The last rock song to hit no. 1???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly7

The Fly
Does anyone know what the last rock song (in other words, non- Rap/R&B/Pop song) was to hit number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100? It seems like it's been forever. My limited research found Creed - With Arms Wide Open as the last to do it in 2000. If anyone can help me that'd be great...

Btw, will Boulevard of Broken Dreams pull it off? It's at no. 3 right now...

JeffD

show your soul

Wait, scratch Creed, the last I can find is Nickelback - How you remind me in 2001.

Anyone?

Harry Vest said:
The american charts are an atrocity. It's absolutely dispicable what passes as no. 1 hits these days. Rubbish.

Further proof that the mass consumer market for music is populated by idiots. Not just in the US but the world. Stupidity and poor music taste don't discriminate by nationality. The Australian charts are also an embarrassment.

Axver said:

Further proof that the mass consumer market for music is populated by idiots. Not just in the US but the world. Stupidity and poor music taste don't discriminate by nationality. The Australian charts are also an embarrassment.

...which is one of the many reasons U2 wrote an album called Pop, making fun of these consumers. Naturally, the same pop consumers being made fun of didn't really understand the album and that's why it didn't do so well. They'd rather hear the sweet tragic melodies of With or Without You (without understanding them) than bitter criticism. Personally I think the whole pop-culture/ mass-media phenomenon is, as U2 so eloquently put it, "the blind leading the blond".

Unfortunately, the issues of pop-culture are bigger than music and are no longer a laughing matter. There are inevitable political consequences for societies whose individuals focus more on irrelevant introspective details such as Britney Spears' latest meaningless dress down instead of about foreign affairs and the goings on of the real world. For example: Pop-culture is apathetic. Apathy breeds ignorance. Ignorance breeds terror. Terror breeds terror. These phenomena are not unrelated in 'postmodern' social analyses.

This whole situation is a giant paradox, if you ask me... a sick catch-22.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom