The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
God, Phish is so horrible. The fact that they can play that many shows at MSG is absolutely mind-boggling and depressing.

St. Louis show would have took it up to $321ish wouldn't it

GNR have reported $243 million so far in 2017. Theve got 25 arena dates to report yet. If they gross 3 million per show they will top u2

Gun and roses will top it I think, I reckon they will do around the 330 mark so the St. Louis show won't make any difference

Saying that just checking GNR boxscores and their only getting 3 milllion for alot of stadium shows

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

It's going to be very close

Last edited:
St. Louis show would have took it up to $321ish wouldn't it

GNR have reported $243 million so far in 2017. Theve got 25 arena dates to report yet. If they gross 3 million per show they will top u2

Gun and roses will top it I think, I reckon they will do around the 330 mark so the St. Louis show won't make any difference

Saying that just checking GNR boxscores and their only getting 3 milllion for alot of stadium shows

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour

It's going to be very close

I think U2 is gonna pull it off. From what I remember looking a few weeks ago, it seemed that GnR was gonna do about 1.5 million to 1.75 million per arena show. That would bring them only about 40 more million. Well off the mark to surpass U2.

Just noticed the average attendance on the Joshua tree tour is 53,198. That's huge only the 360 tour beats it for the average attendance. So u2 have 1 and 2 in the average attendance record. The stones are 3rd with 51,103.

If they had done the usual 110 date with this tour they would have been looking at around $700 million gross. Huge tour for them again. 12 highest grossing tour of all time off only 51 dates

Just noticed the average attendance on the Joshua tree tour is 53,198. That's huge only the 360 tour beats it for the average attendance. So u2 have 1 and 2 in the average attendance record. The stones are 3rd with 51,103.

If they had done the usual 110 date with this tour they would have been looking at around $700 million gross. Huge tour for them again. 12 highest grossing tour of all time off only 51 dates

Once all the SA box scores come in, you will see that average go up. I would bet the SA leg averaged close to 70k a show.

Once all the SA box scores come in, you will see that average go up. I would bet the SA leg averaged close to 70k a show.

Didn't realise they hadn't been accounted for, thought with the 316 million figure being released that those boxscores had come out. It will defo go up then

Didn't realise they hadn't been accounted for, thought with the 316 million figure being released that those boxscores had come out. It will defo go up then

It is all inclusive. I didn’t realize the 53k was based off of that info, I thought it was off of what was reported by Boxscore so far, which currently excludes SA.

It is all inclusive. I didn’t realize the 53k was based off of that info, I thought it was off of what was reported by Boxscore so far, which currently excludes SA.

Just looked on wiki and they have nothing for the South American shows but an average of 53k so it looks like that will definitely go up

GNR on $243m plus say $7m from their two shows in Mexico = $250m
They therefore need to get $66m+ from 25 arena shows, or to put it another way $2.64m per show. I dont think they can average that amount from 20,000 capacity arenas even with an average higher ticket price than their stadium shows. I think U2 can just about do it, just. The cancelled show would have guarenteed it though.

U2, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Foro Sol Mexico City, Mexico Oct. 3-4, 2017
GROSS: $13,896,378
ATTENDANCE: 117,098 / 117,098
SELLOUTS: 2 / 2
TICKET PRICE: $246.97, $21.95
Live Nation Global Touring/OCESA-CIE

Estadio El Campin Bogota, Colombia Oct. 7, 2017
GROSS: $6,449,019
ATTENDANCE: 39,272 / 39,272
SELLOUTS: 1 / 1
TICKET PRICE: $221.47, $81.77
Live Nation Global Touring/OCESA-CIE

Estadio Unico Ciudad de La Plata Buenos Aires, Argentina Oct. 10-11, 2017
GROSS: $11,078,667
ATTENDANCE: 86,466 / 86,466
SELLOUTS: 2 / 2
TICKET PRICE: $200.73, $37.28
Live Nation Global Touring/DG Entertainment

Estadio Nacional Santiago, Chile Oct. 14, 2017
GROSS: $6,146,221
ATTENDANCE: 53,422 / 53,422
SELLOUTS: 1 / 1
TICKET PRICE: $401.27, $62.60
Live Nation Global Touring/DG Medios

Estadio do Morumbi Sao Paulo, Brazil Oct. 19, 21-22, 25, 2017
GROSS: $32,119,163
ATTENDANCE: 278,718 /278,718
SELLOUTS: 4 / 4
TICKET PRICE: $278.12, $40.17
Live Nation Global Touring/Move Concerts/DC Set Group

Great numbers for Brazil and Mexico!

Colombia's number looks low, but it's pretty much in line with other recent concerts at that same stadium by Coldplay and the Rolling Stones. Stadium's capacity is right around 40,000.

Argentina and Chile seem low to me. Coldplay did 2 shows in La Plata last year, and had 97,000, compared to U2's 86,000.

Coldplay had 60,000 in Chile, the Stones and GnR had 62,000, U2 only had 53,000. Back in 2006, U2 also played this stadium and had 77,000 (end stage, not 360). I just wonder if Argentina and Chile failed to meet expectations...

I just don’t think they put a lot of tickets on sale this time around. Sales weren’t soft because most of these shows sold out instantly.

I did notice on the JT tour they didn't sell very many "side view" tickets, like most shows do. It seems like the capacity was lower than normal at most shows.

I just looked at the Wikipedia "Highest Grossing Tours" list and Guns and Roses appears to blow away JT30 by quite a wide margin.

Disappointing.

I just looked at the Wikipedia "Highest Grossing Tours" list and Guns and Roses appears to blow away JT30 by quite a wide margin.

Disappointing.

My guess is you are looking at this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours

But that shows the gross for the ENTIRE tour.

We are talking about the top grossing tour of 2017.

The GnR tour was 2016 and 2017.
JT was only 2017.

That said, its a very good sign that U2 will beat GnR by quite a large margin for the biggest tour of 2017

Disappointing.

Yeah theve grossed 430 million for the combined tour not 2017. Once it's finished it will be the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time I reckon

I added it up once and I'm sure they grossed 230 million up until now. Think there's 25 arena dates to add to the tally

Last edited:
We are talking about the top grossing tour of 2017.

The GnR tour was 2016 and 2017.
JT was only 2017.

That said, its a very good sign that U2 will beat GnR by quite a large margin for the biggest tour of 2017

Yeah theve grossed 430 million for the combined tour not 2017. Once it's finished it will be the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time I reckon

I added it up once and I'm sure they grossed 230 million up until now. Think there's 25 arena dates to add to the tally

And I think it's a safe assumption that if U2 wanted to be the bigger tour overall, they would have toured Europe heavily as well as paid a visit to Australia and New Zealand.

And I think it's a safe assumption that if U2 wanted to be the bigger tour overall, they would have toured Europe heavily as well as paid a visit to Australia and New Zealand.

There's a good chance they will do it anyway. Guns and roses have to gross 3 million plus for the arena shows. A lot of their stadium shows in America grossed 3 million and that's stadium shows

Ugh, that would be so depressing. I think the saving grace might be that about 1/3 of those are festival appearances and they don’t count I believe towards a tour gross. Am I right?

Yeah your right they don't count. Looking at it there on 430 now (I think) they will struggle to reach 500 with the remaining arena dates. So there not going to get near on 300 million with a few stadium dates in Europe

my guess is that maybe U2 won the gross $$$, but by the end of the year GnR has a higher number of tickets sold. So they win "Top Draw"
Probably by small margin.

Back
Top Bottom