Week 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
Here are the news from the UK charts:

Best of the B-sides drops to #25 from #6. The single disc edition drops to #48 from #38 last week. It is apparent how two editions counted as sepate chart entities can affect its chart run.

Singles now. Electrical storm drops to #52 in its 5th week. It was at #36 last week.

OK, some news now from my country, Greece.

The Best of & the B-sides makes an impressive debut at the #1 of the greek charts (greek charts are announced a bit late) selling an impressive 13000 copies in its first week! It also receives gold certification (gold status is awarded to albums seeling 10000 or more) from its first week! Very impressive for a country of a mere 10 million population.
Story (in greek) can be found here:
http://www.babylon.gr/news/2002/November/2411_U2.htm

Also, the story informs us that on Friday there is going to be a video projection of U2 slane concert at slane at Gagarin 205 Music Space in Athens!

Voxson

The Best Of is still at #2 in Australia in it's 3rd week. It's obvious now that ARIA counts the double and single cds as one. Here's the Best Of's chart Run in Australia:

1 - 2 - 2

The Best of the 80s fell off the charts this week, but it's still great to see U2 doing so well anyway!

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

Hello,

It's always a surprise with the Dutch charts, you never know when they are updated online. I got last weeks numbers late last Thursday, but this Monday I already have this weeks numbers. Oh well... As usual, the charts are courtesy of Mega Top 100 .
This third week U2 loses its top position. The Best Of 1990-2000 drops from #1 to #3. As the top 2 positions are debuts by popular artists (one of which is Robbie Williams) and as the #4 position is a debut by another popular Dutch artist you can still say U2 are doing very well. One note has to be made, though, as the single disc and the limited edition are counted together.
Here is the chart run for The Best Of 1990-2000 (16-11-02):
1-1-3

This is U2's 8th #1 album in the Netherlands. Interestingly, 2 different sources confirm this but they mention different albums that have reached #1. So maybe U2 even had 9 #1 albums! If so, then every album from The Unforgettable Fire onwards has reached the #1 position at least once on the Dutch charts.

There are no other U2 albums on the chart.

On the singles chart the news is a bit less positive. In its fifth week Electrical Storm drops ten places to #26. I also fear it won't stay very long in the charts and wonder if it'll reach the ten weeks.
Here is the chart run for the single (2-11-02):
4-4-10-16-26

There are no other U2 singles on the chart. The #1 song is for a fourth week Nelly & Kelly with Dilemma.

C ya!

Marty

And with 52% in HITS reports that U2 has sold 34K copies last week, indicating total sales around 65K for both the single disc and the limited edition combined.

Oh my...

Marty

Europe ?

According to Billboard the best Of is STILL No 1 in Europe ! I had expected Westlife to knock U2 from the top spot - but it will happen next week as the Robbie Williams CD has sold 2 m in the first week, the majority of these in Europe.

Mike

Re: Europe ?

mike63 said:
According to Billboard the best Of is STILL No 1 in Europe ! I had expected Westlife to knock U2 from the top spot - but it will happen next week as the Robbie Williams CD has sold 2 m in the first week, the majority of these in Europe.

Mike

Where can I find this Billboard chart?

in Italy in its 4th week the best of goes down one spot to #2

Italy chart run

16*-1-1-2

*street date violation

I received the SoundScan charts from Melissa - but don't have time today (Thanksgiving) to post anything. :) For now, let's just say that HITS is about right - the combined albums sold around 60,000 copies. The double-CD is still outselling the single CD, but not by as much any more.

More details later...

Re: Re: Europe ?

A Maaaaaaan said:

Where can I find this Billboard chart?

I haven't been able to find a direct link yet - although this chart is mentioned at U2com and yuotwo.net, which quotes a Billboard article.

The U2com article says the Best Of has retained the number 1 slot for a third week - holding off Westlife. It also reports the Best Of as hitting number 1 in 18 countries !!!!

Howevewr, the billboard/youtwo.net article shows U2 at number 2 in its third week - behind Robbie Williams (as I predicted) but still ahead of Westlife, Shania etc - pretty impressive.

Mike

I'd love to see the Soundscan results from last week when you get the chance Dr. Who. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom