Touring Info. from 2004 (U.S. Only)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahweh said:
All ive got to say is Metallica sucks donkey balls whether theyve sold 100 million records or 1 record, they are absolutely one of the most over rated bands in the history of "heavy metal" or "alternative" or whatever you prefer to call them. If Metallica is around for 25 years and still selling albums fine but I doubt they will be and it has been proven with the last 2 records especially that their fanbase has erroded to the point of not being much more then an above average selling musical act...and certainly not a globally large act at all anymore other then a few areas in Europe.

Well over half of Metallicas sales have come out of 1 country the USA, comparing that to U2 who have about 35 percent of sales coming from the USA, which shows me that U2 is a much bigger pressence on the world wide touring stage.

Additionally How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb outsold Metallica's total album sales for St. Anger in 5 weeks, and the tour hasnt even started yet.

metallicas first 5 albums have no filler song:yes: .metallica is the led zeppelin of this generation.they sold more thirts than michael jordan.st anger world tour bigger than any u2 tour.only festival promoters gave 1 million them every show.they played easily 6 million people

and this question for paul mcguiness>will u2 open for metallica on the next summer sanitarium tour.u know they cant play stadiums in america since 98:wave:

u2s new album sales is not important.it will dropped after sixth months.vertigo is great for commercial radio stations

NoControl said:

Good points, erdem_atakoy. And it's good to see that someone can admit that U2 isn't the biggest band in the world.

i know my english is poor but who cares i am from istanbul.2003 catalog sales.dark side of the moon 511.131 :)

Pink Floyd and U2 are bands with similar comercial facts:

-Few HIT singles/songs (only 3-4 U2 songs are UNIVERSAL: wowy, I Still, One... and maybe BDay.. And Pink Floyd's Another Brick Part 2, Wish You Were Here, Money..).

-Very strong selling albums (JT, R&H, AB, ATYCLB, Best Of 80's / Dark Side, The Wall)

-Enormous Tours (JT, ZooTV, PopMart / The Wall and Floyd's last tours without Roger Waters).

I think, in terms of popularity (only the three bands quoted in this post):

1. Pink Floyd
2. U2
3. Metallica

I saw Pink Floyd's Division Bell show in Barcelona (July, 1994, 53,200 people in attendance) and was an INCREDIBLE show, but without Waters, Floyd wasn't the same band that shocked the world in the 70's. DB Tour was a making-money machine and Pink Floyd a legend that people pay to see because their name. Not because Division Bell or A Momentary Lapse Or Reason were really popular. Same situation of Stones since their Steel Wheels in 1989.

Legend sold tons of tickets but 80's and 90's wasn't Pink Floyd times. Instead, 80's and 90's was U2 times.

Vox

erdem_ataköy said:

i know my english is poor but who cares i am from istanbul.2003 catalog sales.dark side of the moon 511.131 :)

No worries. I'm positive my Turkish wouldn't be that great if I'd ever attempt to speak your language. You're doing a pretty good job with your English btw. And thanks a million for your United States 2003 sales Soundscan figure for Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon. :wave:

Vox02 said:
Pink Floyd and U2 are bands with similar comercial facts:

-Few HIT singles/songs (only 3-4 U2 songs are UNIVERSAL: wowy, I Still, One... and maybe BDay.. And Pink Floyd's Another Brick Part 2, Wish You Were Here, Money..).

-Very strong selling albums (JT, R&H, AB, ATYCLB, Best Of 80's / Dark Side, The Wall)

-Enormous Tours (JT, ZooTV, PopMart / The Wall and Floyd's last tours without Roger Waters).

I think, in terms of popularity (only the three bands quoted in this post):

1. Pink Floyd
2. U2
3. Metallica

I saw Pink Floyd's Division Bell show in Barcelona (July, 1994, 53,200 people in attendance) and was an INCREDIBLE show, but without Waters, Floyd wasn't the same band that shocked the world in the 70's. DB Tour was a making-money machine and Pink Floyd a legend that people pay to see because their name. Not because Division Bell or A Momentary Lapse Or Reason were really popular. Same situation of Stones since their Steel Wheels in 1989.

Legend sold tons of tickets but 80's and 90's wasn't Pink Floyd times. Instead, 80's and 90's was U2 times.

Vox

metallica is the top selling band of the decade(90s).and most popular.and they are still going strong.they will release new studio album in late 2005

and metallica is a household name.you can view metallica tshirts every street in the world.eve non music fans know their name.elektra and antlanticrecords says on their web sites metallica is the biggest and greatest rock band in the world.paul mcguiness is liar

it is official>http://www.forbes.com/maserati/cele...ListType=Person&uniqueId=G7PT&datatype=Person

NoControl said:

Really, then why did U2 book 2 shows at the 13,000 capacity Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI on leg 3 of the Elevation tour instead of the Fleet Center (17,000) in nearby Boston? I'll tell you why, it's obviously because they maxed out at around 60-65,000 people on the first leg there, where they performed 4 shows at the Fleet Center.

No, it's because the Providence venue didn't charge any rent. It was a newly renovated facility back then, and a major coup to get U2, so they made them their "loss leader". Manchester, NH offered a similar deal, but Providence had A) higher capacity B) a larger population base in the 40 mile radius.

U2 could have sold out two shows at Fleet in Oct '01 no question.

A similar situation is unfolding in Arizona, where U2 is going to play the arena in Glendale instead of downtown Phoenix. Glendale Arena has about 4000 less seats, and despite being a new venue, it isn't really the "hot venue" with promoters in the market, mainly due to the fact that it's 20 miles from downtown Phoenix, and over an hour's drive from over half the population of the Phoenix metro area.

Last edited:
erdem_ataköy said:

metallica is the top selling band of the decade(90s).and most popular.and they are still going strong.they will release new studio album in late 2005

and metallica is a household name.you can view metallica tshirts every street in the world.eve non music fans know their name.elektra and antlanticrecords says on their web sites metallica is the biggest and greatest rock band in the world.paul mcguiness is liar

it is official>http://www.forbes.com/maserati/cele...ListType=Person&uniqueId=G7PT&datatype=Person

METFIELD? :D :D

Metallica is know as a HEAVY HEAVY (so, guitar riff and black and black t-shirts) band with a popular album back in 1991 and few hit songs in the 80's. The rest represents millions and millions of heavy fans, the most loyal people of the world :D

Open your mind. Metallica wasn't The Beatles, Rolling Stones or Michael Jackson. Metallica was know as a heavy band, and their role was make albums and neverending tours (another heavy role: play arenas over and over, their fans are loyal!) almost every year = many albums sold and many tickets sold.

Queen fans are another example of robotic form when their discuss about music: "Queen sold 38364836520 copies with Bohemian Rhapsody and their make the first video clip of history, what about U2??".

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Relax!!

Vox

Originally posted by Vox02 I saw Pink Floyd's Division Bell show in Barcelona (July, 1994, 53,200 people in attendance) and was an INCREDIBLE show, but without Waters, Floyd wasn't the same band that shocked the world in the 70's. DB Tour was a making-money machine and Pink Floyd a legend that people pay to see because their name. Not because Division Bell or A Momentary Lapse Or Reason were really popular. Same situation of Stones since their Steel Wheels in 1989.

Well, this is an interesting post. But I disagree that Floyd's past two albums weren't popular (as they've sold 7-8 Million copies each), and that they're not as good without Waters.

Pink Floyd & U2 have each sold around 115 Million albums since 1987, even though Floyd have had many less album releases than compared to U2 since then.

Thanks for the Barcelona attendance figure btw.

Originally posted by Vox02 Legend sold tons of tickets but 80's and 90's wasn't Pink Floyd times. Instead, 80's and 90's was U2 times.
Vox

And I've extensively shown, I don't see how you could arrive at that conclusion.

Last edited:
lukea said:
No, it's because the Providence venue didn't charge any rent. It was a newly renovated facility back then, and a major coup to get U2, so they made them their "loss leader". Manchester, NH offered a similar deal, but Providence had A) higher capacity B) a larger population base in the 40 mile radius.

U2 could have sold out two shows at Fleet in Oct '01 no question.

That's an interesting story if it's true. But even if it was, if there was more demand, it's obvious that U2 would've booked more shows at the DDC.

Originally posted by lukea A similar situation is unfolding in Arizona, where U2 is going to play the arena in Glendale instead of downtown Phoenix. Glendale Arena has about 4000 less seats, and despite being a new venue, it isn't really the "hot venue" with promoters in the market, mainly due to the fact that it's 20 miles from downtown Phoenix, and over an hour's drive from over half the population of the Phoenix metro area.

They both have virtually identical capacity - at least for an ice hockey configuration, which would be the near equivalent for a 360 degree end stage configuration.

Vox02 said:

METFIELD? :D :D

Metallica is know as a HEAVY HEAVY (so, guitar riff and black and black t-shirts) band with a popular album back in 1991 and few hit songs in the 80's. The rest represents millions and millions of heavy fans, the most loyal people of the world :D

Open your mind. Metallica wasn't The Beatles, Rolling Stones or Michael Jackson. Metallica was know as a heavy band, and their role was make albums and neverending tours (another heavy role: play arenas over and over, their fans are loyal!) almost every year = many albums sold and many tickets sold.

