This album is really selling like hot cakes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackboy

The Fly
still number 1 in world sales...not bad...they haven't sold so consistently for over 15 years

Do you guys remember the millions of pounds/dollars dedicated to the marketing of this album? Looks like it was money well spent. U2 is all over the market and are gearing up for a huge - HUGE tour.

Life just keeps getting better in U2land.

I must be dyslexic today. I thought it said "This album is like selling hotcakes." I wanted to know how that thought ended. :huh:

jackboy said:
still number 1 in world sales...not bad...they haven't sold so consistently for over 15 years

Are you rteferring to last week or do you have sight of the chart for this week, as the world chart usually publishes on Friday
www.mediatraffic.de ? I do expect U2 to retain the top slot in the world chart, just as they have in the European chart.

In the `Peeling Off' forum we keep a watch on this & other charts.

Mike

U2 are in their second wind, like their last gasp. This album will be like their version of Supernatural or Hell Freezes Over --- just one last big seller before they finally fold up and are no longer relevant. After HTDAAB, U2 will join the ranks of the Stones as a ceremonial touring band that makes token albums just for the hell of it.

Cheers,

J

Yeah, you're right Jick. I mean, after "Pop" *only* sold 1.5M copies in the U.S., people thought U2 weren't relevant and their big sales days were over. And when ATYCLB sold a mere 4.2M copies in the U.S., clearly you can see U2 were slipping. And now that HTDAAB will sell 2M copies in the U.S. in 5 LONG, arduous weeks, it proves this is clearly U2's last gasp in terms of sales. I'm surprised their label doesn't drop them with these low numbers. I'm sure their next album will be a total flop as it might only sell 2-5M in the U.S. Blech!

While I doubt that U2 will ever top the success of HTDAAB (of course I said that about ATYCLB, but look), I still think it's possible that U2 will make good, relevant music, and that lots of people will still take note. They are already pushing new boundaries for the magnitude of hits a band can have after 25 years. Maybe Aerosmith is the only other band to have similar success to this. They won't become the Stones. That would be horrible. I really only see 2 more tours after this album. One for the next album, and then one farewell tour.

jick said:
U2 are in their second wind, like their last gasp. This album will be like their version of Supernatural or Hell Freezes Over --- just one last big seller before they finally fold up and are no longer relevant. After HTDAAB, U2 will join the ranks of the Stones as a ceremonial touring band that makes token albums just for the hell of it.

Cheers,

J

Good Lord....like they'd bastardize themselves like that....Really Jick, come up with something believable.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Do you guys remember the millions of pounds/dollars dedicated to the marketing of this album? Looks like it was money well spent. U2 is all over the market and are gearing up for a huge - HUGE tour.

Life just keeps getting better in U2land.

Every album is heavily marketed, but today, U2 does not have a video played on MTV and VH1 every hour like they did 12 and 17 years ago. MTV and VH1 rarely play video's when most people would see them.

Also, radio in the USA still gives new U2 singles a lukewarm response, unlike in the days of Joshua Tree and Achtung.

The best way to market your band is to have them played every hour on the radio and every hour on a national broadcast like MTV and VH1. Without that, other marketing strategy is necessary but will never be as effective.

I agree 100 percent STING2

It makes me sad that they aren't as popular as they were in the 80's and early 90's, but I am proud to say they have really left on a mark on their place in history. I am really looking forward to seeing them get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Without a doubt, they have to be the No. 1 band in the last 25 years.

Windmilllane said:
I agree 100 percent STING2

It makes me sad that they aren't as popular as they were in the 80's and early 90's, but I am proud to say they have really left on a mark on their place in history. I am really looking forward to seeing them get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Without a doubt, they have to be the No. 1 band in the last 25 years.

Um, I did not say they were not as popular as they were in the 80s and early 90s, just that they are not getting the radio airplay at the level they did back then. Popularity is about album sales and concert ticket sales, and based on those two area's, the band is still the most popular artist in the world! The new album HTDAAB is U2's fastest selling album EVER!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom