Week 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The impact of the new Hot 100 is great:
Vertigo was #61 last week and jumped at #44 this week, but with this new system you can see on Billboard that they printed the "testchart" for the last week position and Vertigo was #32 last week with this system!
I can imagine that the real position for Vertigo on the Hot 100 with this new system (last November/December) was around of #10 or #15.
Like I said before, the change was too late.

It really is a shame - U2 could've had another Top 20 hit!

Heck, given that "Vertigo" has the "triangle" shape by it - signifying Platinum sales, which clearly came from downloads as there was no CD single available in the U.S. - "Vertigo" probably would've cracked the Top 10! I would've loved to have seen that.

Alas...

Then again, one might say it was because of the monstrous success of "Vertigo" that Billboard saw the need to incorporate legal download sales into a single's performance. Many songs were selling well on iTunes before - but thanks to U2's commercial, "Vertigo" became a break-out seller on iTunes. So U2 actually helped change the charts!

Last edited:
Platinum MP3......that's amazing to say the least. "All Because Of You" has been gaining momentum on rock stations, but has stalled on the alternative ones.........then again, it's a more rocking song than "Vertigo" in my opinion, so I thought it would do better on the other format....

Being at #28 on the US chart is a disgrace, but look whos #1 there....a redneck hick kenny chesney...enough said.

Holding steady at 8 in Canada so I am happy about that.

Yahweh said:
Being at #28 on the US chart is a disgrace, but look whos #1 there....a redneck hick kenny chesney...enough said.

Being #28 is not a disgrace so long as you remain around the number for several months. As far as chart position, this album is doing better than ATYCLB.

Yahweh said:

Kenny Chesney is no more of a redneck than Shania Twain who is the most loved artist in Canada. Plus his album might be number one but it sold less than half what U2 sold in their first week. U2 is still loved very much in the U.S.

Global charts down from #5 to #6. No exact sales figures, but #5 has sold 159.000 albums, so U2's sales figure should be at ca. 150k.

fitz said:
Global charts down from #5 to #6. No exact sales figures, but #5 has sold 159.000 albums, so U2's sales figure should be at ca. 150k.
~

150.000??

Wow that's great! If they can keep that situation till the end of the year, by that time it will sell 12.000.000! In only one year!!

I was a little bit to optimistic, here are the exact global sales figures for the last two weeks:

U2's current album sold 144.000 copies last week and 125.000 copies this week, a total of 6.273.000 so far.
Ron / Mediatraffic

malhithearnaz said:
Why isn't U2 as popular in Germany as in other European countries?

That's a good question, and i don't know the answer. Maybe they have not enough airplay and they don't join enough big television shows as "Wetten dass..." or the "Echo-Verleihung".

fitz said:
I was a little bit to optimistic, here are the exact global sales figures for the last two weeks:

U2's current album sold 144.000 copies last week and 125.000 copies this week, a total of 6.273.000 so far.
Ron / Mediatraffic

Well we have got to admit 125.000 per week is still very good :)

If we consider HTDAAB will sell 100.000 per week, that means the album will sell more than 10.000.000 by the end of the year. But im sure with the tour coming in, and the grammies maybe it can maintain a 125.000 or 140.000 per week.

I am not disputing the fact that the album is doing better then ATYCLB but the US has one of the weakest fanbases as a ratio to the population in the world these days, but then again it has been that way since at least the POP days.

Hopefully the Grammys will give it a push as well as the Rock Hall Of Fame induction, as for Shania Twain she is indeed popular here as she is pretty much everywear. It is an invalid arguement I am comparing U2 in the US compaired to U2 in the rest of the world and honestly there really is no comparison.

The tour should sell a few more records but I had hoped it would pass the ATYCLB certified total of 4 million in the US, I dont see that happening now unless it wins Album Of The Year at next years Grammy Awards.

Back
Top Bottom