u2 18 week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Japan : 44,095 at # 9
France : 21,462 at # 1 on compilation chart (Beatles # 1 on normal chart with 35k)
Canada : 19k at # 3

Last edited:
ChargedVT said:
Good news in New Zealand

U2 18 is #1 and 2xplatinum

Saints up from #5 to #4

DVDs
U2 18 is #1 Gold
Chicago is #5 3xplatinum
Sydney at #8

ChargedVT said:
Australian sales figure - 41,689

this is VERY good, Bomb sold just under 48,000 first week here so U2 18 Singles is clearly doing a hell of a lot better here than anywhere else.
It more than doubled the sales for #2 which was the Beatles

Shit that's impressive! no doubt the recent gigs down there will've helped. :up:

1st week Sales figures in 6 of the biggest markets :

USA : 134,389 (# 12)
UK : 101,083 (# 4)
Japan : 44,095 (# 9)
Australia : 41,689 (# 1)
France : 21,462 (# 1 on compilation chart, Beatles # 1 on normal chart with 35k)
Canada : 19k (# 3)
Total = 362,000

Going by 1st week totals for The Bomb (1.3m from these 6 out of 1.854m total) projected total on tomarrows worldwide MediaTraffic chart will be ~500,000. Just hope it can hit 600k.

Last edited:
This is the list I have so far....

Australia = 1
Austria = 2
Canada = 3
Czech = 4
Finland = 21
Germany = 5
Hungary = 17
Ireland = 2
Japan = 9
Netherlands = 3
New Zealand = 1
Norway = 7
Poland = 21
Portugal = 2
Spain = 2
Switzerland = 1
UK = 4
USA = 12

Waiting on Belgium, Denmark, Sweden

I think we'll see a figure of about 570k, although mediatraffic has a habit of putting lower figures than i estimate, so lets say 550k.
Is that any good? Well, not really, but I still maintain this is a release that will keep selling well over time.
Eventual sales figure? Hard to tell at this point but i'd say somewhere around 4-5 million.

PS welcome back edge3, its been a while!

Yeah, oasis recent compliation will probs sell around the same if you believe recent figures.

u2:18 will double in sales over christmas.

No panic .... yet.

#1 Australia (P) e NZ (2xP), SWI, France compilations chart (22k)
#2 Portugal (Gold), Spain (40k), Austria, Ireland
#3 Netherlands, Canada (senza versione deluxe - 19k)
#4 Uk (poco + di 100k), Italy, Czek, Sweden
#5 Germany, Argentina
#7 Norway
#8 Cile
#9 Japan (44k)
#12 Usa ( 135k)
#13 Perù
#17 Ungary
#21 Poland, Finland
# 28 Belgiium

Last edited:
Tallarico said:
n. 3 on mediatraffic.de top 40 chart!

I believe I predicted 3 million by the end of the year.......even with Christmas around the corner, I don't see it happening. Probably 3 million after a year, 2 million by Christmas.

Belgium
U218
Flanders: 28-7
Walloon: 49-10

DVD Flanders:
18singles new entry at 7
Zoo Tv at 8 (in it's 11th week)

No sign of the DVD's in Walloon

mikeuk said:

so 402k sold from 7 countries (incl Spain) - so `just' 19k from everywhere else ???!!!! Not convinced

Mike

Yes 421k seems too low considering there's a definite 362k from those 6 countries. It probably also sold something like ~20k in Spain (40k is shipment), ~40k in Germany, ~25k in Italy, ~15k in Holland, ~10k in Ireland, ~8k New Zealand, ~8k Portugal. So that's another ~126k from these 7 countries. So already ~488k from 12 countries. So the overall figure from like 20+ countries surely must be at least 500k.

Last edited:
Not quite sure bout the numbers , but U2 18 was released in Brazil this week , and these are charts of the biggest online sellers :

Americanas.com (Biggest seller ) :
#3 , #1 International

http://w ww.ame ricanas.com.br/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CDStore.woa/wa/bestseller

Submarino.com :
#1 International

ht tp://www.sub marino.com.br/cds_top10.asp?Query=ProductPage&ProdTypeId=2

Detail : In Brazil not even word yet of Deluxe , so there are only the cds , no Milan boost

Last edited:
bathiu said:
Poland #21 :(

(all albums since 'Pop' were at #1 after 1st week, only 'Best Of 1990-2000 was at #2)

:reject: I am so, so sorry.
#21 was actually from week 0 (only from friday 17th to sunday 19th).

The real week 1 is #4 :up:

...again, sorry for my mistake...

ChargedVT said:
This site has a completely different total for the album.
But I have heard this site is a bit unreliable.
However I still think it's more accurate than mediatraffic

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

So 511,900 on Hit List chart. Thought it might be. Well that's definitely more accurate than the 421k Media Traffic figure. I must say though that Hit List figure for Oasis - 276,700 - is too low. Stop The Clocks must've done at least about 300k. But the Hit List figure for The Beatles - 769k - is also more accurate than Media Traffic's 721k.

ChargedVT said:
This site has a completely different total for the album.
But I have heard this site is a bit unreliable.
However I still think it's more accurate than mediatraffic

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

This chart is probably right.

But what's really pathetic is that the several of the top 10 selling albums in the world are just greatest hits CD's!

Even worse is that the #1 selling album in the world only sold 769K copies. In 2004, HTDAAB sold 850K copies that same week JUST in the U.S.!

This alone says all that needs to be said about music. When the top selling albums are greatest hits releases from trusted acts and the new releases can't even sell over 700K copies worldwide in what is typically one of the stronger sales weeks of the year, then you know the music industry is in trouble.

One can only hope that online sales are accounting for the rest.

Delayed as always the Greek chart infos. None the less U218 is at #2 with a gold certification (15.000 shipments). Actual sales are hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom