Week 94 (and more)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

Since week 77 ATYCLB has been out of the Dutch charts (Album Top 100), so I haven't had much to report in this forum. However, as the summer is often a period of slow sales some albums that linger just outside the charts can have a (short) rebound.

So, has ATYCLB returned to the Dutch charts? No, sorry. But The Best Of 1980-1990 has. This week it has started its 12th chart run. In its 130th week the album grab the chance it got and managed to struggle to #100. OK, so it isn't maybe world-shattering, but hey, you've got to start somewhere.

Hopefully I can stay reporting the coming weeks.

C ya!

Marty

Considering how long that album has been out, it's amazing that it's still able to chart in the top 100. I guess people in Holland can't live without "The Sweetest Thing".

Nah, 130 weeks is nothing. The album Buena Vista Social Club is out for almost 220 weeks (IIRC). Considering the album came out in 1997, it has been in the top 100 almost non-stop.

C ya!

Marty

It's still something since it seems like most of the big rock albums here in the U.S. aren't even in the Top 100 for ten weeks usually.

No SoundScan yet....

For the first time in a while, I haven't received the SoundScan news during the week it was issued. Either my source is on vacation or she just didn't get the data this week.

Therefore, we can only go by estimates. To date, ATYCLB has sold 3,953,220 copies in the U.S. If we assume the album dropped to 5,350 copies this past week (a drop of about 400 copies from last week), which would chart it at around #199 on the charts, that means total sales would be approximately 3,958,600 copies. STING2, if you can access a copy of Billboard to see if ATYCLB is there this past week, we would all be appreciative. We can then estimate sales based on past SoundScan reports and the chart position.

Hopefully my source will send news to see if ATYCLB indeed survived another week in the Top 200 or not. If not, perhaps she'll at least send this week's data (which reports last week's figures).

Regardless, clearly the album will hit 4 million, even if it does take another few months to get there. My prediction was that it would reach this rather lofty plateau, and it appears this is now happening. Yay me. :D

Last edited:
Dr. Who,

Well guess what, you were right, ATYCLB comes in at #199 this week! It stays on chart by the skin of its teeth. I do not know what it sold, but its probably around like you said, 5,350. I also notice that only Linkin Park 95 weeks, and Kenny Chesney 99 weeks, have more weeks than ATYCLB on the Billboard 200 this week. ATYCLB is eligible for only 10 more weeks on the Billboard 200, unless its sales were revived enough to enter the top 100 before the end of that 10 week period. Even if ATYCLB drops off in week 95, it may come back the following week or week 97,98, etc. But unless it is in the top 100 in week 105, it will be placed on the catalog chart in week 105. If week 94 is ATYCLB last week on chart, then will have to wait until week 105 to see it again on the catalog chart.

Back
Top Bottom