week 41

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"All Because Of You" will be a big hit in Europe, methinks.........so it ain't over yet.........unless you live in the US, of course.

U2 is lying low in the U.S. They are out of sight and out of mind.

I'll be seeing them in Atlanta in Nov, and I hope they've done something to create some buzz by then.

Sold out long time ago...

Westblue said:
one q: is 3rd leg sold out ?

It is completely sold out. I'll be seeing them in Atlanta, too. On the first leg, I got great tickets as T.M. released tickets every few hours or so 3-4 days before most shows, which resulted in me getting some choice seats for Chicago, NY, and Philly.

I agree, there was a huge buzz surrounding the 1st leg, and U2 was riding high on album sales, radio play, 3 more grammies, etc. With the i-pod overload and just U2 overload, period, I really think U2 made a conscious effort to withdraw from the spotlight as the 1st leg wrapped up to avoid the "backlash" effect from over exposure.

This is the only explanation I can think of that justifies their total lack of promotion for the HTDAAB singles here in the U.S. Vertigo was pushed hard, obviously, and ABOY at least had the Brooklyn, NY buzz and made the Billboard charts. After that, though, there was never an official "release" for Sometimes...they just played it at the Grammy Awards and it began to pick up airplay as ABOY faded. The video was very popular and the song got a lot of airplay on Triple A Rock and Adult Top 40, which are the usual U2 formats, so that really didn't help album sales. Also, with no official single releases after Vertigo, U2 did not take advantage of the benefit of downloads anymore, which certainly didn't help them on such charts as the BB Hot 100.

Then, instead of an actual release & download for COBL for the U.S. while U2 went to Europe, there was no push for that song whatsoever. The video channels chided the Vancouver performance as being a Coldplay ripoff, which is totally backwards, and I'm not sure the song was released to mainstream radio. Once again, COBL has had a strong run on Triple A, where it's probably in it's 12th + week in the Top 10, but anyone listening to this radio format likely has HTDAAB already.

I really thought that prior to the 3rd leg, U2 would release OOTS with some good b-sides for download, to help push the album along with the tour, Christmas sales, Awards season, etc. Now I'm not sure that's going to happen. It seems that U2 is content with 3M in U.S. sales, and their making A LOT of money on a tour that is already sold out.

I think it's a shame that we don't get CD singles or at least downloads here in the U.S. like the R.O.W. For the European ABOY release, I'll definitely get the import for the b-sides, as I love the recent live performance of Miss Sarajevo from Milan and am at least interested in an acoustick "A man and a woman". I'd much rather be getting a U.S. single release of OOTS with the full orchestra with the same b-sides, though. MD was made for radio, IMO, and if that song never sees it's way to the radio, I think it's a shame, too.

At the end of the day, I think U2's "business" side has won out over Bono's talk about wanting to "be on the radio" and/or making an "album with 11 singles", etc. After completely selling out all the tour dates for two U.S. legs, I think they (and Interscope) went into cruise control in the U.S., as I guess they realize how frontloaded the album sales were here, and the tour is already a guaranteed cash cow. Still, the R.O.W. got the proper singles, and they seemed to have helped album sales.

I just hope that the energy that I experienced on the 1st leg is still alive and well for the 3rd leg. From the bootlegs I've heard, it certainly sounds like there was plenty of energy on the 2nd leg in Europe from the band and the fans. I can't see how the band looks forward to coming back to many of the same cities and faces that they have already seen on this tour...maybe they will change things up just to keep themselves interested.

I guess we'll soon find out!

beLIEve i think they will carry that energy over to the U.S. the band seemed on a mission over here in europe, bono was back to his old self (posing for the press, full blooded face in camera on the stage etc) you guys are in for a real treat

Update from Italy: HTDAAB 22 (14) and Best Of 90/00 83 (71).
Apparently this is a bad news, but actually bomb was too high last week (the last italian concert has been 45 days ago...) and with five new entries I think this result is not too bad.

This is the chart run for HTDAAB:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-

Billboards Europe Chart

HTDAAB shows up in only one chart on BB this week, the Euro Top 100 Albums, where it falls from 36 to 53.

Re: Billboards Europe Chart

beLIEve said:
HTDAAB shows up in only one chart on BB this week, the Euro Top 100 Albums, where it falls from 36 to 53.

For Europe, its going to be up to ABOY and any other single releases to keep the album afloat there. The album was certified for 3 million copies shipped in Europe back in December 2004. I wonder how close that shipment figure is to 4 million at this point? I think the country that has the highest current charting position for HTDAAB is the Netherlands at #21.

Re: Re: Billboards Europe Chart

Sales in Europe should be very close to 4 million by now.
Yet, unless something unexpected happens in the US with the bomb, I bet that this album will sell less than ATYCLB when all is said and done. In other words, I don´t see the bomb hitting the 12 million mark for worlwide sales.

Shame ´cos it´s such a great, great record.

STING2 said:

For Europe, its going to be up to ABOY and any other single releases to keep the album afloat there. The album was certified for 3 million copies shipped in Europe back in December 2004. I wonder how close that shipment figure is to 4 million at this point? I think the country that has the highest current charting position for HTDAAB is the Netherlands at #21.

no surprise but bomb is off mediatraffic this week, but there were 11 new entries!!

greenday had the "largest sales increase" yet fell to #7
& coldplay dwn to #4

COBL out of top 40 also.

HTDAAB drops out of top 100 in Canada and Germany and out of top 60 in Sweden. Hmmm... Hope American 3rd leg increases sales in US and Canada.

UK :

Albums
Bomb : # 131 (# 110) - probably sold about 1,500 so total sales up to & incl. week 41 are about 1,184,000
BO 80-90 : # 184 (# 159) - 292 wks (on chart)

Singles
City : # 158 (# 130) - 13 wks
Vertigo : # 160 (# 136) - 34 wks
Sometimes : # 216 (# 180) - 29 wks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom