Vertigo - Week 13/All Because of You - Week 3/ HTDAAB - Week 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
consider France, Germany, Italy, Spain and other European countries: these are all rich countries and probably represent 75% of the ROW sales....minus 11% the week before the Christmas week isn't good.
(and i wouldn't consider Japan..probably from this week onwards sales will be lower than 10k)

Add to this that almost every album had an increase...why only U2 suffered this drop?

doctorwho said:

That is outstanding! :shocked:

I remember ATYCLB taking something like 6 months to a year before finally getting that 3x Platinum certification (which is what I really felt U2 had to do with ATYCLB - anything over that was "icing"). And here with HTDAAB, U2 has 3x Platinum within 4 weeks!! :ohmy:

As we've all said, it'll probably finish the holiday season with 2 to 2.2M in sales. It'll be interesting to see how fast HTDAAB reaches (if ever) that 4x Platinum certification. Still, do we even dare dream of 5x Platinum? :drool:

So.. U2 has now sold 51 million copies in USA according to RIAA!!

Vox

Vox02 said:

So.. U2 has now sold 51 million copies in USA according to RIAA!!

Vox

No, 52 million. You forgot the 4x platinum of ATYCLB. When that list of best selling artists in the USA was generated in August 2003, ATYCLB was still at 3x platinum. :)

Dima,

Why the drop for U2 - probably because they are coming from the highest base at 800k copies per week. The other artists are not at these levels so U2 are holding their sales in most countries around the world.

Holy crap - 800k per week. That is massive number

3 platinum in the US for shipments. They probably have shipped 3.5m copies. Another couple of months or less, it should be 4 platinum in shipments

Popmartijn said:

No, 52 million. You forgot the 4x platinum of ATYCLB. When that list of best selling artists in the USA was generated in August 2003, ATYCLB was still at 3x platinum. :)

True! sorry Marty :)

Vox

i'm not complaining: these are massive sales...i'm only wondering about the reasons of this drop and if this album could match the impressive stayin power showed by ATYCLB.
While i'm almost sure that HTDAAB will surpass ATYCLB in total sales the question is: will it be a just fast seller (like Pop even if with bigger numbers), a long time seller (like ATYCLB)...or could it be both a fast seller and a long time runner (like JT)?

Last edited:
Dima said:
honestly i didn't expect this decline.
Just to put this in perspective consider this: major markets (USA, UK, Australia and Canada) last week had combined sales of 526k copies while this week had combines sales of 540k (2.6% increase)...this means that ROW sales last week were 314k while this week fell to 280 with almost 11% decline: i don't like this trend considering that this was the week just before Christmas..i hope to see an increase next week: i'm starting to worry for the staying power of this album on the long term

That global chart does not cover 100% of the world market so its figures underestimate total sales.

ok it understimates total sales...but without being too far from truth we could suppose it covers about 90-95% of markets that have a minimal impact on European acts' total sales...USA, UK, Australia, Canada and almost all Western Europe markets. So the drop of 11% is a fact we should analyze.

Dima said:
ok it understimates total sales...but without being too far from truth we could suppose it covers about 90-95% of markets that have a minimal impact on European acts' total sales...USA, UK, Australia, Canada and almost all Western Europe markets. So the drop of 11% is a fact we should analyze.

Different promotion..different sales..

JAPAN

Oricon International Album chart December 27, 2004

1<9>"Destiny Fulfilled"- Destiny's Child (38,645)
2<11>"Greatest Hits:My Prerogative"- Britney Spears (23,176)
3<13>"100.000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong" - Bon Jovi (22,152)
4<14>"Wonderful Christmas"- Various Artists (Japan Only) (21,741)
5<16>"Concrete Rose"- Ashanti (19,395)
6<17>"I Believe"- Tata Young (19,103)
7<19>"Encore"- Eminem (17,531)
8<29>"How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb"- U2 (11,576)
9<35>"Best Of Blue"- Blue (10,002)
10<40>"With The Lights Out" [Box Set+Dvd]- Nirvana (8,128)

< >= Rank of Overall charts
( )=Sales for one week

Run so far: *4*-9-14-22-29 (5 wks)
Sales so far: 84,129 + 44,394 + 24,903 + 15,549 + 11,576 = 180,551

Last edited:
Dima said:
honestly i didn't expect this decline.
Just to put this in perspective consider this: major markets (USA, UK, Australia and Canada) last week had combined sales of 526k copies while this week had combines sales of 540k (2.6% increase)...this means that ROW sales last week were 314k while this week fell to 280 with almost 11% decline: i don't like this trend considering that this was the week just before Christmas..i hope to see an increase next week: i'm starting to worry for the staying power of this album on the long term

I can't understand your theory. Were the ROW sales not higher than 280k because in the US, they sold more than that.
What are these combined sales and the ROW sales?
Thanks!

ROW= Rest Of the World :)

so if total sales according to mediatrafffic are 820k and combined sales of USA, UK, Canada and Australia are 540k then rest of the world's rough sales are 280k :)

Dear (cara) Dima, i think these are very impressive numbers!!
You know that in Europe the real pre Xmas week has been that from 20 to 24 (so we could see the next chart) and you also know that all the record shops-at least here in Italy but i guess in the other EU countries too!-are full of best of..(R.Williams,Blue) and compilations (very "neutral" gift!).
I already said that we could have seen a phisiological little drop in
in the charts and in the sales expecially for a "new full album" release, but also consider we already start from big selling number of the previous weeks. The fact that in Europe they are selling less than US/UK is absolutely normal in consideration of the (unfortunately) very poor promotion in these countries and,you know, this counts in terms of sales expecially during the Holiday season.
However, consider that worldwide U2 are selling at about the same speed of Eminem ! And this was absolutely unthinkeable some weeks ago..

CICOLO said:
Dear (cara) Dima, i think these are very impressive numbers!!
You know that in Europe the real pre Xmas week has been that from 20 to 24 (so we could see the next chart) and you also know that all the record shops-at least here in Italy but i guess in the other EU countries too!-are full of best of..(R.Williams,Blue) and compilations (very "neutral" gift!).
I already said that we could have seen a phisiological little drop in
in the charts and in the sales expecially for a "new full album" release, but also consider we already start from big selling number of the previous weeks. The fact that in Europe they are selling less than US/UK is absolutely normal in consideration of the (unfortunately) very poor promotion in these countries and,you know, this counts in terms of sales expecially during the Holiday season.
However, consider that worldwide U2 are selling at about the same speed of Eminem ! And this was absolutely unthinkeable some weeks ago..

i understand your point but still i was expecting a little increase: i hope to see an increase this week(and actually i'm quite confident about it)...something like 840-900k copies (10% increase)

as a side note...i'm a boy :yikes: so "caro" is more appropriate ;)

In Canada, "Vertigo" remains the #1 song on the airplay charts (chart for Dec. 23rd). This appears to be the latest chart.

Given that the song is #1 on the airwaves and that the CD singles for "Vertigo" have remained in the Top 6 since their debut (admittedly, CD single sales are also weak in Canada as in the U.S., barring a few exceptions), I'm still surprised HTDAAB isn't performing even better than it is in Canada.

doctorwho said:
In Canada, "Vertigo" remains the #1 song on the airplay charts (chart for Dec. 23rd). This appears to be the latest chart.

Given that the song is #1 on the airwaves and that the CD singles for "Vertigo" have remained in the Top 6 since their debut (admittedly, CD single sales are also weak in Canada as in the U.S., barring a few exceptions), I'm still surprised HTDAAB isn't performing even better than it is in Canada.

Greatest Hits are tough enemies during holiday weeks...a lot of people wouldn't buy a regular Shania Twain album cause they fear they wouldn't find any good songs other than what they heard on the radio, but they'd buy a collection of singles: it's a safe gift for Christmas

Everybody who bought a copy of that Shania CD should be forced to watch that godawful video of her swinging on the chandelier on an endless loop.

Back
Top Bottom