Vertigo North American Radio Report - Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teta040 said:
But the issue is this: if "Alternative" radio stations did not exist (like they didn't 13 yrs ago for AB), Top 40 would HAVE to play Vertigo out from the box...they feel more comfortable not instantly adding it even twice a day b/c there's someplace else for it to be played.

Is it routine for songs to be released first to the "Alterna-Ghetto" and THEN a month later to Top 40? First time I've heard of this brilliant marketing move. Was BD handled like this? Enlighten me please.

I still think it's a screwy move.

No, "alternative" stations were in their hayday in 92-93. U2 ruled the modern rock and rock lists around that time, especially with Mysterious Ways.

And yes, after Achtung Baby, U2 was pretty much relegated to releasing to modern rock and rock radio first, and then later to Pop stations. I don't know if really started as a marketing strategy or pretty much out of necessity, but realize that Pop radio is always looking for the next "new thing". U2 is not new, and have to prove themselves before Pop radio will touch them. $ baby :)

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
WHY aren't U2 played on Top 40? This REALLY ticks me off. Eminem can be played mostly at Top 40 and debut at 17. If Vertigo had been added at your local Top 40 stations it would doubtless be at least 15 points hiugher. This is what pisses me off. U2 are still being ghettoized beyond the current "teen' market. Top 40 stations are "regular" not "niche" stations, and that's what today's teens listen to. I'd love to hear them sandwiched between Britney and April Lavigne and Jay-Z and Even Shania Twain.

This wasn't what it wa slike for me growing up. I can remember hearing the Stones' "Dancing in the Street" next to Tears for Fears and Corey Hart and Bruce. in the mid-80's. And they were age-wise where U2 is now..in their 40's then. And that brought a whole new gen of Stones fans.

This ghettoizing of U2 HAS to stop. Unless they are given the same kind of rotation they used to get on Top 40 10 yrs ago they'll NEVER get higher than 25.

Damn it (sorry) they deserve better.

You are absolutely right. I think top 40 doesn't like U2 because they are not "pop" enough. Let's face it, U2 never has and never will appeal to teenagers. Teenagers are into the hip-hop artists and boy punk bands and Britney bubble-gum music, and the Maroon 5-type bands.

Back
Top Bottom