U2 360 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if your logic was correct, every show would be marked a sellout regardless of the tour was handled by a single promoter or multiple promoters. U2 has been handled by a single Promoter since 1997.

Regardless, of whether its one promoter or multiple promoters, if every show could be marked a sellout by simply stating that it was a sellout, they would be.

Then box scores would be useless for their original intent. I am sure most promotors can read between the li(n)es anyway.

By the way, is that you MOGGIO?:wink:

No, but this is yet another statement of yours that suggests you want to make this personal.

In 1975 when the Fleetwood Mac album was first released, they were relatively unknown. No Gold albums, and No albums that had ever sold enough to be in the top 30 before.

And within a year they were huge.

Really, well whats your source showing that they actually headlined a single show that year?

http://www.fmlegacy.com/Graphics/tickets/1976-06-18.jpg

It appears they were the headliner based on the placement of their name on the ticket stub. They also headlined Washington Park in Chicago, though not sure of the type of venue and it also appears they may have headlined Busch Stadium in St Louis.

Actually it was much smaller. The size of the music industry peaked in the year 2000. It was only in 1976 that the industry introduced an award for platinum, an not until 1984 that the multi-platinum album became common.

1977 was the biggest year of the pre-CD era. And hit albums sold far more units than they do now. I am sure there are plenty of multi-platinum albums released in 1976. The one that most immedietly comes to mind is the Boston debut.

Well, thats precisely what they would have been if they had broken up at the end of 1976.

Except it was followed by one of the biggest albums in History - which didn't happen in a vacuum as they already had one hit album that garnered them national fame.

All that but no boxoffice results and no real sources. Interesting.

No box office results is irrevelent to the fact that the shows took place.

The Fleetwood Mac Legacy

Ticket Stubs Listed by Year

http://www.sugarmegs.org/billgrahm.txt

KISS Alive Forever (it's a book)

Vindaloo - Aerosmith Setlist Guide
The Who Concert Guide 6.0: Home
You can scour the old issues of Billboard if you want box office results, you will probably even find more stadium shows that I didn't. However there conveniently appears to be a huge gap between Nov 1975 and Oct 1976.

I got news for ya, most tours by popular artist these days only use ONE promoter. But, again this has NOTHING to do with this claim of yours that any promoter at any time can simply declare a sellout. If that were the case, every show would be marked a sellout. What promoter would not mark a show as a sellout for the artist they were working for if in fact they could as you say? Whether there is one promoter or multiple promoters makes no difference.

6 different promotors on the first page of listings in the Sep 21 2009 issue of Pollstar. When you get to mid-range shows, that's where you're more likely to find many different promotors. But yes, thanks for mentioning that, the concert industry is a lot different now than when the trades first started publishing and even more different now than it was in 1997.

Check out these BELOW THE MASON DIXON LINE boxscores for U2 360:

September 29, 2009
Landover, Maryland
Fedex Field
GROSS: $6,718,315 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 84,754 (RECORD)
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $79.27

October 1, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
Scott Stadium
GROSS: $4,738,695
ATTENDANCE: 52,433
Average Ticket Price: $90.38

October 3, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Carter-Finely Stadium
GROSS: $4,962,240 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 55,027
Average Ticket Price: $90.18

October 6, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Georgia Dome
GROSS: $5,746,430 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 61,419 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $93.56

October 9, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Raymond James Stadium
GROSS: $6,399,375 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 72,688 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $88.04

October 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Cowboys Stadium
GROSS: $6,664,880 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 70,766 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $94.18

Every show set attendance and gross records for the venue played except for the Charlottesville show.

These are FANTASTIC numbers!

I have to admit, based on the PopMart tour, I was worried when U2 announced a stadium tour that would hit these cities. While PopMart was a great success in Boston, Chicago, New York, etc., it was this part of the country (and a few others) where the tour struggled. Therefore, to see 70K in Dallas, 72K in Atlanta, 52K in Charlotte, etc., is fantastic. It just shows how in demand U2 are. There is no denying it - the numbers show it. For the Rose Bowl to sell out is clearly the "cherry on top" - nearly 100,000 people is incredible, especially given the economy and the higher ticket costs. It shows that people are willing to spend on "smaller" purchases if they feel the product is worthwhile. If you've seen U2 on this tour, you know they are. This is my favorite tour since ZOO TV!

Then box scores would be useless for their original intent. I am sure most promotors can read between the li(n)es anyway.

Whatever, no promoter would bother to not list a show as not being soldout if it was just a matter of stating that it was.

No, but this is yet another statement of yours that suggests you want to make this personal.

I'm not the one who decided to use the word fanboy to obviously refer to other people posting in this thread.

And within a year they were huge.

If you think that having one hit album makes you "huge".

http://www.fmlegacy.com/Graphics/tickets/1976-06-18.jpg

It appears they were the headliner based on the placement of their name on the ticket stub. They also headlined Washington Park in Chicago, though not sure of the type of venue and it also appears they may have headlined Busch Stadium in St Louis.

LOL, yes, I'm sure everyone would consider that image to be indisputable evidence. To be a headliner at an annual festival is one thing, to be on your own stadium tour is another.

1977 was the biggest year of the pre-CD era.

Nope that was 1978.

# of Gold Albums in 1977: 183
# of Platinum albums in 1977: 68

# of Gold Albums in 1978: 193
# of Platinum Albums in 1978: 102

And hit albums sold far more units than they do now.

In 2009 yes, but thats because the vast majority of people obtain their music for free today. Try comparing any music year to the year 2000 and there is absolutely no comparison. Hundreds of albums were certified platinum in 2000. It is the highest sales year in the history of the industry, far ahead of anything from the 1970s.

No box office results is irrevelent to the fact that the shows took place.

The Fleetwood Mac Legacy

Ticket Stubs Listed by Year

http://www.sugarmegs.org/billgrahm.txt

KISS Alive Forever (it's a book)

Vindaloo - Aerosmith Setlist Guide
The Who Concert Guide 6.0: Home
You can scour the old issues of Billboard if you want box office results, you will probably even find more stadium shows that I didn't. However there conveniently appears to be a huge gap between Nov 1975 and Oct 1976.

The difference is, the reason I stated 12 shows was that was all that were listed in Billboard Magazine for 1976, including a one 6 month recap listing the top boxscores over the previous 6 months, which interestingly enough did not including most of the shows you have posted.

While its true many shows were not reported back then, Billboard Boxscore is a far more credible source than fan websites.

6 different promotors on the first page of listings in the Sep 21 2009 issue of Pollstar. When you get to mid-range shows, that's where you're more likely to find many different promotors. But yes, thanks for mentioning that, the concert industry is a lot different now than when the trades first started publishing and even more different now than it was in 1997.

The fact remains, if you can simply contact billboard and claim your artist soldout x show, then you should be able to yourself, since you claim that Billboard does not have anyway of checking or verifiying what is reported to Billboard Boxscore.

Uh, no.

My info came from people who were actually at the venues. I would think attendees have higher reliability than Billboard.

With all due respect to friends, colleagues, family members, "those in the business", etc., the only real numbers we can use are those produced by Billboard and SoundScan.

One could state how a movie sold out or had empty seats in their local theater and thus judge the success or failure correspondingly. But all that really matters are the final box office numbers. Analogously, all that matters are the final numbers reported, not hearsay.

And based on this data, U2 have sold out every show and sold over 1M copies of NLOTH in the U.S. Based on estimates, NLOTH has sold between 3.4 and 3.8M copies worldwide. That's all we can say.

I should add that the industry does check on itself. For example, a studio can't just claim their latest movie grossed $100M in North America last weekend if it grossed far less. This would be challenged by other studios (and then the books).

It does not behoove a studio or promoter to lie. For example, Sony, one year, posted quotes from critics praising their lastest movie. But it was discovered that NONE of those critics existed - it was a lie. And Sony had a lot of explaining to do.

Likewise, if U2's team just started posting fictitious numbers for their concerts, it would backfire.

And, as was stated, if it was so easy to report "sold out", why wouldn't every promoter do this? Clearly, there has to be a minimum requirement that must be met, based on the size of the venue and available seating. I've attended baseball games where the final attendance numbers varied - yet all the games were considered a sell-out. There is a minimum amount that must be sold. Other tickets could be standing room only or behind obstructed views, that normally aren't sold unless the demand is there. The same is true for a concert.

Uh, no.

My info came from people who were actually at the venues. I would think attendees have higher reliability than Billboard.

Guess what everyone, all concert attendees have a higher reliability than Billboard Boxscore.:wink: LOL

If that were the case, why would anyone ever bother to look at billboard boxscore. I mean, you can get the numbers from anyone that was at the show. LOL

I think there have been, plus you can search for that online now with Google Books. There are hundreds of back issues of Billboard Magazine online now that you can view. Just get a list of the concert tour your thinking about and then look up the coresponding months for Billboard Magazine and I think you should find some of them.

Some years are completely online now, others are not.

ok thanks for that info!

I wonder if 360 tour could surpass Stones Voodoo Lounge in tearms of attendance. It will have been the highest grossing tour of all time by the end of next year, no doubt about that, but I think that 6,5m tickets sold would be hard to top. Perhaps if U2 decided to do more than a hundred shows.
And to join a debate, when it comes to touring U2 and the Stones are in the league of their own. Bruce, Madonna and few others are close but not close enough.

Whatever, no promoter would bother to not list a show as not being soldout if it was just a matter of stating that it was.

Sure they would. Especially if they lost money on the show. If Springsteen only sold 79% of available tickets and grossed $1,050,000 that would be very useful information if he is asking a promotor in a similiar market for a 1,400,000 guarantee. Springsteen also always uses a full house configuration for arena shows so it would be more difficult to manipulate the numbers to make it appear a full house with production kills.

I'm not the one who decided to use the word fanboy to obviously refer to other people posting in this thread.

Actually it was an extreme generalization since this topic comes up a lot, all over. If anyone here takes offense then maybe they should first see if the term refers to them.

If you think that having one hit album makes you "huge".

Bee Gees, Guns N Roses, etc

LOL, yes, I'm sure everyone would consider that image to be indisputable evidence. To be a headliner at an annual festival is one thing, to be on your own stadium tour is another.

Who said "own stadium tour?" I pointed out that they did in fact headline at least one stadium show. The Eagles didn't do their own stadium tour either, it was scattered dates. In LA they did a few nights at the Forum.

Nope that was 1978.

# of Gold Albums in 1977: 183
# of Platinum albums in 1977: 68

# of Gold Albums in 1978: 193
# of Platinum Albums in 1978: 102
[/qote]

Whatever. Music was bigger in the 1970's. Not just sales but in it's place in pop culture. Sure it's anecdotal, but the artists were bigger, the concerts were bigger. Seems like it's often not more than background noise for people now. Which is probably what it deserves to be.

In 2009 yes, but thats because the vast majority of people obtain their music for free today. Try comparing any music year to the year 2000 and there is absolutely no comparison. Hundreds of albums were certified platinum in 2000. It is the highest sales year in the history of the industry, far ahead of anything from the 1970s.

I also don't think people care about music in 2009 as they did in 2000 or even the 1970's. Again, just anecdotal based upon my own perception.

The difference is, the reason I stated 12 shows was that was all that were listed in Billboard Magazine for 1976, including a one 6 month recap listing the top boxscores over the previous 6 months, which interestingly enough did not including most of the shows you have posted.

While its true many shows were not reported back then, Billboard Boxscore is a far more credible source than fan websites.

Not all shows are reported now either. But there is no doubt in my mind at least 95% of those shows occured. Many were probably taken from old issues of Circus Magazine or print ads that were published prior to showtime so some could be hold dates that never took place. I know KISS had shows at Comiskey Park and Colt Park that were cancelled by city councils in the weeks prior to showtime.

The fact remains, if you can simply contact billboard and claim your artist soldout x show, then you should be able to yourself, since you claim that Billboard does not have anyway of checking or verifiying what is reported to Billboard Boxscore.

I didn't say they didn't *have* any way. Out of up to 600+ shows a week, I doubt they are poring over contracts and ticket manifests for each and every show. The magazine industry is also in a death spiral. If Live Nation reports a show as 84,500 out of 84,500 I don't think they are going to dig around to see if 87,000 seats were really available.

If I had access to any of AEG or Live Nation's communications infrastructure (Fax, email etc) then maybe I would report a show.

Oh wait, lookey here, it's the Pollstar reporting form. Sounds like if an artist represtative reports the numbers then they confirm with promotor or venue. And they mention limited resources, yet unlike Billboard they are an entire magazine dedicated to the concert industry.

They don't even want internal documents.

" Internal documents and bulk reporting are strongly discouraged and extremely taxing on our limited resources."

PollstarPro: POLLSTAR Boxoffice Reporting Policies

PollstarPro: Boxoffice Report Form

As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I might be able to get some numbers in the magazine after all after I contact a non-reporting club booker I know... It would be Pollstar not Billboard but what the hell. Unless someone can direct me to a similiar form for Billboard.

Wait, I'm new to this thread, but what I'm gathering is that every show sold out?! :ohmy:

Sure they would. Especially if they lost money on the show. If Springsteen only sold 79% of available tickets and grossed $1,050,000 that would be very useful information if he is asking a promotor in a similiar market for a 1,400,000 guarantee. Springsteen also always uses a full house configuration for arena shows so it would be more difficult to manipulate the numbers to make it appear a full house with production kills.

Well, MOGGIO, know any promoters that have lost money on Springsteen in the past year or decade?

Again, there are shows by the SAME promoter showing that Springsteen soldout in one venue even though it was not the max capacity of the venue, while at the same time failed to sellout another venue by a few hundred tickets, even though the listed capacity of the venue was not the full capacity.

Actually it was an extreme generalization since this topic comes up a lot, all over. If anyone here takes offense then maybe they should first see if the term refers to them.

Well, MOGGIO, its a term you've used multiple times here in the UKMIX forum as well as all the way back in 2004-2005 when you went by the name NOCONTROL.

Bee Gees, Guns N Roses, etc

Wow, so your saying FleetWood Mac's selt titled album was their "Apetite for Destruction". I think thats the first time anyone has ever made that comparison. LOL.

Whatever. Music was bigger in the 1970's. Not just sales but in it's place in pop culture. Sure it's anecdotal, but the artists were bigger, the concerts were bigger. Seems like it's often not more than background noise for people now. Which is probably what it deserves to be.

Well, no it wasn't. By the late 1980s, the 1978 figure was easily surpassed. The number of new albums being certified Gold, Platinum or multi-platinum generally continued to increase year after year, with 2000's total album sales being far in excess than anything from the 1970s. On a Global scale the ratio between the 70s and 90s gets even larger. There are many third world countries where large numbers of albums are sold today, while virtually none were sold in those countries or territories back in the 1970s.

I didn't say they didn't *have* any way. Out of up to 600+ shows a week, I doubt they are poring over contracts and ticket manifests for each and every show. The magazine industry is also in a death spiral. If Live Nation reports a show as 84,500 out of 84,500 I don't think they are going to dig around to see if 87,000 seats were really available.

Yes, you did. Now were expecting you to report to Billboard Boxscore that you have soldout both the BC Place Stadium and General Motors Arena in Vancouver. Come on now MOGGIO, you can do it. We are looking forward to seeing your results in next weeks Billboard Boxscore.
:wink:

Remember, nothing is ever checked or audited, so it should be relatively easy for you to do this.

Guess what everyone, all concert attendees have a higher reliability than Billboard Boxscore.:wink: LOL

If that were the case, why would anyone ever bother to look at billboard boxscore. I mean, you can get the numbers from anyone that was at the show. LOL

Its well known that people that attend concerts dont lie. With that said,
please update the U2 attendance stats for this tour. I was at the Dallas show and there were well over 150,000 people there, really, I was there so I wouldnt lie. Also, I was at the Rose bowl and I would estimate that there were at minimum 450,000 people at that show, honest, I have an eye for counting people....better than any "official" 3rd party company that has nothing to gain from reporting concert attendance for U2 shows.

Did I mention that I have a bridge for sale in NY? Just send me $250 and you can have it.......

Really, so half the crowd was there for Fleetwood Mac even though they only had one hit album at the time? What is your source for this claim? Lady GaGa is "hot" right now, but she can't co-headline a stadium show with anyone.

LOL, the first time the Police ever came to the United States was on October 20, 1978. They were playing clubs at the time. They returned in the Spring of 1979 and played more clubs and some theaters. Then in the fall of 1979 they came to the United States for the second album and played all theaters. They returned in the fall of 1980 again to play theaters on the Zenyatta Mondatta tour. Their first arena show ever in the United States was in January 1981 at Madison square Garden. They also played an arena in St. Louis and one in Los Angeles then they were off to Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

For the Ghost in the Machine Tour, the band played arena's first in Europe in the fall of 1981. They then came to the United States in January of 1982 for the first full scale arena tour.

It was not until the release of the Synchronicity album in June of 1983 that the Police started to be booked in stadiums in the major cities. Synchronicity tour started on July 23, 1983 at Comisky Park in Chicago. They played other stadiums in North America during that summer including Hollywood Park in LA, Oakland Stadium in Oakland, The Big "O" in Montreal, CNE Stadium in Toronto, Holleder Stadium in Rochester New York, Shea Stadium in New York City, Sullivan Stadium near Boston MA, JFK Stadium in Philadelphia as well as multiple arena dates in many cities.

So there was not Police stadium tour in 1979-1980 in North America or anywhere else in the world. The band was still playing theaters at that time along with a few arena's in some markets in Europe.

every show set attendance and gross records for the venue played except for the Charlottesville show.

My mistake on the dates as things get a little fuzzy when you go back 26 years to my college days. Funny thing is I see the police in a stadium and U2 in a gym at about the same time...........
Thanks for getting the memory in order.....

:applaud:
As far as statistics for the tour I am enjoying banter on the $$ machine. I find it interesting folks are being bean counters for U2. I bet in their history of u2 book every tour will be shown as sold out....
Promoter is a Public Relations Person..... They never stretch the truth.

Does anyone really know that billboard or pollstar actually have accountants checking the books of promoters?
I liken it to the scence in Ray Charles where they are paying Ray from the nights performance in cash so he can buy his nightly fix.....
Is it safe to say that all of 2010 tour is sold out?

My mistake on the dates as things get a little fuzzy when you go back 26 years to my college days. Funny thing is I see the police in a stadium and U2 in a gym at about the same time...........

As far as statistics for the tour I am enjoying banter on the $$ machine. I find it interesting folks are being bean counters for U2. I bet in their history of u2 book every tour will be shown as sold out....

Does anyone really know that billboard or pollstar actually have accountants checking the books of promoters?
I liken it to the scence in Ray Charles where they are paying Ray from the nights performance in cash so he can buy his nightly fix.....

You are in a U2 forum dedicated to sales and you find it interesting that there is "banter on the $$ machine"...lol lol Know where you are before you post such foolish comments.

Also, Im not sure what your point is about the fact that during the early 80's U2 were playing small shows in the US while the Police were doing stadiums....guess what:

In the late 80's u2 were doing stadiums (around the world)
In the early 90's U2 were doing stadiums (around the world)
In the late 90's U2 were doing stadiums (around the world)
In the late 2000's U2 are doing stadiums (around the world)

Lastly, as Maoilbheannacht has pointed out over and over, if there was some "cover up" about concert reporting, wouldn't every show by every artist be reported as sold out?? Yet, AC/DC fail to sell out small arena's, the Boss failed to sell out a Giants Stadium show (still an amazing run for him in NJ but where is the PR machine to "cover up" the non-sellout) and countless other artists dont sell out. U2's average attendance on this tour is 68k a night and you feel that these "sell outs" are just PR..... @ 68k a night on average. Name one artists in HISTORY who has a higher average attendance per show on a world tour? Just one! :wave:

Why are you so focused on U2 and the word "sellout" when every single artist in the industry goes by the same system?

Perhaps MOGGIO has two new accounts at interference.:wink:

Oh my, MOGGIO indeed does have two new accounts now, check at these qoutes of badu2fan:

U2 has a great live reputation but they are not able to tour and sell out markets all over country or they would be doing more cities then what they have announced.

As we have seen they have manipulated the tickets sold and capacity this leg of tour to create the feel that tickets are hard to get etc.... (every show sold out) LOL>> I wish I had bean counters like that

They are making fans travel hundreds of miles to see a show. So beside cost of ticket you have gas hotel food etc. What if next summer gas is 4 bucks a gallon.

MOGGIO stopped posting at the end of August, early September, right around the time that badu2fan's post numbers suddenly rise from 28 to the current 121! :wink:

All the posts are the same general tone, subject matters, and vocabulary that MOGGIO is known for. :wink:

MOGGIO is the poster who predicted U2 would only play to 28,000 people in Dallas and would gross just $1.8 million.

MOGGIO, I got a little news for ya:

October 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Cowboys Stadium
GROSS: $6,664,880 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 70,766 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $94.18

The gross is nearly 4 times what MOGGIO predicted. Attendance is 2.5 times what MOGGIO predicted.

We have no reason to believe that MOGGIO is posting under another username so please stop inferring that he is posting under other usernames.

Thanks.

You do realize that just because the IP address is different, it does not mean its a different person.

This is just my opinion based on the type of posts that are being made as well as the language that is used, which is consistently negative towards U2.

You do realize that just because the IP address is different, it does not mean its a different person.

This is just my opinion based on the type of posts that are being made as well as the language that is used, which is consistently negative towards U2.

FYI, if you look around the forum you'll see that there are quite a few people that are consistently negative towards U2.

In case you didn't know, there are other ways of determining alters. :hmm:

Last edited:
Lastly, as Maoilbheannacht has pointed out over and over, if there was some "cover up" about concert reporting, wouldn't every show by every artist be reported as sold out?? Yet, AC/DC fail to sell out small arena's, the Boss failed to sell out a Giants Stadium show (still an amazing run for him in NJ but where is the PR machine to "cover up" the non-sellout) and countless other artists dont sell out. U2's average attendance on this tour is 68k a night and you feel that these "sell outs" are just PR..... @ 68k a night on average. Name one artists in HISTORY who has a higher average attendance per show on a world tour? Just one! :wave:

Actually only 1 Springsteen show was really sold out from what I understand. Still impressive for sure.

Well, Maoilbheannacht is no longer worth engaging since he seems to insist I am someone I am not. He wants to argue with phantoms. Dude seems to have serious mental problems that really have nothing to do with the posts I am making. I stopped scrolling thruhis posts when I realized he wasn't even talking to me. Not that I have ever posted anything negative about U2 in this board. You can go on believing whatever you want to believe.

However I am working on getting some numbers in Pollstar Magazine. It has to be Pollstar since I can't find any easy online forms to put them in Billboard. If someone wants to direct me to the proper place to get numbers published in Billboard I will attempt to report a sold out show there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom