U2 set new ticket sales record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fedeu2

War Child
Sorry if this has already been posted.

From Hot Press:

The band sold 650,000 tickets in under seven hours.

Barely had Michael Jackson had time to celebrate setting a new ticket sales record with his London O2 residency than it was wrestled off him by U2 who on Friday March 20 managed to shift 650,000 tickets for their U2360 tour in seven hours – that’s an average of 112 a second.

Having had the news that they’d sold-out both of their Croke Park shows relayed to them by 2fm’s Gerry Ryan, Bono commented: “It’s overwhelming, really. It’s a very big deal for us to sell-out our hometown at such speed, it’s unbelievable.

“Gavin Friday says ‘insecurity is your best security’. That’s just who we are. We don’t take anything for granted. We had a big celebration to mark the album getting to number one in 31 countries – then we found out it wasn’t number one in Finland and we got depressed!

“Playing Dublin isn’t even a musical event, it’s a tribal event, a sociological experiment like a wedding.”

Despite the scale of the technology involved, Bono insists that U2360 won’t be “too choreographed. It’s a rock ‘n’ roll show, but we’ve created a stage set-up, which really allows us to get close to a lot of people. I’m going to have to be very fit though – I’m boxing, I’m running, I’m doing me press-ups, I’m chasing Larry Mullen down the road!”

Hot Press still fully expects a third U2 Croke Park show to be added on Monday July 26 – keep checking hotpress.com for details.

No real shocker there....I wouldnt doubt that they could sell out 5 shows at Croke Park if they wanted to.

This u2 record would quickly fall if jimmi Page could get Robert Plant to say okay to Led Zep. tour. considering the response to the benefit concert zep did in dec.2007 in london. every stadium in world would sellout in less than 2o minutes.hell even if axl Rose talked to slash with original members of gnr. records would fall.

This u2 record would quickly fall if jimmi Page could get Robert Plant to say okay to Led Zep. tour. considering the response to the benefit concert zep did in dec.2007 in london. every stadium in world would sellout in less than 2o minutes.hell even if axl Rose talked to slash with original members of gnr. records would fall.

Yes, and if we could raise John Lennon and George Harrison from the dead, and get the Beatles to reunite, the record would fall.

What's your point? There's a lot of "if's" there - almost as if you are dismissing the achievement. U2 did something no other artist has done to date. Will the record be broken? I'm sure it will - U2 may even break the record themselves later in their own tour. The point is for now, it's a worth accomplishment. So speculating on "if this happened" is pointless.

Haha. :up:

Yes and Beethoven was alive today and went on a world tour I'm sure he would sell out a stadium faster than U2 also. The thing is that Led Zeppelin and GNR would need to break up and reunite to break the record while U2 just keeps doing their thing and they smash the record anyway. Michael Jackson playing at the O2 Arena on his comeback was beaten by U2. And this is the King Of Pop.

Mikal,

The 3,4 and 5 of your top albums for 2009. What genre of music? I'm interested as I agree with your 1 and 2.

Thing is zep didnt break up, real rock died with John Bonham and Page laid Pa down his guitar for 6 yrs. get your facts straight. 60 millions people trying to get 20 thousand tickets for the benefit concert dec. 2007 NOBODY does that

Didn't break up? If that's how you define it then they didn't break up. Zep's lack of continuation in musical contribution I see as them breaking up. I'm not saying the numbers aren't impressive, I'm saying that U2 don't need to become an ancient act and not be musically relevant for 20 years to break ticket records. And the benefit concert was not only Led Zeppelin.

You think people showed up for anybody but zep. that night? be real. even without putting a cd. out since 1979,30 yrs. led zep has more impact on rock music then u2 will ever dream. every teenager including my 14yr. old son who plays a great guitar(not guitar hero with four buttons) still look at zep as gods and not one kid my son knows at his high school cares about u2 and we live in nashua ,nh. 25 miles from boston which a u2 irish hotbed.

You think people showed up for anybody but zep. that night? be real. even without putting a cd. out since 1979,30 yrs. led zep has more impact on rock music then u2 will ever dream. every teenager including my 14yr. old son who plays a great guitar(not guitar hero with four buttons) still look at zep as gods and not one kid my son knows at his high school cares about u2 and we live in nashua ,nh. 25 miles from boston which a u2 irish hotbed.

WHY SO SERIOUS? :crack:

***A 100% LedZep fan registered @ a U2 Forum. How/why in the blue hell did that happened?***

What the f*ck are you doing here dude ?, move your ass to Zeppelinstinks.com and don't come back.

What a brilliant first post, farmall. You will be remembered here. Feel free to leave.

Back to the topic, I think this is outstanding for U2. They always had big fan base in Europe, but for this tour I was very sceptical having in mind economic crisis. Now it appears they could even match Vertigo second leg numbers with some additional dates.

What the f*ck are you doing here dude ?, move your ass to Zeppelinstinks.com and don't come back.

Now lets give him a chance and welcome a conversation. I for one love to hear fans of other bands perspectives on U2 (as long as they are constructive). Im only 29 and never really got into Led Zep but I respect what they did and I do like some of their songs. I didn't grow up when they were in their prime in the 70's, so I don't want to knock them when I dont know much about them and how huge they were (and they were HUGE). I would like to ask this:

Farmall: What do you like about U2? What songs? Tours? Ect... Im just trying to get an idea of what type of U2 fan you are? By that I mean, 80's, 90's, 00's, all of thier music, some of their music, experimental, classic or do you just think Adam is cool (because he is).

Im only 29 and never really got into Led Zep but I respect what they did and I do like some of their songs. I didn't grow up when they were in their prime in the 70's, so I don't want to knock them when I dont know much about them and how huge they were (and they were HUGE). I would like to ask this:

Farmall: What do you like about U2? What songs? Tours? Ect... Im just trying to get an idea of what type of U2 fan you are? By that I mean, 80's, 90's, 00's, all of thier music, some of their music, experimental, classic or do you just think Adam is cool (because he is).

I'm all for giving someone a chance but when the majority of their post are bashing U2 then I take a bit of offense.
I WAS! around in the 70'. I have Led Zepps original albums (vinyls) and have seen them live. (with Jon Bonnan:drool:) I flash back in time when I hear their music the same way I do with U2. They are the epotime of rock and roll. So are U2. Do I expect them to be LZ - Hell no. They are not better or worse than each other, just different. With one exception, they both (made/make) phenomenal music. It is possible to love both. No one is asking anyone to choose here.:heart:

I agree with sue4u2. I'm one of the greatest U2 fans. When I was 18 and first sit back for The Best 0f 1980-1990 I was on fire!!! This is my band! And when I had a first chance to hear Stairway to heaven it set me on fire too. It has the same impact for me as U2 do. So I addes Led Zeppelin to my 2nd favorite band. But at the end U2 is and should be absolutely my favourites.

What a brilliant first post, farmall. You will be remembered here. Feel free to leave.

Back to the topic, I think this is outstanding for U2. They always had big fan base in Europe, but for this tour I was very sceptical having in mind economic crisis. Now it appears they could even match Vertigo second leg numbers with some additional dates.

They have already blown past Vertigo Europe numbers in terms of gross per show. Attendance may in fact come close or match Vertigo Europe numbers with just 23 shows, to Vertigo Europe's 32 do to the new stage set up which enlarges the capacity of each venue.

Plus, U2 360 will have a second leg in Europe unlike the Vertigo Tour.

Alright, perhaps I did not make myself clear. You were debating and comparing commercial success between U2 and Led Zeppelin and the influence that they have on the .com generation.

U2 simply outweigh most bands in terms of commercial success due to their longevity. It is hard to argue with. They have survived several transitions and eras of music including (is it 3) tours in the top ten highest grossing tours of all time at relatively cheap ticket prices compared to their contemporaries - does Led Zep? However, Led Zeppelin did define the 70's era which transitioned from disco to specifically guitar oriented rock. But do you really believe that Led Zeppelin is continually relevant in an age of Hip Hop and R'n'B. You must be kidding yourself.

Now in terms of Led Zeppelin being relevant to today's young generation. I will give you a straight answer. No. They are held in high regard as they are definitive rock - yet they are not the port of call or a necessity for most I know in the music scene. Being 21 I believe I am in this generation. U2 are seen as an aging band because they have never gone away and the taller you get the faster you are cut down. I play guitar myself (not guitar hero) and Led Zeppelin is definately a great band to develop your own style upon. But in modern day rock they are an influence and not the dominant being.

And you said rock has died? You simply have to look past the modern popular acts to see that it is still alive and kicking. Biffy Clyro, Lost Prophets, Trivium, Him and Avenged Sevenfold are there just to name a few.

And finally, do you have anything positive to say about the band?

All your posts thus far have been about bashing U2 and nothing else. There's a difference between being critical and being unfairly belligerent.

Farmall... please stop bashing the most successfull band of the last 3 decades combined.

And don't come back here if you don't have anything nice to say.

10.000 left for the record company, promotors, friends, families, press, auctions, radio station giveaways and last minute on-the-day sales to discourage the scalpers?

82.000 at Giants', 72.000 at Gillette.. Maybe only 90,000 to 95,000 tickets has been sold for Barcelona. Security reasons?

Vox

Are you a farmer? We have an old Farmall "M" on our farm. It was built sometime in the 50s. We don't use it much, but it still runs really good. They're good tractors. Just thought I'd ask if you had that username for a reason.

No everybody, I am not a hick.

To be honest, when I was in high school in 1997, no one talked about Led Zep (no one talks about them now either), I only heard them occasionally on classic rock stations. Like I said in a previous post, they WERE huge in the 70's but come on...today? Do you really think no one cares about U2? They won Grammies, sold millions of albums and sold out tours in the 80's, 90's and 00's (they didn't need to do a BS "reunion tour" or reunite after a 15-20 year hiatus to drum up interest). So, not one kid at your sons high school cares about U2 but they care about Led Zeppelin??? Do they also think the Model T Ford was the "Coolest" car ever..... :lol:

Farmall... please stop bashing the most successfull band of the last 3 decades combined.

And don't come back here if you don't have anything nice to say.

Actually, I want farmall to come back and tell us more about his son's guitar-playing abilities. That sounds fascinating.

i played guitar already at the age of 10, and i think U2 is better.

i'm a master debater, if you haven't noticed.

Back
Top Bottom