Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Here we go, its the start of WEEK 1 for the 'Best of 1990-2000'. The first result for Best of 1990-2000 is in for Ireland!

Ireland #1

I have started to search other countries charts yet, but in the next few days, the info should be coming in. In addition on the Irish charts, the Best Of 1980-1990 burst on to the Irish chart at #20! We should see a surge around the world this week for Best Of 1980-1990 since its the sister of 1990-2000. Much more in the next few days!

here in Italy it'only #16...but this is for the week from 25 to 31 of October! (sales' count starts on friday and end on thursday...don't ask me why!)
Ok I know...this needs an explaination: probably the Cd's arrived in stores the week before the official release...and you can understand what's happened ;)...that's Italy! :p

Thats what we call a street date violation.

don't be afraid...U2 will hit #1 next week! imporessive indeed is #16 based only on "underground" sales (note that the "best of.." couldn't be on the shelves in that week...so you had to know someone in the store and ask him a favour) and despite the high price (29?: only the 2cd's version is available here at the moment)

i don't know if this is the right thread but here's ES chart run in Italy:
34-1-2 (#1 is Madonna's new single "die another day")

once again in the 1st week ES hadn't been officially released yet

:( Oh no!!

The new Best Of is only #2 in the UK :mad:

after an unknown act (at least here in Italy): Blue (with the"one love" album)

I was sure about its #1 in the UK...:sad:

Great news! To bad it did not hit #1 in the UK though. I have a feeling there will be a lot of other countries where it will hit #1. Its already 2 out of 3 in doing that!

I can't believe that a) Best Of didn't get #1 in UK....that sucks.....i thought U2 were guarranteed that in the UK of all places (other than Ireland :tongue:), and b) It's already sold 150,000 units in Australia :eeklaugh:
That's terrific in Australia!
Just goes to show the strength of the market down here for U2 :wink:

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

No 2 in the UK

Well, U2/mgt/record company only have themselves to blame for not getting to No 1. If the Best Of & B Sides had been released with a `normal' price tag then it would have hit number 1.

Instead the price varied between ?14.99-?18.99, in record stores and ?13.99 (non-UK version) upwards on-line. Now the Blue album was available from around ?9.99 (stores) and ?8.99 (on line).

Many fans will wait for the single version of the U2 CD - also available today from ?9.99/?8.99.

If U2/mgt/record company had charged a normal price for the special edition it would be No 1 - but clearly greed got in the way (it doesn't cost ?5 upwards more to put the special edition together).

Mike

Hello,

I haven't issued these reports for some weeks, so please bare with me. :) This week The Best Of 1990-2000 debuts on the Dutch charts (courtesy of Mega Top 100 ).
The debut brings no surprises, it's a solid #1! Later this week I might know more about the lead it has over the #2 (a local Dutch artist (and a bad one) and last week's #1), but that'll be in %, not copies. Anyway, a very good debut by U2 (though not a surprising one).

There are no other U2 albums on the chart.

On the singles chart the news is a bit less positive. In its third week Electrical Storm drops six places to #10. Still, it has a third week in the top 10, more than I thought it would.
Here is the chart run for the single:
4-4-10

There are no other U2 singles on the chart. The #1 song is for a second week Nelly & Kelly with Dilemma (and before some start giving hateful comments, I like the song!).

C ya!

Marty

Great news Martian! Best Of is now 3 for 4 in making it to #1 in countries around the world!

According to info recieved by Hitsdailydouble.com , it looks like Best of 1990-2000 is headed for sales of 212,000 in its first week landing at #3 while Justin Timberlake will hit the 400,000 mark at #2 and M&M will stay at #1 with about 700,000 copies sold. But this is the info with only 12% of the info recieved. Great to see the best of breaking the 200,000 mark though. Perhaps it can beat the first week by the Best of 1980-1990 in the USA.

Well, the way things are shaping up now (and with Hits, things continue to change as they go) 8 mile looks to be somewhere in the 575 - 600,000 range, with very close competition from Justin Timberlake probably heading to around 550,000 with U2 a distant 3rd with around 220,000. But things are continuing to shape up.

Right now @ 34.43%, U2 are @ 74,116 copies sold. This projects to just under 216,000, but personally i reckon U2 will get slightly under that figure....more around 208-212,000 based on past performances where they've dropped off a bit towards the end.
Still a #3 debut will keep me happy! I wasn't even expecting them to get so high. Here's to hoping the next 65.57% is even kinder to U2 than the first 1/3 :yes:

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

Last edited:
Well, as I stated earlier, Hits information continues to evolve as the time passes, so it's always interesting to keep an eye on. That being said, with 51.62% reporting, U2 is now on track to 283,000 copies. Yes, this could easily change. We'll know for sure by days end.

Hello,

The final numbers from Hits are in. U2 debuts at #3 with 203K copies sold. This is lower than many predicted (including Hits themselves). There was also a big drop-off on the last day (as U2 had sold about 150K with 50% in). The main reason for this is that on Tuesday many of the large chains (like Walmart and Target) report to Hits, chains that apparently do not have a large customer base that buys U2 records.
Nevertheless, #3 is quite well and we have to see what the actual SoundScan numbers will look like (apparently, Hits had an error on the 8 Mile soundtrack of 50K last week).

C ya!

Marty

I feel this is a great victory in sale if it holds up. 204,000 copies is very close to the 237,000 copies that 1980-1990 sold in its first week. Best of 1980-1990 has more popular hits on it, so to see The Best of 1990-2000 do almost as well is great!

Mr. Timberlake (if hits is correct) sales 446,000 copies, a tiny fraction of N'SYNC's 2.4 million and about half of what many projected he would sale. M&M barely gets past the 500,000 mark.

I'll be sure to post the SoundScan numbers when (and if) Melissa sends them to me.

I bought my copy of the 90's "Best Of" this past weekend. I was in the Boston (Newton) area for several reasons (I now live in Connecticut) and stopped at a Best Buy first. They were SOLD OUT of the U2 album! I then went to a nearby Target and bought it there.

Still, the fact that this Best Buy had sold out of the album is impressive. As such, I do think that the Hits numbers are either right on, or a tiny bit low. Still, the #3 debut matches that of ATYCLB and is a solid number - especially considering that it is mostly just repackaged, previously released material of a slightly less popular era in U2's career. :yes:

How many copies did the Rolling Stones "Forty Licks" cd debut with? I think it was over 300k?? I'm asking b/c I saw plenty of promo ads for the cd on tv, and that explains the high debut. Where as for Best 1990-2000, I only saw like 2 ads on tv. If it sells over 250K this week, that great considering I don't think its being promoted that well especially on tv. Where's the 1900-2000 video collection on MTV2, and where's the 108th airiing of VH1 Legends??? :eyebrow: At least there's the Slane concernt on Thanksgiving weeked...

I think Best Buy had sell out's all over...

Prolly the reason being they had it for 14.99!!!!!!!

So did Target.

Good for them for putting it on sale. 2 cd's and a bonus DVD for that price!

I was at borders the other day and it was 25.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not, the Barns and Noble Bookstore near my house had the lowest price for the Best of 1990-2000. I bought it the day it came out. I later discovered from friends who went there to buy it that they only had three copies! I had bought the second one, and my friends had to go to circuit city to get theirs.

Remember, the 40 licks Stones collection includes material from the most popular time in their career. I wonder how a Stone's Best of CD of their material from just the 80s and 90s would do in its first week?

[. I wonder how a Stone's Best of CD of their material from just the 80s and 90s would do in its first week? [/B]

HAHAHA!! :lol: Now that wouldn't sell worth a shit! 204,000 copies isn't bad, considering that is was also packaged with a DVD and a Double CD, thus jacking up the price tremendously. I bought it for $24.99. Being the fan I am, it was nothing for me to pay this much, yet I wondered how many people would. Maybe when the single CD comes out, and the price is right, it'll pick up more sales. I agree, promotion was terrible. I saw one TV commercial, and I saw an hour of U2 videos, 1990-2000. I think the inclusion of "Elevation", "Walk on", "The Fly", "Wild horses", "God's angels" and "Please" would've made this a more attractive buy for the casual fan. But I'm happy with the tracklisting, don't get me wrong. Also, I don't think that Island Records kissed enough ass and payed enough cash for "Electrical Storm" to climb the charts.

I think for U2 to beat everyone except Justin and M&M is fine. I didn't expect U2 to make it to #1, nobody did. But someday, I really want U2 to take Timberlake down....hate that shit head. Hopefully next fall, when the release their album, it is properly promoted. I'd like to have U2 go to #1 next time. They need to pick a week when no teen idols are releasing an album. Everyone releases albums before Christmas, however, so competition is fierce between October-December. But, I don't care really how many people buy it....I know I bought it, and I know that I enjoy it thoroughly. That's what counts.

I'm a bit disappointed:

USA #3(that's ok) but only 185,000 copies sold :|

Hits predictions pumped me, I was sure it would pass 200,000 copies

Now I agree with STING2 when he said that new Best Of will hardly reach figure sales of the 80s one

Last edited:
Bastian said:
I'm a bit disappointed:

USA #3(that's ok) but only 185,000 copies sold :|

Where did you get this figure? HitsDailyDouble is currently saying that U2 has sold 203,000 copies this past week. The new Billboard listings won't be out till tomorrow, as far as I know.

Both Rollingstone and MTV/VH1 are reporting this week sales. I'm a bit disappointed, I thought it would sell over 200K. It seems Hitsdailydouble.com were over estimating. There's hardly any promotion for this cd, which really sucks. ES didn't exactly stay on the radio that long, at least the video is doing well on VH1's weekly countdown..

Why canada rocks

U2 outdistances '8 Mile' on charts
By JOHN WILLIAMS -- JAM! Showbiz

U2 made an electrical debut on the Canadian album charts this week, momentarily taking some power out of the Eminem juggernaut.

The Irish rockers' new greatest hits compilation "Best Of 1990 - 2000" took over the No. 1 spot with first week sales of 55,900, outdistancing the soundtrack to the Eminem film "8 Mile" soundtrack (44,600) which slipped one position to second, according to data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan Canada.

Eminem capped a great week earlier by holding the No. 1 spot in both the movie and record charts in the same week.

'N Sync star Justin Timberlake made a splash with his solo debut "Justified," entering the charts in third on sales of 18,700. The french compilation "Mixmania" (16,600) debuted in fourth, while Elvis Presley's "Elvis: 30 No. 1 Hits" (14,400) fell one spot to fifth.

Napanee native Avril Lavigne held steady in sixth with her smash hit "Let Go" (13,900), while Nirvana's greatest hits album "Nirvana" (13,700) and Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" (11,300) both plummeted five spots to seventh and eighth respectively.

Santana's "Shaman" (11,000) fell two positions to ninth, and the Rolling Stones "Forty Licks" (10,600) rounded out the top 10.

Other notable debuts include Andrea Bocelli's "Sentimento" at No. 15, David Gray's "New Day At Midnight" at No. 21 and Dave Matthews Band's "Live At Folsom Field" at No. 29. Tony Bennett and K.D. Lang's "Wonderful World" entered at No. 32, while Insane Clown Posse's "The Wraith: Shangri-La" debuted at No. 36.

In the U.S., "8 Mile" held onto the top spot with sales of 508,400. Justin Timberlake (439,400) and U2 (184,800) entered in second and third respectively, while Christina Aguilera (168,200) dropped from second to fourth and Santana (139,300) fell one notch to fifth.

Here are the 10 best-selling albums in Canada, according to Nielsen SoundScan:

1. U2 -- "BEST OF 1990 - 2000" (55,900)
2. VARIOUS ARTISTS -- "8 MILE OST" (44,600)
3. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE -- "JUSTIFIED" (18,700)
4. VARIOUS ARTISTS -- "MIXMANIA" (16,600)
5. ELVIS PRESLEY -- "ELVIS: 30 #1 HITS" (14,400)
6. AVRIL LAVIGNE -- "LET GO" (13,900)
7. NIRVANA -- "NIRVANA" (13,700)
8. CHRISTINA AGUILERA -- "STRIPPED" (11,300)
9. SANTANA -- "SHAMAN" (11,000)
10 ROLLING STONES -- "FORTY LICKS" (10,600)

Back
Top Bottom