U2 Sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squire

The Fly
Check this site :

http://www.freewebs.com/whobettathentaker/favthings.htm

It seems Achtung Baby has sold 9.2 million copies in USA alone!! :)

Rattle & Hum has sold 6.2 million.

And The Joshua Tree has sold 11.8 million copies! :)

Although there are some things that are confusing me. I think it's a bit strange Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon only sold 15 million. Since i saw in a different site where it appears that Joshua Tree sold 10 million and DSOTM sold 15 million. So if JT in this site appears to have sold 12 million, it doesnt make sense DSOTM still have only sold 15 million, since it has bigger sales per year than JT.

Another thing is that it seems to miss what i saw in a different site to be the best selling album in USA: The Eagles's Greatest Hits have sold almost 30 million in USA but even though it doesnt appear in this list.

By the way the "other site" i was talking about is this : http://www.neosoul.com/riaa/

i have asked him a few questions in his guest book. Let's see if he replys.

Anyway i think it makes all sense AB has sold 9 million and JT 12 million.
But i'm sure there are people in here that know about these things more than i do. :)

:hmm: Could be right & I hope it is but the first site doesn't seem too accurate to me - eg. they have Oasis' Morning Glory at 7.9M & I'm sure that's wrong as it's still only certified 4xPlat & Soundscan had a figure of 3.5M at end of 2003...the 'other site' seems to be the more 'offical' version (i.e. same as Soundscan).

Right, I've just remembered...these sales from the 1st site are NOT sales for USA alone - they are the certifications from Soundscan in US + BPI in UK (added together)...so :

JT = 10M (10xPlat) in US + 1.8M (6xPlat) in UK = 11.8M
AB = 8M (8xPlat) in US + 1.2M (4xPlat) in UK = 9.2M
App. For Destruction = 15M (15xPlat) in US + 600K (2xPlat) in UK = 15.6M
Nevermind = 10M (10xPlat) + 600K (2xPlat) in UK = 10.6M
etc...

The lists & figures are taken from 4 (or 5?) separate books that were recently published to find the 100 best selling albums of each decade (1 book per decade) - but these ONLY included the certifications from US & UK (added together).

The info from the 2nd site are the 'official' certifications from Soundscan in US. However, this is now slightly out of date 'cos (in US) Thriller has just passed 27M & Back In Black 21M.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom