The New Single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
Ok, now I would like some expert information regarding the potential charting status of "Vertigo."

I understand with hip-hop and R&B ruling the charts, I would be pleased if Vertigo could hit the top ten of the hot 40 or whatever it's called. Didn't Discotheque hit #10 in the U.S.? BD hit #21 or somewhere in that vicinity, but isn't that partly credited to the unavailability of commercial singles in the U.S.?

Once again, I'm not really worried about charting around the rest of the world. That's already taken care of.

Quite personally, one reason I don't think BD did better was because radio was skeptical about the relevance of U2 after what they considered irrelevant singles off of Pop. Now that U2 has established itself again with ATYCLB (at least I think so), what does everyone think are the possibilities for Vertigo? Is the fact that it may be considered more of a rocker hurt its chances for charting higher?

I know sting2 and popmartign usually have some insight on these matters.

Hello,

To be honest, I really don't have any idea how this single will chart in the US. Not only have I not followed the charts that much in the US, I have also no idea how radio stations consider U2. Still, I have the feeling the single will do quite well. From what I hear (as reported here on Interference), radio DJ's are enthusiastic about the upcoming single. Add to that the fact that the last U2 album did quite well (although that's already 4 years ago) and the single might do quite good.
I don't know if it will better the performance of Beautiful Day though. You may be right that radio was initially sceptical about the relevance of U2, but BD reached that #21 position after a couple of months (after the 2001 Grammy Awards). By that time, radio did support the single. In a way, you can say that BD was responsible for the sales of ATYCLB until at least the end of March 2001 (when the Elevation Tour started), so for more than 5 months (and even 7 if you count from the first airing of the single and not from the day ATYCLB went on sale)! :eek:

Anyway, I think your guess on this matter is as good as mine. :)

C ya!

Marty

Its difficult to say, because radio formats like "Mainstream Rock" and "Modern Rock" where U2 use to automatically go to #1 all the time, did not support U2 to that same degree during ATYCLB. The singles went top 10 in those formats but were not #1 for weeks like they had been during Achtung Baby and before. Those rock formats have essentially been U2's base.

I new radio format that looks like it may be U2's new base is "Adult Top 40". U2 did very well here during ATYCLB, which is interesting. Regular top 40 and other formats are very difficult to judge.

All radio airplay regardless if its Country or Metal, Adult Contemporary or Top 40, is compiled and averaged into the big HOT 100 chart. Single sales have very little influence on HOT 100 chart position today. An artist can have a top 5 hit on the HOT 100 without releasing a single. Its all about Airplay.

Because so many different formats are considered for airplay on the HOT 100 compared to the formats that were considered 10 or 15 years ago, it has made it harder for some artist to chart higher on the big HOT 100.

To sum up, I think the Vertigo is going to do well, and at least make it into the top 25. The Question will be how long it stays there. Beautiful Day hung around for a really long time and still gets played even today. That longevity factor is what is going to be key.

Back
Top Bottom