the Grammys and sales...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shutdown

The Fly
The success at the Grammys for "Beautiful Day" did a lot for ATYCLB sales the weeks following.

However, with Vertigo being nominated in only the Rock performance and Rock song categories, I highly doubt it will do much for "Bomb."

I am not even sure both of these categories are even broadcast. I feel as though only one of these generally is broadcast.

I believe that it is going take some major airplay of future singles or the tour is going to have to get massive coverage from the press in order to help provide the "legs" that ATYCLB had.

Thoughts ? Notes ? Arguments ? Additions ?

If U2 performs on the Grammys, and wins one, I think that would help. But, the tour itself will help the album grow legs.

KUEFC09U2 said:
thought they were nominated for 3?

Yes, but the 3rd one is for video which I am almost positive they do not hand out during the broadcast. I kind of think it is one of those categories that no one gets too excited about.

"Beautiful Day" won TWO of the BIG THREE awards ! Best Song and Best Record as well as peforming on the Grammys. The difference between the two big categories they won with BD and the 2 songs categories they are nominated in with Vertigo is rather large.

Last edited:
Another issue is the stout competition in the categories "Vertigo" was nominated for. "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand and "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers are both EXTREMELY popular.

I hope U2 gets to perform. Their live presence is a lot stronger than The Killers, I'd think. I saw them doing their hit on TV and it seemed flat.

If U2 perform, they won't be a "featured" artist like they were in 2001 and 2002. For both of those years, they were nominated for the biggest awards. I'm not even sure the "best rock song" category is shown on the Grammy awards! If I recall, in 2002, the rock song category was handed out pre-show. As such, I doubt U2 will see any Grammy sales push, even if they win.

I am pretty certain U2 will perform Vertigo - they will want to for obvious reasons (promote the tour, albums, prime time TV etc...) and so will the Grammy/TV guys. With BD, the week after it won song/record of the year, I think it garnered another 30k in sales alone, plus flow on effects in later weeks so it may have added another 60-70k in sales.

If they do perform and they win an award, they could maybe get half this increase.

What I am really interested in is the 2006 Grammy awards - these will be the big ones to watch. If one of their singles (eg Sometimes) takes out one of the big song/record awards, plus they finally win album of the year (they were robbed for AB and ATYCLB) they scoop something like 6 or 7 grammys and really own the show. Added to that a live performance, this will add more to sales than even ATYCLB did in 01 or 02.

Time will tell I guess.

U2 were definitely robbed for "Album of the Year" with AB and ATYCLB. I wasn't into the awards aspect of U2 back in 1992/93, so I didn't really care about AB's loss. But in 2002, when ATYCLB lost, I was intrigued. I bought the soundtrack to "O Brother Where Art Thou" - the album that won "Album of the Year". My God, what a pile of crap! I tried and tried and tried again to enjoy it - but I couldn't. It wasn't about U2 losing - they won 7 Grammy awards for ATYCLB, including back-to-back "Record of the Year" awards. That's more than enough. So I wasn't bitter. I just couldn't enjoy that soundtrack no matter what.

But going back to the topic, which is the 2005 awards shows - while U2 might want to perform and maybe the Grammy TV people might want U2 to perform, in the recent past, the "best rock song" awards were not televised. If they are this year, it's because of U2. But I'm not holding my breath. Given that the tour will be just starting then, U2 might not have time to perform at the award show. And again, given that past years these awards weren't broadcast, I don't envision U2 performing.

Furthermore, I really doubt that all these awards are quite as "secret" as they make us believe. If U2 aren't at the awards ceremony, I can guarantee you they didn't win anything. However, if U2 won something, I bet they'll be there.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rock awards usually aren't even aired.....so an actual performance is probably the only thing that will really help the band's sales from the Grammys.

If I recall at the 2002 Grammys, didn't the band Train perform their nominated song "Drops of Jupiter"? They ended up winning the Best Rock Song award, which was televised right after they performed. Both Walk On and Elevation were nominated in the same category.

MacFly2 said:
If I recall at the 2002 Grammys, didn't the band Train perform their nominated song "Drops of Jupiter"? They ended up winning the Best Rock Song award, which was televised right after they performed. Both Walk On and Elevation were nominated in the same category.

Yes, but I believe that they were playing because the song was also nominated for Song of the Year. All Song of the Year nominees perform that song during the show.

The Best Rock Song of the Year is almost never televised, but the Best Rock Song by A Duo Or Group is usually always televised from what I have seen.

The rock category awards get rotated with other "minor" awards from year to year as to what gets televised. I don't how many years are in that rotation, but I am sure in 2003 all the rock awards were handed out pre-telecast. U2 performing is a given.

Back
Top Bottom