Week 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Now I see how U2 managed to sell 150,000 tickets to Popmart Reggio Emilia.

Since Joshua Tree, U2's appearances in Italy has been incredible!

Joshua Tour:

Rome: 35,000 fans, soldout
Modena: 80,000 fans (2 shows), soldout

ZooTV Tour, indoor phase:

Milan: 25,000 fans (2 shows), soldout

ZooTV, Zooropa '93 phase:

Verona: 90,000 fans (2 shows), soldout
Rome: 84,000 fans (2 shows), soldout
Napoli: 70,000 fans
Torino: 60,000 fans
Bolonia: 64,000 fans (2 shows), soldout

PopMart Tour:

Rome: 56,300 fans
Reggio Emilia: 150,000 fans, soldout

Elevation Tour:

Torino: 73,000 fans, soldout (and the only open-air stadium date of the whole tour)

Vertigo Tour:

Rome: 80,000? fans, soldout
Milan: 100,000?? fans (2 shows), soldout

Vox

COBL is now added to the UK Radio1 playlist, with a release date of 6th of June.
hopefully the airplay will increase HTDAAB sales in the UK, before the tour gets here.

ybird3k said:
COBL is now added to the UK Radio1 playlist, with a release date of 6th of June.
hopefully the airplay will increase HTDAAB sales in the UK, before the tour gets here.

Well,it's so good!
Do you think that COBL can go in top 3 of uk singles chart?
Nothing about Us numbers this week?????

N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 23

Tallarico said:

Well,it's so good!
Nothing about Us numbers this week?????

Check the thread in this title for more detail on N.A. radio charts than you probably want...

Tallarico said:

Well,it's so good!

I think it'll go Top 5 in UK. Top 3 would be good & very likely - but, of course, I'm hoping for #1!! :wink:

Tallarico said:
Now from mediatraffic:

albums:u2 at 23 (like predictions...)
singles:Sometimes...at 19

are these just predictions?
where did u get the info from?

no worries i see now.

Last edited:
I think COBL could top the UK Chart, but i was just thinking that the addition of downloads to the UK Charts might hurt its chances as sometimes didnt do that well on the download charts. Also i've noticed that the addition of downloads isnt very accurate. It seems like downloads only count once the physical single is released. Coldplay are currently at No 1 in the UK downloads chart but this isnt included on the singles chart. By the time the single is released the downloads will have far less impact on the singles chart performance.

ye downloads are not included untill physical single is released. Not very good way of including the download chart, as, like u say by the time the physical single is out, downloads would have gone down.

however it is possible to release a small amount of limited edition physical singles, which then allows downloads to be counted, this was recently done by 'gorillaz' when they released 300 limited edition physical singles, they were #2 in downloads i think and entered the top 40 at about #20.

this tactic will lead to a song gettin more airplay and spanding longer in the chart.

would be good to see every1 do it.

COBL for #1, come on!:wink:

With BOMB at #23 on the Global chart, I estimate about 70,000 in sales. This puts the album at 7,481,000 if we go by Mediatraffic's total from last week, or 7,620,000 if we go by the corrections that have been made here.

STING2 said:
With BOMB at #23 on the Global chart, I estimate about 70,000 in sales. This puts the album at 7,481,000 if we go by Mediatraffic's total from last week, or 7,620,000 if we go by the corrections that have been made here.

I think Bomb might well have sold 70K last week at Mediatraffic considering the #27 album by Ben Folds sold at least 60K (50K in US + on chart in Canada, UK & Australia) & the #22 album by Mick Jones sold 81K (in US). However the Bomb did decrease in sales & drop 5 places at Mediatraffic so my estimate would be 65K. So total sales (& this is geting complicated) shoud now be :

either : 7224M + 93K (w.20) + 85K (w.21) + 81K (w.22) + 70K (w.23) + 65K (w.24) = 7618M

or : 7224M + 85K (w.21) + 81K (w.22) + 70K (w.23) + 65K (w.24)= 7515M

or : 7411M + 65K (w.24) = 7476M.

Of course Mediatraffic will some how come up with some impossibly low figure next time they update - thus making their own weekly sales info & those from Billboard & Musicweek look completly wrong.

However I still firmly believe that the first figure of 7618M/7620M is the correct & most likely estimate.

fitz said:
Hi edge3,
did you receive an answer from mediatraffic for your e-mail?

Hi fitz,

Yes - 5 days ago (2nd May) this is the answer I got from Mediatraffic (sorry I didn't post it earlier) :

"...the sales of the last three weeks are 64k, 63k, 60k!
Please note, our weekly countdown contains the current weekly sales data and
ADDITIONAL POINTS FOR EACH COUNTRY, WHERE AN ALBUM IS ON THE CHART!!
But in the year-end-charts, the alltime-list and the headline-news we take
only the sales data!
Best regards, Fred / Mediatraffic"

So Mediatraffic's alltime totals, which exclude "ADDITIONAL POINTS FOR EACH COUNTRY, WHERE AN ALBUM IS ON THE CHART" do not = their weekly totals added together, which include "ADDITIONAL POINTS FOR EACH COUNTRY, WHERE AN ALBUM IS ON THE CHART" - very interesting.

Obviously this explains why my estimations for the Bomb have not been the same as Mediatraffics.

The alltime figure & therefore SALES ONLY of the Bomb must now look like this :

7224M + 64K (w.21) + 63K (w.22) + 60K (w.23) = 7411M

So for w.24 (yesterday) Bomb must have sold (thats SALES ONLY) 55-60K because it either stayed the same or decreased in SALES ONLY from last week (w.23). Also Ben Folds at #27 sold (thats SALES ONLY) about 55K in US, UK, Canada & Australia. I therefore think 57K is a good SALES ONLY estimate for the Bomb this week (w.24). So current overall SALES ONLY for the Bomb, at Mediatraffic, should now look something like this :

7411M + 57K (w.24) = 7468M (est.)

I hope that explains everything. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, but what is the sense of this sytem from mediatraffic? This means, that the all-time-charts don't include the really worldwide-sales but only a part of it, or? So this figure is presents a lower level of the really worldwide-sales that i thought (perhaps only 80-90%)?

Yes, it is slightly odd.

Mediatraffic apparantly covers 90-95% of total world wide album sales. This means that the Bomb has now sold about 7841M - 8215M to consumers - in only 24 weeks that's very impressive.

I guess it therefore must have shipped 9-10M by now.

edge3 said:

The alltime figure & therefore SALES ONLY of the Bomb must now look like this :

7224M + 64K (w.21) + 63K (w.22) + 60K (w.23) = 7411M

So for w.24 (yesterday) Bomb must have sold (thats SALES ONLY) 55-60K because it either stayed the same or decreased in SALES ONLY from last week (w.23). Also Ben Folds at #27 sold (thats SALES ONLY) about 55K in US, UK, Canada & Australia. I therefore think 57K is a good SALES ONLY estimate for the Bomb this week (w.24). So current overall SALES ONLY for the Bomb, at Mediatraffic, should now look something like this :

I just thought I ought to correct myself here : Yes, Bomb probably did sell less than 60K at Mediatraffic this week but the Ben Folds album might have actually sold more than the Bomb despite being placed lower. This is because Bomb is charting in more countries than the Ben Folds album and therefore may only have more points as opposed to just sales. Because of this I estimate that the Bomb sold about 55K (a 9% drop) at Mediatraffic this week (w.24). So I estimate that sales of the Bomb at Mediatraffic are now :

7411M + 55K (w.24) = 7466M (est.)

:)

Back
Top Bottom