Week 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
likewise with most of Asia. Where English isnt the primary spoken language its hardly reasonable to expect the largest market component to be anything other than local.

U2 have never played Russia, have they? Might be "on the horizon" for them next year.

U2 have played Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Greece, but that is as far East that they have played in Europe to this point. Also, remember that to go platinum in Russia may involve sales as low as 50,000 albums. I'm not sure exactly how many units you have to sell to go platinum in Russia.

Also, remember that to go platinum in Russia may involve sales as low as 50,000 albums. I'm not sure exactly how many units you have to sell to go platinum in Russia.

Platinum in Russia = 20,000 (for internationally produced material)
100,000 for domestically produced material, so the answer is 20,000...at least according to Wikipedia...not a good source but the only one I could find.

Album sales might be weak but if you visit the "Will U2 Sell Out US Stadiums?" thread you'll see that U2 is set to have record attendance at its stadium shows in the US, so I think you cannot discount illegal downloading as a major reason why US and probably UK album sales are weak...plus they need to release another single and get some airplay!!! I think US radio has had Magnificent for a couple of weeks now but I know I have not heard it on the radio. We need to get a campaign going to get that song on the air.

Oh you're right on Susan "Boyle," not Doyle.

Of course illegal downloading cannot be discounted! It is probably THE main reason that US/UK/European album sales are weak! But assuming that every artist is downloaded, the charts still reflect differences in popularity. If U2 is at position 35 in week 7 this means that in that week 34 other artists are more popular.
If you look at how U2 is doing (chart positions/album sales/tixket sales) in the whole world, it is clear that it is THE most popular band in the world!!
So it is remarkable what is happening with U2 in the UK!

Haha susan Boyle/Doyle, who cares? It is unbelievable what a hype this is around the world. Globalisation has many bad influences...

Wow, that IS from left field. Not sure if you're from the UK (Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland, but I think you are really overgeneralizing and it's a bit offensive. Disrespect for the elderly doesn't "permeate" my country. We offer as many benefits to our elderly citizens (maybe more than some other countries) and grandparents are an important part of the American family. There are always going to be instances of neglect or abuse, unfortunately, but this is not the norm and these cases are not isolated to the US or UK. And there are many older singers who are still immensely popular in the U.S. so I'm not sure what you base your statements on. Singers who are popular in the US and are 60 (or approaching it) or older are (just off the top of my head): Donna Summer, Elton John, The Stones, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Rod Stewart (had a #1 album about 2 years ago in the US), Springsteen (recently had a #1 album), etc. If you want to get much older, you have Tony Bennett (82 years young-who as recently as 2007 won a Grammy, and has a huge following). And those who we don't "forgive" for getting older are probably just making crappy music and that's why they are no longer popular.

Ok First off.......Apologies If I offended as it was not my intention. I know I made a generalisation but record sales are reflective of the general record buying public which are made up of a cross section of everyone so it's hard not to sometimes. I know the Americans and the Irish and the British "generally speaking" love their grandparents but from what I can see they are also seem more likely to throw them into an old folks home ahead of say...the Spanish or the Italians! For the record, I'm from the republic of Ireland (or just Ireland) and I think we're just as bad here with our attitudes towards the elderly. But yes I do think many out there would like to see U2 bow out gracefully and enter the old folks home / elephants graveyard of music where many (not all!) of the artists you mentioned currently reside as shadows of their former creative selves, rather than have them try to remain somewhat relevant, experimental and cutting edge............and so for sure alot of the kids hate or dislike U2 purely because they're old and this factor no doubt has also affected record sales in certain countries particularly the US and UK/Ireland, and that was really I guess the point I was making.

Apologies in advance If I've offended anyone and yes this has kind of gone off topic a bit too so sorry for that too! :reject:

U2 have played Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Greece, but that is as far East that they have played in Europe to this point. Also, remember that to go platinum in Russia may involve sales as low as 50,000 albums. I'm not sure exactly how many units you have to sell to go platinum in Russia.

Platinum means 20,000 copies shipped in Russia, which is what U2's recent album sold.

Poland:

Week 8

NLOTH:
1-1-1-1-2-3-3- 5

...and just to compare...
HTDAAB:
1-1-3-5-6-4-8-11-8-12-18-15........

---
new Depeche Mode album at #1

:wave:

This isn't really relevant but I think people will find it interesting

Overall Album Sales in the UK
1999: 113,779,000
2000: 134,125,063
2001: 145,235,988
2002: 149,227,012
2003: 159,240,000
2004: 163,214,583
2005: 159,118,610
2006: 154,984,674
2007: 136,486,733
2008: 133,643,773

The UK market in albums peaked in 2004 and has dropped only about 20% since although it's down a lot this year. It's a massive contrast to the US

This isn't really relevant but I think people will find it interesting

Overall Album Sales in the UK
1999: 113,779,000
2000: 134,125,063
2001: 145,235,988
2002: 149,227,012
2003: 159,240,000
2004: 163,214,583
2005: 159,118,610
2006: 154,984,674
2007: 136,486,733
2008: 133,643,773

The UK market in albums peaked in 2004 and has dropped only about 20% since although it's down a lot this year. It's a massive contrast to the US

very interesting :up:
2009 will quite likely see album sales down to 1999 levels, but back then illegal downloading / CD copying wasnt really an issue & legal downloading wasnt even thought of.

2009 will quite likely see album sales down to 1999 levels, but back then illegal downloading / CD copying wasnt really an issue & legal downloading wasnt even thought of.

recession plus all but one main cd seller closing down, yeah even without illegal downloading sales are gonna plummet this year

Actually, 1999/2000 was the height of popularity of Napster. So illegal downloading was already quite widespread.

No suprise with Ireland really, i mean people who wanted the album there will have bought it in the first few weeks, and i heard that they had the largest first week sales since HTDAAB!.

and imo great news for the UK, as at first it was set to drop a place or 2.

True, but we gotta take any good news we get at the moment.

Definitely, I can't imagine it being bad though I mean there's no reason for sales to bomb in the market. I'd imagine sales are either steady or down slightly. A small increase is possible but a large increase or drop I'd highly doubt

No suprise with Ireland really, i mean people who wanted the album there will have bought it in the first few weeks, and i heard that they had the largest first week sales since HTDAAB!.

and imo great news for the UK, as at first it was set to drop a place or 2.

Bomb went 10 times platinum in the end in Ireland, I wonder what this one will manage.

I'm taking a break from studying right now, I'm gonna see if I can find the Bomb's chart run before I go back to it

NLOTH's Irish chart run

1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 6 - 7 - 13

Bomb's Irish chart run

1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 5 - 10 - 10 - 13

ATYCLB's Irish chart run

1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 7 - 6

NLOTH's Irish chart run

1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 6 - 7 - 13

Bomb's Irish chart run

1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 5 - 10 - 10 - 13

ATYCLB's Irish chart run

1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 7 - 6

incredible chart run for Bomb. especially considered that was throughout the chrismtas perios. bomb spent 3 times longer than NLOTH and in my personal opinion its 3 times a better album (i know others will disagree:wink:)

Good news from the UK, i guess thats due to Maginficent having hight airplay. really we should see this album shooting up the charts in the next 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom