U2 360 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the ticket price average. Sure wish it hadn't double in 12 years. Beleive that is more then inflation has risen and with economic crisis taking peoples homes it would be nice for someone to lower prices instead of raising them...
You mean like U2's $30 tickets?

And there's no way in hell U2 is going to double that $57 average ticket price. The Norman show is probably going to have one of the lowest average's on the tour this year.

You mean like U2's $30 tickets?

And there's no way in hell U2 is going to double that $57 average ticket price. The Norman show is probably going to have one of the lowest average's on the tour this year.

$30 ticket to sit behind the stage or the last 4 rows a top the stadium. Stones must have a cheap ticket for average to be $57.

Boss charges flat price for all tickets.... Not like bono saying we would insult our rich fans if we didnt have expensive tickets,.......

:drool:

$30 ticket to sit behind the stage or the last 4 rows a top the stadium. Stones must have a cheap ticket for average to be $57.

Boss charges flat price for all tickets.... Not like bono saying we would insult our rich fans if we didnt have expensive tickets,.......

:drool:

There is no "behind" the stage on this tour.

And aren't GA tickets cheap too? Like $45 or something? So one could be really close for a low cost.

Back in '97, the Bee Gees were charging over $100 for their shows (that is, $100 was the lowest price). U2 may have expensive tickets, but I'm sure some of that is dictated by the arena/stadium (rememeber, everyone has their hand out) as well as the costs of the tour. However, they have always made less expensive tickets available. If the goal is simply to see U2, but money is tight, then U2 have the option of a low-cost ticket. If the goal is to sit close with a great seat, then it will cost more, as it does at every show or sporting event.

I don't know what Springsteen is charging, but if he really has a low flat rate for all tickets, then he is really unique. I've seen pricing structures where U2's highest priced ticket is often the lowest or medium price for other artists (like Madonna).

There is no "behind" the stage on this tour.

And aren't GA tickets cheap too? Like $45 or something? So one could be really close for a low cost.

Back in '97, the Bee Gees were charging over $100 for their shows (that is, $100 was the lowest price). U2 may have expensive tickets, but I'm sure some of that is dictated by the arena/stadium (rememeber, everyone has their hand out) as well as the costs of the tour. However, they have always made less expensive tickets available. If the goal is simply to see U2, but money is tight, then U2 have the option of a low-cost ticket. If the goal is to sit close with a great seat, then it will cost more, as it does at every show or sporting event.

I don't know what Springsteen is charging, but if he really has a low flat rate for all tickets, then he is really unique. I've seen pricing structures where U2's highest priced ticket is often the lowest or medium price for other artists (like Madonna).

I'm not sure what Springsteen charges for seated tickets during his current tour but I'm paying over $110 a ticket (with fees) for Friday's show at Giants Stadium for standing GAs. That's about double what I paid for U2 GAs at the same venue and the argument can be safely made that U2 put a lot more $$$ into staging and production.

I don't believe that Springsteen is charging more than U2. The average ticket price so far is around $89,64, so that's a bit (14%) lower than U2 (avergae = $104,18).
But the production costs of Springsteen are way lower than U2's costs!

But Springsteen and E-street are double in size compared to U2, so the profit has to be shared with more people...

By the way, U2 is charging on average $20 (24%) more for a ticket compared to 2005, Vertigo (average ~$84,20).

:nerd:

Slow week in the concert world.

1 Alice Cooper Harrah’s Horseshoe Southern Indiana
Elizabeth, Ind.
July 31, 2009
$146,160
3,564 / 3,600
1 / 0
$75, $25
C3 Presents/Harrah’s

:wink:

No u2 this week. Top boxscore is

Coldplay/Elbow/White Lies
Phoenix Park Dublin Ireland
Sept 14, 2009
$3,507,501
34,372/35,000
$102.05
MCD

I don't believe that Springsteen is charging more than U2. The average ticket price so far is around $89,64, so that's a bit (14%) lower than U2 (avergae = $104,18).
But the production costs of Springsteen are way lower than U2's costs!

But Springsteen and E-street are double in size compared to U2, so the profit has to be shared with more people...

By the way, U2 is charging on average $20 (24%) more for a ticket compared to 2005, Vertigo (average ~$84,20).

:nerd:

Despite U2's production cost being higher, they are playing to many more people, so although the average ticket prices are not that far apart, the number of people that U2 are playing to per show is way ahead of Springsteen. Most of Springsteen's shows are in arena's and gross about $1.5 million, while all of U2's shows are in stadiums grossing an average of nearly $7.5 million per show.

Even if the entire 360 tour cost $300 million dollars if you count everything except what the band get paid, that still leaves them with a $400 to $500 million dollar profit on a tour that grosses over $700 million dollars. This does not include merchandise and album sales either.

The real difference between Springsteen and U2 is that Springsteen couldn't afford to mount a tour that cost $300 million dollars. He would either lose money or barely break even. U2 on the other hand will walk away with a profit of nearly half a Billion dollars.

No u2 this week. Top boxscore is

Coldplay/Elbow/White Lies
Phoenix Park Dublin Ireland
Sept 14, 2009
$3,507,501
34,372/35,000
$102.05
MCD

Wow did MCD buy up some of those Coldplay tickets before the concert or something? Can't believe they nearly got a sell out :lol:

An article in the St Petersburg Times said there will be 70,000 at Tampa. The capacity of the stadium is 65,647 so that is awesome to hear!

An article in the St Petersburg Times said there will be 70,000 at Tampa. The capacity of the stadium is 65,647 so that is awesome to hear!

The Led Zeppelin show that I reported held the record, did hold the record at one time, back in 1973. But the total in attendance was 57,000 which at the time was a record for all of North America. Led Zeppelin broke that record in 1977 when the played to 76,000 at the Pontiac Silver Dome in Michigan.

Just for Tampa though, the record is likely U2's Joshua Tree show which had nearly 59,000 in attendance. So attendance of 70,000 would definitely set the record for Tampa. To set the record for all of Florida they need to sell at least 73,500. Springsteen played two shows at 73,000 each in Miami on the Born In The USA tour in 1985.

Could someone with access look up the numbers for Coldplay for Goffert Park, Nijmegen, The Netherlands please? 2 Nights, I think 9 & 10 September this year. Dutch media reported they attracted more people than U2 in the Amsterdam Arena. Theoretically that would be possible in Goffert Park, but since they kept mentioning 'almost 60.000', I don't think so.

August 14-15, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Wembley Stadium
GROSS: $20,680,860
ATTENDANCE: 164,244
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $125.92

September 12-13, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $13,860,480 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 135,872 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $102.01

September 16-17, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Rogers Centre
GROSS: $9,571,672
ATTENDANCE: 115,411
Average Ticket Price: $82.94

September 20-21, 2009
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Gillette Stadium
GROSS: $12,859,778 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 138,805 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $92.65

September 23-24, 2009
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $16,128,950
ATTENDANCE: 161,810
Average Ticket Price: $99.68

Did MJs 7 nights at the old Wembley Stadium beat U2's 360 gross(adjusted for inflation)? Who else is close in gross for a london stand aside from Prince's O2 run or MJs scheduled O2 run?

How close were Foo Fighters vs. U2, since both played a pair of 360 stadium shows. FF getting a boost because of some rumoured guests for the 2nd night.

Was Bruce's Chicago single day attendance of 71k left untouched by 360? 135k cut in half is 68k, but judging by the Giants announcements one night can have 3-4k more the other and still be called "sellouts".

Is Toronto not a record? Didn't Pink Floyd do a triple nighter at the old CNE stadium in 94? I take it that Sarstock can't count - can't remember if other acts were announced when tix went onsale.

Just curious how the Gillette combined attendance of 138k compares to all Boston area visits within the last couple U2 tours and Bigger Bang(3 visists on the same out).

On July 20 1996 the 3 Tenors grossed $14mil with 58,000 in attendance at Giants Stadium. I think this exceeds U2s 2009 combined grossof $16m when adjusted for inflation.

With 1/3rd the number of tickets sold. Roughly $300/ticket average.

What did Bono say about breaking every venue record on the second night?

Last edited:
Did MJs 7 nights at the old Wembley Stadium beat U2's 360 gross(adjusted for inflation)? Who else is close in gross for a london stand aside from Prince's O2 run or MJs scheduled O2 run?

If MJ was charging $20 dollars a ticket back in 1987, it would not be the gross record even when adjusted for inflation. The O2 runs are irrelevant because they are not done in the context of a full scale tour, so the run benefits from people around the world going to the show. In addition, the individual shows are smaller and easier to sellout forcing other fans to buy tickets to other shows on different nights. Number of shows is a factor to, as the more shows you offer in a single market over a period of time, the more people you can attract who would not be able to go to a couple of stadium shows because of the week or month in which they happen.

How close were Foo Fighters vs. U2, since both played a pair of 360 stadium shows. FF getting a boost because of some rumoured guests for the 2nd night.

I've not seen a boxscore so I don't know. I don't think the Foo Fighters played any other shows though in the UK or Ireland unlike U2.

Was Bruce's Chicago single day attendance of 71k left untouched by 360? 135k cut in half is 68k, but judging by the Giants announcements one night can have 3-4k more the other and still be called "sellouts".

Probably not, but will never know for sure unless there is an official boxoffice breakdown of attendance for each individual show.

Is Toronto not a record? Didn't Pink Floyd do a triple nighter at the old CNE stadium in 94? I take it that Sarstock can't count - can't remember if other acts were announced when tix went onsale.

Both Pink Floyd and the Stones have done 3 or more shows in Toronto on a single tour. 360 is not a record for the Toronto area. But the question would be is it a record for the Rogers Center? Sarsstock is of course a festival and would never count.

Just curious how the Gillette combined attendance of 138k compares to all Boston area visits within the last couple U2 tours and Bigger Bang(3 visists on the same out).

U2 did not do more than 7 arena shows in Boston on each of the last two tours, with total attendance for all 7 shows around 120,000.

The Rolling Stones did 5 shows in Boston on the A Bigger Bang Tour:

August 21, 23, 2005
Boston, Massachusetts
Fenway Park
GROSS: $10,686,758
ATTENDANCE: 70,428
Average Ticket Price: $151.74

January 13, 15, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
TD Banknorth Garden
GROSS: $4,990,074
ATTENDANCE: 25,147
Average Ticket Price: $198.44

September 20, 2006
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Gillette Stadium
GROSS: $4,042,193
ATTENDANCE: 44,115(capacity: 45,285)
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $91.63

On July 20 1996 the 3 Tenors grossed $14mil with 58,000 in attendance at Giants Stadium. I think this exceeds U2s 2009 combined grossof $16m when adjusted for inflation.

With 1/3rd the number of tickets sold. Roughly $300/ticket average.

What did Bono say about breaking every venue record on the second night?

Bono was told and told correct that they had broken the attendance record on the 2nd night with over 84,000 people at the stadium. Largest crowd every at Giants Stadium. He never said they had broken every venue record on the second night.

Bruce Springsteen holds most of the other venue records.

If MJ was charging $20 dollars a ticket back in 1987, it would not be the gross record even when adjusted for inflation. The O2 runs are irrelevant because they are not done in the context of a full scale tour, so the run benefits from people around the world going to the show. In addition, the individual shows are smaller and easier to sellout forcing other fans to buy tickets to other shows on different nights. Number of shows is a factor to, as the more shows you offer in a single market over a period of time, the more people you can attract who would not be able to go to a couple of stadium shows because of the week or month in which they happen.

Spice Girls did 17 O2 shows on a "world" tour.

Prince must have done over a million/night on his 21 nights. He had played Europe in the years before.

Couldn't find a boxscore for MJ Wembley 1988. But found a stub for 17.50 pounds, and it was attended by 504,000. During a world tour. Adjusted for inflation I think it's got U2 beat.

Foo Fighters and Rod each did 83,000 at Wembely in one night. Apparently U2 did 88,000 one night. However, if FF did 83k both nights, they would have the NEW Wembley record. u2 did 164k on 2 nights. 83k times two is 166k. FF tours Europe and worldwide all the time.

BTW, Toronto must be an gross record. I think a single 360 night beat out the gross of the 3 Tenors show.

Would Bruce's 1984 run at Rosemont Horizon(x3) plus his Soldier Field show be more than 360's 135k in Chicago?

Spice Girls did 17 O2 shows on a "world" tour.

Did they play anywhere else in the UK besides the O2? Did they play Ireland? Its easier to fill 17 different shows in a venue that only holds 20,000 than it is to fill a 90,000 seat stadium twice.

Prince must have done over a million/night on his 21 nights.

But thats not like filling Wembley stadium over two nights. Again, its easier to play a long string of shows in a venue with a relatively small capacity.

Couldn't find a boxscore for MJ Wembley 1988. But found a stub for 17.50 pounds, and it was attended by 504,000. During a world tour. Adjusted for inflation I think it's got U2 beat.

1. Only the nominal gross, gross unadjusted for inflation, is used when determining the record.

2. The first important point to remember is the exchange rate at the time, and then adjust for inflation. I've not found the exchange rate for the summer of 1987, but did find this: Sterling fell sharply after 1980 At its lowest, the pound stood at just $1.05 in February 1985, before returning to the US$1.7 level in December 1989.

It appears 1987 might have seen the pound at one of its weaker points.

So its far from clear which series of shows has the higher gross after you adjust for inflation. Another thing to consider is that by 2009, massive numbers of people in London had already seen U2 on previous tours, while in 1987, no one had ever seen Michael Jackson as a solo act, and only a small number had seen him with the Jacksons. Despite all that, it appears that Michael Jackson's 7 night stand is roughly similar to U2's two night stand in gross, once you adjust for inflation.

Foo Fighters and Rod each did 83,000 at Wembely in one night. Apparently U2 did 88,000 one night. However, if FF did 83k both nights, they would have the NEW Wembley record. u2 did 164k on 2 nights. 83k times two is 166k. FF tours Europe and worldwide all the time.

I know Foo Fighters tours Europe and worldwide all the time. The important question is did they play anywhere else in the UK/Ireland when they did their Wembley shows?

Would Bruce's 1984 run at Rosemont Horizon(x3) plus his Soldier Field show be more than 360's 135k in Chicago?

71,222 + 54,000 = 125,222. So the answer is, no.

Did they play anywhere else in the UK besides the O2? Did they play Ireland? Its easier to fill 17 different shows in a venue that only holds 20,000 than it is to fill a 90,000 seat stadium twice.

But thats not like filling Wembley stadium over two nights. Again, its easier to play a long string of shows in a venue with a relatively small capacity.

Spice Girls played London(17), Manchester(3), Cologne(1) and Madrid(1).

The first 3 nights at O2 grossed $33m, compared to U2 grossing 20 in 2 nights. They had high prices...

Now I wonder if Spice Girls 20 UK shows beat MJs 50 O2 shows if played. SG were pricey and MJ kept nealry all ticket relatively inexpensive.

1. Only the nominal gross, gross unadjusted for inflation, is used when determining the record.

2. The first important point to remember is the exchange rate at the time, and then adjust for inflation. I've not found the exchange rate for the summer of 1987, but did find this: Sterling fell sharply after 1980 At its lowest, the pound stood at just $1.05 in February 1985, before returning to the US$1.7 level in December 1989.

So its far from clear which series of shows has the higher gross after you adjust for inflation. Another thing to consider is that by 2009, massive numbers of people in London had already seen U2 on previous tours, while in 1987, no one had ever seen Michael Jackson as a solo act, and only a small number had seen him with the Jacksons. Despite all that, it appears that Michael Jackson's 7 night stand is roughly similar to U2's two night stand in gross, once you adjust for inflation.

I'm sure there is at least 4 ways of calculating the difference.

Basically U2's record is $20m, and if 500k tix were sold it would be about $40 each for MJ to tie 360. 17.50 pounds in 1988 should be around $40 in 2009.

I know Foo Fighters tours Europe and worldwide all the time. The important question is did they play anywhere else in the UK/Ireland when they did their Wembley shows?

By that logic Euro Lovetown should be discounted because it skipped the UK, or the Mexican Vertigo dates don't count because it was the only stadium shows on the continent in almost a decade.

Looks like the total attendance record for the new Wembley might be held by TAKE THATs 4 shows in 2009. Oasis did 3 this year which may be around U2s 2009 mark.

Spice Girls played London(17), Manchester(3), Cologne(1) and Madrid(1).

The first 3 nights at O2 grossed $33m, compared to U2 grossing 20 in 2 nights. They had high prices...

Now I wonder if Spice Girls 20 UK shows beat MJs 50 O2 shows if played. SG were pricey and MJ kept nealry all ticket relatively inexpensive.

Of course, the Spice Girls tour was a re-union tour and possibly the last time they would do shows which could inflate demand. At the same time, the time away can sometimes hurt as well, even if the re-union is seen as the final tour.

I'm sure there is at least 4 ways of calculating the difference.

Basically U2's record is $20m, and if 500k tix were sold it would be about $40 each for MJ to tie 360. 17.50 pounds in 1988 should be around $40 in 2009.

You can't know that unless you know what the exchange rate was in the summer of 1988 when the shows happened. Based on the known exchange rate in February 1985 representing a low point for the pound, and the December 1989 rate representing the highest rate since February 1985, based on inflation to 2009, the inflation adjusted cost of the Michael Jackson concerts would be anywhere between $34.38 and $55.67. But, until you know the exchange rate during the concerts, you can't make any determination.

By that logic Euro Lovetown should be discounted because it skipped the UK, or the Mexican Vertigo dates don't count because it was the only stadium shows on the continent in almost a decade.

1. Lovetown is generally considered to be apart of the Joshua Tree tour despite the fact that it came after Rattle And Hum and had a new name. Part of the reason U2 played shows in Europe on Love Town was because of the degree to which they underplayed Europe in 1987.

2. The UK or UK/Ireland is generally considered to be one market.
Whether or not a band played shows in the rest of the UK is far more significant and makes a bigger impact on any London show, than whether they played shows on mainland Europe.

3. What does Mexico Vertigo Stadium shows have to do whether Foo Fighters played other towns in the UK besides London?!

Also, here is something about the highest attended non-festival ticketed show in the United States as of 1973 and then as of 1977:

At Tampa Stadium, Florida, they played to 56,800 fans (breaking the record set by The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965), and grossed $309,000.[

Led Zeppelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1977, Led Zeppelin embarked on another major concert tour of North America. Here the band set another attendance record, with 76,229 people attending their Pontiac Silverdome concert on 30 April.[73] It was, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest attendance to date for a single act show.[

So it appears that the Beatles got the attendance record in 1965 with their Shea Stadium performance, which was topped by Led Zeppelin in 1973 in Tampa, then Led Zeppelin topped their own record in 1977, and finally THE WHO broke that record on September 25, 1982 with 91,451 people in attendance at their show at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia which remains the non-festival ticketed concert record to date in the United States, but will probably be broken soon by a U2 360 tour date.

3. What does Mexico Vertigo Stadium shows have to do whether Foo Fighters played other towns in the UK besides London?!

You say the U2s 1987-1990 is generally one tour, but when Foo Fighters do a "victory lap" show in London soon after previous tours it's a "one-off" that doesn't count. That said, London is the toughest market for u2 to break records beyond having 88k for show in a stadium. What the single act record for Knebworth? Do you have the TAKE THAT wembley(x4) numbers for July 2009?

Just to pinpoint what I'm after, I'm curious of venues where U2 360 did NOT break attendance/gross records for a single night or for a 2-3 night stand in a comparable situation.
-Bruce sold 72k at Soldier Field and U2 were likely a couple thousand away from that on either night.
-Croke Vertigo was slighly more than Croke 360
-Madonna grossing $12m at Wembley and U2 did $10 per show. I think Spice Girls did 11m at O2.
-DC 360 may or may not have beaten the WHO record from 1982.
-LA 360 more than DC 360?
-Giants 360 is not the single show gross record.
-FF 2 New Wembley shows may have been attended by more than 2 new Wembley shows on 360.

Also, here is something about the highest attended non-festival ticketed show in the United States as of 1973 and then as of 1977:

At Tampa Stadium, Florida, they played to 56,800 fans (breaking the record set by The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965), and grossed $309,000.[

In 1977, Led Zeppelin embarked on another major concert tour of North America. Here the band set another attendance record, with 76,229 people attending their Pontiac Silverdome concert on 30 April.[73] It was, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest attendance to date for a single act show.[

So it appears that the Beatles got the attendance record in 1965 with their Shea Stadium performance, which was topped by Led Zeppelin in 1973 in Tampa, then Led Zeppelin topped their own record in 1977, and finally THE WHO broke that record on September 25, 1982 with 91,451 people in attendance at their show at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia which remains the non-festival ticketed concert record to date in the United States, but will probably be broken soon by a U2 360 tour date.

I think Grand Funk Railroad claims to have broken the shea record in 72ish.

Do you think DC or LA are the only realistic options for U2 to set a US attendance record?

71,222 + 54,000 = 125,222. So the answer is, no.

Well, in response to MJ playing Wembley Stadium, he was able to sell out the stadium 5 times during the Dangerous Tour, and then 3 times during the HIStory Tour...and he also played other UK dates during those tours. So although the attendance figures for his Wembley shows might have been affected by it being his first visit, that does not count for his other two tours.

September 23-24, 2009
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $16,128,950
ATTENDANCE: 161,810
Average Ticket Price: $99.68

How many do you think got their money back with the date switch? Anyone who bought extra tickets could get their money back rather than taking a small loss.

Would the "walk-up" be higher than the "walk-away"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom