Week 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tallarico

War Child
In uk a big improve of aboy's airplay....from 48 to 10!!!!
For the dvd R&H stay in top 5 at 3!

I would think with this new airplay in the UK, the BOMB would definitely re-enter the chart. Maybe in a week or two if this level of airplay keeps up.

As of last week though, the BOMB was only charting in 3 countries around the world, Italy, the Netherlands, and France. If anyone knows another country where the BOMB is still charting, please post it.

There is a chance that the BOMB may re-chart here in the USA and Canada this coming week because of Conan. Problem is that the show came on a Thursday night towards the end of the week and the sales cut off is on Sunday evening. Unfortunately, the sales effect may be divided between last week and this week and could make it difficult to re-chart. But I'd say there is still a chance on this coming weeks chart or the following week.

Last week Bomb went from #48 to #34, but now it falls to #49. My expectations are that Bomb will chart another 20 weeks or so here in the netherlands and next week it will climb again due to the release of all because of you. And of course the new dvd may have an effect on bombs sales.

Tallarico said:
In uk a big improve of aboy's airplay....from 48 to 10!!!!

Good result...better than i thought. Plus it moves up 4 to # 10 on the TV airplay chart.

Surely HTDAAB can soon re-enter the UK top 75.

Italy:
HTDAAB 61 (47)

Here's the complete chart run:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-
21-37-41-47-61

Hopefully, that new iPod ad with "Original Of The Species" will send this album back into the charts.

Well, for week 46, looks like there are only 3 countries on the planet where the BOMB is still charting. Here they are:

Netherlands #49
Italy #61
France #124

The album has really dropped off in sales. Only 5 weeks ago, it was still selling enough to be in the top 40 worldwide. Total albums of BOMB shipped/sold to retailers at this point is somewhere between 9 million and 9.5 million. Number albums sold to consumers is a little over 8.7 million. According to Mediatraffic numbers, the BOMB is the 13 biggest selling album since January 2003 worldwide. The BOMB is the 3rd biggest selling album by a band or group since January 2003 according to mediatraffic numbers worldwide.

Soldatti said:

No U2 on Billboard's album & singles chart this week.

So COBL peaked at #40 on the Adult Top 40 and never even charted on Modern Rock. Way to go! :|

Soldatti said:

No U2 on Billboard's album & singles chart this week.

So the Conan appearance and tour have, so far, completely failed in reviving Bomb's performance in the US charts - still need a `different' hit single e.g. AMAAW, to promote interest in Bomb.

Mike

is it possible that the 5 ny shows and NBC show could have a sales effect next week and not in this week?

STING2 said:
Total albums of BOMB shipped/sold to retailers at this point is somewhere between 9 million and 9.5 million. Number albums sold to consumers is a little over 8.7 million.

:hmm: I've heard so many reports in the media that it's 'sold' 10 million. So i reckon it's shipped 10 million with 9 million now sold to consumers.

VALE69 said:
Does bomb still out from top 200 in UK too?

Yes, still out...i can't believe it :grumpy: Great airplay for ABOY & Bomb still not in top 200...this is unprecedented, even Pop did better than this...why ? at least Best Of 80-90 goes up 14 spots though, although ATYCLB drops back out :

Albums :
BO 80-90 # 162 (# 176)

Singles :
Vertigo # 161 (# 159)
COBL # 207 (# 199)

...also, i've just heard from UKMIX.com that up to & including this week Bomb had sold 329,000 in the UK so far this year (the 25th best seller of the year).

So add that to the 860,000 it sold in 2004 & i make that 1,189,000 sold to date in the UK in total.

ps - 329,000 is in line with my calculations.

Last edited:
edge3 said:

:hmm: I've heard so many reports in the media that it's 'sold' 10 million. So i reckon it's shipped 10 million with 9 million now sold to consumers.

I would love to think so, but so far I have not seen the evidence. In terms of new shipments in various countries since January 2005 when the album was at 8.5 million, I have only seen the UK and Ireland which pushed the total to 9 million. Mediatraffic covers about 95% of sales to consumers and has the album at 8.2 million before it dropped from the top 40. This puts its sold to consumer total at about 8.7 million.

Thing is, if your in the media doing a report for U2, your going to want to say 10 million rather than 9.3 million or 9.6 million. Based on what I have seen I'd put the album at somewhere between 9 million and 9.5 million. Unless there is a dramatic change in the current sales level, I don't think the album is going to get passed the 9.5 million mark over the next 6 months. But probably in 2 years or so it will get to the 10 million mark although with CD burning and file sharing has really taking a bit out of catalog sales these days.

HTDAAB is according to mediatraffic, the 13th biggest selling album worldwide since January 2003, which is really impressive. Also, only 2 bands have had an album that sold more during that time period.

mikeuk said:

So the Conan appearance and tour have, so far, completely failed in reviving Bomb's performance in the US charts - still need a `different' hit single e.g. AMAAW, to promote interest in Bomb.

Mike

The tour effect in the USA is spread out. U2 only hits a fraction of the shows its playing here in one week. The effect of the tour is usually to stabilize album sales at what ever point it is at and keep it from falling down further. A new single is needed to raise album sales. Remember, everyone seeing U2 on this leg of the tour bought their tickets over 7 months ago and likely bought the album before that point. But reports in the media do help out with selling the album to the general public not able to attend the show because of the sellouts.

Tallarico said:
is it possible that the 5 ny shows and NBC show could have a sales effect next week and not in this week?

Will find out today or tomorrow.

STING2 said:

I would love to think so, but so far I have not seen the evidence. In terms of new shipments in various countries since January 2005 when the album was at 8.5 million, I have only seen the UK and Ireland which pushed the total to 9 million. Mediatraffic covers about 95% of sales to consumers and has the album at 8.2 million before it dropped from the top 40. This puts its sold to consumer total at about 8.7 million.

Mediatraffic say they cover 'nearly 95%' of total sales but i still think this could well actually only be 90% or at most 'closer to 90%' - i.e 92%

92% would then more or less take sales to consumers to the 9 million mark after you add on the 100K or so 'mediatraffic sales' that must have been sold in the last 7 weeks which are not & will never be included in the newly updated overall figure of 8,188,000 ('cos HTDAAB hasn't been on their top 40 chart during this time).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom