Week 59

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tallarico said:
so, last week Bomb sold 7936 copies....

No, Sting2 was right : the 2004 EOY Soundscan total was 2,156,201 so, with the current total at 2,991,232, it must have sold 8,486 last week.

... & : 24.6% of 8,486 = 2,088 (then : 8,486 minus 2,088 = 6,398)

Last edited:
The new Mediatraffic chart now shows the number of albums sold that week next to each chart position. The #40 album this week sold 50,000 copies worldwide. So no more guess work is needed to determine was the album at position #19 or #30 sold etc.

isnt mediatraffics album chart, based on a point system of how many countries an album is charting in? therefore an album with lower sales would be able to chart higher than an album with higher sales than it. although all the albums on there at the moment are in sales order.

It's good they're showing the weekly figures now... if only they did that last year !

Their weekly top 40 chart is based on points & sales so i assume those figures to be points & sales added together... except for the top 3 which should be sales only because they appear in the weekly news headlines.

Last edited:
ybird3k said:
isnt mediatraffics album chart, based on a point system of how many countries an album is charting in? therefore an album with lower sales would be able to chart higher than an album with higher sales than it. although all the albums on there at the moment are in sales order.

Perhaps they have decided to do away with the points and just use the sales figures for album position.

STING2 said:

Perhaps they have decided to do away with the points and just use the sales figures for album position.

Bomb sold 31k at # 40 in it's last week on their chart. Now the # 40 is on 50k so i would think these figures are still sales + points (except for top 3). I'm noting down these weekly figures for Am. Idiot & X&Y so we'll find out for sure when they next do their overall update.

Btw Sting, did you notice Bomb has been 5xPlat in Canada since Sept ' 05 ?

edge3 said:

Bomb sold 31k at # 40 in it's last week on their chart. Now the # 40 is on 50k so i would think these figures are still sales + points (except for top 3). I'm noting down these weekly figures for Am. Idiot & X&Y so we'll find out for sure when they next do their overall update.

Btw Sting, did you notice Bomb has been 5xPlat in Canada since Sept ' 05 ?

Actually, I always thought it hit that mark early in 2005, I did not know it was that much later.

BOMB's last week was in September I believe. I could see the #40 album selling 50,000 copies, I think 31,000 copies is actually a bit low. Obviously, the sales for any position are going to fluctuate, sometimes substantially, from week to week. I'm not sure how the point system worked, but I don't think they were mixed with the sales figures.

STING2 said:

BOMB's last week was in September I believe. I could see the #40 album selling 50,000 copies, I think 31,000 copies is actually a bit low. Obviously, the sales for any position are going to fluctuate, sometimes substantially, from week to week. I'm not sure how the point system worked, but I don't think they were mixed with the sales figures.

- Bomb defintely sold 31k at # 40 in it's last week on their chart (week 41) because they updated it's overall figure to 8.157m the previous week (8.157m + 31k = 8.188m).

- their weekly top 40 chart was definitely calculated using points + sales but only sales in the weekly chart headlines & all time chart.

- when Bomb rose back to # 28 in week 39 it sold approx 46k. Now the # 28 has 73k next to it &, again, both these weeks were similar in terms of overall albums sold.

- Coldplay's X&Y is now # 17 with 91k next to it but it only sold 36k in UK & US last week so i doubt it can really have sold more than 75-80k worldwide. In fact in week 21 Bomb was also # 17 with sales of 64k & these were again similar weeks in terms of overall albums sold.

So i really don't think Mediatraffic have changed their system : these figures that they now show, except for the figures that they also give in their weekly news headlines must, surely, still be points + sales.

We will know for certain when they do their next all time sales up date.........

Last edited:
edge3 said:

- Bomb defintely sold 31k at # 40 in it's last week on their chart (week 41) because they updated it's overall figure to 8.157m the previous week (8.157m + 31k = 8.188m).

- their weekly top 40 chart was definitely calculated using points + sales but only sales in the weekly chart headlines & all time chart.

- when Bomb rose back to # 28 in week 39 it sold approx 46k. Now the # 28 has 73k next to it &, again, both these weeks were similar in terms of overall albums sold.

- Coldplay's X&Y is now # 17 with 91k next to it but it only sold 36k in UK & US last week so i doubt it can really have sold more than 75-80k worldwide. In fact in week 21 Bomb was also # 17 with sales of 64k & these were again similar weeks in terms of overall albums sold.

So i really don't think Mediatraffic have changed their system : these figures that they now show must, surely, still be points + sales (except for the figures that they also give in their weekly news headlines).

As i previously said though : we will know for certain when they do their next all time sales up date.........

Well, why would they not include the points for the top 3 albums in the chart listing if it does include points?

Sherlock has answered & says it's because the top 3 albums also appear in their chart headline news & their rule is that they only give the sales for these.

Back
Top Bottom