Week 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell that to the numerous persons who have been complaining about the lack of U2 airplay in the UK. And a similar situation is verified in the US.
On the contrary, the two latest (mediocre) singles from Coldplay have enjoyed extensive airplay.

Yes Strawberry Swing has had extensive airplay with it reaching 55 in the airplay charts

The last single before that from Coldplay was the lead single from their EP, it was the first single from it of course it got played. A lot of people thought Boots was mediocre and it still got played because it was the lead single.

U2 have been getting A LOT of airplay in the UK, this is a fact you can't deny it by saying people didn't hear them on the radio. They're had 3 top 15 hits on the airplay chart

muse debuts at #3 in US, didnt realise they were that popular, surprisingly Jay-Zed didnt get much of a drop, and whitney had a 100% increase, bizarre.

It´s no wonder Jay Z`s sales are larger than U2's in the US. Same for Eminem.
But when it comes to the whole world, that´s an entirely different story.

Jay Z's US sales, 26 million

U2's US sales, 52 million

No Line On The Horizon's first week sales worldwide: 1,282,000
Jay Z's new album first week sales worldwide: 489,000

Jay Z's US sales, 26 million

U2's US sales, 52 million

No Line On The Horizon's first week sales worldwide: 1,282,000
Jay Z's new album first week sales worldwide: 489,000

Yes, I´m aware of those numbers.
I meant the recent past. From 2000 to 2007 Jay -Z sales in the US are about 15 M. That´s nearly 6 M more than U2´s sales in the same period. I know, U2 have only released four albums (two compilations) in the 2000-2007 period as opposed 6 albums from Jay -Z. Still I don´t think U2 would have managed to sell as much as the rapper had they released the same number of albums.

As far as the new album goes, it seems pretty sure it will outsell NLOTH in the US.

I meant the recent past. From 2000 to 2007 Jay -Z sales in the US are about 15 M. That´s nearly 6 M more than U2´s sales in the same period. I know, U2 have only released four albums (two compilations) in the 2000-2007 period as opposed 6 albums from Jay -Z. Still I don´t think U2 would have managed to sell as much as the rapper had they released the same number of albums.

As far as the new album goes, it seems pretty sure it will outsell NLOTH in the US.

Another thing to note is that Jay Z only has one album certified above 3 million in sales in the USA.

nloth this week

usa 83(88) with increases sold
uk ?
ireland 83(49)
holland 40(31)
italy 44(29)
switzerland 99(97)
bel vl 59(20)
bel wa 43(27)
rep.czech 27(22)
spain 61(48)

after other updates.

Last week, sales were 5800, which is a rather high amount for #88 on the charts (last time NLOTH sold that many, it was in the 70's). So if there is an increase in sales, it's very possible NLOTH topped 6K - a high this album hasn't seen in a while!

It appears that the tour is not only helping to stabilize the album, but giving it a little boost too! I'm glad - I bet a lot of people who saw U2 recently did NOT know the new songs, but were impressed by them. U2 have put a LOT of energy into the new songs and it may be winning some people over. Good job!

Regardless, NLOTH has finally topped 1M sold in the U.S. Cheers! :cocktail: :beer:

This is a tough call.

Jay-Z releases a lot of albums - a LOT. I don't think he tours or if so, as extensively as U2. U2's last tour lasted quite a while and I'm sure when they are done, the last thing they want to do is rush to the studio and zip out a new album. That drive was there in the early 80's, but once they finally broke through, the slow down in album output became more obvious. Plus, U2's desire to remain fresh and relevant is crucial. Other artists may release some of what U2 have shelved. I'm sure there is quite a bit of material on Jay-Z's albums that is "questionable" to his fans.

But if U2 had released as many albums as Jay-Z, I'd think they'd give him a run for his $$. ATYCLB sold 4.2M and HTDAAB sold 3.1M. Two albums have more than half of Jay-Z's total sales for all of his albums. So if U2 had another studio album in 2002 and 2006 (instead of two greatest hits albums then), and if they sold 2-4M as well, I think U2 would have matched or surpassed Jay-Z.

Jay-Z may sell over a million, but usually that's where his albums stop. This happened even in the "glory days". Some of his best only reach 2M. Those are good numbers - but they aren't the "super" numbers U2 and other artists have reached. Some - even his fans - feel that some quality is sacrificed for quantity.

nloth this week

usa 83(88) with increases sold
uk ?
ireland 83(49)
holland 40(31)
italy 44(29)
switzerland 99(97)
bel vl 59(20)
bel wa 43(27)
rep.czech 27(22)
spain 61(48)

after other updates.

canada 24(77)

Jay Z is so overated in the US. IMO hes nowhwere near as good as Em, 50, the game, p. diddy, snoop dogg etc. the only songs of his i know are 99 problems and the colaberation with linkin park, i dont think hes all that big outside of the US tbh, others here will disagree:wave:

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 39

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,583,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,877,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,810,000
5. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,656,000
6. Eminem Relapse 2,638,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,573,000
8. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,470,000
9. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,466,000
10. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,347,000
11. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,223,000
12. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,222,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,911,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

Lady Gaga's "The Fame" will probably be the only album to make it to 4 million for 2009.

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 39

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,583,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,877,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,810,000
5. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,656,000
6. Eminem Relapse 2,638,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,573,000
8. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,470,000
9. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,466,000
10. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,347,000
11. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,223,000
12. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,222,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,911,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

Lady Gaga's "The Fame" will probably be the only album to make it to 4 million for 2009.

I don´t know if the same applies to MusicCharts but this list stopped being relevant for me two weeks ago when NLOTH failed to make the Top 40. As of now, there are at least 50,000 copies sold by the album not reflected in this chart. A similar claim can be made for a few other albums in the list but I´m actually concerned about final positions at the end of the year. For example, if Thriller were to sell 35,000 copies on a weekly basis for the remaining 13 weeks of 2009 and NLOTH didn´t ever reenter the Top 40, the former would end up at number two when clearly that wouldn´t be the case.

I don´t know if the same applies to MusicCharts but this list stopped being relevant for me two weeks ago when NLOTH failed to make the Top 40. As of now, there are at least 50,000 copies sold by the album not reflected in this chart. A similar claim can be made for a few other albums in the list but I´m actually concerned about final positions at the end of the year. For example, if Thriller were to sell 35,000 copies on a weekly basis for the remaining 13 weeks of 2009 and NLOTH didn´t ever reenter the Top 40, the former would end up at number two when clearly that wouldn´t be the case.

Well, I can't post sales for things not in the top 40 and it used to be mediatraffic policy not to add in sales for weeks not in the top 40, but now they do when they put out the year end chart. So for the weeks that NLOTH has not been listed in the top 40, those sales will be added in on the year end chart.

Right now, NLOTH still has a chance to finish the year at #2, but its going to be real close.

Well, I can't post sales for things not in the top 40 and it used to be mediatraffic policy not to add in sales for weeks not in the top 40, but now they do when they put out the year end chart. So for the weeks that NLOTH has not been listed in the top 40, those sales will be added in on the year end chart.

Right now, NLOTH still has a chance to finish the year at #2, but its going to be real close.

Thanks for the info Maoil. I didn´t know about that. So I guess the year end chart is the one to look for. Until then, the best thing we can do is to try and estimate NLOTH´s sales missing from Mediatraffic weekly charts. Right now, I reckon total sales of the album are around 3,350,000, using Mediatraffic system that is. Last time I checked, MusicCharts had the album nearly at 3,800,000.

only 42,000 copies required to make it on MT top 40, thats like the good old days. recently an albums only neded 25,000 to make it on the chart. obviously beatles and MJ have led to this.

They are.
I saw NLOTH being sold at (some) merchandise stands at the East Rutherford concert.

In a similar way U2 managed to score a number 1 hit in Netherlands with 'Elevation'. It was sold as a single with some extra unreleased live tracks after the concerts in Arnhem. Now albums/singles sold at concerts do not count for hitparades...

That depends on who is selling... in NL (I think it was BD, not Elevation, but I could be wrong) they let Free Record Shop do the selling and that counted as normal sales. Hence the #1 position.

Back
Top Bottom