The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the song isn't dead yet? I'm hoping. Also hoping against hope that it shows up on AC again and pushed it toward the top 100.

I haven't updated in a while because there haven't been too many "good" developments worth posting about but Ive been watching YTBTAM and while it looks like it is dying, I don think it is just yet.

Total Spins*: 2,765 (Peak 3,088 on 10/25)
Total AI*: 12.38 million (Peak 12.38 on 11/13)
US Radio Rank: #141 (Peak 141 on 11/13)
*counts only the published Top 50 charts and not the full top 200+ chart

Hot AC: #18 (Peak Position #18)
-1,672 Spins, which is down 64 spins from its pen on 11/6
-8.571 million AI, which is down 0.25 million AI from its peak on 11/8

AC: Not Charting

Alternative: #38 (Peak Position #20)
-348 spins
-1.179 million AI

Active Rock: #48 (Peak Position #41)
-89 spins
-.508 million AI

Triple A: #2 (Peak Position #1)
-656 spins
-2.118 million AI

Commentary:

Is the song dead? No
Is the song dying? No (not just yet at least)

Alternative its dying and fast. It will possibly make a slight rebound with the radio promo that they are doing for the listening sessions but it is for the most part done on this formate.

Active Rock it is just about dead. It made a big jump today to re-enter the Top 50 and I believe that is directly related to the promo that U2 is doing for the album listening sessions. When I look at the stations that drove the jump, its primary 1 station in Baltimore that accounts for the re-entry.

Triple A it is dying but a slow death as this song was a huge hit on this format. Yes its a very small format but its U2's format and YTBTAM dominated and it hit so high in spins and AI that it can only go down from here.

AC or as I call it WTFAC it is not dead as it never had life but perhaps that means it has not yet been born. It is being played on stations and is likely in the Top 60 but I don't know how or why it hasn't crossed over on to this format. It is as if U2's label purposely held it back. If you go to Wikipedia (yes, its not the bible but its what we have) it indicates that it was delivered to Hot AC on 9/27…it does not mention AC.

Hot AC remains the last glimmer of hope for YTBTAM. Its easy to look at the numbers and conclude that its dying:
-Down over 60 spins from its peak
-Down 250k AI from its peak
-11/13 was the first day that it was down week over week in 64 charting days

So why the fuck is Cosmo still annoyingly optimistic? Well, consider these reasons (you may call them excuses but lets enjoy our time with YTBTAM while we have it):

-11/13, its 67th day on the radio charts, it hits a peak position of #141 on US radio

-The official YTBTAM video on YouTube has seen a resurgence since about 11/4. The video was getting anywhere from ~50k to 85k views a day over the past few weeks. It was fairly steady but not gaining any traction at all. Since 11/4, it has been getting anywhere from 110k to 140k views per day (nearly doubled) and this is likely due to the increased marketing on social media as well as the promotional tour exposure which started around that time. While these view counts are still small, this is a significant detail because it means that their marketing its making a difference (even if its a small one). The video currently stands at 4.6 million views and will hit 5 million by the end of the week. Not earth shattering but for a new U2 video and the second one that was released nearly 3 weeks after the first….thats solid.

-11/13, its 64th day on the chart, it hits a peak position of #18
-While there are two songs directly behind it on the charts that will pass it out within a week, there are 2 songs above it that it will likely pass out in a week and 4 songs directly above it are all declining and if YTBTAM can get some footing, it can see a jump on its chart position
-One reason (or excuse depending on your view) for the decline of YTBTAM is likely Taylor Swift. She released her album on 11/10 and Hot AC stations are playing every song on the album to some extent(you see this all the time, Foo Fighters had there whole album getting spins on Alternative and Active Rock when it came out and U2 will be all over Triple A). But just how much play is Taylor getting? 700 spins on the "spin crease" chart from 13 songs….those 700 spins are taking away from other songs and U2 is likely one of the victims (~25 year old super pop star vs ~55 year old rock stars…hmmmmm who to play to get people to listen to our station). The good news is, this "Taylor" effect will wear off in a few days or a week and I hope to see U2 get some momentum on Hot AC again.

-U2 promotional extravaganza is coming to the US and it will likely gain them radio attention. We have: LA album listening session, NYC album listening session, AMA awards where U2 is NOT confirmed to perform but they might, the Experience and Innocence Tour goes on sale, rumored SNL performance on 12/2 and there are likely more promo's lined up such as late night talk shows. All of these confirmed/rumored things will likely get U2 a lot of attention and hopefully translate to a bump on radio play for them.

I have said this before but 80% of the Top 20 Hot AC songs are also charting on the AC format and 70% of the Top 20 Hot AC songs are charting on the Pop (Top 40 ) format. The higher you go on the Hot AC chart, the % of songs charting rises on both AC and Pop, so the if YTBTAM can take off on Hot AC, it still has a chance to break out. I will admit that window is narrow but its a window nevertheless.

If I were to grade the performance thus far:

Hot 100: F (didn't come close to charting)

Hot AC: B- (top 20 is solid)

AC: D- (charted in the top 50 for 1 day)

Active Rock: D (hit #41 and was on the chart for a few weeks)

Triple A: A+ (hit #1 for 11 days and top 2 for 20 days)

US Radio Play Performance: C (in the top 150 isn't great, isn't good, its…okay/decent)

That's cool that it is on the radio there. It does seem like U2 just giving the UK some attention lately, that radio is actually playing a non official single. That's pretty impressive. That sort of thing doesn't really happen in the US.

For what it is worth, Get out of Your Own Way is on the Triple A spin crease chart in the US with 14 spins from 3 stations.

For what it is worth, Get out of Your Own Way is on the Triple A spin crease chart in the US with 14 spins from 3 stations.

wonder when Get Out is going to actually be released as a single?? Or if it will be at all. Would actually make sense for them to release the album and the new single with video on the same day. That way it gets a ton of attention and streams and views that first week, adding a bit to the album sales equivalent totals.

On Billboard

TBT stays at 18 on Adult Pop chart,
down to #39 on Alternative
up to 15 on rock!
up to 16 on rock airplay!
and stayed at number one for SIXTH week on AAA!

On Billboard

TBT stays at 18 on Adult Pop chart,
down to #39 on Alternative
up to 15 on rock!
up to 16 on rock airplay!
and stayed at number one for SIXTH week on AAA!

Not bad!

Another thing I notices today on kworb is that it stayed at #18 on HAC under "Published" and lost a few spins, but under "All Stations" it was UP to #16 and had added something like 60 spins! Does anyone know what the difference is between these two metrics? Someone may have explained it before, but I couldn't find it.

Anybody know if top 40 spin increases still happening ? They briefly made the spincrease chart for all stations.

Anybody know if top 40 spin increases still happening ? They briefly made the spincrease chart for all stations.

They haven't been on the spincrease chart for top 40 in a while. They are getting airplay on that format but obviously not enough to chart in the top 50. If I had to guess, they are likely in or close to the top 100.

As I had hoped, Taylor Swifts new songs are starting to drop a little and U2 has started to rise again on Hot AC. They are still off their high in spins and AI but they are at a peak position of #17 on the Hot AC chart.

I still feel that their label, for whatever reason, did not release this song to AC but I have hope that'll will chart and possibly cross over onto the pop charts (it's a long shot but not out of the question).

Additionally, while their total AI fell to a little over 12 million, they jumped on the overall US Radio chart to #140, which ties their peak position.

Their YouTube video for YATBTAM continues to consistently get about 125k views a day, which is about twice as much as it was getting in October and the very beginning of November. It's at 5 million views and will hit 6 million by next week. I would estimate that by the time the Album is released, it will be close to 8 million views given the additional promo that will be going on. That's a very solid number for U2 in only 2 months.

As I had hoped, Taylor Swifts new songs are starting to drop a little and U2 has started to rise again on Hot AC. They are still off their high in spins and AI but they are at a peak position of #17 on the Hot AC chart.

I still feel that their label, for whatever reason, did not release this song to AC but I have hope that'll will chart and possibly cross over onto the pop charts (it's a long shot but not out of the question).

Additionally, while their total AI fell to a little over 12 million, they jumped on the overall US Radio chart to #140, which ties their peak position.

Their YouTube video for YATBTAM continues to consistently get about 125k views a day, which is about twice as much as it was getting in October and the very beginning of November. It's at 5 million views and will hit 6 million by next week. I would estimate that by the time the Album is released, it will be close to 8 million views given the additional promo that will be going on. That's a very solid number for U2 in only 2 months.

The song still has legs! Thanks for the update.

The song still has legs! Thanks for the update.

Yes it does.

The song hits a peak position today on the US Radio charts at 138!
It also maintains at #2 on Triple A and #17 on Hot AC. With regard to that all important Hot AC format, TBT is on the Spincrease chart up 97 week over week (it fell off a week ago and just a few days ago showed up again on this chart).

It is also still on the Active Rock chart at #49 and Alternative at #46. The reality is that it will fall off both of these charts in less than a week.

The real question is if it can keep gaining on Hot AC and finally cross over onto AC and then maybe the pop charts.......with the US promo push beginning next week, we will see!

Yes it does.

The song hits a peak position today on the US Radio charts at 138!
It also maintains at #2 on Triple A and #17 on Hot AC. With regard to that all important Hot AC format, TBT is on the Spincrease chart up 97 week over week (it fell off a week ago and just a few days ago showed up again on this chart).

It is also still on the Active Rock chart at #49 and Alternative at #46. The reality is that it will fall off both of these charts in less than a week.

The real question is if it can keep gaining on Hot AC and finally cross over onto AC and then maybe the pop charts.......with the US promo push beginning next week, we will see!

Still looking good! The US promo tour will certainly help. We also know the band thinks it still has legs or they likely would have released a 2nd single by now.

I cant understand whats going on with the second single, it would seem like now is the perfect time to release it with only 2 weeks before the album comes out. I havent heard it once in the UK, not on Radio 2 nor local radio.

I cant understand whats going on with the second single, it would seem like now is the perfect time to release it with only 2 weeks before the album comes out. I havent heard it once in the UK, not on Radio 2 nor local radio.

I've heard it a lot on virgin and absolute radio

But remember guys. Get Out, is not a single. It was never sent to radio, so just the fact that stations in the UK are playing the song is kinda a big deal.

As we know now, American Soul is the second official single. So we'll see how that one does here in the next few weeks...

Anyone have that link that shows upcoming releases and lists what format the song is being pushed to?

But remember guys. Get Out, is not a single. It was never sent to radio, so just the fact that stations in the UK are playing the song is kinda a big deal.

As we know now, American Soul is the second official single. So we'll see how that one does here in the next few weeks...

Anyone have that link that shows upcoming releases and lists what format the song is being pushed to?

Didn't they do a video for GOOYOW?

They shot some footage for one in Mexico. But a video was never released and it was never made an official single with separate download, and made available to radio.

They also did a video in London for it. If they wanted a rock single why didn't they go for blackout

Maintains on Hot AC at #16 down some spins though. It is off the Alternative charts and barely hanging onto the Active Rock charts. Triple A it is still holding strong at #3. There is no way it is going to chart on AC for at least the next month due to that format largely switching over to holiday music.

On the overall US radio charts it's up 1 spot to 143 and fun fact, this is the first week it is ranked higher on this chart than Taylor Swifts lead single. Now Taylor Swift peaked in the top 5 with well over 100 million impressions, so it's not a comparison of success. Rather, it's just speaks to Best Things legs (albeit legs in a so so range of airplay). I still have hope that the US promo will boost the song on the radio and sales charts but we shall see.

So looks like both Get Out and American Soul are getting released to radio, over different formats. Interesting strategy. We’ll see how it plays out. I would say 99.9% chance these are the 2 SNL songs.

This strategy probably shows they are more interested in cumulative AI than the chart position of singles. It will also keep these songs a bit ‘out of the way’ of TBT if it is still going strong.

If both songs go ok in totally different formats, and TBT has 9-10 million AI, then it is possible ‘new u2’ is hitting 20 million plus people a day in the US.

It’s all about album chart position at this point, and this is probably the best strategy for that.

I made a general thread for SOE singles chart performance so we can keep track of all three songs in the same place

Thanks Dan, that will make things easier.

Just want to make note of something with regard to TBT:

Today on Hot AC in its 75th day on the chart....it tied its peak spins at 1,736 and hits a new peak for impressions at 8.85 million!

It also jumps to #141 in the overall US airplay chart, only 3 spots lower than its peak.

Over all AI stands at 10.5 million (lost Alternative and Active Rock and is falling onTriple A) and total spins are at 2,343.

The YouTube video is at 5.8 million views and will hit 6 million any day now. Should be close to 7 million by the time the album is officially released. Those views are actually pretty solid for a U2 video in only 2 months time.

I'm hoping for a little more promo in the US for the song via Stern (acoustic maybe) and SNL and hopefully some other surprise performances.

I personally prefer GOOYOW over TBT but I just feel it still has a chance to move up the HotAC charts and cross over to Pop or AC. That window is narrowing by the day and may very well be a pipe dream at this point (shit, AC has already switched over to Holiday songs) but once the holiday season is over (30 days) it might cross over to AC and still be peaking on HotAC.

It is what it is....

I like to listen to the radio when im outside doing yard work or washing cars, etc., and i can honestly say i have heard TBT more on the local radio than i can remember hearing Invisible, for whatever that is worth. In fact i did hear it friday morning when i was washing one of the vehicles.

You're the Best Thing

Triple A: #4 (Peaked at #1)
-Spins: 578
-AI:1.474 million

Active Rock: # 50 (Peaked at #41)
-Spins: 50
-AI: .393

Hot AC: #17 (Peaked at #16)
-Spins: 1,850 (this is a new peak)
-AI: 9.651 million (this is a new peak)
-Up 347 spins on the Spincrease chart, which is the 9th highest

Total Spins: 2,478
Total AI: 11.52 million

US Radio Rank: #138 (ties peak position)

Cheers Cosmo,

Any idea what the total peak AI would have been if it had peaked on all formats simultaneously? probably a truer measure of its overall success...

You're the Best Thing

Triple A: #4 (Peaked at #1)

-Spins: 578

-AI:1.474 million

Active Rock: # 50 (Peaked at #41)

-Spins: 50

-AI: .393

Hot AC: #17 (Peaked at #16)

-Spins: 1,850 (this is a new peak)

-AI: 9.651 million (this is a new peak)

-Up 347 spins on the Spincrease chart, which is the 9th highest

Total Spins: 2,478

Total AI: 11.52 million

US Radio Rank: #138 (ties peak position)

Hoping it can crack the Top 15!

Back
Top Bottom