Week 71

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:
Mediatraffic says TI King sold 526,000 copies around the world this week. Soundscan info above shows that 521,702 copies were sold in the United States alone. That leaves only 4,298 in sales outside the United States. Probably almost all from Canada where the album came in at #24

They've probably included the 1,700 street violations too.

Re: Re: Rest of Billboard for this week

STING2 said:

Hey, does the Billboard International Section have charts for Brazil, Chile, and Mexico?

They definitly had the top 10 albums for Mexico a few of weeks back. But i believe these charts are bi-weekly / fortnightly which i think explains why they definitly haven't included the Mexican top 10 in the latest edition i just saw.

Coldplay - X&Y

Germany #17 (18)
Italy #35 (71)
France #13 (14)
Australia #32 (33)
Belgium #6 (4)
Netherlands #44 (44)

The question is if that's enough for 53k. However, good positions in a few important countries.

edge3 said:
Well, i now see that they have X&Y with 73k at # 30 & the # 40 album at 60k this week... how the fxxk ?! that's 8k more than the # 40 last week, double what Bomb did at # 40 in week 41 & there's been no massive increases in, for example, the UK & US album charts this week - big decreases actually & a v.small week for overall album sales...i'm really starting to believe that they've changed their system since they started showing the figures, 3 months ago.
In US only the #40 sold 23.5k this week. Week 40/41 are between the poorest of the year just preceding all massive release of the end of the year. Look at the low weeks this year end of january/debut February, the last album in the mediatraffic sold barely 40k.

About Coldplay, they are very high in many European countries thanks to a mid price campaign. It is #13 in France, #17 in Germany, #4 in Belgium, #5 in Portugal, #13 in Denmark etc... They still top 30 or Top 40 in nearly every country (Canada, New Zeland, Australia, Italia, Ireland, Sweden, Argentina etc...).

Just 2 weeks of sales of 37/38k for # 40 at Mediatraffic & the rest virtually all above 45/50k...

This time last year Bomb was # 17/16 at Mediatraffic with sales of just 63/64k so, again, unless they've changed their method of calculation how the fxxk can X&Y now be at # 30/29 with 73/75k !?

& the # 40 now at 60k !? with no major overall increases in UK/US album chart this week (21% drop in UK in fact) !? lol.

Last edited:
Zoovation said:
Coldplay - X&Y

Germany #17 (18)
Italy #35 (71)
France #13 (14)
Australia #32 (33)
Belgium #6 (4)
Netherlands #44 (44)

The question is if that's enough for 53k. However, good positions in a few important countries.

With those positions i would think something like :

Germany 12k
France 9k (right MJ ?)
Italy 4k
Australia 3k
Belgium 5k
Netherlands 2k
Total = 35k

+UK & US (=20k)
+Spain : # 36 (=3k)

= approx 58k in these 9 (major) markets.

Conclusion : another 15k in ROW is possible but i'm still quite amazed that 73k can now make # 30 at Mediatraffic, at this time of the year (& 60k for # 40).

Last edited:
edge3 said:

Germany 12k
France 9k (right MJ ?)
Italy 4k
Australia 3k
Belgium 5k
Netherlands 2k
Total = 35k

+UK & US (=20k)

Conclusion : another 15k in ROW is possible but i'm still quite amazed that 73k can now make # 30 at Mediatraffic, at this time of the year (& 60k for # 40).

Germany 12k
France 9k
Italy 4k
Australia 3k
Belgium 5k
Netherlands 2k
UK 10k
USA 10k
Spain 3k
Canada 2.5k

From just these 10 countries, total sales are 60,500 copies. Sales in Ireland at #22 were probably about 500 copies. An average of just 500 copies sold across 25 other countries would put the album at 73,000 copies for the week. Given that it is still charting in most countries around the world, this is very likely to be the case.

As for the market as a whole, sometimes its up, and sometimes its down. Just look at the difference in the USA market from 2001 to 2005. In addition, since this is a global chart, their current top 40 may simply reflect the fact that there are a number of albums that are currently enjoying stronger widespread global appeal in comparison to albums on chart a year ago. Overall album sales may be not much different, its just that these albums are selling better across a large number of countries.

Your more likely to see such wild fluctuations on a global chart than an individual country chart.

Around the world for U2 in the charts

It's pretty amazing just how well U2 is doing around the world right now, at least to me, when they have basically disappeared for the time being. Here are just a few rankings I found in looking for U2 on the charts of the countries that we don't always see each week (too long to list them all):

First, OOTS is around #15 on Triple A Radio this week according to all three major radio play monitors for the U.S.

Argentina - April 1 chart - HTDAAB #16 on album chart
Singles chart - April 2 - OOTS is at #16

Latvia Airplay Top 50
One with MJB & U2 debuts at 17 on April 2 chart

Switzerland
One at #47 on Download chart April 2

Hungary
One at #19 on Radio Top 40

Luxembourg
OOTS at #10 on Radio Top 40

Latin America Top 40 Singles
One at #16, OOTS at #29

Netherland Antilles Top 40 Singles
OOTS at #11

Israel Weekly Top 35
OOTS at #18

Turkey Weekly Top 40
One at #8

Venezuala Hit Parade Top 20
OOTS at #2

Chile Top 100 Singles
OOTS at #43
COBL at #96
Vertigo Live from Chicago #1 on Top 10 DVD chart

whats every1s thoughts on whether this new version of 'one' with mary j blige, can increase any U2 album sales, bomb, achtung, best of 90's ?

i dont think it'll help much / at all.

ybird3k said:
whats every1s thoughts on whether this new version of 'one' with mary j blige, can increase any U2 album sales, bomb, achtung, best of 90's ?

i dont think it'll help much / at all.

There will probably be a small increase for Achtung and Best of 90s since the original version of One is on those releases, but thats it.

I'd say the sales would be more like this for Coldplay...

Germany 7-8k (this market has shrunk a lot lately, HTDAAB charted quite well here but still has sold only about 400k)
France 7k
Italy 2k (roughly same size market as Australia)
Australia 2k
Belgium 2k (small market, look how well HTDAAB did and still only 100k)
Netherlands 1k
Spain 1.5k (about the same size market as Australia)

One thing I've learnt is to not always go by the population size (eg. Italy 60million same size market as Australia 20million)

edge3 said:

Germany 12k
France 9k (right MJ ?)
Italy 4k
Australia 3k
Belgium 5k
Netherlands 2k
Total = 35k

+UK & US (=20k)

ChargedVT said:

Germany 7-8k (this market has shrunk a lot lately, HTDAAB charted quite well here but still has sold only about 400k)
France 7k
Australia 2k
Netherlands 1k

One thing I've learnt is to not always go by the population size (eg. Italy 60million same size market as Australia 20million)

Yes, you're definitely right about those figures ChargedVT (i originally posted them too fast & therefore without much thought). So...

23.5k (from those 7 countries) + 20k (UK & US) + 2.5k (CANADA) + 500 (IRELAND) = approx 46.5k in these 11 markets. So actually quite a difference from 61k.

Now, MediaTraffic cover about another 12-14 countries. So, question is could there be another 26.5k from these ? that's about an average of 2k in each...:hmm:...does actually seem a bit high.

& would you believe it !? that HitList site has X&Y at # 42 for the week with global sales of 45,100 :

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

Unbelievable !

ChargedVT said:

France 7k
Australia 2k
Netherlands 1k

Population is sometimes a better indicator of sales rather than the countries gold and platinum levels, although generally the opposite is true. Platinum in Italy used to be 200,000 which is nearly 3 times that of Australia. The platinum level is now 100,000 , but I'd say the market size is still more than double that of Australia.

edge3 said:

Yes, you're definitely right about those figures ChargedVT (i originally posted them too fast & therefore without much thought). So...

23.5k (from those 7 countries) + 20k (UK & US) + 2.5k (CANADA) + 500 (IRELAND) = approx 46.5k in these 11 markets. So actually quite a difference from 61k.

Now, MediaTraffic cover about another 12-14 countries. So, question is could there be another 26.5k from these ? that's about an average of 2k in each...:hmm:...does actually seem a bit high.

& would you believe it !? that HitList site has X&Y at # 42 for the week with global sales of 45,100 :

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

Unbelievable !

You realize what albums sell in the Spring of 2005 vs. the Spring of 2006 is not necessarily going to be the same. Even on individual country charts, you can see difference between various years. Hell just look at the massive difference between 2001 and 2005 in the United States.

Why would mediatraffic drop an excellent system which used soundscan retail sales for some inaccurate system of counting sales? I don't think anything has changed at all, and the fact that the number 40 album is selling 60,000 copies a week vs. 40,000 last year does not prove that something has changed. Remember, they only started presenting the weekly sales for each position in January, and previous to this I always thought the #40 position was usually at the 50,000 level. In any event, the global market can change like that, plus these individual albums currently in the top 40 may simply be more widely popular around the globe than the batch that was on the chart last year.

In the next few weeks, there may be a release of an album where all the sales are from United States/Canada and if it is an album that charts in the 30s on mediatraffic, you can compare the soundscan number as well as any Canadian sale info to the mediatraffic number. As long as its an album that is only charting in North America, it would be an excellant check on the accuracy of the upper part of the mediatraffic chart.

Perhaps one day mediatraffic will show individual country sales or regional sales figures for each album. In general their sales have lined up well with what we know from RIAA, IFPI, and other countries shipment certifications for albums that have been out a year or two at which point shipments and actual sales are in line with each other or are close together.

STING2 said:

Population is sometimes a better indicator of sales rather than the countries gold and platinum levels, although generally the opposite is true. Platinum in Italy used to be 200,000 which is nearly 3 times that of Australia. The platinum level is now 100,000 , but I'd say the market size is still more than double that of Australia.

Platinum in Italy is now 80,000 actually. It's 70,000 in Australia so i don't think album sales are that much greater in Italy - probably about 0.5 to 0.8 x bigger.

Also, the latest official world music market retail value figures show that Australia, at 7th, was actually higher than Italy, at 8th, in 2005.

STING2 said:

You realize what albums sell in the Spring of 2005 vs. the Spring of 2006 is not necessarily going to be the same. Even on individual country charts, you can see difference between various years. Hell just look at the massive difference between 2001 and 2005 in the United States.

Yes i do, but i'm just not so sure there should be such a HUGE difference : Bomb did 63/64k this time last year at #'s 16/17 now its 120/110k for those exact same positions !

Why would mediatraffic drop an excellent system which used soundscan retail sales for some inaccurate system of counting sales? I don't think anything has changed at all,

Well, they changed it before.

...and the fact that the number 40 album is selling 60,000 copies a week vs. 40,000 last year does not prove that something has changed. Remember, they only started presenting the weekly sales for each position in January, and previous to this I always thought the #40 position was usually at the 50,000 level. In any event, the global market can change like that, plus these individual albums currently in the top 40 may simply be more widely popular around the globe than the batch that was on the chart last year.
[/B]

It's actually 60,000 now for # 40 vrs 31,000 back in early Autumn/Fall 2005 - that's still, a BIG, almost 100%, difference - & vrs 52,000 last week...& with no big increases in US & UK market that week & a v.small week for overall artist album sales (in UK / US). & i believe they don't have the actual sales for most other countries anyway (mainly use a points system). So i'd just like to know : how, exactly, have MediaTraffics' latest sales figures seemingly gone up so much ? lol.

Last edited:
edge3 said:

Yes i do, but i'm just not so sure there should be such a HUGE difference : Bomb did 63/64k this time last year at #'s 16/17 now its 120/110k for those exact same positions !

Well, they changed it before.

It's actually 60,000 now for # 40 vrs 31,000 back in early Autumn/Fall 2005 - that's still, a BIG, almost 100%, difference - & vrs 52,000 last week...& with no big increases in US & UK market that week & a v.small week for overall artist album sales (in UK / US). & i believe they don't have the actual sales for most other countries anyway (mainly use a points system). So i'd just like to know : how, exactly, have MediaTraffics' latest sales figures seemingly gone up so much ? lol.

A Global chart of the top 40 albums cannot be compared to a an individual countries chart and market swings. An album that is only released in Japan can top the Global chart for weeks. In addition, several dozen albums with broader global appeal than albums charting last year, could easily raise the sales totals.

Mediatraffic has stated they only use precise sales info ever since April 2004. Prior to that they used estimates and precise sales info.

The key check on everything is total sales for various albums and their comparison to the total shipments for that album. If the sales of the album are way out of line with RIAA, IFPI, and other shipment totals, then that would indicate that there is a problem. When I first saw mediatraffic, I was doubtful about the information they provided, but when I checked their sales totals for various albums, I noticed they corresponded very well with the Shipment data.

One of these weeks, there should be a US or North American only release that sales around 60,000 or 70,000 copies. Provided it charts on mediatraffic with that number in the upper reaches of the chart, then I'd say everything is ok with the system.

edge3 said:

Platinum in Italy is now 80,000 actually. It's 70,000 in Australia so i don't think album sales are that much greater in Italy - probably about 0.5 to 0.8 x bigger.

Also, the latest official world music market retail value figures show that Australia, at 7th, was actually higher than Italy, at 8th, in 2005.

80,000? When I looked at that UKMIX FORUM, the Italian expert was saying that platinum was 100,000. Is this a recent change? Its shocking that Australia would be 7th in the world with only 20 million people. I guess their not into file sharing and CD burning yet.

edge3 said:

It's only a different moment of the year. We are in a BIG period for sales, with many strong new albums. In USA, 6 albums are over 120k this week 1 of them is over 700k, in France the #1 sold 142k in 1 day, the #2 album sold 46k and nearly all the top 10 is over 10k, in Japan it's the first week since nearly 1 month that the #1 sold less than 200k. In one week like for the mother's day sales can be up of 20% or 30%, so in months... !
Sales have not change in mediatraffic. The only difference is that they get recently accurate sales for new countries like France & Japan, this change nearly nothing for sales of "global" albums (U2, Coldplay, Madonna etc...) but their chart position is likely to be a bit lower, because of local acts of countries named before which are now charted in mediatraffic while 1 year ago they are not. We will see this summer if sales still as high as at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom