The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't everybody here think Phoenix was going to struggle to pass 35k? Definitely surprised to see it at 42k. Thought Kansas City would crack 40k...

If you count the crew and the venue employees, there was probably over 40,000 in KC!

On Zoo TV they only had 37,000 in that stadium, so they beat their personal record. Popmart only had 23,000! However in 1994 Pink Floyd has 57,000, so there's always room for improvement! Maybe in 2027 on the JT 40th anniversary tour!

Good for San Diego, not bad for KC and Phoenix, and New Orleans... well... it's a lot better than Popmart! :wink:
To be fair, a lot of Louisiana peeps who wanted to see this tour had already done so by the time the N.O. date was even announced (e.g. me teehee)--U2 hasn't made a tour stop here in ages (I wasn't even a fan then :0)! Granted, I did attend this show because I'm obsessed, I certainly wavered a good bit prior to purchasing tickets (despite my fandom, I can't truthfully say it's a tour that warrants repeat attendance... which is kinda to be expected when half your setlist is carved into stone (though I'm still puzzled by the lack of R&H tunes)).

So yeah, even though the attendance appears to have been subpar (not that you could really tell during the show), I'm curious what the numbers would be had New Orleans been announced from the outset.

To be fair, a lot of Louisiana peeps who wanted to see this tour had already done so by the time the N.O. date was even announced (e.g. me teehee)--U2 hasn't made a tour stop here in ages (I wasn't even a fan then :0)! Granted, I did attend this show because I'm obsessed, I certainly wavered a good bit prior to purchasing tickets (despite my fandom, I can't truthfully say it's a tour that warrants repeat attendance... which is kinda to be expected when half your setlist is carved into stone (though I'm still puzzled by the lack of R&H tunes)).

So yeah, even though the attendance appears to have been subpar (not that you could really tell during the show), I'm curious what the numbers would be had New Orleans been announced from the outset.

That whole third leg was kind of a mess and wreaked of afterthought. Kinda wish they would have just moved on to South America instead of doing it. They could have been wrapped up by now and on to promoting the new album.

Will this tour be the top tour of the year or will Coldplay or maybe even guns n roses top it?

hmmm.. I'm having a tough time getting solid boxscore numbers for Guns n Roses 2017 dates. Anyone have a good source they could share?

Maybe that was the reason for the additional US dates on this 3rd leg?!

Thought crossed my mind back when the 3rd leg was announced.

I wonder how much losing out on the 4 mil from the cancelled St Louis date will hurt? Could be a tight finish for 1st place and that money might make the difference for the #1 spot.

Also have wondered if that will be the deciding factor on whether they perform Australia or not, but from what I gather, Australia is not in the mix for this tour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour#Tour_dates

The citations are third-party archived versions of Billboard Boxscores, as it appears they aren't kept by Billboard themselves beyond what is current.

Yeah, i saw that and was kind of confused. No numbers for Europe, yet it seems those somehow must be calculated into the total... or not, i'm not sure. Also looks like they are moving to arenas for the last leg.
Either way, it looks like it will probably top U2's.

Yeah, i saw that and was kind of confused. No numbers for Europe, yet it seems those somehow must be calculated into the total... or not, i'm not sure. Also looks like they are moving to arenas for the last leg.
Either way, it looks like it will probably top U2's.

Meanwhile, this reminded me that GNR got 73k in Melbourne for one show. U2's only shows on the current tour to beat this figure are 81k in Dublin and 155k across two shows in Saint-Denis. :waiting:

If we're talking about gross though, how much was a gun n roses ticket? Are they as expensive as the u2 top tickets?

Last edited:
thanks SuperYO. Most interesting thing was how far back Coldplay was. I was thinking U2 would be in a close battle with both GnR and Coldplay for number 1.

I know U2 will finish strong with the shows in Q4 (thats October thru December right?)

So if GnR has 20 arena shows, they will probably bring in about 35 million. And U2's 10 stadium shows will bring in about 70 to 80 million.

It will be interesting to see who ends up on top at the end...

thanks SuperYO. Most interesting thing was how far back Coldplay was. I was thinking U2 would be in a close battle with both GnR and Coldplay for number 1.

I know U2 will finish strong with the shows in Q4 (thats October thru December right?)

So if GnR has 20 arena shows, they will probably bring in about 35 million. And U2's 10 stadium shows will bring in about 70 to 80 million.

It will be interesting to see who ends up on top at the end...

Gonna be tight between the 3 in the end I reckon. Coldplay have played a few stadiums that haven't been reported yet

How many gigs have Coldplay and guns n roses done this year compared to U2's 51?

Last edited:
Coldplay have played 52 gigs this year with 5 more to come. So 57 in total. They have so far grossed 247,708,735. Which is more or less exactly the same what u2 have grossed from 41 shows. U2 have 10 more shows to report Coldplay 5. So u2 will 100% finish above Coldplay playing less shows

Looks like coldplay will have about 57 2017 dates
Looks like GnR have 57 stadium dates and 20 arena dates...

So yeah. gonna be really close.

I think Coldplay will be third,

And heres the quick math.

U2 makes about 1.2 million more per show than GnR. Over 51 dates, that's 61 million dollars more in U2's column.

BUT

GnR plays 6 more stadiums at almost 5 mill a piece = 28-30 million
Then 20 arena dates bringing in about 30-35 million
Giving them somewhere around 58 to 65 million total..

Giving them even to slightly better odds at hitting number 1 than U2.

There's gonna be a few million in it either way between gnr and u2. Coldplay are out the running and will be 3rd.

The one cancelled date could cost u2

Gnr have grossed 224 million in 2017, there's 2 more stadium gigs to add and also 25 arena gigs.

U2 have 247 million reported and 11 more to be reported so there gonna do around 310 I reckon

Think gnr will do 300 plus so it's going to be very close

I would expect the results for U2s Mexico/SA leg to be better than any other leg so far. The attendance and gross should be above the average, not by much, but I would expect closer to $7 million a show

Theve won top boxscore for 2017. The Paris shows beat GNR in London and also the other act nominated,completely forgot who that is.

Will these South American dates count in the billboard award?im presuming we've passed the cut off point ?

Theve won top boxscore for 2017. The Paris shows beat GNR in London and also the other act nominated,completely forgot who that is.

Will these South American dates count in the billboard award?im presuming we've passed the cut off point ?

Yes, the cut off is usually the first week of November.

some band called Phish, that i had not heard of before. Just had a look on Google and if the article was correct then apparently they played a 13 night residency at madison square garden! U2 played 8 sell-out nights at MSG on the I&E Tour to 150,000 people. If Phish get even half full shows, that'll be an attendance of 130,000. You would have to suspect that they would be nearing sell-outs or they wouldnt have done so many dates, so if we say 3/4 full thats 180,000 vs U2's 80,000 at Stade De France, even if for argments sake their ticket prices were half of U2's they still win this award with ease.

U2 played 8 sell-out nights at MSG on the I&E Tour to 150,000 people. If Phish get even half full shows, that'll be an attendance of 130,000. You would have to suspect that they would be nearing sell-outs or they wouldnt have done so many dates, so if we say 3/4 full thats 180,000 vs U2's 80,000 at Stade De France, even if for argments sake their ticket prices were half of U2's they still win this award with ease.

One wonders if the cancelled St Louis show will be a factor.

That would have made 4-5 mil I'm guessing.

some band called Phish, that i had not heard of before. Just had a look on Google and if the article was correct then apparently they played a 13 night residency at madison square garden! U2 played 8 sell-out nights at MSG on the I&E Tour to 150,000 people. If Phish get even half full shows, that'll be an attendance of 130,000. You would have to suspect that they would be nearing sell-outs or they wouldnt have done so many dates, so if we say 3/4 full thats 180,000 vs U2's 80,000 at Stade De France, even if for argments sake their ticket prices were half of U2's they still win this award with ease.

U2 France shows grossed $17,277,631

GNR London shows did $17,171,304

Phish did $15,041,405

Back
Top Bottom