Week 64

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out this article from FOX NEWS where this guy claims that U2 do not see much of an effect from the grammy awards, and then bitches about the fact that Vertigo was eligible for awards last year and then the album was eligible for this years awards.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184923,00.html

Someone should tell him the 512% increase U2 had was the second largest increase from Grammy night and way ahead of several of the other artist he sited.

how did john legend manage that, what did he win?

oh and sadly no brits for U2, greeday took both international group and album awards.

doctorwho said:
I sent a rather scathing reply to Fox News about Friedman's article. I doubt I'll ever hear back - but it was fun just having the opportunity to attack Fox News. ;)

Did you use the "respond to the editor" option at the bottom of the link to send your message?

Canada: from #142 to #42 this week!!!!

So, we have Bomb in:
top 50 Canada, Usa, New Zeland
top 60: Ireland
top 200 again: France, Uk...

Others?

In Argentina, the Bomb is #1 in the shipment chart of the week. Chart of sales to particulars is published only 2 times by month.

Tallarico said:
Canada: from #142 to #42 this week!!!!

So, we have Bomb in:
top 50 Canada, Usa, New Zeland
top 60: Ireland
top 200 again: France, Uk...

Others?

Great !! :wink:

i don't think it's gonna make mediatraffic chart though 'cos it'll probably need at least 50k & i reckon it's done 35-40k overall.

ps - what about Japan ?

Pathetic.
As of late, it looks like critics´and media taste is much better in the US than UK.

ybird3k said:
how did john legend manage that, what did he win?

oh and sadly no brits for U2, greeday took both international group and album awards.

So in UK this week...

HTDAAB # 190 (RE) - would have sold about another 1,000 (artist album sales went down 3.4% from 11% last week). So approx overall total now = 1,207,000
Best Of 80-90 # 86 (# 92) - with prob about another 2,500
COBL # 176 (# 211)
Sometimes # 222 (# 243)

TV Airplay : OOTS # 9 (# 5)
Top 100 airplay : OOTS # 45 (# 80)

fedeu2 said:
Pathetic.
As of late, it looks like critics´and media taste is much better in the US than UK.

Why is it pathetic? I'm still thinking of maybe buying that record one day (nearly did it last weekend). Ordinary People is a great song.

BTW, your second statement seems to be contradicting your first statement. The Grammys are an American ceremony (although many UK people can vote in it).

Apart from 'The Bomb' Arcade Fire's 'Funeral' should have won best international album but that's not mainstream enough for the Brits. Green Day for Best International Group is just about fair enough i spoooose considering U2 have already won it a record 5 times.

a very interesting chart for the next week:bomb reenter in australia top 40 hmv chart at 19 whith the standard edition.so next week bomb can reenter in the top 50 in australia

Green Day beating U2 for best band and best album.
That´s PATHETIC.

In the last 5 years, U2 has received 15 grammys in the US.
Over the same timescale, how many british awards have them received? Three?

Again, that´s PATHETIC.

Popmartijn said:

Why is it pathetic? I'm still thinking of maybe buying that record one day (nearly did it last weekend). Ordinary People is a great song.

BTW, your second statement seems to be contradicting your first statement. The Grammys are an American ceremony (although many UK people can vote in it).

2 i think, and one of them was outstanding contribution.

saying that as U2 are not British they are only eligible in 2 categorys, and previously up to a few years ago only 1 category.

Ok, point taken. Still, the last two albums were much better received by american critics and media than european, and in particular, british.
I wouldn´t have a problem with that. My problem is seeing a mediocre album such as American idiot, beating a very good one.
And the results for best international band award, is even more ludicrous.

ybird3k said:
2 i think, and one of them was outstanding contribution.

saying that as U2 are not British they are only eligible in 2 categorys, and previously up to a few years ago only 1 category.

fedeu2 said:
My problem is seeing a mediocre album such as American idiot, beating a very good one.

General consensus outside of this very biased forum is that the Green Day album is better.

bsp77 said:

General consensus outside of this very biased forum is that the Green Day album is better.

You mean American Idiot has sold 3-4m more than The Bomb therefore it must be better... yeah right ! :madspit:

fedeu2 said:
Ok, point taken. Still, the last two albums were much better received by american critics and media than european, and in particular, british.
I wouldn´t have a problem with that. My problem is seeing a mediocre album such as American idiot, beating a very good one.
And the results for best international band award, is even more ludicrous.

I actually reckon British critics have given better / quite similar reviews / EOY positions than American critics for Bomb (other way round for ATYCLB though) & certainly better than American Idiot. The problem is that the Brit Awards aren't really voted for by critics (in which case Arcade Fire would have won with The Bomb or Kanye West 2nd) but by 'industry people' so the better selling more mainstream stuff (Green Day, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs) is more likely to win.

Last edited:
bsp77 said:

:lmao:

Green Day is a band for people who like shit music.

"American Idiot" sounds just like "Dookie" did 10 years ago. After "Dookie", Green Day fell in popularity. It seemed it took 10 years for the public to "forget" Green Day's sound. So when "American Idiot" was released, it came across as fresh. I highly doubt Green Day's next real album will be as successful. Heck, even Santana - after his monstrous success a few years back - is struggling with his current release. Perhaps in another 10 years, Green Day will have another huge hit album. ;)

General consensus?
How many times did you see American Idiot topping the bomb?
I wouldn´t say American Idiot sucks but really there´s nothing new there. All the songs start to sound the same even before one hears half of the songs.

bsp77 said:

ybird3k said:
cant believe bomb didnt even make media traffic!
oh well still up 30k due to grammys

Well, the #40 album sold 53,000 copies and I estimate that HTDAAB did not sell more than 40,000 copies this past week worldwide.

Agreed that HTDAAB was much better than American Idiot. But there's at least fifty albums I've heard over the last two years that were both stronger and far more creative. But of course, those acts aren't on mainstream labels.......

The Bomb is better than American but this last still a good album.

And if it's pathetic to see Green Day winning best album in UK, it's pathetic too to see the Bomb best album of the year in USA.
The Bomb is really a great album, but "Get Behind Me Satan" by the White Stripes, Funeral by Arcade Fire or Lost & Safe by The Books are by far better than the Bomb. And I have not speak about "Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens, maybe the best album released in the decade which came out last summer.

BTW, the Bomb climb 180 spots to #98 with sales of 1.987 (cum 245.449).

BigMacPhisto said:
Agreed that HTDAAB was much better than American Idiot. But there's at least fifty albums I've heard over the last two years that were both stronger and far more creative. But of course, those acts aren't on mainstream labels.......

Well, if you really prefer that many albums to HTDAAB, I'm surprised you would even bother coming to interference.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom