The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like that Alternative station i was talking about earlier is playing TBT about 6 times a day now. So far at 7:30, 8:30, 11:30 and 3:30. They seem to be getting behind it. Blows my mind for a station that has never played our band.

TBT is in the regular rotation at our local Alternative station X96 in Salt Lake City (think KROQ). I've heard it at least six times over the last week...and I don't think I've heard them play new U2 since the HTDAAB era.

Our Triple A station went off the air about 5 years ago. They were the main U2 station around here for 20 years.

This pleases me, I love X96!

Looks like that Alternative station i was talking about earlier is playing TBT about 6 times a day now. So far at 7:30, 8:30, 11:30 and 3:30. They seem to be getting behind it. Blows my mind for a station that has never played our band.

I caught my local Alternative station playing TBT last night and this afternoon too.

Very pleased to hear them playing it. Surprised, but pleased.

19th October update:

TBT holds steady on Triple A, Alternative and Active Rock, but adds another 11 spins on Hot AC.

Interestingly on the overall AI tab at Kworb, it lists the formats that are included, and for the first time "AC" is also included on the list, but its not in the top 50 yet on AC? Maybe Cosmo could provide some insight into that, maybe bubbling over just outside the top 50 on AC or something? Although that wouldn't really amount to that many spins!

I just noticed this too that Kworb has the song colored in "red", which means an added format and that the format is....AC.

Like you, I noticed it wasn't in the top 50, which is odd because they make it clear that they only count songs in the top 50.

However, when I look at the All Access charts, TBT is listed on the "Spincrease" chart as being up 8 spins w/w from 5 stations. If it's up 8 spins, then it had to have at least a few spins last week, so it might be at say 11 or 12 spins. As you know, you only need 14 or 15 spins to chart in the top 50, so it is likely just outside the top 50.

Very encouraging to see some life on this format but nothing to write home about just yet.

I still would love to know if anyone can see the Hot100 Bubbling under info, since someone at @U2 said TBT was at number 106 on the pop charts, but gave no specifics on that comment.

I can tell you that as of the 10/17 chart, TBT is not on the "Bubbling Under" chart and I wouldn't expect it to be...yet.

The #25 song (i.e. #125) is "Imagine That" by Kevin Gates

Crazy fact:

Katy Perry who released an album on June 9th of this year along with 4 songs since February has only 1 song charting on all of radio at 843 at the moment. She was(likely still is with her older material) a radio Queen.

Her last album bombed and radio shows that it didn't connect with people. Her lead single did incredibly well but that is likely because it was the "new" single from Katy Perry and it got massive spins/impressions right away.

Chained to the Rhythm (lead single) peaked at 8 on US radio with 98.2 million impressions(massive radio success)

Bon Appetite (2nd single) peaked at 216 on US radio with 8.2 million impressions

Swish Swish (3rd single) peaked at 224 on US radio with 7.9 million impressions

Save as Draft (4th single) peaked at 226 on US radio with 7.7 million impressions

I know this seems off topic and speaks more to her failure than any potential U2 success but she has dominated radio for some time now and TBT is more successful on radio than her 2nd, 3rd or 4th singles. Yes, her first single smashes anything U2 could wish to succeed on Radio but she is as mainstream and "hip" as they come right now and this group of 55 year old men have a little bite in them left yet when it comes to radio!

Lastly, anyone who wants to dump on U2 for their videos, go watch "Swish, Swish" and you will think TBT is the Citizen Cain of videos.

Outside of the U.S.

TBT re-enters Spain's Top 50 Radio Chart at 27
France Hot 100 Singles chart has TBT at 70
And like the U.S., TBT is also charting on Canada's Active Rock Chart @ 12

On another note, if you select "All Stations" for the daily radio charts in the U.S., you will see TBT debuting at 48 on the AC Top 50 today.. In fact, TBT is either at, or just shy of, it's peak position on all charts when you select "All stations" for your reporting data.

Outside of the U.S.

On another note, if you select "All Stations" for the daily radio charts in the U.S., you will see TBT debuting at 48 on the AC Top 50 today.. In fact, TBT is either at, or just shy of, it's peak position on all charts when you select "All stations" for your reporting data.

Great news !!!

Outside of the U.S.

Hi believe, thanks for the info. Do you know what is the difference between the "All Stations" and the "Published" lists? Which is the more accurate or official if you like?

Thanks.

Well
Some weirdness on the radio tracking charts today.

The good news is that TBT gained spins on all formats.

The ok news. It looks like are going to be stuck in their current position on HotAC and Alternative for the foreseeable future. On AAA, they have a good shot to go from number 5 to number 2 or 3 over the next few days.

The bad news - it is showing they are now no longer on AC, after being added just yesterday. So kinda weird.

Anyway. That’s all for now.

The " Euro 200" chart shows TBT slowly working it's way back up the chart after it debuted at #24 7 weeks ago. It has cracked the Top 100 again.

97 88 37 17 IMAGINE DRAGONS - BELIEVER
98 103 6 24 U2 - YOU'RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME

As for mediabase, like i-heart radio, they have some kind of agreement/contract with big market radio stations. It's hardly perfect, as you can see when you select "All stations", which will always be higher than just what mediabase has "published". I still think TBT has a chance to go higher, especially on HAC.

Just fyi, since I have started listening to Sirius radio, almost every rock/pop/decade station seems to be playing U2. I have heard songs from every album in the past two weeks.

Tonight at 6 PM the Spectum on Sirius channel 28 will count down their own Top 5. TBT has been #1 five
of the past six weeks.

The official UK singles chart is compiled and based on sales and Spotify like streaming platforms, beyond a person hearing a song and buying it because the like it, BBC Radio 1 & 2 have no actual influence over the UK Top 40 itself.

R1 and R2 and the local stations (most of which are ever so slightly horrific to listen to for more than 0.00001 of a second) have weekly playlists, usually labelled A, B and C. U2 would currently, most likely be on Radio 2's A or B List, whereas between 1983-2000 they'd have been on R1's A List. R2 plays the "older" acts now and for a while was the more listened to station of the two. Maybe someone from back home can confirm if that is still the case? Playlisting is usually: okay here are x amount of songs we the station/label wish to play (ie. the Top 20) and you'll hear the same variation all day unless you decide to turn off...

As to why TBT stopped at that dreaded #92 in anotherwise loyal U2 market to date? dunno, I imagine more fans would have bought an extended play whether physical or digital ala Depeche Mode's recent singles, though without the 40 remixes ffs. Say, three tasteful mixes of the song itself (single, acoustic, scifi mix) and/or maybe some live JT 2017 material over a couple of formats? Perhaps then it may have then charted higher around 25-30 on 'loyal fans' first week sales and in doing so, garnered more exposure.

The official UK singles chart is compiled and based on sales and Spotify like streaming platforms, beyond a person hearing a song and buying it because the like it, BBC Radio 1 & 2 have no actual influence over the UK Top 40 itself.

R1 and R2 and the local stations (most of which are ever so slightly horrific to listen to for more than 0.00001 of a second) have weekly playlists, usually labelled A, B and C. U2 would currently, most likely be on Radio 2's A or B List, whereas between 1983-2000 they'd have been on R1's A List. R2 plays the "older" acts now and for a while was the more listened to station of the two. Maybe someone from back home can confirm if that is still the case? Playlisting is usually: okay here are x amount of songs we the station/label wish to play (ie. the Top 20) and you'll hear the same variation all day unless you decide to turn off...

As to why TBT stopped at that dreaded #92 in anotherwise loyal U2 market to date? dunno, I imagine more fans would have bought an extended play whether physical or digital ala Depeche Mode's recent singles, though without the 40 remixes ffs. Say, three tasteful mixes of the song itself (single, acoustic, scifi mix) and/or maybe some live JT 2017 material over a couple of formats? Perhaps then it may have then charted higher around 25-30 on 'loyal fans' first week sales and in doing so, garnered more exposure.

