Week 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
U2 currentley down 1 place in the UK to number 35 on the midweeks, if it can stay there i think that is slightly positive news as it could show a levelling off.

you know, I'll be the last person here complaining about NLOTH's sales, I just don't care, I'm just interested in the music...
and the truth is, all artists/bands that I listen to are not even close - combied - to U2's total sales...

BUT, NLOTH's sales got me thinking:
Why only US and UK? I know those two markets are probably around 50% or more of U2's total sales so far, but...
The album is going down in US and UK, while it stays at the top in almost every other country, longer than HTDAAB did, I should add.
Why? Is the economy really that bad there? Music taste? technology for illegal downloading? What is it? :huh:
With the tour and 3 more singles, I'm sure the album will go up to 5 maybe 6 mln worldwide and personaly I don't care if that will be 1,5mln from US and UK and 3,5-4,5mln rest of the world... but it's just strange:huh:

you know, I'll be the last person here complaining about NLOTH's sales, I just don't care, I'm just interested in the music...
and the truth is, all artists/bands that I listen to are not even close - combied - to U2's total sales...

BUT, NLOTH's sales got me thinking:
Why only US and UK? I know those two markets are probably around 50% or more of U2's total sales so far, but...
The album is going down in US and UK, while it stays at the top in almost every other country, longer than HTDAAB did, I should add.
Why? Is the economy really that bad there? Music taste? technology for illegal downloading? What is it? :huh:
With the tour and 3 more singles, I'm sure the album will go up to 5 maybe 6 mln worldwide and personaly I don't care if that will be 1,5mln from US and UK and 3,5-4,5mln rest of the world... but it's just strange:huh:

--> it's not the economy! the economy is reflected in total sales maybe, but if U2 drops to position 35, there are 34 albums doing better (no matter what the economy is doing!). Furthermore, the economical crisis is also happening in Netherlands and Spain where he album is number 2 and 1 this week.
--> It's also not the downloading. In Spain and Netherlands everybody is downloading too! And again the position in the charts show popylarity relative to other artists. I don't think U2 is downloaded more than other bands (maybe even less, since there are relative more 'older' fans who still wanna have the physical album.

so what is left? popularity? music taste among young people? Its hiphop and r n b in the US these days. And in the UK, no idea. But it is also remarkable that stadiums are not sold out there...

. But it is also remarkable that stadiums are not sold out there...[/QUOTE]

they haven t sold out in u.s.a. only the 250 dollars ticket....do you call it a flop???u2 are top 5 in uk 2009 album chart...do you call it a flop?....u2 are the best seller worlwide album 2009...do you call it a flop?...u2 are 6 weeks n.1 in the album eurochart....do you call it a flop?u2 are n.2 in usa 2009 album chart ?do you call it a flop..

you are very boring

you are very boring

With such a direct personal attack you're not making your argument better. Instead, your reply to the valid question by phommel looks like even those things cannot be asked in this forum.

But it is also remarkable that stadiums are not sold out there...

they haven t sold out in u.s.a. only the 250 dollars ticket....do you call it a flop???u2 are top 5 in uk 2009 album chart...do you call it a flop?....u2 are the best seller worlwide album 2009...do you call it a flop?...u2 are 6 weeks n.1 in the album eurochart....do you call it a flop?u2 are n.2 in usa 2009 album chart ?do you call it a flop..

Where did he call it a flop? I don't see it.
The real question is, why is the album underperforming (relatively speaking) in the UK and USA compared to the rest of the world? And why are the stadium shows completely soldout in those other countries, while tickets remain in the UK and USA?
We have largely the same economic situation (i.e. a downturn) and Internet access (and thus ease of illegal downloading) is also as high, or even higher, than those two countries. So what's the difference?

Why only US and UK?

Perhaps this might be deemed a bit leftfield but I think ageism might have a role to play in their current chart performances esp with the UK. It's no secret that the UK and the US tend not to forgive musical artists for getting older.......perhaps coming from the general disrespect for the elderly that permeates these countries. (I know u2 aren't using zimmerframes just yet...but still) The rest of Europe as a whole and South America and Asia isn't half as caught up with it and have alot more respect for ageing artists and the ageing as a whole. Also most negative media against U2 has stemmed from the UK and US..............I'm not saying this is the only reason but that perhaps it contributes.

