U2 singles strategy upon further review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
So here is what will hit stores on June 8:

CD 1
1. City of Blinding Lights (Radio Edit)
2. All Because of You (Killa Hurtz Fly Mix)

CD 2
1. City of Blinding Lights (Radio Edit)
2. The Fly (Live from Stop Sellafield concert)
3. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Live from Stop Sellafield concert)

DVD
1. City of Blinding Lights (Live from opening night, San Diego)
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (promo video)
Bonus video footage

Why in the hell even have a CD1? IMO, as a 25th anniversary single, or just the need for a very good single to help sagging album sales, this does not cut it. I hope the live performances from Sellafield are better than what could have made the CD from the Vertigo tour (new songs like LPOE and acoustic YAHWEH would have pushed the album while still leaving plenty of singles). I agree a DVD had to be released, but with the CD. I don't know if that's the case, and the content looks weak (as in repeated) unless there is a hell of a lot of bonus footage. I cringe at the thought of a radio edit for a song that is 5:40 already.

Finally, U2 has abandoned, for sure, any singles strategy for the U.S. besides lead-off singles. To quote Interscope, "COBL will be in stores worldwide on June 8, 2005, except in the U.S., where there will not be a commercial single for sale".

At least we aren't releasing different singles at different times. If this single can make it through August, then OOTS and MD would help the 3rd leg sales in N.A. and possibly get the album back into the Top 40. I expect a small bump in N.A. sales starting in two weeks due to the major markets being played in from Chicago to NY to Boston. After mid-June, though, I expect the album to take a dive on the BB Hot 100 until U2 returns next fall.

Uggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! I wish they would let a few of us chart watchers map out a singles strategy! IMO, this sucks. They have plenty of great b-sides or live footage from the current tour that would at least help promote the album. I will never understand why a single with b-sides can't at least be available for download in the U.S.

Ironically, after U2 pioneered the way with Vertigo/I-pod, now downloads are actually skewing chart positions TOWARDS singles that include downloads and airplay, as some artists are seeing HUGE jumps in chart positions because of unprecedented CD sales (i.e., downloads) pushing that half of the equation out of sight. Vertigo may have just been U2's last chance at a #1 single on the BB Hot 100. I always estimated that sales would not have counted enough for a #1, but the sales market is so weak that it turns out if you have MASSIVE sales (i.e., downloads), you get a MASSIVE bump on the charts. Also, for a while, U2 did not have much competition in the download world. Yep, I think Vertigo would have hit #1.

At this point, with probably nearly 10M shipped for HTDAAB in a very depressed market, a sold-out world tour, and the universal crown as the best band in the world, I doubt U2 cares about the singles now.

Last edited:
Once again v.interesting thoughts BeLIEve - thanks for sharing them with us.

Yep, I think Vertigo would have hit #1.

I agree, I think Vertigo would have hit #1 in US with today's chart. :yes:

Hey beLIEve,

I'm not a big poster here as you can see, but a daily reader and always your info is the most interesting and informative.

and thank you for it.

I totally agree with you on their singles strategy, in the US it has been an absolute farce ever since Vertigo. I want to agree with you about them not caring at this stage but with all Bono's constant talk of 'havin a tune in the top 40' and how important it is to them....the whole thing just doesnt make sense. A band like U2 has unlimited resources to push tese single AND history with all of the radio stations that any other band would give their right arm for.

The other main thing is, I really feel a storm coming with Coldplay's new album. If Bono and the boys think that they have the 'Greatest and most loved Band in the World' sown up, they better think again. All you have to do is look at the No.8 debut of Speed of Sound (a fairly moderate tune) to know that this album is gonna be 'BIG'. I really think its gonna be their Joshua Tree and dominate this year. Dominate it even to the point where they'll be favourite for the Best album Grammy come february....along with a host of their singles...

I dont want this to happen, but I think they'll deserve it too, I'm personally looking forward to their album hugely and in a way think its gonna be everything I wanted the last 2 U2 albums to be...

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the threat they pose in the year ahead, as I think they're album is gonna open big (everywhere) and also they have the novelty of being a band that people are still finding out about and dont quite have a preconception of what they are or sound like......

sorry for the rant, but I haven't seen much time given to this 'threat' :wink: on the horizon for U2! ...and it almost looks as if 'they' are underestimating it to.....especially if you look at their ....lacklustre (for want of a stronger word) singles strategy...

:|

The singles strategy really is shocking. disgraceful in the US, its so important to get hit singles for album sales. just take a look at the artists doin well in the Hot 100, and then how well there albums are doing due to this.

a massive shame for downloads not being included for vertigo, but U2 still have a huge chance to get a big hit single in the US. COBL needs some proper promotion, and needs to be put on ALL radio formats at the same time, not a few diffrent ones each week.

Im surprised to see coldplays new single doing so well (its not that good), and yes the album will have a huge first week sales, though i doubt it will be able to get anywhere near 'bomb''s first week.

and HTDAAB will get 'album of the year' at the grammys. :wink:

Live is where they live

LemonAid said:
Hey beLIEve,

I'm not a big poster here as you can see, but a daily reader and always your info is the most interesting and informative.

and thank you for it.

I totally agree with you on their singles strategy, in the US it has been an absolute farce ever since Vertigo. I want to agree with you about them not caring at this stage but with all Bono's constant talk of 'havin a tune in the top 40' and how important it is to them....the whole thing just doesnt make sense. A band like U2 has unlimited resources to push tese single AND history with all of the radio stations that any other band would give their right arm for.

The other main thing is, I really feel a storm coming with Coldplay's new album. If Bono and the boys think that they have the 'Greatest and most loved Band in the World' sown up, they better think again. All you have to do is look at the No.8 debut of Speed of Sound (a fairly moderate tune) to know that this album is gonna be 'BIG'. I really think its gonna be their Joshua Tree and dominate this year. Dominate it even to the point where they'll be favourite for the Best album Grammy come february....along with a host of their singles...

I dont want this to happen, but I think they'll deserve it too, I'm personally looking forward to their album hugely and in a way think its gonna be everything I wanted the last 2 U2 albums to be...

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the threat they pose in the year ahead, as I think they're album is gonna open big (everywhere) and also they have the novelty of being a band that people are still finding out about and dont quite have a preconception of what they are or sound like......

sorry for the rant, but I haven't seen much time given to this 'threat' :wink: on the horizon for U2! ...and it almost looks as if 'they' are underestimating it to.....especially if you look at their ....lacklustre (for want of a stronger word) singles strategy...

:|

While I'm disappointed with U2's singles strategy, it may just be a sign of the times. "The end of the CD and the single?" emphasizes just how important it is, and will be, for a band to be able to make money by touring. I don't think there is another band in the world that's even close to U2's concert popularity. Every show...some 120+...sold out immediately. U2 is by far the hottest band on Earth right now, and Green Day is right there with album sales but not as a concert draw. Albums sales are going to be less and less of the equation, IMO. "Live is where we live", as Larry says, and that's what will always set U2 apart from their peers while they are still playing and making albums.

Back
Top Bottom