Queen fans are another example of robotic form when their discuss about music: "Queen sold 38364836520 copies with Bohemian Rhapsody and their make the first video clip of history, what about U2??".

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Relax!!

Vox

false.metallica is not typical metal band since 88.after 91 metallica isthe leader of both rock and metal world.in fact every metallica album debut number 1 and 2 billboard chart since 91.garage inc is a double album of b sides songs.it sold 412.000 in the first week.know this is success

metallica outsold jackson,stones,madonna,elton john,guns n roses,bruce springsteen in my country.metallica is the only artist played two stadium shows in istanbul.which is most popular city after new york and paris.population over 15 million
http://www.milliyet.com.tr/1999/06/15/yasam/yas02.html

NoControl said:

That's an interesting story if it's true. But even if it was, if there was more demand, it's obvious that U2 would've booked more shows at the DDC.

They both have virtually identical capacity - at least for an ice hockey configuration, which would be the near equivalent for a 360 degree end stage configuration.

They didn't book more shows in Providence because the leg was only scheduled to be thirty dates, and they had plenty of other markets to hit. Just because you can sell the tickets doesn't mean it's always the best play.

And Glendale is a few thousand less than AWA even with a 360 setup.

Metallica won a Billboard Music Award for Top Music Videocassette of the Year (Cliff 'Em All). 88
Metallica again had the Top Music Videocassette of the Year ($19.98 Home Vid Cliff'em All!).89

Last edited:
lukea said:

They didn't book more shows in Providence because the leg was only scheduled to be thirty dates, and they had plenty of other markets to hit. Just because you can sell the tickets doesn't mean it's always the best play.

There was plenty of room to book more. And the Boston area is U2's 3rd largest US U2 market - which is something they wouldn't ignore.

Originally posted by lukea And Glendale is a few thousand less than AWA even with a 360 setup.

Hockey capacity:

Glendale Arena - 17,500
America West Arena - 18,000+ (slightly higher)

i found a metallica attandance figure first time hehe

Metallica's Summer Sanitarium 7/15/00 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum LA, CA 73,458 73,458 100% $4,334,590

Maybe I should do a trace on all your IP addresses because I must say that some of the language used in here looks familiar to our long lost wonderful friends.

Yahweh said:
Maybe I should do a trace on all your IP addresses because I must say that some of the language used in here looks familiar to our long lost wonderful friends.

i heard some metal band outsold pop rock acts like rem,u2,madonna.is it possible metal genre is not that pupular:shame:

erdem_ataköy said:
no control is right.pink floyd is real big rock legend.u2 catalog sales so poor compare to real rock bands(led zeppelin,metallica,acdc) because pop albums usually cant sell well after first 2 years.if you look at jushua tree hasnt updated in years because u2 albums not classic rock record.when u2 retire they cant sell millions anymore

Ok Metfield andwhoever else you probably are.. :D

NoControl said:

There was plenty of room to book more. And the Boston area is U2's 3rd largest US U2 market - which is something they wouldn't ignore.

Hockey capacity:

Glendale Arena - 17,500
America West Arena - 18,000+ (slightly higher)

They only wanted to do 30 dates- yes, they had room, but those were off days.

And if you've ever been to a hockey game at AWA, you would know why the capacity was lower than the basketball capacity (19,023)- the genuises who built the place didn't make the arena floor big enough for a regulation size hockey rink... the seating capacity went down, and 1/4th of the arena had obstructed views. Hence, the fact the Coyotes built a hockey-only arena- they were losing money hand over fist.

360 capacity at AWA approaches 20,000.

Originally posted by lukea They only wanted to do 30 dates- yes, they had room, but those were off days.

Boston is their third largest market in the US. Why would they play markets that did under 16,000 like Sacramento, Kansas City, St. Louis, Tampa, etc., that didn't sell out if they could've played to more people in Boston?

Originally posted by lukea And if you've ever been to a hockey game at AWA, you would know why the capacity was lower than the basketball capacity (19,023)- the genuises who built the place didn't make the arena floor big enough for a regulation size hockey rink... the seating capacity went down, and 1/4th of the arena had obstructed views. Hence, the fact the Coyotes built a hockey-only arena- they were losing money hand over fist.

360 capacity at AWA approaches 20,000.

All hockey capacities are lower than basketball capacities in arenas.

No figure I've seen shows 20,000 for hockey (which is the basic equivalent of a 360 end stage) at AWA. Also, since U2 didn't do over 18,000 in Phoenix on both trips there in '01 it also shows that that's wrong.

So do these:

http://www.seatdata.com/html/america_west_arena/america_west_arena_info.htm

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/hockey/nhl/nhllisting.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom