Week 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 are becoming like the Rolling Stones, except they're younger, and they don't look like corpses, and their music charts somewhat better (new RS albums are totally irrelevant), and, most importantly, they're making some of the best music of their lives. In short, they're being forced down by market stereotypes and a public with a short attention-span.

It's kinda sad.

I agree with the market stereotypes theory but lets give Magnificent a little more time. May 4th its "officially" released. What that means is that a video should be out and an edit version of the song will be delivered to radio stations. It is my understanding that some (maybe more than less or less than more) radio stations will NOT play a song unless it it officially released or if there is no edit (shorter than the 5+ that the song is. Also, IF Magnificent takes off and they release Breathe....WOW. But who knows.....

with the official release in 2 weeks time, #36 on airplay is not great to say the least

You are looking at this chart in a negative manner.

The song just jumped from #59 to #36! That's 23 spots up in one week. While I don't expect that type of jump again, if it continues to rise, the song could well be in the Top 20 by its official release date.

U2 are becoming like the Rolling Stones, except they're younger, and they don't look like corpses, and their music charts somewhat better (new RS albums are totally irrelevant), and, most importantly, they're making some of the best music of their lives. In short, they're being forced down by market stereotypes and a public with a short attention-span.

It's kinda sad.

So are you saying that U2 is irrelevant?

If U2 is irrelevant, then how can any band be relevant? They have outsold the 2nd top selling album of 2009 (after almost 4 months) by a 2-1 margin. Does it take a 3-1 margin to "relevant"? I just don't get all this talk. Sure, sales are down. But sales for everyone are down. Just look at Kelly Clarkson. She has instant hit singles, she's considered "relevant", but her album isn't selling nearly as much as U2 and she couldn't pack one tenth the live audience that U2 can. :shrug:

Australia #18 (#11), with sales approx 2,200 this week.
For Australia this is quite poor, but then I have seen zero promotion since the release of the album. Total sales thus far are about 68,000 plus whatever they sold on the first day of release (which was a Friday and wasn't counted in that week's chart). To put things into perspective, at week 7 HTDAAB had sold 194,000 here (Yeah, I know - Xmas rush, etc, but still!)

Sales in the UK this week are between 4000 and 6000. Most likely around 5000

Another large percentage drop, with no levelling off

Once this tour kicks off U2 will start pushing units in the UK. The media attention & show reviews will put NLOTH back on charts. This tour is suppose to be the biggest stadium show ever.

Were about 60 days away from opening night...:hyper:

60 days is over 8 weeks and it's not hitting the UK for a while after that, I'm starting to worry that'll be too late, the album may be off the charts within a month

60 days is over 8 weeks and it's not hitting the UK for a while after that, I'm starting to worry that'll be too late, the album may be off the charts within a month

Yes, unless Magnificent becomes a hit (moderate at least). I suppose May is the key month for NLOTH as far as sales are concerned.

Yes, unless Magnificent becomes a hit (moderate at least). I suppose May is the key month for NLOTH as far as sales are concerned.

All the album's hopes are pretty much on Magnificent
If Magnificent is successful the album will stay in the charts for a while, and then the tour and other singles will help it more. If Magnificent flops the album will only fall faster

The world is coming to an end :)

In all honesty I think the album is doing just fine based on the level of promotion it has recieved since release it is still a Top 5 album world wide and the tour hasnt started yet.

I however would call the UK Tour sales disappointing as you can still get tickets to any show you want except for the first Wembley Stadium show which sold out, the rest still have tickets available.

Maybe the UK just doesnt like U2 like they used to. I hope U2 dont take some peoples reaction to this album too hard and become an adult contemporary group just to sell albums because if they do that it would definately be time to retire.

Things should pick up once the tour rolls around emphisis on should, because it really didnt when POP was out.

Depends how people dig the songs live.

AC/DC has much more brisk ticket sales then U2 world wide for their tour right now and they could be adding second shows but arent. I know that will be hard for some people to admit to here but that is the facts.

I will enjoy this tour myself and I hope others will as well that got tickets for it...the ones that still know U2 are the best are the ones that count :)

I bet once the tour dates draw near, U2 sells out all shows in the U.K. and the album bounces back nicely on the charts.

U2 are gambling, IMO, that the slow release of "Magnificent" will help them. An album can have a hit song years after its released so there's no need to rush a release. Still, it's a bit of a gamble. U2 are sacrificing some album sales now with the hope that the song builds up tremendously just as U2 are about to perform in the U.K. If that gamble works, it will easily propel NLOTH back into the Top 10 and maybe Top 5. A hit song plus live shows will give the album a huge boost.

But if the song doesn't continue to gain momentum (and based on the U.K. airplay charts, it is building slowly but nicely each week), the album sales may suffer some. Still, the excitement of U2 touring there will still give both the album and ticket sales a boost.

Keep in mind, U2 could have performed in arenas and sold out everywhere in seconds, adding third, fourth, and fifth shows in some cities. But a stadium is harder to sell. Don't let one city determine who is selling out more tickets. Based on an article I read regarding U2 at Croke Park, U2 are the biggest selling act right now. So anyone can spin numbers how they want.

Keep in mind, U2 could have performed in arenas and sold out everywhere in seconds, adding third, fourth, and fifth shows in some cities. But a stadium is harder to sell. Don't let one city determine who is selling out more tickets. Based on an article I read regarding U2 at Croke Park, U2 are the biggest selling act right now. So anyone can spin numbers how they want.

Keep in mind too that many UK fans will be going to the Croke Park shows. I know that if I were that close to Dublin, I'd be going to those shows...that would be a dream...those shows will be magic...but I'd also try to go to all the UK shows as well :)

I think Magnificent will be long gone from the UK charts by the time the tour hits, singles usually peak with the physical release. Which is in 2 weeks and the song isn't even charting yet

The world is coming to an end :)

I however would call the UK Tour sales disappointing as you can still get tickets to any show you want except for the first Wembley Stadium show which sold out, the rest still have tickets available.

:)

You do realize that U2 is playing IN THE ROUND. Its the first time there has been a full UK tour IN THE ROUND. U2 will set the attendance record for each venue they are playing in the UK. In addition, they will play to MORE people with 5 stadium shows this time, than they did with 6 stadium shows on Vertigo. Just with this leg, with the exception of ZOO TV, it will be the highest attended U2 tour of the United Kingdom in history.

Also, remember that even ZOO TV UK had shows that did not sellout.

AC/DC has much more brisk ticket sales then U2 world wide for their tour right now and they could be adding second shows but arent. I know that will be hard for some people to admit to here but that is the

Where, what shows? I don't see this at all. AC/DC has mainly been playing in arena's without seats behind the stage at lower ticket prices. U2 is playing ALL STADIUMS at HIGHER TICKET PRICES.

U2 are way ahead of AC/DC in the touring department. AC/DC is more on par with a band like Coldplay.

It's kinda sad.

When was the last time the Rolling Stones had the #1 album of the year?

Top Selling Albums in 2009
1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 2.408.000
2. Lady Gaga The Fame 1.360.000
3. Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream 1.344.000
4. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 1.304.000
5. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 1.279.000
6. Soundtrack Twilight 1.271.000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 1.215.000
8. Pink Funhouse 995.000
9. Nickelback Dark Horse 963.000
10. Britney Spears Circus 951.000

Notice that so far in 2009, U2 has outsold every other album by more than 1 million copies or by nearly 2 to 1 margin!

AC/DC sold out every show they have played on this tour in less then 20 minutes. The ticket prices are lower on average yes but even if they were not lower theyde outsell U2 and I would put money on it.

They sold out GM Place in 4 minutes and BC Place in 15, U2 still has tickets available for BC Place. AC/DC could be adding second concerts and selling them out as well, and Black Ice will outsell No Line On The Horizon.

Does that mean AC/DC is a better band...nope but they are more popular by a long ways right now.

I really could care less what anybody in this forum thinks because it is U2 biast and always has been. Go to Ebay and see what 2 GA AC/DC tickets are going to compared to 2 U2 GA tickets. No comparison.

AC/DC sold out every show they have played on this tour in less then 20 minutes. The ticket prices are lower on average yes but even if they were not lower theyde outsell U2 and I would put money on it.

Well, then why are tickets still available on the lower level for Gillette Stadium near Boston and Giants Stadium near New York City? U2 soldout both stadiums playing IN THE ROUND. The capacity for the two soldout Giant Stadium shows near New York City is 82,000 per show, or 164,000 for both shows combined! The capacity AC/DC at Giants Stadium is 60,000 and its NOT soldout, not even close.

U2 are playing two shows with a 72,000 capacity at Gillette Stadium near Boston. 1 show Soldout, 2nd show nearing a sellout. AC/DC are playing one show with a max capacity there of 55,000 and its NOT soldout. Tickets still available on the lower level for their show.

They sold out GM Place in 4 minutes and BC Place in 15, U2 still has tickets available for BC Place. AC/DC could be adding second concerts and selling them out as well, and Black Ice will outsell No Line On The Horizon.

Well, AC/DC has not visited Vancouver since 2000/2001. U2 were there in 2001 for the Elevation tour, and again in 2005 for the Vertigo tour. But no matter, rest assured, when the Boxscore comes in for both shows, U2's show will be the higher attended one and the higher grossing one. In fact, the U2 360 show at the BC Place will be the highest attended concert and highest grossing concert in the history of British Columbia!

Black Ice has essentially stop selling at this point, signifcant sales, NLOTH is still selling and will continue to sell through the year into next.

Does that mean AC/DC is a better band...nope but they are more popular by a long ways right now.

LOL. AC/DC would like to be able to play stadiums in the USA, but their stopping with the one show in Boston and one show in New York City because they cannot sell those two shows out. Those shows are taking place in two of the largest markets in the United States. If you can't sellout stadiums there, then your unlikely to be in demand enough to play stadiums anywhere else in the USA.

The current U2 tour will likely play to over 6 million people and gross between $600 and $700 million dollars. By contrast AC/DC will play to less than half as many people and only gross around $250 million dollars.

I really could care less what anybody in this forum thinks because it is U2 biast and always has been. Go to Ebay and see what 2 GA AC/DC tickets are going to compared to 2 U2 GA tickets. No comparison.

No bias here, just the FACTS. Billboard - Music News Magazine for Fans and Music Executives - Music Search has an area of its website called "top concerts" or "Boxscore". Click on that each Wendsday during the tour to get the latest attendance and gross figures and you'll see what I'm talking about.

AC/DC are only a larger draw than U2 in Vancouver, Minneapolis and a few other Mid-Western markets.

AC/DC have filled or sold out stadiums shows all across Canada for their summer North American leg this year. That's Moncton, Montreal, Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Vancouver. A record third show at the Rogers Centre in Toronto (two others happened earlier on this tour) will go on sale shortly. This is because concert/sales demand for AC/DC has tripled in Canada since 2001, when they last hit the road. In fact, in North America, AC/DC's catalogue outsold The Beatles catalogue in 2008. Btw, at least two other American cities will be getting stadiums shows this summer (Dallas and Chicago)...

I know AC/DC didn't sellout their Columbus show. 13,000 sold / 18,000 available. I'm sure that LiveNation says it was "sold out", as in "every ticket we put on sale was sold" bullshit. I was there... it was not sold out. I was at the "sold out" Police show in Columbus last year... it was also not sold out by a long shot.

Anywho, I say we be in charge of NLOTH's promotion from here on out! I know we have no training in marketing a record, but apparently neither do the people who currently have that job. If the band would spend some money on promotion, maybe grease the wheels for the radio stations, download their own song a couple thousand times, "Magnificent" could actually become a hit, NLOTH would become a hit, and 360 would sell out completely. Look at Viva La Vida... it only had one hit song, but it's still selling on the strength of that one hit. HTDAAB had one hit. ATYCLB had BD, but don't underestimate how much Walk On, Stuck and Elevation helped it. NLOTH currently has only GOYB... lol

I know AC/DC didn't sellout their Columbus show. 13,000 sold / 18,000 available. I'm sure that LiveNation says it was "sold out", as in "every ticket we put on sale was sold" bullshit. I was there... it was not sold out. I was at the "sold out" Police show in Columbus last year... it was also not sold out by a long shot.

and what's to say that U2's "Sold Out" shows will really be sellouts?? Nothing. We'll just have to wait and see.

In looking at that link from above, I'm very surprised that Springsteen couldn't sell out a Denver arena show.

and what's to say that U2's "Sold Out" shows will really be sellouts?? Nothing. We'll just have to wait and see.

In looking at that link from above, I'm very surprised that Springsteen couldn't sell out a Denver arena show.

If they stop selling tickets a show is pretty much sold out, if the show is announced as sold out on the day or close to the day it is not sold out and just decided to stop selling tickets

Anywho, I say we be in charge of NLOTH's promotion from here on out! I know we have no training in marketing a record, but apparently neither do the people who currently have that job. If the band would spend some money on promotion

It's not the band who's spending money on promotion (or deciding on release schedules of singles, etc.) but the record company. They are dropping the ball. Maybe they don't consider U2 a high-priority act anymore (and who knows what U2/Paul McGuinness are doing in the background to fire up the record company to do its job).

maybe grease the wheels for the radio stations

I think you suggested this a couple of times over the past few weeks, but you do know that's illegal, right? Payola (as that kind of practise is called) is forbidden. It's not allowed to pay radio stations/DJs (directly) to play your songs.

download their own song a couple thousand times

Same here. And you'll get a huge backlash when (no, not if) this comes out.

Anywho, I say we be in charge of NLOTH's promotion from here on out! I know we have no training in marketing a record, but apparently neither do the people who currently have that job. If the band would spend some money on promotion, maybe grease the wheels for the radio stations, download their own song a couple thousand times, "Magnificent" could actually become a hit, NLOTH would become a hit, and 360 would sell out completely. Look at Viva La Vida... it only had one hit song, but it's still selling on the strength of that one hit. HTDAAB had one hit. ATYCLB had BD, but don't underestimate how much Walk On, Stuck and Elevation helped it. NLOTH currently has only GOYB... lol

The tour is already on its way to being soldout. There might be a few shows here and there that do not sellout, but this tour will have the highest precentage of sellouts that U2 have ever had on a stadium tour before.

Back
Top Bottom