Vertigo Number 1 in the UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davmar

The Fly
Currently, Delta sits at number nine just behind UK boyband 'V' with .U2 taking hold of the number one position. Currently the rest of the top ten positions are taken by the likes of Destiny's Child, Eminem and Blue.

Recently cut this from an Australian radio station music website talking about this weeks UK chart and it appears that Vertigo will go number 1 on the UK chart this week

Yep, it's confirmed - U2's "Vertigo" is #1 this week. It pushed aside "Just Lose It" by Eminem (which drops to #3) and keeps Destiny Child's "Lose My Breath" at #2.

Eminem's album, "Encore", does debut at #1.

U2's "Vertigo" also becomes the #1 downloaded song in the U.K. (up from #2).

Last edited:
is there any airplay chart of the UK? i think we should look for this kind of charts as they are more indicative of real listeners' tastes...

Is it?
I think that airplay charts are based on what radio stations play and that's not necessarily the same as what listeners want to hear. Whereas, with sales charts, you get a better indication of what people want to hear, because they go out and buy it themselves!

Dima said:
is there any airplay chart of the UK?

UK Top 50 Airplay (Nov. 20, 2004)

TW LW: Artist - Single
1(4): Lemar - If There's Any Justice
2(18): Kylie Minogue - I Believe In You
3(1): Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
4(6): Jamelia - Stop
5(3): Scissor Sisters - Mary
6(10): U2 - Vertigo
7(7): Christina Aguilera/Missy Elliott - Car Wash
8(2): Daniel Bedingfield - Nothing Hurts Like Love
9(8): Michael Gray - The Weekend
10(11): Eminem - Just Lose It
11(23): Keane - This Is The Last Time
12(32): Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
13(12): Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For?
14(27): Embrace - Ashes
15(20): Britney Spears - My Prerogative
16(17): Jamelia - DJ
17(5): Eric Prydz - Call On Me
18(9): JoJo - Leave (Get Out)
19(46): Usher/Alicia Keys - My Boo
20(21): Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme
21(14): Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
22(16): Kelis/Andre 3000 - Millionaire
23(24): Elton John - All That I'm Allowed (I'm Thankful)
24(13): Maroon 5 - This Love
25(40): Girls Aloud - I'll Stand By You
26(15): Jay Sean - Stolen
27(42): George Michael - Round Here
28(43): Paul Weller - Thinking Of You
29(50): Brian McFadden - Irish Son
30(19): Joss Stone - You Had Me
31(41): Tyler James - Why Do I Do?
32(26): Angel City - Do You Know (I Go Crazy)
33(30): Ja Rule/R Kelly/Ashanti - Wonderful
34(29): Deep Dish - Flashdance
35(NE): Uniting Nations - Out Of Touch
36(25): Robbie Williams - Radio
37(33): Keane - Bedshaped
38(38): Nelly/Jaheim - My Place
39(NE): Robbie Williams - Misunderstood
40(28): Natasha Bedingfield - These Words
41(NE): Steriogram - Walkie Talkie Man
42(NE): Ice Cube/Mack 10/Ms Toi - You Can Do It
43(36): The Finn Brothers - Nothing Wrong With You
44(31): Travis - Walking In The Sun
45(NE): Geri Halliwell - Ride It
46(NE): Nelly/Christina Aguilera - Tilt Ya Head Back
47(RE): Scissor Sisters - Laura
48(NE): Blue - Curtain Falls
49(39): Anastacia - Sick And Tired
50(34): Ashlee Simpson - Pieces Of Me

U2's position is the peak so far.

Popmartijn said:
Is it?
I think that airplay charts are based on what radio stations play and that's not necessarily the same as what listeners want to hear. Whereas, with sales charts, you get a better indication of what people want to hear, because they go out and buy it themselves!

i think that 50k singles in 1 week (with some exceptions) is more than enough to make a #1 hit in the Uk...50k listeners isn't what i define a major success (and probably 45k of those are hardcore fans)

and mind that the Uk is a strong market for single sales...in Italy for example 5k singles make a #1 in at least 45 weeks out of 52 (and from what i read the sitation is similar all over the world).

From memory BD sold over 100K the first week or was that for the Sweetest Thing. Vertigo sold half that to get to number 1. What it shows is probably a worldwide trend of declining CD singles sales. In Aust, a cd single costs $5 for a couple of songs - more if it is a special DVD. Could be an extinct species in a few years time???

zoo tv mcg said:
From memory BD sold over 100K the first week or was that for the Sweetest Thing. Vertigo sold half that to get to number 1. What it shows is probably a worldwide trend of declining CD singles sales. In Aust, a cd single costs $5 for a couple of songs - more if it is a special DVD. Could be an extinct species in a few years time???

Bd sold about 70k copies in its 1st week...but the decline of single's sales is an unstoppable trend so i think we should look for airplay charts and not for sales' when talking about singles.

Popmartijn said:
But did 50,000 people request the song on the radio?

but what's the impact on album sales of 50k singles sold? expecially when you consider that the vast majority of buyers are actually u2 fans that will buy the album anyway? and what's the impact of heavy rotation on the radio? i think that in order to decide if a song is a major success or not we should look for airplay in every country (just like in the US)...being #1 in canada for example with only 2-3K singles sold is indeed just for statistic

zoo tv mcg said:

This is exactly why digital should count towards the top total lists. The I-tunes version of Vertigo sold 37,000 it's first week in the USA and not one of those count on the top 100 list. What a joke.

Back
Top Bottom