Week 17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark your words ´cos NLOTH current worldwide sales stand at 3,3 M so it´s only 0,7 M to go to get to 4 M. When the time comes I will be the first to remind you that you were wrong.

NLOTH hasn't sold 3.3 million copies worldwide yet. As of this week, it's sold just over 3 million copies worldwide.

Oh, and about your last statement, you want us to believe that "many" people do not like any album that has been released this year so they don´t buy them. That´s ludicrous, to say the least. Look at Eminem.

No, what's ludicrous is that you actually believe that the downloading of free music is the only reason why there has been a decline in the sales market, even though there's compelling evidence to the contrary.

...well, then, if you want to believe wrestling is real, go right ahead...

The king of hip hop of the last decade is struggling to sell records. Why? Because all of a sudden hip hop fans do not like his music? Give me a break.

No, it's because many hip hop fans do not like his latest album AND because of the downloading of free music. And this hasn't happened "all of a sudden"...there's been a somewhat steady decline over the past 10 years...

Please learn to read.

:coocoo:

"LOL, Eminem is doing fantastic and still has a chance to surpass NLOTH sales for 2009 provided NLOTH continues to decline and Eminem's new one stabilizes"

Well, I ws thinking about his previous albums. There is a significant decline in his sales. If you adjust for the size of the markets, I'm sure his results are disappointing. He is basically the best selling act worldwide of the last 12 years, I was expecting more from him (5 to 6 million), we will see how he keeps.

1. Something you always fail to mention are the full market figures for 2009. Thats right, they are not in yet, but based on current results will be 15% to 20% less thant the figures for 2008. That will put it at about 1973 levels in the list you put up, and well below anything in the early 80s.

2. As most people know, the decline for big selling albums since the year 2000 has been much steeper than the overall decline in the market. Something that you continue to ignore for some reason although I have posted the factual numbers MULTIPLE TIMES.

As for piracy in previous decades, look at this:

Billboard - Google Libros

Billboard - Google Libros

There are many more. Even as serious organizations as IFPI Germany (and its counterparts in other cuntries like Italy, Sweden, other Scandianavian markets, Netherlands and others) were thinking on new policies to stop the high level of piracy, which means that they actually had invest money, time and effot in that. If piracy was as insifnificant as you claim, they wouldn't have been doing that. But because they were losing money, they had to do something. The situation was even worse in other parts, like Latin America, Africa, Russia and other European countries (mainly in the East).

Irrelevant! Yes, Piracy has always occured on some level everywhere. But its only been since the year 2000 that it has seriously impacted the industry. Unless you can show a steady decline in sales in any of these countries year after year, you got ZIP.

I didn't ignore your list of albums certified on each year, it is just that I didn't understand if those albums are supposed to have been the ones released on a given year and eventually certified in any other or the ones certifed on a given year regardless of when they were released; and also, I didn't understand what you were supposed to prove with that list. There were more albums selling well back then, even if their overall market wasn't bigger than it is right now, that is partly what i'm claiming, although not exactly the same.

The factual list of 500,000 plus sellers that I showed, clearly shows that it is much more difficult in 2009 to sell 500,000 copies that in was in the early 1980s. Again, the market in 2009 for big selling albums, 500,000+ or even 100,000+ is where it was all the way back in the 1960s.

In which posts did exactly claim that U2 aren't as popular as they supposedly are?. I remember having a slight argument with you with regards to the best selling album during 1991 and 1992. I clearly remembered that I mentioned Queen's "Greatest Hits 2" as being one of them and provided enough evidence and links in order for you to check it. I didn't dispute what U2 were selling but the fact that you were clearly missing an album. I even gave you plenty of links you had no idea about for you to find new information. Is that what you call "trolling"?.

This post, and every post in this thread is aimed at discrediting NLOTH sales of 3 million copies as not being a significant achievement or that being the best selling album of the year does not mean what it did in the past. Any attempt to say that being #1 in 2009 is not as significant as being #1 in 2005, 2000, 1995, 1990, 1985, 1980, or 1975 is an obvious attempt to discredit U2's album sales this year!

Trolling, is when ALL your post consistently are an attempt in some way to discredit or say something negative about the band. You have around 28 or 29 posts now. It does not take that long to go through them. I challenge you to find ONE, just ONE that could be construed as being 100% positive about the band. Nothing neutral or negative, just 100% positive.

You also have one post where you PRESUMPTIOSLY declare that U2 have NEVER had the best selling album ever in any year. Your bias is very clear, and the lengths that you went to discuss QUEEN album sales on a U2 FAN WEBSITE are further evidence of that fact as well is your consistent insistence that the fact that U2 has the #1 selling album of 2009 at the moment does not mean as much as it did in any other year.

The only post I remember making about The Edge is this one:

"Well, the guy of Rush is by far a better guitarist, at least in terms of technical aspects, which is a very important factor. Personally, I don't even regard The Edge as super guitarist or anything like that. He was just what a band like U2 needs. I don't imagine Steve Vai or Becker playing with the Irish folks, for example."

That wasn't negative. All I said was that I don't regard him as an extremely technical guitarist, but the perfect instrumentalist for U2. Why?. Because he is extremely creative and gives the songs what they need: never more nor less, just the necessary.

Check this qoute out, your words:

"WELL, THE GUY OF RUSH IS BY FAR BETTER GUITARIST,"

Sorry, but that is not a positive comment about the Edge, its certainly neutral, and definitely in the negative column. When you come on to a bands FAN WEBSITE and state that another guitarist is FAR BETTER your clearly making a negative comment in the context of where you are posting the message.

If you ask any guitarist, I'm sure most of them will tell about the same.

Sorry, most guitarist I know would disagree. Not a surpise though because when it comes to ART, it is a matter of OPINION!

When you say that people don't admit that U2 have the best seling of the year, I guess you are talking about many people, but I'm definitely not concerned because I haven't said anything negative towards them.

The thrust of every single one of your post in this thread is to discredit the sales of No Line On The Horizon in 2009 in some way shape or form.

I'm not the one who is discredicting the sales of the top artist in 2009, YOU ARE! You just discredited the sales of Eminem above with LOL and your absurd claims that he should have sold X or Y or Z. He has the 3RD best selling album of the year after only 8 weeks!

But you see, you can't say he is selling well, because that would also mean U2 is doing great as well.

Many fans do that here. I'm just a casual fan and I don't do that.

Most posters have something in their posting history which shows they are actually a fan, and not just a big fan of some other artist coming onto a U2 forum to argue why they think U2 is NOT this or NOT that.

Disagreeing with you doesn't mean being a U2 hater or anything like that.

Your posting history doesn't show just simple disagreement about VARIOUS issues. Each post consistently attempts in some way to discredit the bands commercial success or artistic talent or in fact does not discuss the band at all.

And I don't think you are the crrect person to tell to stop with arguments, when nearly your whole post history is made up of uch arguments, you are continually involved in such debates, I'm not.

I'm not involved in consistently attempting to discredit the band from a business or talent standpoint. All of your post are consistently engaged in attempting to do one or the other.

What, is there an echo in here? You're missing the point. :doh:

Whats with the consistent blue font?

ANYONE who studies this business knows that U2 were virtually the only major artist to release an album in the first quarter of 2009 (most top selling artists release their albums in the fourth quarter). Anyways, in a matter of weeks, Lady Gaga's latest album will easily outsell NLOTH...and Eminem's latest will probably too. There are other recently released albums by AC/DC & Coldplay that have FAR outsold NLOTH. But I guess those are "exceptions" too?

Those albums were released in an earlier year, prior to the worst economic recession since the 1930s. Most people in Business and Economics as well as the general public understand the difference between 2009 and 2008 when it comes to money. Its rather unusual to be insisting that nothing would be different in terms of sales.

Look, ALL I am saying is that the reason for a declining sales markets is NOT solely based on the downloading of free music...it's also to due to the fact that many people do not like a lot of newer music being released today. I mean, are you actually saying that the ONLY reason why the sales market has declined is strictly because of the downloading of free music by many? Because if you are, that's "outright ridiculous".

A lot of people did not like the newer music being released in 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000, BUT those were the biggest selling years in the history of the music business.

WE BOTH KNOW that NLOTH will barely crack Platinum status in the US by the end of its initial run next summer.

Its also currently, THE 6TH BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE UNITED STATES for 2009!!!!!!!!

Exactly...and that's ALL I'm getting at. You can make all the excuses you want but it doesn't matter why they were sold. The very FACT that that many album were sold, especially in such a short period of time, COMPLETELY DESTROYS your claim (or anyone's) that the sole reason why NLOTH hasn't sold more copies is because of the downloading of free music in a declining sales market.

This is not 2008, its 2009. Different year, different conditions. In fact the worst economic conditions since the 1930s.

What consistently destroys your points week after week are the top 10 selling charts worldwide, in the United States, United Kingdom, Europe.

There is only one album released in 2009 that has been certified for sales of 1 million or more copies in Europe this year. Guess which album that is?

And again, in a matter of weeks, Lady Gaga's latest album will easily outsell NLOTH...and Eminem's latest will probably too. There are other recently released albums by AC/DC & Coldplay that have FAR outsold NLOTH. But I guess those are "exceptions" too?

Those albums were released in different years under vastly different economic conditions.

Even if Lady Gaga did not outsell U2, you would still concocked some crazy explanation to claim that the biggest selling album of 2009 was a poor seller.

NLOTH doesn't have a hope in hell at selling more than 4 million copies worldwide by the end of its initial run next year. And YOU KNOW IT. Why? Because, apart from the downloading of free music that many people take part in, MANY people who are willing to buy music just DON'T LIKE IT.

Whether you like it or not, the biggest selling album by a BAND in 2009 is going to be U2's NLOTH!:wink:

By the way, Looking forward to those Boxscores for DALLAS!!!!!!!!! Only 28,000 in attendance for Dallas you say?

Ahh, we'll see!!:wink:

No, what's ludicrous is that you actually believe that the downloading of free music is the only reason why there has been a decline in the sales market, even though there's compelling evidence to the contrary.

Whats ludicrous is that you believe part of the decline in sales is because people suddenly don't like most of the music. Sorry, but the only significant backlash ever scene in terms of not liking music or a music form happened around 1979 or 1980 in reaction to disco music. No one is burning albums at baseball games or other such stunts these days.

No one in the major industry magazines credits people hating or not liking music as being the reason for declining sales.

Yep, everyone knows someone who does not like music or the music industry, but there are not any more of them now than there were in 1999.

...well, then, if you want to believe wrestling is real, go right ahead...

Well, if you want to believe that only 28,000 people will be in attendance at U2's concert in Dallas this October!:wink:

Moggio predictions for U2 360 in North America:

City/Venue/Capacity/Tickets Sold/Gross/Average Ticket Price

October

1 Charlottesville, VA - Scott Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)
3 Raleigh - Carter Finley Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)
12 Dallas - Cowboys Stadium (attendance: 28,000/ GROSS: $1.8 million/$65)
14 Houston - Reliant Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS:$2 million/$65)
19 Norman, OK (Oklahoma City area) - University Memorial Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)

markets in which u2's grosses have remained basically stagnant since the 90s:

~ dallas
~ houston (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no austin/san antonio show)

what the hell are they going to do if they want to hit these above listed markets? Or are they going to skip them? Because at the prices they're charging nowadays, they won't even be able to sell out arena shows (or just barely in some cities) in these areas.

They'd still struggle to sell 25,000 tix in any of the midwestern and southern us markets i mentioned in my previous post.

Can you say popmart?

NLOTH hasn't sold 3.3 million copies worldwide yet. As of this week, it's sold just over 3 million copies worldwide.:

WRONG. Mediatraffic figure has just passed the 3 million mark. The site covers "only" 92.5% of total sales so a direct extrapolation puts NLOTH nearly at 3,3 million. Mind you, the other site that tracks global sales (MusicCharts.net) had NLOTH with over 3,2 million copies sold a couple of weeks ago. So 3,3 million is the figure to go with.

I never said it is the only reason but I do agree with others here in that it is the KEY factor for the underwhelming sales every single album is experiencing this year.

No, it's because many hip hop fans do not like his latest album AND because of the downloading of free music. And this hasn't happened "all of a sudden"...there's been a somewhat steady decline over the past 10 years...

Oh right, so you have conducted a scientific survey to determine that Eminem´s fans did not like his latest album? Oh wait, this is also the case with Green Day´s fans right? They hate their new album as well?
Again, give me a break.

Please learn to read.

Please, learn to make sense.

Lady Gaga and AC/DC's latest albums were released AFTER the economy crashed (and so was Nickelback's). :coocoo:

And as far as the concert industry's current status goes, check this out:

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFeatures2009/2009MidYearBusinessAnalysis.pdf

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFeatures2009/2009Top25WordwideTours.pdf

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFeatures2009/2009top100NorthAmericanTours.pdf

And as anyone can see, despite a current major worldwide recession, the concert industry and the vast majority of major touring artists are virtually unaffected and music fans are still spending top dollar to see their favourite artists live.

Spin that?

Maoil, I have just sent a private message to one of the moderator in order for them to decide whether I'm a troll or not. If they decide so, I will be banned. Otherwise, I think it is you who will receive a message stating that should calm down and stop calling names what other people say. You are insulting me by callimg me a troll, and continually saying that I'm wrong, false, absurd and other things with no apparent reason.

That language shouldn't be allowed so we will see. It is funny how you discredit what I say while I'm posting sources and links for you to see everything I say.

According to you, anything is a conspirancy fom my side to make you U2 look like crap and such, I can't believe. Just because someone doesn't think that U2's recent album isn't as successful as you, doesn't meant that it is because he is being a troll. There are opinions. And my comment about The Edge wasn't negative, all I said is that The Edge isn't as technically capable as the Rush's guitarist, but that the technique isn't that important when it comes to U2 so it isn't that important whether that guy is better or not from a technical point of view.

WRONG. Mediatraffic figure has just passed the 3 million mark. The site covers "only" 92.5% of total sales so a direct extrapolation puts NLOTH nearly at 3,3 million. Mind you, the other site that tracks global sales (MusicCharts.net) had NLOTH with over 3,2 million copies sold a couple of weeks ago. So 3,3 million is the figure to go with.

YOUR estimation is NOT an accurate "extrapolation". So stop pretending it is.

Oh right, so you have conducted a scientific survey to determine that Eminem´s fans did not like his latest album? Oh wait, this is also the case with Green Day´s fans right? They hate their new album as well?
Again, give me a break.

No scientific survey needed. And you're implying that I said that ALL Eminem & Green Day fans don't like their new albums. But I NEVER said that.

Please, learn to make sense.

Again, please learn to read.

If I'm banned, I want to thank Moggioi and Fedeu2 for the kindness here. You are both great. :D :up:

Lady Gaga and AC/DC's latest albums were released AFTER the economy crashed (and so was Nickelback's).

1. But Coldplay's album was not. Those albums were both released in the 4th quarter when Christmas sales are strong. For the music industry, the 4th quarter was the strongers quarter of 2008.

2. The unemployment rate in the 4th quarter of 2008 was only 6.5%. It is now 9.5% and projected to rise to 11%, the worst unemployment rate since the 1930s!

3. The average work week in the USA has fallen from 38 hours in 2008 to just 33 hours in 2009. So if you still have a job, your not making as much.

And as far as the concert industry's current status goes, check this out:

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFe...ssAnalysis.pdf

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFe...dwideTours.pdf

http://www.pollstarpro.com/SpecialFe...ricanTours.pdf

And as anyone can see, despite a current major worldwide recession, the concert industry and the vast majority of major touring artists are virtually unaffected and music fans are still spending top dollar to see their favourite artists live.

Spin that?

LOL, the economy impacts everything. All of these artist would be able to charge more for tickets as well as selling more tickets if the unemployment rate were below 5% and GDP was actually growing at a steady 4% rate.

Also, why did AC/DC recently drop their ticket prices for their Boston and New York shows to as low as $30 dollars? SPIN THAT?:wink:

If I'm banned, I want to thank Moggioi and Fedeu2 for the kindness here. You are both great. :D :up:

Thanks! :wink:

Maoil has always desperately tried to push U2 to the top, not matter what. I've been debating him for years...and you'll soon learn that he spins every FACT anyone ever states that PROVES U2 isn't as popular as he'd like them to be. He also has no objectivity whatsoever.
Just to let you know.

I occasionally jump in and get my feet wet with threads like this, just to show everyone here that he's full of...well, you know. I could go on and on and on for hours with him and continually hand him his ass but in the end, it's ultimately pointless for obvious reasons. And anyone reading this thread with any kind of objectivity whatsoever will see that.

YOUR estimation is NOT an accurate "extrapolation". So stop pretending it is.

So you´re dismissing MusicNet figures also? You choose to take into account the site that makes the lowest ESTIMATION for NLOTH sales. Mmmm, funny logic.

No scientific survey needed. And you're implying that I said that ALL Eminem & Green Day fans don't like their new albums. But I NEVER said that.

Yes, it is needed. Otherwise it would be (and actually is) just your impression which has no statistical validity whatsoever.

Maoil has always desperately tried to push U2 to the top, not matter what. I've been debating him for years...and you'll soon learn that he spins every FACT anyone ever states that PROVES U2 isn't as popular as he'd like them to be. He also has no objectivity whatsoever. Just to let you know.
I occasionally jump in and get my feet wet with threads like this, just to show everyone here that he's full of...well, you know. I could go on and on and on for hours with him and continually hand him his ass but in the end, it's ultimately pointless for obvious reasons. And anyone reading this thread with any kind of objectivity whatsoever will see that.

Just for the sake of objectivity, here are some recent predictions by MOGGIO for the U2 360 tour:

Moggio predictions for U2 360 in North America:

City/Venue/Capacity/Tickets Sold/Gross/Average Ticket Price

October

1 Charlottesville, VA - Scott Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)
3 Raleigh - Carter Finley Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)
12 Dallas - Cowboys Stadium (attendance: 28,000/ GROSS: $1.8 million/$65)
14 Houston - Reliant Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS:$2 million/$65)
19 Norman, OK (Oklahoma City area) - University Memorial Stadium (attendance: 31,000/ GROSS: $2 million/$65)

markets in which u2's grosses have remained basically stagnant since the 90s:

~ dallas
~ houston (the 2005 show doesn't count because there was no austin/san antonio show)

what the hell are they going to do if they want to hit these above listed markets? Or are they going to skip them? Because at the prices they're charging nowadays, they won't even be able to sell out arena shows (or just barely in some cities) in these areas.

They'd still struggle to sell 25,000 tix in any of the midwestern and southern us markets i mentioned in my previous post.

Can you say popmart?

So you´re dismissing MusicNet figures also? You choose to take into account the site that makes the lowest ESTIMATION for NLOTH sales. Mmmm, funny logic.

I trust MediaTraffic. And we're talking ESTIMATIONS. Remember that.

Yes, it is needed. Otherwise it would be (and actually is) just your impression which has no statistical validity whatsoever.

But YOUR "impression" has "statistical validity"?

Maoil has always desperately tried to push U2 to the top, not matter what. I've been debating him for years...and you'll soon learn that he spins every FACT anyone ever states that PROVES U2 isn't as popular as he'd like them to be. He also has no objectivity whatsoever.
Just to let you know.

Well, for some reason I´m not under the impression that you´re making any valid points here or winning any argument. Honestly, your claim that albums in 2009 are not selling as well as in the past because people don´t like the music which is being produced is absurd.

I believe music is less popular then it ever has been. You cant even find a music video on TV these days and the majority of radio stations are not playing new music they are playing music from 20 and 30 years ago because thats what people are listening to.

Music has gone down hill in the 2000s, no big trends have been set, the artists that are marginally successful are doing so because they remind people of other artists that they have heard in the past.

Music TV and Radio has failed its industry. Name 5 bands that were formed after the year 2000 that people are even mentioning to the general public. Barely any bands are even formed these days because it is all about look and image....plastic music for plastic people.

I trust MediaTraffic. And we're talking ESTIMATIONS. Remember that.

What you trust or not is irrelevant. Here we have two different music sites making predictions and one of them (MusicCharts.net) claims to cover nearly 100% of global sales while the other (Mediatraffic) does not.

But YOUR "impression" has "statistical validity"?[/QUOTE]

It´s not my impression, as I said, the 3,3 M for NLOTH makes perfect sense when comparing the figures from both specialized sites and adjusting mediatraffic numbers to 100%. As a result, the agreement is nearly perfect.
On the contrary, your claim that fans of the biggest artists are not happy with their last efforts holds no water. And remember, it is not the fans who turn an album in a monster seller but the general public. And by 2009 standards both NLOTH and Relapse are monster sellers.

Don´t even mention. And I don´t think you will be banned because: a) I don´t consider you a troll, b) the likes of GibsonExplorer and Moggio have been trolling here for long:wink:

What you trust or not is irrelevant. Here we have two different music sites making predictions and one of them (MusicCharts.net) claims to cover nearly 100% of global sales while the other (Mediatraffic) does not.

But that site is estimating more than mediatraffic is so that makes it more likely to be off, I'm pretty sure mediatraffic would cover the whole market if it was so easy to estimate sales there

But that site is estimating more than mediatraffic is so that makes it more likely to be off, I'm pretty sure mediatraffic would cover the whole market if it was so easy to estimate sales there

That´s not the point. Here we have a site that claims (according to comments from other people in this forum) to cover nearly 100% of worldwide sales and another site that we are positive does not do that. Four years ago, I distinctly remember a fellow fan who e-mailed the folks in Mediatraffic to specifically ask what proportion of the market was covered by their estimations. The response: 92.5%. So, unless there is new evidence that Mediatraffic covers 100% of the market I will continue to use the mentioned percentage and apply extrapolation.
Most important, the sales discrepancy between the two sites (about 250,000 for NLOTH) nearly vanished when applying extrapolation to Mediatraffic estimations.
I´m aware we are talking about one album only here. To give further support to what I´m saying the same procedure should be applied to all albums reported on both sites. Honestly, I didn´t do that.

Anyhow, this discussion will be irrelevant as soon as we have official reports from U2.com or the like about NLOTH sales

It's obviously time to put this thread to rest. If anyone has unresolved replies with other members you can use the private messaging feature.

Week 18 and 19 threads are up, feel free to continue there. However, please refrain from personally attacking each other. Debating is fine but it needs to be done in a respectable manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom