The Blackout performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macawaca

War Child
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

73,000 likes/reacts
30,500 shares

All in under 18 hours. Great effort for a band in their late 50s supposedly past it. Imagine the Rolling Stones getting that reaction for a new track.

Approaching 2m views now as well, and its only been out there for 17 hours. Is that good these days? Really hard to gauge how things compare these days!?

Anyone willing to have a stab at how well or otherwise it seems to be doing?

Taylor swift had 41m views of new single in first 24 hrs apparently. Different crowd but an interesting comparison point. Believe u2 hit 2.4m in first 24 hrs.

Ok, i can't seem to find any relatable FB video stream info. So to put it in some perspective, Taylor Swift, who gets billions of views on Youtube - Broke the record on Spotify for the most streams in 24 hours. That was 8 million.

So U2 getting almost 2.5 on Facebook in 24 hours seems pretty respectable.

Update - They are closing in on 4.2 million views in 46 hours. So nearly 4.5 million in 48 hours. Again, not too shabby...

Not bad at all. Doing a Facebook Live was also a smart move, because this is the social media platform where they have the largest amount of followers (17 million).

They seem to be clocking around 7 to 8 thousand views every 5 minutes. This is 47 hours in, and still getting attention. Pretty smart for sure. And they had to keep the Blackout contained to one medium so they wouldn't end up competing with TBT a week later. Tricky, but i believe successful.

So it hit almost 4.3 million in 48 hours. That's around 90,000 people per hour. And that pace has only slowed slightly at this point. Pretty cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

73,000 likes/reacts
30,500 shares

All in under 18 hours. Great effort for a band in their late 50s supposedly past it. Imagine the Rolling Stones getting that reaction for a new track.

Approaching 2m views now as well, and its only been out there for 17 hours. Is that good these days? Really hard to gauge how things compare these days!?

Anyone willing to have a stab at how well or otherwise it seems to be doing?

Now at

106,000 likes/reacts
39.2k shares
4.3 million views

views are still going at a pace of 80,000 per hour.
Can't see how they could not be pleased with this...

6.4 million now

So I know "You Tube" views and what's considered good for U2 and what's considered good over all but Facebook views...not too sure.

Recent U2 album tracks on YouTube:

Boots: 4 million

Magnificent: 30 million (good result for U2 even if it's been 8 years)

Crazy tonight: 6 million

The Miracle: 6 million

Every breaking Wave: 14 million (good result for U2 in "just" 3 years)

Song for someone: 6 million

The thing with Facebook is ALL views are pushed to this medium vs being on YouTube in x versions. However, I think it's safe to say YouTube is more popular and a video on that platform will have an advantage vs a personal Facebook page (although it's been shared 40k time....brilliant free marketing )

Assuming all things are equal(although I give the edge ;) to YouTube platform) I would say that 6.4 million Facebook views 4 days post release is amazing for U2.

It's already blown away Boots and matched The Miracle and Song for someone's 3 year result as well as Crazys 8 year result.

Lastly, consider that this result is WITHOUT a radio single!! So no one is hearing this on the radio and saying, "let me look that up", they are are only able to find it on a single platform (although Twitter and Instagram mention the single too but don't think they have the video).

Perhaps most impressive is what I observe to be overwhelming positive feedback. That's not to say I haven't read my fair share of poor reviews of the song but I would say 7 of 10 have neutral to positive feedback on an inferior version of the song (crowd noise and not "iTunes" or "digital" quality)

view counter is no longer available on the video. oh well, we know it did quite well.

I still see it. It's at 10.4 million views.

I read that Facebook counts a "view" as anything that plays for 3 seconds, which is significantly shorter than YouTubes 30 second rule for counting.

Even considering that U2 is pushing this as the only source and it shows up as a sponsored video sometimes(i.e. Bumping it to the top of your feed) you could argue that it's like a commercial or advertisement and people might get interested.

With that said, the shares of the video are approaching 50k, which might be a better indicator of the reception(also the number of likes is over 100k)

Back
Top Bottom