updates u2 18 numbers in u.s.a.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leaning towards double platinum, actually. Remember that the awards are all about shipments. Anyway, it's accreditation is probably being delayed (along with a few other albums) in order to be timed with the release of their new album.

Leaning towards double platinum, actually. Remember that the awards are all about shipments. Anyway, it's accreditation is probably being delayed (along with a few other albums) in order to be timed with the release of their new album.

Double platinum? :eyebrow:
926,402 Copies is still about 74,000 copies away from a platinum certification (which, with that week's rate is, about 52 weeks, or a full year).

Oops. Confused the numbers. I thought this was the total:

1,504 926

But it's 1504 that it sold last week which was 12% more than this week. It's total is only 926,402. Definitely in range for a certification though as I still see a lot of copies of this release on store shelves.

If it's sold almost 930K copies in the U.S., then easily a million have been shipped. Therefore, it would be certified as Platinum already in the U.S. If it hasn't been certified, it's because the label hasn't paid for it. RIAA, besides trying to sue everyone, also gets paid to certify. Sounds a bit self-serving, but it's the system.

most U2 albums probably due for recertification in US, Joshua Tree was certified diamond in 1995, must be selling 100,000 a year since? Certainly over 11M by now?

in the UK, ATYCLB is only certified as 2x platinum (600k) as of december 2000, and had strong sales throughout 2001. sales are at least twice this.

most U2 albums probably due for recertification in US, Joshua Tree was certified diamond in 1995, must be selling 100,000 a year since? Certainly over 11M by now?

in the UK, ATYCLB is only certified as 2x platinum (600k) as of december 2000, and had strong sales throughout 2001. sales are at least twice this.

I am certain that in the UK ATYCLB was certfied as 3 x platinum - even though the database may only show 2x. I also think it was very close to 1.2 m sales a couple of years ago so should have shipped enough for 4x platinum Mike

I am certain that in the UK ATYCLB was certfied as 3 x platinum - even though the database may only show 2x. I also think it was very close to 1.2 m sales a couple of years ago so should have shipped enough for 4x platinum Mike

Yes, it got 3xPlatinum sometime between March & July 2001 & Music Week (UK music industry bible) gave over the counter sales of 1,083,169 to end of Sat 5th Mar 2005. Since than it's spent another 9 wks in the top 200 (all in 2005), peaking at #91, meaning total UK sales/shipments must now be around the 1.2m/4xP mark.

'18' is also #115 on the BB comprehensive chart so i make it at around 6.9k sold (& ~950k in total).

It also re-entered here in the UK two weeks ago at #153 on sales of around 3.5k, then last week dropped to #172 with ~2.7k. It's UK total is probably now around 770k.

Last edited:
im a little disapointed in those UK ATYCLB sales, had actually thought it was more.

any reasons for u2:18 doing so well at the moment? could likely see other u2 albums, re-entering charts in the coming months with release of new album?, and certainly with the tour.

Last 3 wks on BB Top 200 Back Catalogue chart :

OUT (last wk '08, total: 945,454)
#11 with 6,893 (RE, total: 952,347)
#171 with 1,492 (-78%, total: 953,839)

It was on 831,252 to the end of ‘07 so it sold another 114,202 copies in US in ’08 at an average of 2,196 per week

there isn't a specific thread...sorry.
But u218 #78 in Uk this week and #35 in Ireland...good!

Back
Top Bottom