Week 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vox02

War Child
In Spain Best Of rises one spot, from #17 to #16!!

Best Of chart run : 1-3-4-7-11-14-17-16

Eight weeks in Top 20! :D:D

Vox!!

Hello,

It is a very busy week for me, so I don't have time to spend much time reporting about the Dutch charts. Sorry. Since last week the # of weeks on the Dutch charts is one week 'behind' compared to those in other countries as there was no chart in the Christmas week.
In its eighth week the album rises 1 position to #6. Last week was supposedly a slow week (the first full week after the holidays), so I expect sales to be minimal. There is a small asterisk to U2's position as the 2 versions are counted together.
Here is the chart run for The Best Of 1990-2000 (16-11-02):
1-1-3-4-4-6-7-6

There are no other U2 albums on the regular album chart and there will not be any other U2 albums on it for a while. In the newly founded Back Catalog Top 50 the only U2 album is The Best Of 1980-1990 at #15. As it is a new chart the # of weeks is 2 (AFAIK, they don't continue with the # of weeks an album had on the regular chart).
The chart run for The Best Of 1980-1990 on the Back Catalog Top 50 is then (4-1-03):
30-15

There are no U2 singles on the singles chart (again a Top 50 since 1 January).

As I said, last week was supposedly a slow week. This is also noticeable on the charts in general. The top 5 of the album chart did not move. On the singles chart it was even the top 9! Thus, Robbie Williams has the #1 album with Escapology and Eminem's Lose Yourself is the #1 single.

C ya!

Marty

Happy new year!:wave:

Finland #29 (25)

Denmark #11 (14)

The Netherlands #6 (7)

Germany #20 (17)

Austria #4 (5)

Switzerland #8 (5)

Italy #6 (4)

Ireland #6 (4)

Spain #16 (17)

The Czech Republic 10 (12)

Belgium #1 (1)

Australia #7 (7)

The UK Best Of & B-Sides #30 (36)
Best Of #62 (48)

Wow,

Still hanging tough in a lot of places around the world! Thanks Maaaaaaan and Popmartian!

Could someone post the chart run for the U.S. for the past few weeks? Hopefully someone kept track. I was on holiday with family and didn't monitor the charts. Also, surprisingly, my source for SoundScan data has been VERY, VERY quiet these past few weeks. Even though I sent a few "reminder" e-mails, she hasn't responded at all - not even a "I didn't get the data that week". Hopefully, she'll send an update soon.

In any event, if we at least have the chart info., that will be of value. Thanks! :)

In the US the Best Of isn't charting well.
While the limited edition with the B-sides was supposed to fade quite soon from the chart, the normal edition is quickly fading too... :(

This week (#9 for the B-sides edition,#8 for the normal one)
is probably the last one for the limited edition on the top100 since it's #100.
The normal edition dropped 24 spots!
Last week it was #64 now is #88... :|

Now the difference between european and american sales for U2 is really big: in Europe the Best Of has already sold 2 millions copies (and I believe IFPI will give it the 3 million achievement in the december awards) while in the USA considering both the editions as one, the Best Of didn't reach the 1 million achievment in a market bigger than Europe...

I missed one week on the chart for the regular edition best of.. This week it is 88 dropping huge from 64, but I can't remember the week before position.

For the limited edition, it's last few weeks have been, 86 - 93 - 100. also dropping fast.

Bastian - how do they count sales in Europe for the double disc? Just one sale or 2 like in the U.S.?

Neither edition of the Best of has been certified yet. When they do the limited edition will be certified platinum and the regular edition will be Gold.

In Europe a double CD only counts as 1 sale in terms of certification - and IFPI certify based on actual sales to consumers, rather than copies shipped.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is certified at 3 million for end of Dec sales, even though the link with the European CD chart hasn't been updated since 14/12 so its chart position is unknown.

The end of year European chart has been issued, but you have to be a subscriber to get the full chart (Shakira topped it).

Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom