U2's single positions in the UK - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #16

Local Time: 02:02 PM
In fairness, Beautiful Day sold 80k in its first week in the UK to go to Number 1 (equivalent to 400k in the US), Vertigo sold 50k (equivalent to 250k in the US) and Sometimes sold about 32k (equivalent to 160k in the US), so i dont think it would be fair to say that U2 topped the chart with soft sales.

However now that downloads have taken off the sales of Physicals have gone way down from these figures.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:02 PM
There is a fact that not many people may be aware of and i think it might have caused the poor single sales of the last album. The guy who brings rarer U2 material to Brazil and sold me all of the last singles since 1991 told me that they are publishing a very very low volume of this last singles. I couldn't get the Boots single and CT probably wont come either. It's very sad since the singles from Leave Behind and Bomb were so easly purchased.

P.S.: He told me that they are producing only +- 4000 units for each version. I really don't know if that's accurate but i'm sure something is going on on this matter.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
What has happened here is that a song can be played on the radio weeks before it is available to buy on ITunes. So the initial excitement over the song may have died down before the single is available do download. But now this is changing. New UK single rule that single will be available for download as soon as the radio plays them. Also with the NLOTH single, a lot of radio stations were bycotting new U2 singles because Bono had a little set to with record companies over copyright payouts. At least he's not afraid to speak his mind.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyOnTheHorizon View Post
There is a fact that not many people may be aware of and i think it might have caused the poor single sales of the last album. The guy who brings rarer U2 material to Brazil and sold me all of the last singles since 1991 told me that they are publishing a very very low volume of this last singles. I couldn't get the Boots single and CT probably wont come either. It's very sad since the singles from Leave Behind and Bomb were so easly purchased.

P.S.: He told me that they are producing only +- 4000 units for each version. I really don't know if that's accurate but i'm sure something is going on on this matter.

Yes and this is what I've been saying all along. U2 seemed to want NLOTH as a niche album. The songs were less accessible and the cost of the album itself was less value for money than HTDAAB and ATYCLB. The only question is, why were the band so miffed that the UK market weren't keen on it? The UK public likes songs with big catchy sing-a-long hooks. They want to like the songs, they don't want to get the songs. They're not algebra.