Week 17 radio play & BB charts in U.S.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soundscan: April 2, 2005

tw artist album tw sales % last week sales total
39 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 23,644 +26 18,822 2,557,936

I just checked out MediaBase which is updated daily and is a fairly accurate precursor for Billboard. For the period of March 17-23, Sometimes moved up to 19 (I checked yesterday and it was not in the top 20). It also had the second highest increase in 'spins' in the top 20. It looks like it will certainly enter the top 20 next week on Billboard's Adult Top 40.

Soldatti said:
Soundscan: April 2, 2005

tw artist album tw sales % last week sales total
39 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 23,644 +26 18,822 2,557,936

It's time........

everyone choose a random Tuesday where you think the album will pass 3,000,000............I'll go with July 26th.

Record and Radio monitors Canada airplay, too

Since R&R monitors Canadian airplay, too, I thought I'd post those results, too. There are 5 formats monitored in Canada; Pop, Rock, HAC, AC, and Country.

Rock

ABOY #1 with 493 plays
Sometimes debuts at 29 with a bullet and 126 plays
Vertigo is at #5 on most played recurrents with 112 plays

HAC

Sometims drops from 14 to 15 w/plays decreasing to 357 ???
Vertigo is at #5 on most played recurrents with 162 plays.

In Europe, HTDAAB drops from 4 to 9 on the Eurochart Top 100 Albums. Sometimes drops from 24 to 33 on the Eurochart Top 100 singles. Based on this, I don't think that HTDAAB will rise on the Global Chart. Not sure about Sometimes.

Canada "Jam!" charts updated, and HTDAAB climbs from 24 to 19 on the Top 100 Album Charts, Sometimes climbs from 20 to 18 on the Singles Airplay Chart, and ABOY drops from 18 to 19 on the Singles Airplay Chart.

Perhaps the HTDAAB rise in in the U.S. and Canada will result in a rise on the Global Chart, or at least keeping it near last week's chart position of 15. Hopefully the same will happen to "Sometimes", as it was #11 on the last chart and is sooo close to giving U2 a 2nd Global Top 10 hit off of HTDAAB!

Last edited:
Are there a LOT of people here whose favorite band is not U2?
Man, how strange is that? I was under the impression the vast majority of people here had U2 as their favorite band.
I, for one!

bsp77 said:

It is cool if U2 is not your favorite band, that is the case with many people here, and we talk about many other bands. But we usually don't go into the sales figures of other bands. Pretty soon everyone would be asking for the sales figures of all their favorite bands and it would start to be taxing on the few people who always post sales here. And as I said before, I would have given more credit if your first post was about U2 and then you later asked about Linkin Park.

If you are a fan of both bands and actually want to take part in the forum, then welcome and I apologize for being rude. We actually are nice here (most of the time). :wink: If you are only here to get Linkin Park sales figures and then leave, well, that is not what this forum is for.

Popmartijn said:

First of all, this is a U2 forum, so the (main) focus is on U2. While we try to find as much info as possible about U2, most of us don't look for other bands.
Second, we just had a whole situation here with a huge Metallica fan. This person started by asking questions about Metallica figures and ended up trolling this forum. So please understand that we're a bit cautious here.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Welcome to Interference, care to introduce yourself? ;)

Sorry if I came across as information greedy guys. My name is Jake, Im a 19 year old boy and I have a lot of respect for U2. If I had to pick my fav song by them it would be "I still havent found what I'm looking for" from the Joshua tree album. That is their best cd right? I even have the HTDAAB cd. My fav song from that album is "City of blinding lights". U2 is one of the greatest bands ever and I so desperately want to see them live, unfortunately their concert tickets sell out faster than a blink of an eye.

About Meteora, I just wanted to have one last update on the album because it is reaching it's two year mark and it is just shy of hiting 5 million copies and I am obsessed with it reaching that mark. The week of March 9th it was at 4,957,759 copies sold. You know when an album reaches it's two year anniversary it is retired from the billboard 200 and moved to the pop catalog charts. It's almost impossible to ever see it selling in there unless it is in the top 20. I thought just maybe someone would know what it sold last week 3/16/05 but if you guys don't know It dosent bother me at all.

Someone mentioned it was out of the 200 this week but do you mean out of the 200 or the 100? Because it was #123 two weeks ago. If so it sure did fall off fast. Or maybe perhaps it already moved to the pop catalog charts.

lparks41 said:

Sorry if I came across as information greedy guys. My name is Jake, Im a 19 year old boy and I have a lot of respect for U2. If I had to pick my fav song by them it would be "I still havent found what I'm looking for" from the Joshua tree album. That is their best cd right? I even have the HTDAAB cd. My fav song from that album is "City of blinding lights". U2 is one of the greatest bands ever and I so desperately want to see them live, unfortunately their concert tickets sell out faster than a blink of an eye.

About Meteora, I just wanted to have one last update on the album because it is reaching it's two year mark and it is just shy of hiting 5 million copies and I am obsessed with it reaching that mark. The week of March 9th it was at 4,957,759 copies sold. You know when an album reaches it's two year anniversary it is retired from the billboard 200 and moved to the pop catalog charts. It's almost impossible to ever see it selling in there unless it is in the top 20. I thought just maybe someone would know what it sold last week 3/16/05 but if you guys don't know It dosent bother me at all.

Someone mentioned it was out of the 200 this week but do you mean out of the 200 or the 100? Because it was #123 two weeks ago. If so it sure did fall off fast. Or maybe perhaps it already moved to the pop catalog charts.

I said before that I would apologize if you were a fan of U2 and wanted to talk about U2. So I apologize. Welcome. We have just had our share of trolls here. No hard feelings?

In terms of best cd, many would argue for Achtung Baby instead of Joshua Tree. If you don't have it, get it, you won't be disappointed.

bsp77 said:

I said before that I would apologize if you were a fan of U2 and wanted to talk about U2. So I apologize. Welcome. We have just had our share of trolls here. No hard feelings?

In terms of best cd, many would argue for Achtung Baby instead of Joshua Tree. If you don't have it, get it, you won't be disappointed.

Thank you! It's cool to be here. Yeah I have to get all the U2 cd's. What good songs are on Achtung Baby? Have you seen U2's performance from the live aid concert? That was phenomenal, I defenetly have to get that dvd. I wish I was alive back then so I could have attended.

I would say get Achtung Baby next it is the essential 90s album from U2 and in my mind their best album. Good to see a new fan and I am sure you will be one for awhile.

Songs that you may have heard on Achtung Baby are One, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...and Until The End Of The World....its well worth the money im sure everybody here has given it hundreds of spins!

Yahweh said:
I would say get Achtung Baby next it is the essential 90s album from U2 and in my mind their best album. Good to see a new fan and I am sure you will be one for awhile.

Songs that you may have heard on Achtung Baby are One, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...and Until The End Of The World....its well worth the money im sure everybody here has given it hundreds of spins!

Iv'e heard Mysterious ways before. That is a great song!! Now i must get the cd it's on the top of my must buy list!

Meteora

I did miss this completely. Meteora is at 131 on the Hot 200 Albums. Over the last 3 weeks, it's run has been 123-124-131. This week, the number 200 album sold 5500 copies. The number 100 album sold nearly 11000 copies.

It's a safe bet to say the Linkin Park album sold 15000 copies minimum in the last two weeks. That would put sales at 4,973,000, give or take 1000 copies.

The album should cross 5M copies in two weeks, or maybe 3 weeks tops, unless it freefalls out of the Top 200.

Video charts

VH-1 and MTV had already updated by this time last week, but they seem to take the week off every once and a while. We'll see if they get it right tomorrow, after they play this week's Top 20. Both MTV and MTV2 added Sometimes to their playlist two weeks ago, the same time ABOY disappeared from the charts and the playlist.

Much Music and Much More Music have been updated, and ABOY continues to storm the charts, while Sometimes makes it debut after 1 week on the playlist.

On Much Music's Top 30 countdown, ABOY rises two spots to number 6, and Sometimes debuts at #27.

On Much More Music, after several weeks at #2, ABOY finally knocks Usher off the top spot as it moves to #1 this week.

With the BB article about VH-1 playing Sometimes 52 times last week, I suspect the video should jump up to #8 or so, if not the Top 5. If we're just talking video plays, Sometimes is by far the most played video on VH1, so it really was #1 for the week.

I don't watch MTV or MTV2 much, but they did play ABOY more than I expected. I think Sometimes will chart there, too.

The Best Of 1980-1990 (single version) is #198 this week on the Billboard Comprehensive chart, the real Top 200.
The album sold 6,200 copies last week and 2,429,900 so far.

Soldatti said:
The Best Of 1980-1990 (single version) is #198 this week on the Billboard Comprehensive chart, the real Top 200.

Soldatti,

I wanted to know if you could post 1 week of the top 200 Catalog albums on here? I think it would be interesting to see what is currently selling below the top 50 catalog albums.

there are some interesting news at @u2.com:With the sudden success of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" in the U.S. (the song is No. 1 on the AAA format and gaining interest at other formats), Interscope has rushed a 3rd version of the song to radio stations. This latest version is known as "Radio Edit 103 BPM", and has a running time of 4:30. The two previous radio promo singles were "96 BPM", which ran 4:51 long, and "99 BPM" at 4:39. Sounds like some radio programmers felt those two versions were a bit too long or too slow. The new version, while only a few seconds shorter, has a noticeably quicker pace.

Soldatti said:

The Best Of with the b-sides has also a double-platinum-certification (but here is each cd inside certificated). So this album sold at least 1 million copies.

The total of the Best of 1980 - 1990 amounts ca. 3,5 m !

ajax said:
there are some interesting news at @u2.com:With the sudden success of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" in the U.S. (the song is No. 1 on the AAA format and gaining interest at other formats), Interscope has rushed a 3rd version of the song to radio stations. This latest version is known as "Radio Edit 103 BPM", and has a running time of 4:30. The two previous radio promo singles were "96 BPM", which ran 4:51 long, and "99 BPM" at 4:39. Sounds like some radio programmers felt those two versions were a bit too long or too slow. The new version, while only a few seconds shorter, has a noticeably quicker pace.

is it just the same song just speeded up? or it's a bit different? any chance to hear this 103 bpm version?

Sometimes climbs one spot to 13 on VH-1, even though it was the most played video played last week - 52 times! I think VH-1 is setting up the song for a long chart run, hence the small rise. If it peaks at #1 too early, it won't be consistent with radio play, so I think they're holding it back a bit.

Soldatti said:
I don't promisse anything because it's very hard to get.

Don't worry, if one week it looks like you can get it, thats great.

How does VH-1 determine their Top 20? From the looks of their website, it doesn't appear that viewers have any voice in it.

They are very vague

2Hearts said:
How does VH-1 determine their Top 20? From the looks of their website, it doesn't appear that viewers have any voice in it.

It's so vague...and that goes for most video channels. I think they just try to mirror radio play, promote certain bands, and who knows what else goes into their formula. VH1 is especially kind to U2, as most of their videos make the charts and often go to the top. MTV certainly played ABOY a lot...more than radio. I think that's because MTV sponsored the "Jam session".

I think Video airplay helps a song and album get exposure, but the charting process is manipulated. BB counts sales and airplay, while R&R, Media Guide, and other firms cover formats & airplay only, which are probably the most important charts of all.

Back
Top Bottom