U2 360 TOUR: Sellouts, Attendance, other statistics - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
At least 1/4th of U2s total sales have came from Best Of/Greatest Hits albums of which AC/DC does not have any.
Incorrect, only 15% of U2's total album sales have come from Best Of/Greatest Hits albums. Greatest Hits albums often HURT the sales of the artist studio albums. Thats why AC/DC won't release a greatest hits album, because it would have a negative effect on overall sales.

Quote:
When Pop was released 12 years ago the total certified album sales for U2 were 72 million, this was before any Best Ofs were put out so that shows how much they helped U2s career in selling albums.
Incorrect, when POP was released in March 1997, U2's total album sales were already over 95 million worldwide. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby used to be normal catalog sellers back in the 1990s. There were some weeks when the Joshua Tree would sell as many as 15,000 copies a week back in the early 1990s. During the Elevation tour, the Joshua Tree at best could sell maybe a couple of thousand copies a week with the 1980-1990 Hits CD out in front with several times more. Today, the Joshua Tree can't even make the top 200 catalog chart, while the greatest hits CD's do just fine on there.

Essentially, the greatest hits CD's decreased the sales of U2's other studio albums from which they take songs.

Quote:
AC/DC has sold 200 million albums U2 hasnt made it there yet and may not ever make it there.
U2 has sold nearly 160 million albums worldwide, and would likely eventually surpass AC/DC if the music industry had not almost completely collapsed. The collapse of the music industry has essentially locked in the total career sales totals and positions because album sales are now so much slower today than they were just a few years earlier.

Quote:
I know AC/DC isnt too popular in this forum but I am stating facts. Do I think AC/DC is a better band then U2 no, bigger that would be arguable for me.
Your only taking selective "facts" and making inaccurate comparisons. You need the correct facts, and need to consider all the statistics. Album sales are just half of it! The other half is concert ticket sales, and you completely ignore that.

AC/DC does not have a single concert tour currently ranked in the top 15 tours of all time. U2 already has several. U2 will likely gross TWICE as much on U2 360 as AC/DC will on their Black Ice tour.

AC/DC is currently unable to sellout a SINGLE stadium show in the United States.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I dont know where you get your facts pal but U2 was not certified for 95 million in sales back in 1997 I want to see a source for that.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #63
War Child

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedeu2 View Post
Yes I have. Vodoo Lounge is the highest attended tour of the Stones (6,4 million) and U2 is set to break that record if as planned they play 100 dates on this tour. And the Stones do not attract now as many people to their concerts as they used to do. Last time they were in Argentina, it took several more days for them to sell out the shows as compared U2. And ticket pricing was about the same for both bands.

So, with this tour, U2 will finally dethrone the RS as biggest live act in the world.

Swallow that troll.
No, you obviously haven't. Because concert demand is measured in GROSS not attendance. And for ANYONE who studies the concert business, it's common knowledge that The Stones consistently outgross themselves with just about every tour they stage (with a few exceptions). And hence, once one views the stats, you'll see that U2 will NEVER become a larger concert draw than The Stones UNTIL either The Stones quit or die.

Swallow that, student. You're excused from class now...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #64
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyuk View Post
What a Idiot!

Awww, that's cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyuk View Post
...all these shows were completely sold out! the attendence is not going to be exactly 90,000 or whatever because cetain seats are not useable because of the stage set up and local laws stating the Max number of people allowed in the stadium.
Incorrect. Though a very nice excuse, however.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Long live Coldplay.
LOL!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #66
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Actually, because I can read is why I make that statement. Many of your posts in 360 tour forum stated that U2 could not sell out many dates in the US(Maoilbheannacht feel free to repost his predictions) You have made claims that they would draw roughly 28-31k in several stadiums this year, which if true would be roughly 50-60% capacity. So, by default when you say that U2 are going to play to 50% capacity on several dates in the US you are saying that they are not a huge draw. Your envy towards this band is very courious, just give in and go to one of their concerts, you'll love it!
I NEVER once said that U2 is not a huge concert draw. PERIOD.

Get your facts straight.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #67
War Child

Since I'm not going to answer Maloil's posts directly anymore, since he's a proven LIAR and MANIPULATOR...

...I will state that AC/DC have sold more albums than U2 in at least North America. And AC/DC is a larger concert draw than U2 is in Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Vancouver, Minneapolis and parts of the Midwestern US. And the reason why AC/DC haven't sold out the few stadiums shows that they scheduled in the US this summer, is because they've ALREADY played the NYC and Boston metro areas...and hence are returning to these markets again. This is called a return engagement. And it's common knowledge that when an artist returns to the same metro area on any given tour, they're going to draw less than their first stop there, unless demand hasn't been met.

Since the 80s, The Stones have staged FULL tours. And for example, they don't hit 15 or so markets in the UK/Europe and expect fans from nearby markets/countries to travel to see them live, in order to increase demand, like U2 now do. However, Madonna SOMETIMES does what U2 is now doing...

And finally, Maloil can repost the 3 or 4 markets that I incorrectly predicted for U2's 360 tour and boast all he wants...but he conveniently forgets that he stated a few years back that the ENTIRE Vertigo tour was heavily underbooked. And hence, the 360 tour and how it's strategically scheduled...PROVES that to be untrue, since, generally speaking, each U2 tour's (apart from Elevation & PopMart) concert demand increases and coincides with the percentage of inflation and overall album sales that has risen in between each tour...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #68
The Fly

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
Incorrect, only 15% of U2's total album sales have come from Best Of/Greatest Hits albums. Greatest Hits albums often HURT the sales of the artist studio albums. Thats why AC/DC won't release a greatest hits album, because it would have a negative effect on overall sales.

Incorrect, when POP was released in March 1997, U2's total album sales were already over 95 million worldwide. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby used to be normal catalog sellers back in the 1990s. There were some weeks when the Joshua Tree would sell as many as 15,000 copies a week back in the early 1990s. During the Elevation tour, the Joshua Tree at best could sell maybe a couple of thousand copies a week with the 1980-1990 Hits CD out in front with several times more. Today, the Joshua Tree can't even make the top 200 catalog chart, while the greatest hits CD's do just fine on there.

Essentially, the greatest hits CD's decreased the sales of U2's other studio albums from which they take songs.

U2 has sold nearly 160 million albums worldwide, and would likely eventually surpass AC/DC if the music industry had not almost completely collapsed. The collapse of the music industry has essentially locked in the total career sales totals and positions because album sales are now so much slower today than they were just a few years earlier.

Your only taking selective "facts" and making inaccurate comparisons. You need the correct facts, and need to consider all the statistics. Album sales are just half of it! The other half is concert ticket sales, and you completely ignore that.

AC/DC does not have a single concert tour currently ranked in the top 15 tours of all time. U2 already has several. U2 will likely gross TWICE as much on U2 360 as AC/DC will on their Black Ice tour.

AC/DC is currently unable to sellout a SINGLE stadium show in the United States.
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are talking about here. Where did you take yur infrmation about AC/DC being a bigger album seller than U2? Believe me, they haven't. They have sold nearly the same, but not more.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #69
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggio View Post
No, you obviously haven't. Because concert demand is measured in GROSS not attendance. And for ANYONE who studies the concert business, it's common knowledge that The Stones consistently outgross themselves with just about every tour they stage (with a few exceptions). And hence, once one views the stats, you'll see that U2 will NEVER become a larger concert draw than The Stones UNTIL either The Stones quit or die.

Swallow that, student. You're excused from class now...

So you want to talk about gross, ok, as others have already stated U2 360 will be the highest grossing tour in history. Period.
And as Maoil said, the only way for the Stones to outsold U2´s 360 tour is to announce a sort of retirement tour to increase demand. Otherwise, they should plan a tour with as many (or more) concerts as ZooTV or else charge outrageous money for their tickets. Oh wait, they always can copycat U2 and do their own 360 tour, right?. But that would be embarrasing, wouldn´t it?

Eitherway, I don´t think they would get away with it. They´re not as popular now as they used to be one or two decades ago.

I think you´d be better off quitting the music business, just like The Stones. I mean, how will they call their next tour? Geriatric Park?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #70
War Child

Quote:
So you want to talk about gross, ok, as others have already stated U2 360 will be the highest grossing tour in history. Period.
No it won't. Because when The Stones hit the road again in 2010, they'll break their own tour gross record, just like THEY ALWAYS DO.

In fact, the combination of overall album sales & inflation since the end of their record-breaking $558 million grossing, '05-'07 A Bigger Bang tour, pushes that total close to $650 million today...and will be roughly $700 million by the end of their next tour in 2011...

Quote:
And as Maoil said, the only way for the Stones to outsold U2´s 360 tour is to announce a sort of retirement tour to increase demand.
Wrong. The #s don't lie.

Quote:
They´re not as popular now as they used to be one or two decades ago.
LOL! You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #71
War Child

Quote:
No it won't. Because when The Stones hit the road again in 2010, they'll break their own tour gross record, just like THEY ALWAYS DO.

In fact, the combination of overall album sales & inflation since the end of their record-breaking $558 million grossing, '05-'07 A Bigger Bang tour, pushes that total close to $650 million today...and will be roughly $700 million by the end of their next tour in 2011...

Wrong. The #s don't lie.

LOL! You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you?
For some reason you take for granted the Stones will tour again in 2010. I haven´t seen any confirmation about this. Not even that they´re working on new material right now. And even if they will, they are going to have a very hard time to sell enough high priced tickets to gross more money than U2 360.

As for having a clue, I was not precisely the one that made that RIDICULOUS prediction about concert attendance on the US leg of U2 360.

Again, don´t embarass yourself any longer and stop making predictions.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #72
War Child

Quote:
For some reason you take for granted the Stones will tour again in 2010. I haven´t seen any confirmation about this. Not even that they´re working on new material right now.
You obviously still don't get it? And it doesn't matter if they even do tour again. They're a larger concert draw than U2 is.

Quote:
And even if they will, they are going to have a very hard time to sell enough high priced tickets to gross more money than U2 360.
LOL! You definitely haven't seen the stats.

Quote:
As for having a clue, I was not precisely the one that made that RIDICULOUS prediction about concert attendance on the US leg of U2 360.
Really? Because I was only wrong about 3 or 4 markets regarding the 360 tour. Whereas, Maloil claimed the ENTIRE Vertigo tour was heavily underbooked... How's that for ridiculous?

Quote:
Again, don´t embarass yourself any longer...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #73
War Child

Quote:
You obviously still don't get it? And it doesn't matter if they even do tour again. They're a larger concert draw than U2 is.
Says who? You?

Quote:
Really? Because I was only wrong about 3 or 4 markets regarding the 360 tour. Whereas, Maloil claimed the ENTIRE Vertigo tour was heavily underbooked... How's that for ridiculous?
Actually, those were 5 markets you´ve got all wrong. The rest? Even a four year old boy would have anticipated they would sell out or come very close to sell out. So, for the hard to predict cities, you failed miserably.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #74
War Child

Quote:
Says who? You?
Not just me...the FACTUAL STATISTICS, that's who.

Quote:
Actually, those were 5 markets you´ve got all wrong. The rest?
Really? Well, that sure beats being off by an ENTIRE tour.

Quote:
Even a four year old boy would have anticipated they would sell out or come very close to sell out. So, for the hard to predict cities, you failed miserably.
So a four year old boy has the intimate knowledge of the extensive statistical tour history of U2 tours enough to predict their concert grosses down to the nearest hundred-thousandth?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Can everyone just give it up, i dont care who is right or wrong, your all going to get this thread closed !