U2: The Number Ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In the US and UK charts, U2 has had six number one singles. They are:

With or Without You (US)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (US)
Desire (UK)
The Fly (UK)
Discotheque (UK)
Beautiful Day (UK)

I rank them in the following order:

1. The Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Discotheque
5. With or Without You
6. Desire

So, what are your favorites? What should have made the top slot? Will U2 ever do it again?

i'm so glad to find out that Desire was a #1! what a great song.

here's my list

1.With or Without You
2. The Fly
3. Desire
4. Still Haven't Found
5. Discotheqe
6. Beautiful Day

the next #1 song: ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!

Well, maybe in the UK....it's impossible for them to hit the top of the charts here....

1. The Fly
2. With Or Without You
3. Beautiful Day
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. Discotheque
6. Desire

We all know 11 O'clock Tick Tock should've been number one the world over. I'm surprised that considering U2 are the biggest rock band in the world and have been for ages, that they've had so few number ones in the US and UK. I would've thought they'd have had number one after number one after number one ...

Hopefully something from the new album will go number one. It will in most markets ...

I don't find the fact that U2 have not had many #1's to be significant. After all, singles are about selling albums and how many artist out there have sold 120 million albums like U2 have? How many artist can fill stadiums in every corner of the Globe?

Uncut special

STING

You might be interested that the U2 UNCUT special edition mentions various sales figures for albums, some contradictory and other info plain wrong e.g. POP is quoted at 7 million sales in one article, and 6 million in another. ATYCLB is quoted as 12 million, that being their biggest seller - which is clearly wrong as JT hols that record. I guess we should expect official updates on ATYCLB and TOTAL as part of the marketing for the new album/induction into the HOF etc.

Mike

6 Number Ones is actually quite a lot......that would definitely put them in the top twenty all time, I'm sure...

BigMacPhisto said:
6 Number Ones is actually quite a lot......that would definitely put them in the top twenty all time, I'm sure...

Really? I see absolutely horrible artists going number one all the time, so I can't believe that U2 would languish below them when they're easily making much better music. For example, I'm shocked songs such as Streets, One, and Elevation didn't go number one considering their major popularity.

Oh, and I always thought Pride and New Year's Day both were number one hits ...?

Re: Uncut special

mikeuk said:
STING

You might be interested that the U2 UNCUT special edition mentions various sales figures for albums, some contradictory and other info plain wrong e.g. POP is quoted at 7 million sales in one article, and 6 million in another. ATYCLB is quoted as 12 million, that being their biggest seller - which is clearly wrong as JT hols that record. I guess we should expect official updates on ATYCLB and TOTAL as part of the marketing for the new album/induction into the HOF etc.

Mike

Another error: ATYCLB was not #1 in US (was #3) and BDay was not #1 in US (was #21).

Vox

FullonEdge said:
I thought "In God's Country" was number 1 in the Uk.

No, it never was. It only got to #48 or so. Not that bad, considering it was only available as an import (since it was never released in Europe, only in the U.S.A.)

C ya!

Marty

Vox02 said:

I think Pride was #3 in UK charts and NYD #9 ( their first Top 10 single in UK )

Vox

NYD PEAKED AT 10 IN THE UK - `THE CUTTER' BY ECHO & THE BUNNYMENT REACHED 9 AT AROUND THAT TIME.

MIKE

The number ones in the UK are only ever the 1st singe pre-album release, but it a testament to the buzz that is always created around a new U2 campaign. I think most people then buy the album so much fewer people buy the 2nd, 3rd, 4th single.

I couldn't really care about chart positions but it is nice that U2 have had a number 1 in the UK for the first single from every studio album since Rattle & Hum, and I hope it happens this time around - purely for continuity of course!

I agree......I think they'll have another #1 in the UK.....Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, Pop and All That You Can't Leave Behind all had a single that came out before the album......and all four went to #1, so I'd expect the process to get repeated once again.

Back
Top Bottom