On a positive note Magnificent has been added to A list on both bbc radio 1's and radio 2's playlist. It has also climbed from #82 to #58 on uk i-tunes top 120 rock songs and it is #257 at amazon.co.uk's top downloads, while yesterday it wasn't on the top 400. Let's see if this trend continues in the following updates.

you are very boring

Maybe you should read my comment again, because you completely missed my point. I didn't call anything a flop. The point I wanted to make is that the economic crisis or illegal downloading cannot explain why U2s new album is dropping so much in especially the UK, and in lesser extend in the US, while in the rest of the world tehy are doing extremely well!

And about your last comment, maybe it would be better if you add something to the discussion in stead of talking this nonsense.

Completley agree with Phommel & Popmartijn's comments, much of europe has seen weeks at #1. I think the US chart positions have been good, but very disapointed with the UK. there has clearly been a huge drop in U2 popularity - but why? shows are still unsold, vertigo sold out in a matter of hours.

The point I wanted to make is that the economic crisis or illegal downloading cannot explain why U2s new album is dropping so much in especially the UK, and in lesser extend in the US, while in the rest of the world tehy are doing extremely well!

the rest of the world don't have quality albums debuting weekly, forcing down older albums. only truly international acts and homegrown talent appear in the charts of smaller countries. homegrown talent are few and far between in those countries. why isn't this obvious?

besides, a #1 chart position means nothing if you only need 1000 sold units to get there.

It means your the biggest selling artist in that country that week - bigger than the competition and when considered that they have been #1 for 6 weeks in some countries, that make them the biggest act in the country.
If they were having that level of success in the US & UK, despite the falling album sales, NLOTH would be selling many more millions.

the rest of the world don't have quality albums debuting weekly, forcing down older albums. only truly international acts and homegrown talent appear in the charts of smaller countries. homegrown talent are few and far between in those countries. why isn't this obvious?

Am i missing something? am looking at the UK top 40 albums. I cant see any quality or talent there, homegrown or otherwise.

If we are talking about touring, you can still get tickets to see Coldplay AND oasis on ALL dates of their UK tour, now that is a suprise and shows its not just a U2 thing, as for the vertigo shows selling out within hours that just isnt true, you could still buy tickets to all dates weeks before the shows apart from London.

If we are talking about touring, you can still get tickets to see Coldplay AND oasis on ALL dates of their UK tour, now that is a suprise and shows its not just a U2 thing, as for the vertigo shows selling out within hours that just isnt true, you could still buy tickets to all dates weeks before the shows apart from London.

It's a recession, tour tickets not selling is hardly surprising, U2 probably could of sold 50% as much if they announced the tour 6-12 months ago. U2 tickets are selling incredibly well given the current climate

It's a recession, tour tickets not selling is hardly surprising, U2 probably could of sold 50% as much if they announced the tour 6-12 months ago. U2 tickets are selling incredibly well given the current climate

:up:

Am i missing something? am looking at the UK top 40 albums. I cant see any quality or talent there, homegrown or otherwise.

i'm speaking in a relative sense. does a country like slovenia or austria or switzerland have 5 or 6 album debuts every week that are compelling enough to buy en masse? if so, then U2's ability to stay at the top of those charts is impressive. but that's not the case. no competition in those countries mean a top chart spot every week.

i'm speaking in a relative sense. does a country like slovenia or austria or switzerland have 5 or 6 album debuts every week that are compelling enough to buy en masse? if so, then U2's ability to stay at the top of those charts is impressive. but that's not the case. no competition in those countries mean a top chart spot every week.

Looking at how past U2 albums have done in these countries, NLOTH is doing very well.

In countries like Italy, Spain, Portugal, Japan, its tougher for foreign artist to chart high and stay at the top. Local artist speak and sing in the language of the country giving them a natural advantage. Thats part of the reason why Nickelback can't really make a dent in several of these countries. Most albums that are successful in the USA, struggle when they go outside that market. U2 are one of the few artist that are successful almost everywhere around the globe.

By the way, No Line On The Horizon just went platinum in Russia this week!

Perhaps this might be deemed a bit leftfield but I think ageism might have a role to play in their current chart performances esp with the UK. It's no secret that the UK and the US tend not to forgive musical artists for getting older.......perhaps coming from the general disrespect for the elderly that permeates these countries. (I know u2 aren't using zimmerframes just yet...but still) The rest of Europe as a whole and South America and Asia isn't half as caught up with it and have alot more respect for ageing artists and the ageing as a whole. Also most negative media against U2 has stemmed from the UK and US..............I'm not saying this is the only reason but that perhaps it contributes.

Wow, that IS from left field. Not sure if you're from the UK (Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland, but I think you are really overgeneralizing and it's a bit offensive. Disrespect for the elderly doesn't "permeate" my country. We offer as many benefits to our elderly citizens (maybe more than some other countries) and grandparents are an important part of the American family. There are always going to be instances of neglect or abuse, unfortunately, but this is not the norm and these cases are not isolated to the US or UK. And there are many older singers who are still immensely popular in the U.S. so I'm not sure what you base your statements on. Singers who are popular in the US and are 60 (or approaching it) or older are (just off the top of my head): Donna Summer, Elton John, The Stones, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart (had a #1 album about 2 years ago in the US), Springsteen (recently had a #1 album), etc. If you want to get much older, you have Tony Bennett (82 years young-who as recently as 2007 won a Grammy, and has a huge following). And those who we don't "forgive" for getting older are probably just making crappy music and that's why they are no longer popular.

That's not true. "The rest of the world" have quality albums debuting weekly too. Actually teh largest amount of albums debuting in the USA are out here too. and yes, also homegrown talent. And this gives a very strong competition too! If you would leave out all Dutch debut albums NLOTH would be number 1 for 6 weeks here!

And isn't it only international acts and homegrown talent that appear in the USA charts...?

besides, a #1 chart position means nothing if you only need 1000 sold units to get there.

It means everything. If you look at the popularity of artists, the number 1 is always the most popular. If you are number 35 in the UK chart and you sell 1000 copies and the same artist is number 1 in Malta selling 1000 copies, then that artist is many times more popular in Malta than it is in the UK.

And isn't it only international acts and homegrown talent that appear in the USA charts...?

I'm sure you could find some exceptions...like if Susan Doyle put out an album tomorrow here in the US it would probably go to #1 (just because of the human interest factor--I'm not interested, I think a lot of the reaction was planned...not saying she doesn't have a nice voice though) and she was only introduced to the US a couple of weeks ago because of her youtube hits and human interest quality.

But in general you are probably right.

But reletive speaking U2 is doing less well in USA and especially the UK.

In slovenia, Austria or Switzerland the choice is high too! In the album top 75 in austria there are 9 new entries, if you look at billboard there are 11 in the top 100 (and 9 in the top 75).

something else: it is really amazing that NLOTH AND GOYB are still no1 in Spain!!

I'm sure you could find some exceptions...like if Susan Doyle put out an album tomorrow here in the US it would probably go to #1 (just because of the human interest factor--I'm not interested, I think a lot of the reaction was planned...not saying she doesn't have a nice voice though) and she was only introduced to the US a couple of weeks ago because of her youtube hits and human interest quality.

But in general you are probably right.

I agree on susan boyle.. but she is hyped everywhere now! (which makes her an 'international artist'?) The whole world knows about her. If Susan Boyle puts out an album it will be available here in the Netherlands too, if it gets number 1 I don't know. But the competition is strong everywhere

Album sales might be weak but if you visit the "Will U2 Sell Out US Stadiums?" thread you'll see that U2 is set to have record attendance at its stadium shows in the US, so I think you cannot discount illegal downloading as a major reason why US and probably UK album sales are weak...plus they need to release another single and get some airplay!!! I think US radio has had Magnificent for a couple of weeks now but I know I have not heard it on the radio. We need to get a campaign going to get that song on the air.

Oh you're right on Susan "Boyle," not Doyle.

You know folks, we have become so acquainted with U2 outdoing all expectations every time a new album or tour comes around, that when they just have a "really good" album with "really good" sales, we cry foul because it isn't the best they have ever done and it isn't selling better than their other albums. At the very least, U2 is having a lot of success with this album. They are still outselling the competition in total sales this year, they are selling loads of tickets to enormous stadiums that most other artists wouldn't dream off playing, and the album is actually pretty good, if not great.

All in all, U2 is doing pretty well with this album and tour. :up:

You're looking at those countries as if they are the UK or US (U2 strong holds). The question is how many english speaking acts top these charts this long? Quality to an american is different from quality to a slovenian (is that right?). For example, Kelly Clarkson is competition to U2 in the US but not in Austria....Im just saying, you have to have perspective.

Oh, and I still know you are filled with hate and anger and that your true identity is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqqGSviZWc&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom