The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The song that will not die!

Triple A: #5
Spins: 536
AI: 1.462 million

Hot AC: # 16 (ties its peak position)
Spins: 1,861
AI: 9.872 million (peak number)

Active Rock: #50
Spins: 45
AI: 0.38 million

Total Spins: 2,442
Total AI: 11.71 million

US Radio Rank: #143 (off 5 spots from its peak)

Cheers Cosmo,

Any idea what the total peak AI would have been if it had peaked on all formats simultaneously? probably a truer measure of its overall success...

Taking all of its peaks into account:

Spins: 3,602
AI: 15.51

Amazing! Which makes me wonder why they didn’t play it on SNL.

Cosmo, assuming Get Out is the 2nd single (even though that still hasn’t been officially announced), I’m curious as to which song you think should be next single released to radio? I think Love is Bigger has to be a single.

Amazing! Which makes me wonder why they didn’t play it on SNL.

Cosmo, assuming Get Out is the 2nd single (even though that still hasn’t been officially announced), I’m curious as to which song you think should be next single released to radio? I think Love is Bigger has to be a single.

Love is Bigger than Anything in its Way should be the next single. The song is not just built for radio but it’s genuinely a great song. It should be tied in with a movie or something that’s how accessible it is. I also think that Summer of Love will be a single come spring time(as it should be).

After those two...Black Out!

What about The Little Things that Give You Away? That’s the best song on the album IMO, and in the opinion of most fans according to a poll I saw on another forum. Is it not radio friendly or something?

Blackout, lights of home, summer of love, red flag day, little things that give you away and the showman could all have been singles in my opinion and are all better then best thing, get out of your own way and American soul

Blackout, lights of home, summer of love, red flag day, little things that give you away and the showman could all have been singles in my opinion and are all better then best thing, get out of your own way and American soul

This... Little Things would have worked great on SNL and opening single IMHO

Billboard

TBT up one spot to 16 on Adult Pop
TBT up four spots to 18 on Hot Rock Songs
TBT at 5 on Adult Alternative; GOOYOW is Hot-shot debut at 34

Triple A: #6
Spins: 479
AI: 1.405 million

Spins: 1,924 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.214 million (peak AI)

Total Spins: 2,403
Total AI: 11.62 million

US Radio Rank: #142 (off 4 spots from its peak)

Triple A: #6
Spins: 479
AI: 1.405 million

Spins: 1,924 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.214 million (peak AI)

Total Spins: 2,403
Total AI: 11.62 million

US Radio Rank: #142 (off 4 spots from its peak)

Triple A: #7
Spins: 426
AI: 1.348million

Spins: 1,959 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.615 million (peak AI)
Adds: 1 new station Add (Pittsburgh)
Spincrease: 214 (11th most)

Total Spins: 2,385
Total AI: 11.96 million

US Radio Rank: #138 (ties its peak)

Triple A: #7
Spins: 426
AI: 1.348million

Spins: 1,959 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.615 million (peak AI)
Adds: 1 new station Add (Pittsburgh)
Spincrease: 214 (11th most)

Total Spins: 2,385
Total AI: 11.96 million

US Radio Rank: #138 (ties its peak)

So not only is this song not dying but its actually surging on Hot AC!

Triple A: #10
Spins: 403
AI: 1.294 million

Spins: 2,006 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.948 million (peak AI)
Spincrease: 332 (7th most)

Total Spins: 2,409
Total AI: 12.24 million (only 0.14 million off its peak)

US Radio Rank: #132 ( peak position)

So Best Thing first charted in the top 50 of any format 93 days ago and on its 93rd day, it hits a peak position on the over all US radio charts. While it is surging on Hot AC, I can't imagine it has much longer to go given both EBW and SFS peaked on day number ~105. So, it might have about 2 weeks of life left but in that time, it might very well set several new "peaks" in both AI and overall US Radio rankings.

I am not saying this song is a "hit" but there is no denying that it has performed solidly on the US Radio charts. Its been consistently in the top 150 most played songs and has had over 10 million AI for 66 consecutive days. This song is not the "disaster" some would have you believe it was and depending on how then next 2-3 weeks go, it might actually get close to the top 100 most played songs (that might be a stretch but fuck it....hope it makes run). :wave:

So not only is this song not dying but its actually surging on Hot AC!

Triple A: #10
Spins: 403
AI: 1.294 million

Spins: 2,006 (Peak spins)
AI: 10.948 million (peak AI)
Spincrease: 332 (7th most)

Total AI: 12.24 million (only 0.14 million off its peak)

US Radio Rank: #132 ( peak position)

So Best Thing first charted in the top 50 of any format 93 days ago and on its 93rd day, it hits a peak position on the over all US radio charts. While it is surging on Hot AC, I can't imagine it has much longer to go given both EBW and SFS peaked on day number ~105. So, it might have about 2 weeks of life left but in that time, it might very well set several new "peaks" in both AI and overall US Radio rankings.

I am not saying this song is a "hit" but there is no denying that it has performed solidly on the US Radio charts. Its been consistently in the top 150 most played songs and has had over 10 million AI for 66 consecutive days. This song is not the "disaster" some would have you believe it was and depending on how then next 2-3 weeks go, it might actually get close to the top 100 most played songs (that might be a stretch but fuck it....hope it makes run). :wave:

Triple A: #14
Spins: 382
AI: 1.282 million

Hot AC: # 15 (NEW peak position)
Spins: 2,027 (NEW peak spins)
AI: 11.012 million (NEW peak AI)
Spincrease: 340 (6th most)

Total AI: 12.29 million (only 0.09 million off its peak)

US Radio Rank: #131 ( NEW peak position)

Pretty good stuff from TBT honestly, didn't think it'd have these sorts of legs.

Spins: 382
AI: 1.282 million

Hot AC: # 15 (NEW peak position)
Spins: 2,027 (NEW peak spins)
AI: 11.012 million (NEW peak AI)
Spincrease: 340 (6th most)

Total AI: 12.29 million (only 0.09 million off its peak)

US Radio Rank: #131 ( NEW peak position)

Talk about a slow burn.....in its 95th day since first entering any top 50 radio format chart, You're the Best Thing About Me has hit a new peak AI.

Spins: 369
AI: 1.26 million

Hot AC: # 15 (ties peak position)
Spins: 2,069 (NEW peak spins)
AI: 11.38 million (NEW peak AI)
Spincrease chart: 377 (3rd most)

Total Spins: 2,438
Total AI: 12.64 million (New peak for total AI)

US Radio Rank: #128 ( NEW peak position)

I don't know how much longer it has on the HOT AC chart as its been in the top 50 for 92 days but given SFS and EBW peaked at ~ day 105, it should have at least 2 weeks left. The thing is at the moment it is surging as each day over the past week its gone up more and more on the spincrease chart. I still hold on to the possibility that the song will be pushed on the AC format after the holidays assuming its still in the top 15 or better on Hot AC. I say that because on a normal chart week (non-holiday) ~95% of the songs in the top 15 of the Hot AC chart are also in the top 50 of the AC chart....95%!!! I refuse to believe that U2 and specifically TBT are the 1 out of 15 songs NOT on the AC chart. You can say TBT is a crap song, its pop at its worst, its the "Blurst Thing" , AC is a terrible format but at the end of the day....its a song that is built for AC.

The other thing is Top 40 radio (POP Charts). Typically, 80% of the the songs in the Top 15 of the Hot AC chart are in the Top 50 of the Pop charts. Now I am more likely to believe that the old guys in U2 are going to be one of the 3 out of 15 that do not hit the top 50 of the Pop Charts (i.e. the 20%) but the fact remains that its not impossible for this song to somehow cross over.

Lastly, the official video for TBT has hit 7 million views. While that is nothing special in general, for U2 it is special considering it did it in only ~2 1/2 months. It will likely slow down a bit once the official video for "Get Out of Your Own Way" is released but I fully expect this to keep chugging along in views as its getting decent radio play and then of course the tour will kick off down the road a bit.

Talk about a slow burn.....in its 95th day since first entering any top 50 radio format chart, You're the Best Thing About Me has hit a new peak AI.

I don't know how much longer it has on the HOT AC chart as its been in the top 50 for 92 days but given SFS and EBW peaked at ~ day 105, it should have at least 2 weeks left. The thing is at the moment it is surging as each day over the past week its gone up more and more on the spincrease chart. I still hold on to the possibility that the song will be pushed on the AC format after the holidays assuming its still in the top 15 or better on Hot AC. I say that because on a normal chart week (non-holiday) ~95% of the songs in the top 15 of the Hot AC chart are also in the top 50 of the AC chart....95%!!! I refuse to believe that U2 and specifically TBT are the 1 out of 15 songs NOT on the AC chart. You can say TBT is a crap song, its pop at its worst, its the "Blurst Thing" , AC is a terrible format but at the end of the day....its a song that is built for AC.

The other thing is Top 40 radio (POP Charts). Typically, 80% of the the songs in the Top 15 of the Hot AC chart are in the Top 50 of the Pop charts. Now I am more likely to believe that the old guys in U2 are going to be one of the 3 out of 15 that do not hit the top 50 of the Pop Charts (i.e. the 20%) but the fact remains that its not impossible for this song to somehow cross over.

Lastly, the official video for TBT has hit 7 million views. While that is nothing special in general, for U2 it is special considering it did it in only ~2 1/2 months. It will likely slow down a bit once the official video for "Get Out of Your Own Way" is released but I fully expect this to keep chugging along in views as its getting decent radio play and then of course the tour will kick off down the road a bit.

As always, thanks for the update Cosmo! Loving it.

TBT rises from 18 to 10 on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs.

Reverses what looked like one last week on the chart. BB shows it at #16 on "Adult Pop", or HAC, but as of today, looking at ALL stations, it has reached #14 with new AI and Spin peaks.

Took a look at the global album chart and decided to see if GOOYOW was being played outside of the U.S. It is in rotation, but actually TBT is moving back up the charts in several other countries.

In France it rises 33 spots to #31 on their Hot 100
It re-enters the Hot 100 for Italy at # 85
Debuts @ #11 on Croatia Top 30 chart

Many of the country charts (in Europe & Asia) update Thursday. TBT should re-enter the Euro 200 regardless on the back of those 3 charts,

Last edited:

And the march continues on US Radio! You're the Best Thing About Me has hit a new peak AI!

Triple A: #16
Spins: 321
AI: 1.091 million

Spins: 2,108 (NEW peak spins)
AI: 11.907 million (NEW peak AI)
Spincrease chart: 379(6th most)

Total Spins: 2,429
Total AI: 13.00 million (New peak for total AI)

US Radio Rank: #125 ( NEW peak position)

Pretty cool that it has made the top 125 on US Radio based on audience impressions. Oh, and fun fact....You're the Best Thing About Me is on the "Spincrease" chart for the Dance format with 27 spins from 1 station (not sure which one)....lol

Last edited:
Any updates on how it is going?

In its 100th day since first charting in the top 50 of any major radio format:

Hot AC: # 15 (Peak position)
Spins: 2,129 (NEW Peak spins)
AI: 12.188 (NEW Peak AI)
Spincrease chart: 251 new spins w/w (10th most)

Triple A: #17
Spins:298
AI: 0.984

Total Spins: 2,427
Total AI: 13.17 million (NEW Peak AI)

US Radio Ranking: #122 (NEW Peak Position)

Back
Top Bottom