The Miracle Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there going to be an official video? Streaming is having a big chart impact these days

I think the real win would be if it's able to cross over into adult contemporary. That's a very big format, and they are capable of crossing over as was evident by Ordinary Loves performance

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I believe that U2 only released the song to AAA and Alternative, so for (Hot) AC to play it, they would have to decide to do so themselves from their iTunes songs.

U2 will probably push the next single to Hot AC.

I believe that U2 only released the song to AAA and Alternative, so for (Hot) AC to play it, they would have to decide to do so themselves from their iTunes songs.

U2 will probably push the next single to Hot AC.

Interestingly enough, it is on the Hot AC Spincrease chart with 23 plays from 2 stations.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think the Mircale is a harder, more punk sounding song than what may normally be played on Hot AC (although I am no expert in this area) and certainly more so than Ordinary Love.

I view it a bit like releasing the Fly first from AB - they hit the rock stations first and never really got any "pop"/top40 airplay with that song, but were trying to make a bold statement about their direction. Frankly, more people have probably heard the Miracle than many songs currently in the Billboard hot100 given the reach of the iTunes commercial (BTW an excellent ad IMHO) and the free downloads. While neither of those will show up on these charts, I am not sure U2 care.

This week's update from Mediabase (Miracle) for North America:

Adult Rock: Holds at 6

Alternative: Moves up from 42 to 40 (Up to 39 this AM with a bullet)

Rock: Moves up from 33 to 24

Canada Active Rock: Moves up from 15 to 13

Canada Alternative: Moves from 25 to 17

Guess we'll see if the song gets a video as we get closer to the physical release. Especially since U2 have been talking about moving towards an "audio-visual" concept going forward.

P.S. No charting in Europe, as almost all charts are based on paid downloads/physical sales. Did find this interesting "archive" of U2 singles and albums that goes all the way back to their beginning for the UK.

U2 | Artist | Official Charts

For singles and even albums, U2 charted better and better over time in the UK, post Joshua Tree, which is not exactly how their sales have trended or "peaked" in the U.S. market. NLOTH had no really "hit" singles in the UK, either. Still another #1 album, though.

Oct 7 Weekly Update

This week's update from Mediabase (Miracle) for North America:

Adult Rock: Holds at 6

Alternative: Moves up from 42 to 40 (Up to 39 this AM with a bullet)

Rock: Moves up from 33 to 24

Canada Active Rock: Moves up from 15 to 13

Canada Alternative: Moves from 25 to 17

Once again Mediabase has updated their weekly radio play charts. Miracle in N.A.:

Adult Rock: holds at 6, but increased in spins this AM and next 2 songs are finally being reeled in. Coldplay should drop behind Miracle this week as they head in opposite directions. Miracle had +32 spins to A Sky Full of Stars -4.

Rock: Miracle actually slipped from 24 to 25 but has regained positive spins per daily US radio updates

Alternative: Miracle up from 40 to 36 with a decent increase in plays

Canada Active Rock: Miracle jumps from 13 to 6 and if that pace continues might hit #1 soon

Canada Alternative: Miracle slips from 17 to 19

So the song is holding it's own, but perhaps it needs a push. The commercial album release next Tuesday and accompanying blitz, if there is one, would come at the perfect time to push Miracle higher.

Finally, the AMC Walking dead commercial with The Troubles has played twice already for my cable in last 24 hours.

Billboard update today for The Miracle:

AAA: #5 (6 last week)
Alternative: #36 (debut, it was probably 41 last week)
Rock Airplay: #24 (30 last week)

Rock Airplay combines AAA, Alternative and Mainstream Rock (which includes Active Rock where the song is MIA, and Heritage Rock which is a mostly dead format)

They NEED Every Breaking Wave!!

I wish they would release Crystal Ballroom!! damn that would be a great single.

U2 | Artist | Official Charts

For singles and even albums, U2 charted better and better over time in the UK, post Joshua Tree, which is not exactly how their sales have trended or "peaked" in the U.S. market. NLOTH had no really "hit" singles in the UK, either. Still another #1 album, though.

Hahaha the only thing to spend more than a week at #1 is that Take Me to the Clouds Above thing.

This site has overall US Radio Airplay...

USA Airplay Music Charts • The most played tracks on USA radio stations • Charly1300

21.09.2014 - #168
28.09.2014 - #166

Obviously, there should have been an update for 5.10.2014...but it's nowhere to be found. That site probably also doesn't count local/college stations (not that most of them would play U2 anyway) as those stations aren't really part of the regular radiosphere and probably don't report to Billboard or whomever currently tracks that data. Although, for what it's worth, I heard some college station play "Breathe" randomly back in 2012, so you never know.

This site has overall US Radio Airplay...

USA Airplay Music Charts • The most played tracks on USA radio stations • Charly1300

21.09.2014 - #168
28.09.2014 - #166

Obviously, there should have been an update for 5.10.2014...but it's nowhere to be found. That site probably also doesn't count local/college stations (not that most of them would play U2 anyway) as those stations aren't really part of the regular radiosphere and probably don't report to Billboard or whomever currently tracks that data. Although, for what it's worth, I heard some college station play "Breathe" randomly back in 2012, so you never know.

Interestingly enough, on the European chart(31 countries):

21.09.2014 - #70
28.09.2014 - #47

Not too bad.

And in the UK specifically:

21.09.2014 - #85
28.09.2014 - #65

Interestingly enough, on the European chart(31 countries):

21.09.2014 - #70
28.09.2014 - #47

Not too bad.

And in the UK specifically:

21.09.2014 - #85
28.09.2014 - #65

Europe
05.10.2014- 46 (up only 1 spot)

UK
05.10.2014- 48 (up 17 spots)

USA
05.10.2014- 157 (up 9 spots)

That's probably going to be its peak...song doesn't have anything remarkable enough about it to make much more of a leap, so I imagine the last few weeks have mostly been "catch-up" as various stations added the song to their playlists.

That's probably going to be its peak...song doesn't have anything remarkable enough about it to make much more of a leap, so I imagine the last few weeks have mostly been "catch-up" as various stations added the song to their playlists.

I'm not so sure about that. I agree with you about the song. Not a great choice for radio play, but there will be a lot more promotion going on in the next couple weeks, which I would think would push it a little higher. My hope is they ditch it and go with EBW or California or Crystal Ballroom (yeah right, I know. LOL)

I like the video. Unfortunelty, I just listened to the Crystal Ballroom and my mind won't accept me thinking about other songs right now or perhaps ever(I like the Miracle though).

I like the video. Unfortunelty, I just listened to the Crystal Ballroom and my mind won't accept me thinking about other songs right now or perhaps ever(I like the Miracle though).

Check out the 12' version on Youtube! Fantastic!! Basically a great extended version. It's so nice to hear U2 jam it out for a few minutes with no vocal interruptions from Bono (no offence Bono).

Quick update for week of October 14-20

Miracle is up to #3 on Adult Rock/AAA
Miracle is up to #29 on Alternative
Miracle at #29 on "Mainstream Rock"

Quick update for week of October 14-20

Miracle is up to #3 on Adult Rock/AAA
Miracle is up to #29 on Alternative
Miracle at #29 on "Mainstream Rock"

Always appreciate your updates. Glad to see Miracle slowly but surely climbing, but I think California, Song for Someone and California have much better chances of doing well on the more mainstream charts.

Agreed with you guys on the Crystal Ballroom. The production on it is amazing. Tons of layers and things to discover when you keep going back for more.

Europe
05.10.2014- 46 (up only 1 spot)

UK
05.10.2014- 48 (up 17 spots)

USA
05.10.2014- 157 (up 9 spots)

Europe
12.10.2014- 38 (up 8 spots)

UK
12.10.2014- 38 (up 10 spots)

USA
12.10.2014- 147 (up 10 spots)

No problem

Always appreciate your updates. Glad to see Miracle slowly but surely climbing, but I think California, Song for Someone and California have much better chances of doing well on the more mainstream charts.

I don't think a new single will be released as long as Miracle is still gaining airplay. Several other songs from SOI will likely chart around the world due to single downloads, including California. Charts that are based on sales, anyway. In fact, single song downloads from i-tunes have had up to 5 SOI songs charting in some 80 countries, which baffles me. I thought everyone with an i-tunes account got SOI for free, yet at least 4 songs were in i-tunes top 10 in many countries around the globe.

Anyway, Mediabase has updated their weekly radio play charts for N.A.

In the U.S.:
Miracle up from 4 to 3 on Adult Rock
Miracle holds at 29 on Mainstream Rock but now w/bullet
Miracle up 3 spots to 27 on Alternative

Miracle holds steady in Canada's top 10 at 8 on the Active Rock Chart
It regains momentum on Canada's Alternative chart, rising from 20 to 17

And back to I-tunes, they rank overall Artist's performance based on a points system that combines albums and songs downloaded. Since SOI was given away, U2 has been in the 30-50 range. Since the physical release of SOI(+), U2 has been as high as number 1 in a given 24 hours a few times. Attm, they sit at #10. It's not all back catalog, either. As I said, individual songs from their entire catalog have been charting globally, especially SFS, Cedarwood Road, California, RBW, EBW, all from SOI.

I can't understand why so many people have been downloading single songs from i-tunes when they have them already. Maybe U2 can use this data for the remaining singles released strategy. EBW has been the top downloaded song, hitting #1 in some countries, followed by SFS, California, and RBW.

Again, this is from i-tunes rolling 24 hour global chart only.

Good to see Miracle still picking up steam. Hopefully that will continue.

That is very interesting about iTunes. Believe it or not, there are still plenty of people who have no idea the album was released for free.

I think their wisest move is to let Miracle flail around for a couple more weeks, while they do their Euro promo.
And then blast into the U.S. with EBW pushed hard to radio, do a few late night stops, and other strategic appearances. Hopefully SNL. And watch EBW get some real chart action.

This song has some real potential. Its SO much better than that Coldplay 'Sky full of Stars" yet I hear that, ALL the time.

Would love to see another "hit" for them. would be cool

This song has some real potential. Its SO much better than that Coldplay 'Sky full of Stars" yet I hear that, ALL the time.

This track should surely be credited to Avicii featuring Chris Martin.
Maybe Bono should provide vocals on a David Guetta or Calvin Harris tune and pass it off as U2

I just heard The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) on the local alternative station. It's a pretty big deal, since it's the first time I've heard on new U2 song on a modern radio station since Vertigo. I heard GOYB once like a year ago on the Classic Rock station here (Northeast PA), but I never heard it on a popular modern radio, nor did I hear it around the time when they released it. So this is a good sign! I never thought I'd hear new U2 on the radio here again :D

Anyway, Mediabase has updated their weekly radio play charts for N.A., and here is the Oct 21 radio play stats for Miracle...

In the U.S.:
Miracle up from 4 to 3 on Adult Rock
Miracle holds at 29 on Mainstream Rock but now w/bullet
Miracle up 3 spots to 27 on Alternative

Miracle holds steady in Canada's top 10 at 8 on the Active Rock Chart
It regains momentum on Canada's Alternative chart, rising from 20 to 17

==================

Oct 28 Mediabase Airplay stats for Miracle:

Miracle still at 3 on Adult Rock w/bullet
Miracle drops from 29 to 43 on Mainstream Rock
Miracle up from 27 to 26 on Alternative (EBW debuts at 46, too)

In Canada, Miracle down from 8 to 9 on Active Rock
Down to 19 on Alternative but still w/bullet (increasing spins)

This song is interesting.

It never took off but it won't die either.

In the USA, it's still #3 on AAA but is no longer gaining spins

On Alternative,it's at #25 and is still gaining spins.

It actually hit the highest number of spins since I've been tracking it yesterday at about 1,075.

That is NOT an impressive number but the fact that 2 months after it was "released" it's still consistently moving along is interestingly.

By contract, Invisible had a peak of ~1600 spins within its first week of release and by the 2 month point was all but off the charts(a couple hundred spins maybe).

Both songs were radio duds in the end, although Invisible did hit #1 on AAA, which was nice.

Up to #2 on the AAA format, #26 on Alternative and #33 on Mainstream Rock with increases in all formats. Overall it has hit its most spins(1,130) and largest audience(5.2 million) today. It's the song that won't die!

Back
Top Bottom