u2 360 Boxscore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The above link was u2.com and was picked up by some media outlets. The official Giants average puts them below the Pope....

All the attendance figures I've seen for any night in Mexico have varied by 10,000+. Comparing past "records" by MJ, Jaguares, 3 Tenors(single night gross record?) and Elton will take some time.

How will U2 single night attendance supposedly cap out around 115k while some outlets have made this claim:
"On 20 February 1993 Julio César Chávez fought Greg Haugen in front of 132,247 spectators."

Again, stick with the authority, Billboard Boxscore. Random attendance figures posted on various websites and news papers is inaccurate standard to be using for assessing who has a particular record. You need some form of consistent accuracy which is currently only provided by Billboard Boxscore.

Finally, were discussing music, not boxing or some other event. Obviously a boxing event could potentially get an overall venue record do to the tiny stage area relative to a music show.

1. Pictures look essentially the same.

2. Pictures certainly cannot be used to prove or disprove alleged attendance levels especially since its unknown at what point the pictures were taken.

3. Well, if the Jackson 5 played Mexico in 1975, what is the date or dates for the shows and what venue did they play in?

The photos show that any single night MJ figure over 75 is very unlikely given the configuration.

The jackson5abc.com site has the closest to a full itinerary I can find for that era.

05/09/1974 - 01/10/1974 South American Tour Panama, Venezuela, Brazil
04 - 06/10/1974 Lake Tahoe, Nevada Sahara Tahoe Hotel (3 shows)
07/10/1974 - 01/11/1974 Far East Tour Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines
03/11/1974 Oakland, California Coliseum
20/11 - 03/12/1974 Las Vegas, Nevada MGM Grand Hotel
01/1975 West Indies Tour
07/02/1975 New York, Radio City Music Hall
08/03/1975 Kingstone (Jamaica), National Stadium
Opening act of Bob Marley & the Wailers
11/06/1975 Chicago, Chicago Stadium
06/07/1975 Westbury, Music Fair
01/09/1975 Mount Vernon, Memorial Stadium
12/1975 - Mexico

Again, stick with the authority, Billboard Boxscore. Random attendance figures posted on various websites and news papers is inaccurate standard to be using for assessing who has a particular record. You need some form of consistent accuracy which is currently only provided by Billboard Boxscore.

Finally, were discussing music, not boxing or some other event. Obviously a boxing event could potentially get an overall venue record do to the tiny stage area relative to a music show.

How could a boxing event do a full 20,000-30,000 more than a u2's show when only a couple thousand possible seats are taken up by the Claw?

If the billboard bxscore is less than 312,000, should u2 fans not give the band the single night concert record for Mexico?

-With 2-3 weeks notice, some fans coule not make the rescheduled show because of travel/family/work planning and were allowed to return tickets. Not all of these tickets were resold and LN counted it as a sell out anyways, despite it being against Billboard rules. Billboard has fudged rules in the past for Eagles and Mariah.

Obviously in events where a show is rescheduled, and the tickets are returned, they do not automatically become released for sell again. The promoter decides what if ANY tickets that are returned are to be released again to new buyers. Until they are released again, they are not counted towards whether the show is soldout or not.

I have no idea what your are talking about as far as the Eagles and Mariah. Its pretty simple though. Sellout is achieved if all tickets available are sold, even if that is less than half the capacity of the venue. Returned tickets are not counted in that unless they get released again.

How much stock do you put in u2.com articles?

I posted the MJ video/u2 photos because I think his nightly total was closer to 70-75k than 90k. Elton could sell more sidestage seats due to sightlines.

I pay attention to U2.com for when tickets will be going on sale for the fan club as well as general on sale dates and other official news about when and where U2 is playing.

Comparing photes is a matter of speculation really. Nothing can really substitute for official boxscores.

How could a boxing event do a full 20,000-30,000 more than a u2's show when only a couple thousand possible seats are taken up by the Claw?

If the billboard bxscore is less than 312,000, should u2 fans not give the band the single night concert record for Mexico?

Its about the volume of space available for seating on the field. U2's stage takes up a very large space. A boxing ring is tiny by comparison.

Well, what is the confirmed Billboard boxscore record for a single night at the stadium?

The photos show that any single night MJ figure over 75 is very unlikely given the configuration.

The jackson5abc.com site has the closest to a full itinerary I can find for that era.

05/09/1974 - 01/10/1974 South American Tour Panama, Venezuela, Brazil
04 - 06/10/1974 Lake Tahoe, Nevada Sahara Tahoe Hotel (3 shows)
07/10/1974 - 01/11/1974 Far East Tour Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines
03/11/1974 Oakland, California Coliseum
20/11 - 03/12/1974 Las Vegas, Nevada MGM Grand Hotel
01/1975 West Indies Tour
07/02/1975 New York, Radio City Music Hall
08/03/1975 Kingstone (Jamaica), National Stadium
Opening act of Bob Marley & the Wailers
11/06/1975 Chicago, Chicago Stadium
06/07/1975 Westbury, Music Fair
01/09/1975 Mount Vernon, Memorial Stadium
12/1975 - Mexico

Need the name of the venue and the date. How about a ticket stub?

Obviously in events where a show is rescheduled, and the tickets are returned, they do not automatically become released for sell again. The promoter decides what if ANY tickets that are returned are to be released again to new buyers. Until they are released again, they are not counted towards whether the show is soldout or not.

I have no idea what your are talking about as far as the Eagles and Mariah. Its pretty simple though. Sellout is achieved if all tickets available are sold, even if that is less than half the capacity of the venue. Returned tickets are not counted in that unless they get released again.

You've mentioned that once a ticket has been put onsale it cannot be redacted in order to qualify for a "sellout".

Did u2 withold upwards of 7,000 returned seats from the show that hapened first and sold the worst seats for the 2nd night to get a venue record?

Billboard changed their rules to accomodate the sales of the Eagles whe they denied Prince for the same reason. Albums were required to be available at more than one retailer, before Best Buy and Walmart exclusives.

Billboard gave Mariah some all time singles award while not mentioning that the previous holder Elvis Presley had his singles prior to 1959 not counted because of a technicality.

Comparing photes is a matter of speculation really. Nothing can really substitute for official boxscores.

So you can't tell from a photo if there is 70,000 or 110,000 present? Both ends of the spectrum for audience size.

U2FanPeter said:

I was thinking the same thing. The pic shows that his configuration took a solid 20% of the stadium up, which is the same as the U2 show in 05 and probably most other shows for that matter. More to the point it shows that he didn't have a configuration that would have allowed say 90k or so. So 75k over 5 shows (assuming all will completely filled) would put him at roughly a 375k max for his shows....which is a pure guesstimate! lol

You've mentioned that once a ticket has been put onsale it cannot be redacted in order to qualify for a "sellout".

Thats correct, except when shows are cancelled or rescheduled. You can't return a ticket you purchased unless the show is cancelled or rescheduled. The rescheduling of a show will naturally result in tickets being returned to the boxoffice which will not be sold again, either because they are not released for sell, or are not sold after being released for sell.

Did u2 withold upwards of 7,000 returned seats from the show that hapened first and sold the worst seats for the 2nd night to get a venue record?

Again, any tickets that are returned must be re-released in order to be available to the public to purchase. Unless that happens, they have no impact on whether the show sells out or not.

Billboard changed their rules to accomodate the sales of the Eagles whe they denied Prince for the same reason. Albums were required to be available at more than one retailer, before Best Buy and Walmart exclusives.

Not really sure what this has to do with Billboard Boxscore that are provided for Billboard.com and Billboard magazine?

Billboard gave Mariah some all time singles award while not mentioning that the previous holder Elvis Presley had his singles prior to 1959 not counted because of a technicality.

What the hell does this have to do with Boxscores?

So you can't tell from a photo if there is 70,000 or 110,000 present? Both ends of the spectrum for audience size

Again, looking at a video or a picture is simply an estimate and should not be used when claiming records or attendance.

Again, Billboard Boxscore is the way.

Its
Well, what is the confirmed Billboard boxscore record for a single night at the stadium?

Wonderful Album Reviews | Billboard.com

This isn't want you want, but this Billboard link says 112,000 at the Wattstax Festival August 20th 1972 at the LA Coliseum. Tix were $1 each.

Did Macca publish numbers for Maracana April 20/21 1990? Google doesn't have the 1990 BB issues up.

I was thinking the same thing. The pic shows that his configuration took a solid 20% of the stadium up, which is the same as the U2 show in 05 and probably most other shows for that matter. More to the point it shows that he didn't have a configuration that would have allowed say 90k or so. So 75k over 5 shows (assuming all will completely filled) would put him at roughly a 375k max for his shows....which is a pure guesstimate! lol

What's amusing is that Maoil cannot deny that it's possible to have 90k in a 270 setup for that venue given the official boxscore and video footage from the show itself.

Wonderful Album Reviews | Billboard.com

This isn't want you want, but this Billboard link says 112,000 at the Wattstax Festival August 20th 1972 at the LA Coliseum. Tix were $1 each.

Did Macca publish numbers for Maracana April 20/21 1990? Google doesn't have the 1990 BB issues up.

I was talking about the stadium in Mexico City? What does the LA Coliseum have to do with any of this?!?

I doubt there are numbers for a 1990 concert at Maracana in Billboard Boxscore.

What's amusing is that Maoil cannot deny that it's possible to have 90k in a 270 setup for that venue given the official boxscore and video footage from the show itself.

Why is that amusing? I asked to see an official boxscore and it was given with a link, showing that Elton John did indeed play two shows to 180,000 people at the stadium. I'm thinking he played them in a 270 configeration, but he might have done a 360 configeration too.

Thats not date. December 5, 1975 is a date. How many shows, what dates, what was the venue, and what is your source for this?

You said MJ only played Mexico once in his career. I showed video footage, documentary footage(see MJ 93 link) and the jackson5abc website saying otherwise. Given all the other corners of the globe J5 played that year it would be strange if they DIDN'T play Mexico.

Is there a specific REASON you need the exact info for this engagement?

Why is that amusing? I asked to see an official boxscore and it was given with a link, showing that Elton John did indeed play two shows to 180,000 people at the stadium. I'm thinking he played them in a 270 configeration, but he might have done a 360 configeration too.

Watch the video, it appears to be a 270. Maybe they added about 7k tickets on each side of the stage to get from 75k to 90k?

I was talking about the stadium in Mexico City? What does the LA Coliseum have to do with any of this?!?

I doubt there are numbers for a 1990 concert at Maracana in Billboard Boxscore.

There have been a handful of stadium shows over 100k, but this U2 show will likely be the first the first single headliner to break that barrier in a stadium and submitted to Billboard.

It seems silly that you can discount a show that happened less than a decade ago(Jaguares) simply because they didn't sent info to BB magazine.

April 9, 10, 13, 2011
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Estádio do Morumbi
GROSS: $32,754,065
ATTENDANCE: 269,491
SHOWS: 3
SELLOUTS: 3
Average Ticket Price: $121.54

Third highest gross ever in Billboard history. If that same ticket price is used in Mexico City and there is a combined 312,000 people, you get the following GROSS $37,920,480. Thats very close to Bruce's $38 million in New York. Average ticket price will have to be a little higher, probably about $125 which is certainly a possiblity.

If U2 had just played one more show in Sao Paulo, they would have breezed past Springsteens record.

Another sold out SP show would bring the total to $43-44m and Bruce's total after inflation is $44-46m.

It should be noted that MJ's gross for tickets sold for the O2 run was $80-90m. He doubled the record for tix sold at one venue and all he had to do was show up....

If LN thought they could even fill another SP show even halfway, would they have done so? I think the sked could've allowed it. They played other shows on 360 with 35-45k present.

I would have to believe if U2 had broken a record in Mexico for single night attendance, we would have heard something from the media as things like that are a big deal in the industry.

LN/U2.com said the Mexico run was record breaking but didn't say which record they surpassed. Some serious fact checking is needed to irrefutably confirm some of the records they've been known to chase in the past.

You said MJ only played Mexico once in his career. I showed video footage, documentary footage(see MJ 93 link) and the jackson5abc website saying otherwise. Given all the other corners of the globe J5 played that year it would be strange if they DIDN'T play Mexico.

Is there a specific REASON you need the exact info for this engagement?

We know Michael Jackson played Mexico in 1993. I have yet to see any evidence that he played Mexico any time before or since then. Someone posting a youtube video claiming that it was filmed in Mexico is not evidence. The video could be from almost anywhere. Then, you can't come up with the date of any shows in Mexico.

Plus, I want to know how many shows, if any and what venue it was in. Going to Mexico to play in front of a TV room with a stage in front of a hundred people really does not constitute a visit in terms of its impact on demand for an MJ show 20 years later.

There have been a handful of stadium shows over 100k, but this U2 show will likely be the first the first single headliner to break that barrier in a stadium and submitted to Billboard.

It seems silly that you can discount a show that happened less than a decade ago(Jaguares) simply because they didn't sent info to BB magazine.

It seems silly that you'll take any report at face value especially when trying to determine records. Just because a paper reports 100,000 for a show, or 60,000 for a show does not mean its accurate.

The Philadelphia Inquierer reported 60,000 for U2's POPMART show at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. But when we got the official boxscore results, the total was just over 49,000.

When the Police opened their Synchronicity Tour at Comisky Park in Chicago on July 23, 1983, the Chicago Tribune reported there was 33,000 tickets sold, but the boxscore in Billboard confirmed that there was 44,622 tickets sold with a gross of $651,243!

Thats why we use Billboard boxscore especially when assessing who has the record. Outside of Billboard Boxscore, the number reported could be ANYTHING!

For attendance 100,000 and over that has been posted in Billboard for single show, this is what I know of:

1. U2 - 1997 - Reggio Emilia, IT - Festival Grounds - 150,000

2. Rolling Stones - 1995 - Prague, CZ - Strahov Stadium - 126,742

3. Grateful Dead - 1977 - English Town, NJ - Race Way Park - 107,019

4. "SPIRIT OF SUMMER 76" #1
Line up: Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright / Pousette Dart Band
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 12, 1976)
Attendance: 105,000
Gross: $1,050,000

Another sold out SP show would bring the total to $43-44m and Bruce's total after inflation is $44-46m.

Billboard records are not adjusted for inflation.

It should be noted that MJ's gross for tickets sold for the O2 run was $80-90m. He doubled the record for tix sold at one venue and all he had to do was show up....

First tour in 14 years and it was announced as his final tour! The only shows were scheduled at one venue. This is definitely not worth bringing up.

If LN thought they could even fill another SP show even halfway, would they have done so? I think the sked could've allowed it. They played other shows on 360 with 35-45k present

LOL, not when the capacity of the venue is only 90,000. Have there been any 50% or less than 50% full stadiums on this tour? NO Yes, the band played two 35,000 shows in Denmark in a venue that only had a 35,000 capacity.

Live Nation would only book another show if they felt the band could definitely get another 70,000+ into the stadium. It wouldn't have to be a complete sellout, but they would only do it if that thought they had at least a chance so if they fell short the stadium would still look full.

LN/U2.com said the Mexico run was record breaking but didn't say which record they surpassed. Some serious fact checking is needed to irrefutably confirm some of the records they've been known to chase in the past.

Well, various reports from newspapers, fan websites, youtube video etc is NOT fact checking.

Have there been any 50% or less than 50% full stadiums on this tour? NO

Moscow, Istanbul, Australia???

Well, various reports from newspapers, fan websites, youtube video etc is NOT fact checking.

Plus, I want to know how many shows, if any and what venue it was in. Going to Mexico to play in front of a TV room with a stage in front of a hundred people really does not constitute a visit in terms of its impact on demand for an MJ show 20 years later.

Not sure how exact dates/venue info could found without library/newspaper reserch done in Mexico itself.

YouTube - ‪The Jacksons in Mexico City 1975 - Never Can Say Goodbye‬‏

Carefully listen to the first 5 seconds that include somewhay faint 1975 audio/video of MJ saying "nice to be here in Mexico".

First tour in 14 years and it was announced as his final tour! The only shows were scheduled at one venue. This is definitely not worth bringing up.

Live Nation would only book another show if they felt the band could definitely get another 70,000+ into the stadium. It wouldn't have to be a complete sellout, but they would only do it if that thought they had at least a chance so if they fell short the stadium would still look full.

MJ only announced them as his final solo appearance in London which gave him lots of future wiggle room. negotiations were happening for other continents. BTW, it was 12 years since HIStory tour and O2.

Why would Live Nation have higher standards for booking an extra stadium than some of the Aussie shows that had balcony sections that were curtained off?

It seems silly that you'll take any report at face value especially when trying to determine records. Just because a paper reports 100,000 for a show, or 60,000 for a show does not mean its accurate.

For attendance 100,000 and over that has been posted in Billboard for single show, this is what I know of:

1. U2 - 1997 - Reggio Emilia, IT - Festival Grounds - 150,000

2. Rolling Stones - 1995 - Prague, CZ - Strahov Stadium - 126,742

3. Grateful Dead - 1977 - English Town, NJ - Race Way Park - 107,019

4. "SPIRIT OF SUMMER 76" #1
Line up: Yes / Peter Frampton / Gary Wright / Pousette Dart Band
JFK Stadium; Philadelphia, PA (June 12, 1976)
Attendance: 105,000
Gross: $1,050,000

My point is that I've never seen U2 brag about a venue or all time attendance record if they weren't quite certain of it, billboard or semi-reliable figures. Just because the numbers were submitted to Billboard doesn't mean they don't exist.

Did Oasis or Robbie submit boxscores for their Knebworth appearances with multiple nights of 125k?

Any submitted numbers for these Prague shows with possible attendances over 100k or was BB not covering Europe in the early 90's?
The Rolling Stones - Aug 18, 1990
Guns N' Roses - May 20, 1992
Pink Floyd - Sept 7, 1994

Thats correct, except when shows are cancelled or rescheduled. You can't return a ticket you purchased unless the show is cancelled or rescheduled. The rescheduling of a show will naturally result in tickets being returned to the boxoffice which will not be sold again, either because they are not released for sell, or are not sold after being released for sell.

Again, any tickets that are returned must be re-released in order to be available to the public to purchase. Unless that happens, they have no impact on whether the show sells out or not.

Not really sure what this has to do with Billboard Boxscore that are provided for Billboard.com and Billboard magazine?

What the hell does this have to do with Boxscores?

Again, looking at a video or a picture is simply an estimate and should not be used when claiming records or attendance.

Live Nation recently brought in a policy where you can return a ticket within 3 days of buying it online, as long as it's 1 week before the event This was done to combat complaints of LN not selling tickets in order of best to worst.
Live Nation | Purchase Policy

I trust the fugures printed by BB, but I take the "sell out" part at arms length. BB is a magazine that its funded by promoters/managers/labels via advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom