The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 won't be playing to 75% full arenas. They'll do whatever is necessary to fill those venues. Just like somebody said, U2 are supposedly the BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD... they're not going to be seen playing to empty seats in ARENAS. I remember up until the day before the show, Chicago 5 in 2015 was not looking very good on the blue maps. I walked into the show expecting to see tarps hung in the upper level. But to my surprise, somehow, they filled that venue. They have their ways.

Edit: Just looked at that map for San Jose 2. They're going to have to do some fancy tricks to fill that show.

Last edited:
San Jose 2 is terrible. Their gonna regret adding a 2nd show there.

Yeah, I can't help but wonder if they should've instead added a show on May 9th in either Sacramento, Portland or Salt Lake. The San Francisco area has been hit a lot lately by U2, and it's not even really a MAJOR market for them.

Are we looking at popmart style sales in America ?? Some shows look terrible

As far as the US, I don't think we're looking at a Popmart scale disaster. And the thing we must remember is that U2 just did a 30 show stadium tour of the US that was very successful. It's just that now the general public want U2 to be a nostalgia act... that's the U2 they want to see. Plus, they're playing mostly the same cities they have already played to death in 2015 and 2017, and charging ridiculously high prices.

Tulsa and St. Louis are looking pretty much what I'd expect them to look like, considering where they are and the high prices. Chicago 2 and LA 2 also have a long way to go. Fortunately for them, they have a long time to try to sell those tickets. I expect Tulsa, St. Louis, Chicago 2 and LA2 will all be full by showtime.

San Jose 2, however, is the one that's probably not going to sell out.

U2 deserves to be playing to empty upper decks at the prices they are charging - not like they need the money. Greed is all it comes down to.

Are we looking at popmart style sales in America ?? Some shows look terrible

Difference is Popmart was in stadiums where the ticket prices were not bad I remember I paid 45 dollars a ticket for Popmart. U2 were "The biggest band in the world" then as well.

U2 deserves to be playing to empty upper decks at the prices they are charging - not like they need the money. Greed is all it comes down to.

Yes, that's ALL it is.. :rolleyes: I'm sure that 5 months away they are worried about playing to empty seats in San Jose :rolleyes: When you're done licking Garth Brooks ***** you might try and consider that U2 are charging exactly what those seats are worth. A U2 show is far and away better than anything Mr. Brooks could offer on his best day. These U2 shows will be presented in arenas with limited seating and superior, well, EVERYTHING.

All the seats will sell, the tour will be a major success, and HATERS like you will once again be silenced. U2 IS the biggest band in the world, for a good reason... they are the best at what they do and they know wtf they are doing.

Yes, that's ALL it is.. :rolleyes: I'm sure that 5 months away they are worried about playing to empty seats in San Jose :rolleyes: When you're done licking Garth Brooks ***** you might try and consider that U2 are charging exactly what those seats are worth. A U2 show is far and away better than anything Mr. Brooks could offer on his best day. These U2 shows will be presented in arenas with limited seating and superior, well, EVERYTHING.

All the seats will sell, the tour will be a major success, and HATERS like you will once again be silenced. U2 IS the biggest band in the world, for a good reason... they are the best at what they do and they know wtf they are doing.

As someone who hadn’t been to a concert in a long time I was shocked at a ticket price of $330. However I looked at other acts in the same venue and saw that Lady Gaga was charging $305. U2 are probably the biggest draw there is so I guess that price isn’t out of line. Still seems too high to me, esp. for seats in the upper concourse, but it appears to be the going rate. And as the scalpers have proven, it is less than what the market will bear.

Holy shit they're charging like $200-$300 for upper deck seats and you think people complaining are just haters? This is maybe one of the worst posts I've seen on this site and that's saying a lot

Really? An arena honestly isn't that much different then a stadium - they are large concrete structures that were not built for music. U2 are the band that can make them work however the prices they are charging for seating where they won't be easy to see and the sound will be questionable at best is unbearable even for the biggest of fan.

Maybe if they were playing venues like Red Rocks I could see them charging big prices for that type of experience but I am afraid they are not.

Unless I get lucky to be in the lower bowl or GA - I will gladly wait for the Blu Ray.

I for one hope that this tour kicks them in balls for the prices they charged and slaps them into reality. Yep, they did really well on a nostalgia tour where they were charging decent prices. They got a lot of old people with disposable cash to come out for a night. Good for them.
Now they've over stepped (yet again) and I actually am happy to see them get set straight. After spending many years defending their ticket prices (since they were always reasonable) they go and fuck it up. bravo

I for one hope that this tour kicks them in balls for the prices they charged and slaps them into reality. Yep, they did really well on a nostalgia tour where they were charging decent prices. They got a lot of old people with disposable cash to come out for a night. Good for them.
Now they've over stepped (yet again) and I actually am happy to see them get set straight. After spending many years defending their ticket prices (since they were always reasonable) they go and fuck it up. bravo

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again......a lot of U2 fans feel that the band is going for the younger crowd with their marketing,appearance and most notably their sound. I’m 100% cool with that as long as the sound is good and I feel they have delivered on that for the most part.

However, you are NOT going to get those new young fans you so eagerly want by charging $330 a ticket. You are more likely to get the corporate type whose boss knows someone and gives them tickets and they sit and text for most of the show.

I have a good amount of disposable income and am a huge U2 fan and I wasn’t willing to shell out $330 ($400 with taxes and fees) each for two tickets.

That now leads me to my current situation.
I have no idea what I am in store for when I go to see U2 at MSG because I bought two $112 tickets in the 3rd tier and Even though they don’t say “obstructed View”, for all I know I’ll be sitting on a fucking bar stool. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I got screwed but no way am I dropping $800 to go see U2 with the wife in “average” 1st or 2nd tier seats.

I have a good amount of disposable income and am a huge U2 fan and I wasn’t willing to shell out $330 ($400 with taxes and fees) each for two tickets.

Yet this is how I get suckered into spending $300 on a upper level seat . . .

So at a Christmas Eve party, a friend (with a business and doing quite well) says "hey I'm going to be in Atlanta on such-and-such a day." So I say "you know, U2 is playing there that week." They say "let's go! get us tickets!"

The only thing available -- my upper limit -- is the Silver VIP for just under $300 a pop. They wouldn't accept obstructed view tickets so that is what I am left with.

I was going to wait for a 2nd show, but it would most likely be on a Wednesday and my friend can't make that one (if it happens)

So . . . this morning I buy two Silver VIP upper level at $300 a pop.

Can they afford it? Easily.

Can I? Well, I shouldn't . . . but every U2 tour since ZOO TV I treat it as a potential last tour. Something could happen to the band, or me, so I try to catch them 2 or 3 times ever since.

I don't mind, they probably won't tour again for a few years, if ever. So I'm not going to complain about the price. Compared to other acts and all things considered it's a fair price.

I do agree with others that it makes it very hard for a younger generation to see them at these prices. But if prices were lower a lot of tickets would end up in the hands of scalpers and they couldn't afford them anyway. Pick your poison.

You act like this is all U2's fault.

Touring is now big business. Decades ago, an artist toured to promote the album or single - that's where the sales were. Often a tour would lose money. Now, tours are HUGE money-makers. And with album sales being what they are, very few make true money from them.

Since tours make money, everyone has their hands out. That includes venues, cities, states, TM, etc. For example, a T-shirt for $50 or more? Really? That gouging is from people who all want a cut of the pie.

Add it all up and suddenly ticket prices soar. U2 have fought to offer cheaper GA tickets to help.

Add it all up and suddenly ticket prices soar. U2 have fought to offer cheaper GA tickets to help.

I remember reading once (I think it was Flanagan's book) that U2 tries to do three things with every tour:

1) keep ticket prices down
2) put on a bigger show than before
3) refuse to take a corporate sponsor

And he points out that you can do 2 of the 3 things and be ok as a touring act. But if you attempt all 3 things you'd better sell out every seat for every show to turn a profit.

That failed miserably for POPMART of course.

I think after that mess, U2 figured things out a bit better.

?

this is clearly the selling plan. it's the new industry standard. Taylor Swift is doing it as well. It'll lead to higher profit margins for the people actually involved in the production, rather than scalpers.

the prices will remain the same and steadily drop. the tour will be sold out officially and the arenas will be extremely close to or at capacity for every stop.

it's another step in stopping scalpers. there's no perfect system. having spent a few years working in a secondary resale company, i can tell you that this certainly hits them harder than any of the verified fan, captcha and fan club stuff.

the bottom line is people are going to bitch no matter what.

people who think the prices are outrageous right now are going to say that the prices are outrageous, U2 should be ashamed, bla bla bla

people who were mad during previous arena tours that the majority of the more affordable seats ended up immediately on StubHub, Vivid or TMResale are going to say that the band aren't doing enough to prevent scalpers, that they're in bed with the secondary market, that it's a farce, bla bla bla.

nothing they can do to win because people are going to profit off of them via resale market. unfortunately that means that sometimes, fans will have to be shrewd and astute enough to get the tickets they want even if it means spending more time doing so. it's 2018.

Had SOE not been a thing, the jt17 tour probably just would’ve continue into Australia and Asia in late 2017 or early 2018 anyway. Metallica’s current tour went from 2016-2020 and still counts as one tour, and this will also

Had SOE not been a thing, the jt17 tour probably just would’ve continue into Australia and Asia in late 2017 or early 2018 anyway. Metallica’s current tour went from 2016-2020 and still counts as one tour, and this will also

Think that makes it about 66 shows all in. Where is that likely to put it on the overall highest grossing tour lists given the likely grossed over these 2019 legs? The 2017 legs were $316m so would the 2019 legs add another $125m say to that figure? Some of the stadiums are a bit smaller on this leg I think. Could land them with a spot at either number 7 or 8 on the all time top grossing tours list, and above the Vertigo tour.

Last edited:
U2 National Stadium - Singapore - Nov. 30, Dec. 1, 2019
GROSS: $12,433,310
ATTENDANCE/CAPACITY: 82,557/82,557
SELLOUTS: 2/2
TICKET PRICES: $269,21, $71,69

U2 Saitama Super Arena - Saitama - Dec. 4-5, 2019
GROSS: $10,343,858
ATTENDANCE/CAPACITY: 43,225/43,225
SELLOUTS: 2/2
TICKET PRICES: $356,41, $71,65

U2 Sydney Cricket Ground - Sydney - Nov. 22-23, 2019