U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Boxscore Discussion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Also the Denver shows were sold by a different site than ticketmaster, and they may not have employed the same marketing techniques TM does to get rid of slow selling tickets.

I thought the 1st show sold out on the first day, and they added the second show due to OVERWHELMING DEMAND! If the first show sold out, that would mean less than 10,000 attended night 2, which was not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Wow pretty sad seeing some of these numbers

Old 07-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Wow pretty sad seeing some of these numbers
Sad? Anyone who thinks they were going to pull in attendance and gross numbers in the same league as U2360º needs to wake up. I think it's great that they're still able to sell a million tickets for 70 shows.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
The Fly

Wolf, I don't get it either.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Pollstar mid year numbers:

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Cha...ricanTours.pdf

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Cha...dwideTours.pdf
Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
New Yorker

Wow at the Stones avg ticket price (kind of BS but people are willing to pay so...)

Also, wow at Taylor Swift being able to command a ticket price that high.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #22
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Sad? Anyone who thinks they were going to pull in attendance and gross numbers in the same league as U2360º needs to wake up. I think it's great that they're still able to sell a million tickets for 70 shows.

Their numbers are great and the intent of the tour was not to smash records bit rather reconnect with their fans in a more personal setting(and of corse make money too )

When his tour wraps up(assuming it continues into next year) it will be in the top 10 easy and actually should be top 5, which would mean north of 300 million.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #23
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
June 6-7, 2015 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
SELLOUTS: 2
Hahaha what a joke these statistics can be sometimes.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Wow at the Stones avg ticket price (kind of BS but people are willing to pay so...)
I refused to pay that much for a decent floor seat and waited until the day before my local show to buy mine. I saw some fourth row seats come up at half the price of the original ticket and pounced on it. So great show at half the price!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour Boxscore Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep. They do that all the time if huge touring acts fail to sell out venues.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Actually, it would not be surprising given ticket demand on the Vertigo Tour as well as 360 tour. Just looking at North America specifically, the rapid sellouts of the Vertigo Tour in all arena's within an hour or two of going on sale suggest that if U2 had toured with 360 stages on Vertigo, the same sales levels would have been seen.

So demand for U2 tickets has been extremely high for nearly a decade in North America. Current demand on this tour is a fraction of what it was on Vertigo and 360. The Denver show on 360 sold 78,000 tickets. The two Vertigo Denver shows soldout rapidly in just a few hours, both shows. These were sellouts at full capacity of the arena venue.

By comparison, the SOI tour Denver shows at 28,200 are less than the total attendance at the single POPMART show in 1997 which was considered at the time to be a heavy disappointment for the band and promoter given U2's past history in Denver.

So the decline in at least the United States is shocking although thanks to playing arenas, the impact is masked from much of the public unlike POPMART where huge empty areas of stadiums were impossible to hide from the general public.

This shows that U2's popularity at least in the United States is very dependent on hit albums, hit songs, good radio airplay, and when the band don't get that, there is a huge drop off in attendance at concerts.

I think there were some in the band that thought they could continue in stadiums in even the United States, but Fogul wisely talk them down and made sure they were booked in arenas. As it turns out, even Fogul overestimated how much demand there would be as there was supposed to be 8 LA shows at the forum and the band were only able to fill 5, and those 5 were not complete sellouts of the total physical capacity available in the venue.

In the United States the band needs to go back to their ATYCLB/Elevation tour playbook as far as promoting album, songs, tour etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Their numbers are great and the intent of the tour was not to smash records bit rather reconnect with their fans in a more personal setting(and of corse make money too )

When his tour wraps up(assuming it continues into next year) it will be in the top 10 easy and actually should be top 5, which would mean north of 300 million.

The numbers relative to other artist are still great, but relative to what U2 had done on the past two tours in the United States, it is a disappointment.

If the band eventually gross $300 million worldwide on the I&E Tour, that will put the tour in the top 13, not top 5. There are currently 12 tours that have grossed $300 million or more worldwide on the all time list. U2 would need to gross north of $400 million to make the top 5 of the all time list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The LA shows at an average of 16,700 per night are not full sellouts in the physical sense either. But the promoter sets capacity whether its at 10,000 or 18,000 and if that capacity is sold, the concert is marked as a sellout.

Quote:
Yep. They do that all the time if huge touring acts fail to sell out venues.
All artist do this, and you can see below full physical capacity results marked as sellouts going all the way back to 1976, 40 years. Its standard industry practice.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Old 07-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #28
Acrobat

Interesting topic. Personally all the young people I know rarely seem to want to go to a concert, they much prefer big festivals with a variety of music. Although the IE concert in Vancouver had a wide variety of ages including a lot of teens and tweens.

I'm just wondering if things are changing just as the music industry is changing. I just recently rediscovered the joy of listening to a whole album in order. I've been listening to streaming services for years myself, so it seems like an easy link that festivals may be more popular. Or that may just be my own perception.

In any case, while I love U2 dearly and I do think most of their catalog has held up remarkably well, if nothing else the age of the band is going to play against them more and more. In my mind it doesn't have as much to do with the quality of their new music or whether or not they're played on the radio. I missed the 360 tour simply because life got in the way, school, family etc. It's only recently that I decided I don't have to be a responsible adult at all times and I can still fly to NY for some more concerts of the same tour. So to me it seems that the core group of fans from early on have simply grown up and the young people aren't into 50+y old guys for a two hour concert, but would rather go to a festival weekend.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Apple SOI giveaway was actually quite damaging to U2's public image. It seemed to be worse in the United States than anywhere else. The album never had a chance to perform at all, be it good or poorly, because the story and the SCANDAL overshadowed the music in the eyes of most people, reviewers and casual music listeners. While this has been discussed to death, it is the main reason behind the less than explosive ticket sales. Other factors are ticket prices, lack of current hits, age of the band/fans, the fact that many people probably saw enough of U2 between the 2001-2011 golden era of strong ticket demand. But none of those really matter compared to the Apple backlash.

In most cities on SOI, it took awhile for U2 to sell out the shows, but they did sell out. Compared to the Elevation/Vertigo tours, where most shows were sold out by lunchtime after a 10:00 onsale. I'm sure that Chicago 5 and LA 5 had some unsold seats sprinkled in there somewhere, but to stand in the arena and look around, the shows appeared to be sold out. The only city where that was not the case was Denver. I would've thought Denver to be a stronger market for U2 than Phoenix, yet Phoenix sold out both shows. If Elevation/Vertigo's figures are anything to go by, then both I&E Denver shows were 4,000 tickets short of a sellout. However, I thought the 1st show sold out the first day, and the 2nd shows was added to meet the "overwhelming demand". Demand was extremely overestimated in Los Angeles (only getting 5 out of 8 shows is a major disappointment), and they thought they could have done a 6th Chicago show. They probably could have added a 6th show on July 3rd and just dealt with a 3/4 full house, but the Grateful Dead concerts at Soldier Field probably put a stop to that anyway.

I really don't think the demand is there for a US stadium tour next year. However, I bet they can still pull out a 30-40 show arena tour for sure. Comparisons to Taylor Swift are not fair, as she is a current Pop sensation. Garth Brooks hasn't toured since 1998, and he went out on top, so obviously people (including myself) in the US have been waiting for this Comeback tour. The Rolling Stones are doing surprisingly well in their stadium tour of secondary US markets. Outside of the Stones, Taylor and Garth, I really can't think of many people who could draw more than 28,000 in Denver. I think the fact that these shows have been very good, and have been generating a lot of good news stories (Acrobat Tribute Band, for example), will help build demand for next year. Hopefully SOE is a good record that is released with little fanfare and NO backlash.

U2 are still a HUGE concert draw, but I believe we're in a LULL or RUT comparable to Popmart. And after Popmart came Elevation... it can happen again...
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #30
Acrobat

I'm sure the apple shitstorm didn't do them any favours, but it has been popular to hate U2 and especially Bono for years. If you google the most hated band U2 is right behind Nickelback. There are tons of people with very strong opinions and all the complaining hasn't hurt their ticket sales in the past. I'm not sure the lack of interest (relatively anyways) can be attributed to an image problem.

Tags
boxscore, experience, innocence, tour, u2