Radio 1 and Radio 2 would still have an indirect over the Top 40 as they have the largest audiences in the UK and dictate what people are hearing.... if you are hearing the songs over and over thers more chance people will download it.

All 'recent' U2 songs up to Boots would have been instantly put on the Radio 1 and Radio 2 A lists for weeks, meaning a gurantee of 1 play every 3 hours on Radio 1 and I imagine similarly regular on Radio 2. TBT was on the Radio 2 A list for about 4 weeks, but was dropped a few weeks ago.

I havent heard TBT once on local radio but have not listened much. Radio 1 did play The Fly one morning a few weeks ago and the DJ was raving about it..... shame theyre 'too old' for radio 1 anymore. Seems like in Europe its about ability whereas in UK and USA it seems to be all about image, and flash in the pan one-hit-wonders.

Also, had they released a CD/7" then especially given recent releases from Bowie, Depeche Mode and Marillion going to #1 the band would probably do very well in the actual physical chart in the UK just now. Good optics as well..

C6vp3ekWcAQidLk.jpg

U2 aren't going to sell singles anymore in the uk. They had a great run. I could be wrong but I'm more or less certain they never had a single outside the top 5 until get on your boots was released. From 2000-2009 their singles did really well, it was an amazing time for u2 in the uk.

The only chance they have is if they released it physically, that would sell because fans would buy it . It would also push the single up the charts

If they had released best thing on a Friday it would have definitely charted higher then 92. It was in the top 20 on iTunes for the first 3-4 days. Probably got in the 60-70 bracket. Noel Gallaghers new track just went in at 70 aswell so that hasn't done very well

1983 - 2009 u2 were a huge relevant singles act here. Get on your boots got to number 11 I think it was. Was constantly played on radio one and pushed by the BBC. That was the last song on regular rotation really.

U2 since boots have been a regular staple on radio two . That's their audience now.

I've heard best thing a lot on the radio but their rock channels I listen to. Virgin radio or absolute radio. They always play new u2. They played all the nloth and soi tracks. Probably not as much as best thing but they still played them. It's been used on sport packages on tv and radio.

Is it a hit here no but I think a good number of people know the songs out there.

Last edited:
Radio 1 and Radio 2 would still have an indirect over the Top 40 as they have the largest audiences in the UK and dictate what people are hearing.... if you are hearing the songs over and over thers more chance people will download it.

All 'recent' U2 songs up to Boots would have been instantly put on the Radio 1 and Radio 2 A lists for weeks, meaning a gurantee of 1 play every 3 hours on Radio 1 and I imagine similarly regular on Radio 2. TBT was on the Radio 2 A list for about 4 weeks, but was dropped a few weeks ago.

I havent heard TBT once on local radio but have not listened much. Radio 1 did play The Fly one morning a few weeks ago and the DJ was raving about it..... shame theyre 'too old' for radio 1 anymore. Seems like in Europe its about ability whereas in UK and USA it seems to be all about image, and flash in the pan one-hit-wonders.

Nick grimshaw played the fly wow maybe I should let the youngsters win in the workshop and let them have radio one on :)

Interesting to see that TBTs YouTube views were up nearly 150% over yesterday and about 80% week over week. This is likely due to them being on Fallon last night. It will be interesting to see if this gain holds and becomes a new normal or if it's a very short term bump. It gives us some insights into how these promo appearances impact U2.

Not too worried about them "fallen off" the AC format as they weren't really on it and I still think they will enter it in a couple of weeks. Also, they are still on the AC spincrease chart up 8 spins week over week.

The Best Thing is in its ~43rd day of release and hit a peak in both spins (3,019) and more importantly impressions (11.25 million).

Interesting to see that TBTs YouTube views were up nearly 150% over yesterday and about 80% week over week. This is likely due to them being on Fallon last night. It will be interesting to see if this gain holds and becomes a new normal or if it's a very short term bump. It gives us some insights into how these promo appearances impact U2.

Not too worried about them "fallen off" the AC format as they weren't really on it and I still think they will enter it in a couple of weeks. Also, they are still on the AC spincrease chart up 8 spins week over week.

The Best Thing is in its ~43rd day of release and hit a peak in both spins (3,019) and more importantly impressions (11.25 million).

U2 we're on jimmy fallon last night ?

Well, TBT has its first day of spin decreases on HotAC: -5
This is probably just a blip and increases will be back. But does signal that the song is leveling off.
Down 15 on alternative, and up 5 on AAA.

They are really close to moving up to the number 2 spot on AAA. All depends on the next 2 days.

Also, they were added back on AC after being added, then removed.
Would be great to see them hit that chart as they decrease on Rock and Alternative.

Looks like it’s good timing for the next song to be released next Friday.

Well, TBT has its first day of spin decreases on HotAC: -5
This is probably just a blip and increases will be back. But does signal that the song is leveling off.
Down 15 on alternative, and up 5 on AAA.

They are really close to moving up to the number 2 spot on AAA. All depends on the next 2 days.

Also, they were added back on AC after being added, then removed.
Would be great to see them hit that chart as they decrease on Rock and Alternative.

Looks like it’s good timing for the next song to be released next Friday.

It also finally dropped off of the Active Rock chart but that was to be expected. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make a return in the near future at the bottom of the chart.

Bottom line is that it is all about Hot AC, so let’s hope it continues to grow there.

Yep, this would be the Kworb air play tracking chart.
This is just radio, while Billboard factors in sales, streaming, views, and radio play.
Pretty similar. They are 20 on Billboard Adult Pop and number 21 on Kworb Hot AC

Well, pretty big news on the radio front for TBT today.

It enters the AC chart for the first time!! Number 49 with 16 spins. If they even get a few added spins over the next day or so, they could jump to number 40 area.

They also re enter the active rock chart, but still on the downward trend there.

They added 2 spins on HotAC yesterday and another 17 today which got them finally to number 20 on that chart! Still a big leap for them to move up any more on that chart, but they are at a new peak of spins and placement there.

They stick at number 20 on Alternative and add a few spins today after losing some yesterday. So still flat there.

AAA they move up! to number 3 and added 17 spins over the last 2 days. Hitting a new peak for spins and impressions.

And for the Overall AI - they jump up 9 spots!! to a new high of 149. With a new high for total spins and impressions. 3645 spins and 12.568 AI.

So things look pretty solid for the song right now. It has leveled off considerably after having a month or so of healthy gains. But possibly cracking into AC will push the AI to new levels. Not sure if it will stick there or not. We shall see.

Maybe Cosmo could give a little better perspective.

thanks all!!!

Really great news today, especially that it has cracked the top 150 in overall AI. I actually think that is a huge accomplishment for a band that has been around for 40 years.
Also good to finally see the song on the AC chart. I think this song is definitely in the realm of post-Vertigo Bomb songs now (and may have surpassed them in terms of total spins), and I honestly wasn't sure if we'd get there. From a radio success standpoint, the song has already exceeded my expectations and may still have some decent growth left if it can gain the AC charts.

Is it possible it will get in the billboard top 100?

I don't believe so. For U2 to get on there, they would need something extra to boost it. Because of Billboard rules, rock bands, especially older rock bands, are at a huge disadvantage because of the ratio of streaming and views in the mix.

If in the first few weeks, they have a song that is still getting decent amounts of youtube and streaming activity, radio is hitting a decent point AND the song is played on a TV show or something, so a bunch of people go and view/stream/download it in one week, then maybe they hit the Hot100.

But right now, the biggest view/stream numbers are passed for TBT, initial iTunes sales are down from the first couple weeks, and radio, while gaining on a couple formats is starting to slide on others which keeps it kind of static.

Then we have a new single on Friday. This may boost TBT for a brief moment, but then it will slide away as the new song gets the attention.

Back
Top Bottom