The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For sure. It will also put the song on all the Top 20 countdowns that air on these types of stations on weekends. Does anyone know their last song to make the Hot AC Top 20? Vertigo? SYCMIOYO?

But remember, this would be top 20 ranking on HotAC radio spins only. This is not an official chart like Billboard. Currently TBT is at number 21 on the Adult Pop Billboard chart. This would be counting spins, streams and sales into account I believe.
If TBT can keep moving up on that chart, say number 18 or higher, I think then it MAY (and that’s a big may) start getting picked up by some stations that passed on them initially. Or the current stations MAY increase their spins a bit.

This is all conjecture since a band like U2 (old) doesn’t get treated with all the same rules as a younger band might. I would love to see it get some more life in it on this format since it seems the alt stations are starting to wind down on it for now.

But remember, this would be top 20 ranking on HotAC radio spins only. This is not an official chart like Billboard. Currently TBT is at number 21 on the Adult Pop Billboard chart. This would be counting spins, streams and sales into account I believe.
If TBT can keep moving up on that chart, say number 18 or higher, I think then it MAY (and that’s a big may) start getting picked up by some stations that passed on them initially. Or the current stations MAY increase their spins a bit.

This is all conjecture since a band like U2 (old) doesn’t get treated with all the same rules as a younger band might. I would love to see it get some more life in it on this format since it seems the alt stations are starting to wind down on it for now.

I'm frankly surprised it's done even as well as it has on Alt radio, because it's not Alternative song. The Blackout would feel more at home on Alt.

I'm frankly surprised it's done even as well as it has on Alt radio, because it's not Alternative song. The Blackout would feel more at home on Alt.

Alt and Rock radio...I agree with you, it wasn’t built for those formats.

The strangest is it being on "active rock". Makes me think that the Blackout would have killed on that chart. But it would have not probably been anywhere on HotAC.

Spin update for the day:

TBT gains 37 spins on HotAC, giving it another solid day on this format. Alt is declining, AAA is pretty much holding steady.

On HotAC, they have 2 or 3 songs declining or moving a little slower ahead of them, but one moving up fast behind them. So If they were to stay around 30 adds a day, they have a shot at hitting number 20 tomorrow. But may get knocked down shortly after that. We will see.

Just a quick side note.

Does anyone know how to contact the host of kworb? I don't see any contact info on the page. But the question as to why they are not on the AC chart just keeps bugging me.

I went back and looked at the SFS chart thread, and the first thing i noticed was how similar it performed to TBT. This saddened me a little because I had a feeling that TBT was doing a bit better than SFS, but I see that it really isn't.

The second thing I noticed was that at this point with SFS, it was getting around 300 or so spins on the AC chart. This is interesting because it seems that it would (almost) account for the large discrepancy we see between the spins we add up on the separate formats and the spins that are recorded on the Total AI section.
It's almost like they are getting 3-400 spins on AC, but it isn't being entered on the AC chart.
I just chose another artist at random that was around U2's level (Philip Phillips). He charts on HotAC, AC and AAA. His total AI was only off by about 15 spins.

all very curious.

US radio update:

Stays at No 22 on Hot AC, and adds another 31 spins. Reasonable chance of moving up a spot or two to number 20 in the next couple of days.
Adds a handful of spins on both Triple A and Alternative, and drops 3 on Active Rock.

US radio update:

Stays at No 22 on Hot AC, and adds another 31 spins. Reasonable chance of moving up a spot or two to number 20 in the next couple of days.
Adds a handful of spins on both Triple A and Alternative, and drops 3 on Active Rock.

Cool. Good news to see it still staying steady on HotAC. It just shows what a leap in spins it takes to get to the top 20 in that format.
The song has been at the 22 to 25 position for about 2 straight weeks, even though they've added about 550 spins in that time. I think they will hit number 20 tomorrow, but then who knows after that...

As for Billboard - new charts out today

TBT moves up one spot to number 20 on Adult POP chart (I'm guessing HotAC format)

Moves up to one spot to 24 on Hot Rock songs chart

Drops from 19 to 22 on Rock Airplay

Moves up from 23 to 21 on the Alternative Songs chart

And it stays at NUMBER 1 on Adult Alternative chart

TBT moves up one spot to number 20 on Adult POP chart (I'm guessing HotAC format)

If I have it correct, then this is U2's first top 20 entry on this chart since Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own in 2005 (writing out the song in full as it's been such a long time :wink: ).

If I have it correct, then this is U2's first top 20 entry on this chart since Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own in 2005 (writing out the song in full as it's been such a long time :wink: ).

I believe that is correct. Cosmo could confirm.
Would love to see it hit number 18 or better, just to do better than SFS. :wink:

Also Cosmo. I saw someone over at @U2 say that TBT was #106 on the Pop charts... Do you have access to the Hot100 bubbling under chart info? I would think this could only really refer to that... I know you've been waiting for that Hot100 entry from TBT so I wanted to give you a heads up.

Just a quick side note.

Does anyone know how to contact the host of kworb? I don't see any contact info on the page. But the question as to why they are not on the AC chart just keeps bugging me.

I went back and looked at the SFS chart thread, and the first thing i noticed was how similar it performed to TBT. This saddened me a little because I had a feeling that TBT was doing a bit better than SFS, but I see that it really isn't.

The second thing I noticed was that at this point with SFS, it was getting around 300 or so spins on the AC chart. This is interesting because it seems that it would (almost) account for the large discrepancy we see between the spins we add up on the separate formats and the spins that are recorded on the Total AI section.
It's almost like they are getting 3-400 spins on AC, but it isn't being entered on the AC chart.
I just chose another artist at random that was around U2's level (Philip Phillips). He charts on HotAC, AC and AAA. His total AI was only off by about 15 spins.

all very curious.

Ill try to balance optimism and realism and avoid "fanboyism", so here goes:

The song is going to drop from the Active Rock charts very soon. That means, TBT it is going to see a "sudden" drop in total spins and impressions because what I calculate as well as Kworb is only the top 50…..its amazing that this song was played on this format to begin with and that it went as high at #41. Its not a rock song, its pure pop and joy and has no business on that format :lol:

The song is starting to weaken on Alternative but will likely stick in the top 50 for a few more weeks. It may even have a slight resurgence like The Miracle did but it hit #20 on this chart on a few occasions and thats solid. Basically, expect to see TBT start to weaken, especially without any additional push (promo performances, etc..).

Triple A: The song has fallen a couple of spots to #5 vs #3 but its actually peaking in spins. I do expect this song to hit #1 on this format but its lifespan on Triple A is only a few more weeks tops before it will likely either begin to decline or have been declining.

The above 3 formats have been great to TBT but its going to begin sunsetting on all of them soon as its not as bright when its vanishing (see what I did there). But that leads me to the most important format and my optimism is going to shine more than my realism here but perhaps not by much:

On Hot AC it is performing very well and this week it STILL has 5 new station adds! It is still one of the biggest gainers week over week and is going strong. Your comparison to Song for Someone is on the surface, right but dig a little deeper and you will see just how impressive TBT is compared to SFS and that the tank might actually still be full. See, Song for Someone was in the mid-twentys on the Hot AC chart for quite a while (just like TBT) and it peaked at ~#22 on this chart (just like TBT is now) BUT consider this…..Song for Someone entered the Hot AC chart at #49 (just like TBT did) on 7/13/15 and it hit its peak spins/impressions/chart position on 10/27/15 (you see where I am going here :hyper: ). SFS peaked 106 days after first entering the chart, while TBT has hit #22 in only 30 days and has been on the chart of a total of 37 days. On day 37, SFS was sitting at #31 on Hot AC with a mere 575 spins up only 6 spins from the previous day and only 4 spins from two days prior (i.e. it was stalled a little). Im not saying that TBT is going to follow the same trajectory as SFS but I think it is fair to say that TBT is in a significantly better position in its 37th day on the chart that SFS and if it just has 3 quarters of the staying power SFS had, that would mean it could have ~43 more days of chart life before it peaks. In other words, this song is kicking ass right now compared to SFS and its got potentially 2-3 more months to go on this chart IF we use SFS as a comparison.

Then there is the AC chart that has been such a conundrum to us. TBT is built for AC, Hot AC and Top 40 Pop. If its on Hot AC, it only makes sense that it would be on AC, so where the hell is it? It will never show up then, right? Well, consider these facts: Of the Top 20 songs on Hot AC right now, all but 3 are also on the AC chart. That means 85% of the songs in the top 20 of Hot AC are charting on AC. 100% of the Top 14 are charting on AC (only #15, 19 and 20 are not). Now TBT has been out for nearly 40 days but here is something else interesting… Cheat Codes "No Promises" is peaking on Hot AC right now at #17 but is only at 47 on the AC chart. I know, its on both charts but here is whats interesting and might mirror (I hope) TBT: Cheat Codes "No Promises" first entered the Hot AC chart on 08/07/17 and is currently peaking at #17. Well, it first hit the AC chart on 10/08/17 (2 months later) at #50. Its as if either the AC stations waited for this song to hit a certain point on Hot AC before playing it or the plan was to wait 2 months and then hit that format to max out impressions (Hot AC songs seem to stay on the chart longer than AC, so theoretically you could time the song release so that it is peaking on both formats). Now, that is only a guess on my part but wouldn't it be interesting if by ~11/6 (2 months after the song is out) we see TBT start to show up on AC?

Bottom line: Hot AC is going strong and could potentially continue to grow immensely if it trends like SFS and there is absolutely hope for TBT hitting the AC format.

These two formats, if this song can penetrate the top 15 of each , could account for 20 million+ total impressions. So what does that mean? Well, that is a massive number of impressions and would likely be enough to see movement(not sure how much) on Youtube streams of the video, iTunes Sales and potentially getting it into the Hot 100….(I think I actually hear Ax, Headache and a few others laughing at what I just wrote).

:wave:

Last edited:

The song is going to drop from the Active Rock charts very soon. That means, TBT it is going to see a "sudden" drop in total spins and impressions because what I calculate as well as Kworb is only the top 50…..its amazing that this song was played on this format to begin with and that hit went as high at #41. Its not a rock song, its pure pop and joy and has no business on that format :lol:

The song is starting to weaken on Alternative but will likely stick in the top 50 for a few more weeks. It may even have a slight resurgence like The Miracle did but it hit #20 on this chart on a few occasions and thats solid. Basically, expect to see TBT start to weaken, especially without any additional push (promo performances, etc..).

Triple A: The song has fallen a couple of spots to #5 vs #3 but its actually peaking in spins. I do expect this song to hit #1 on this format but its lifespan on Triple A is only a few more weeks tops before it will likely either begin to decline or have been declining.

The above 3 formats have been great to TBT but its going to begin sunsetting on all of them soon as its not as bright when its vanishing (see what I did there). But that leads me to the most important format and my optimism is going to shine more than my realism here but perhaps not but much:

On Hot AC it is performing very well and this week it STILL has 5 new station adds! It is still one of the biggest gainers week over week and is going strong. Your comparison to Song for Someone is on the surface, right but dig a little deeper and you will see just how impressive TBT is compared to SFS and that the tank might actually still be full. See, Song for Someone was in the mid-twentys on the Hot AC chart for quite a while (just like TBT) and it peaked at ~#22 on this chart (just like TBT is now) BUT consider this…..Song for Someone entered the Hot AC chart at #49 (just like TBT did) on 7/13/15 and it hit its peak spins/impressions/chart position on 10/27/15 (you see where I am going here :hyper: ). SFS peaked 106 days after first entering the chart, while TBT has hit #22 in only 30 days and has been on the chart of a total of 37 days. On day 37, SFS was sitting at #31 on Hot AC with a mere 575 spins up only 6 spins from the previous day and only 4 spins from two days prior (i.e. it was stalled a little). Im not saying that TBT is going to follow the same trajectory as SFS but I think it is fair to say that TBT is in a significantly better position in its 37th day on the chart that SFS and if it just has 3 quarters of the staying power SFS had, that would mean it could have ~43 more days of chart life before it peaks. In other words, this song is kicking ass right now compared to SFS and its got potentially 2-3 more months to go on this chart IF we use SFS as a comparison.

Then there is the AC chart that has been such a conundrum to us. TBT is built for AC, Hot AC and Top 40 Pop. If its on Hot AC, it only makes sense that it would be on AC, so where the hell is it? It will never show up then, right? Well, consider these facts: Of the Top 20 songs on Hot AC right now, all but 3 are also on the AC chart. That means 85% of the songs in the top 20 of Hot AC are charting on AC. 100% of the Top 14 are charting on AC (only #15, 19 and 20 are not). Now TBT has been out for nearly 40 days but here is something else interesting… Cheat Codes "No Promises" is peaking on Hot AC right now at #17 but is only at 47 on the AC chart. I know, its on both charts but here is whats interesting and might mirror (I hope) TBT: Cheat Codes "No Promises" first entered the Hot AC chart on 08/07/17 and is currently peaking at #17. Well, it first hit the AC chart on 10/08/07 (2 months later) at #50. Its as if either the AC stations waited for this song to hit a certain point on Hot AC before playing it or the plan was to wait 2 months and then hit that format to max out impressions (Hot AC songs seem to stay on the chart longer than AC, so theoretically you could time the song release so that it is peaking on both formats). Now, that is only a guess on my part but wouldn't it be interesting if by ~11/6 (2 months after the song is out) we see TBT start to show up on AC?

Bottom line: Hot AC is going strong and could potentially continue to grow immensely if it trends like SFS and there is absolutely hope for TBT hitting the AC format.

These two formats, if this song can penetrate the top 15 of each , could account for 20 million+ total impressions. So what does that mean? Well, that is a massive number of impressions and would likely be enough to see movement(not sure how much) on Youtube streams of the video, iTunes Sales and potentially getting it into the Hot 100….(I think I actually hear Ax, Headache and a few others laughing at what I just wrote).

I think this is right on. If they can hit 20m AI... slightly less than 50% of vertigo ... that is a huge accomplishment. I would guess that beautiful day hit 100m AI.... unlikely to ever see that again.

Rock on the net has a great history page on u2 top 40 chart success... amazing the BD hit #4 on radio play for 2 weeks... third biggest radio hit for them ... http://www.rockonthenet.com/artists-u/u2_main.htm

The song is going to drop from the Active Rock charts very soon. That means, TBT it is going to see a "sudden" drop in total spins and impressions because what I calculate as well as Kworb is only the top 50…..its amazing that this song was played on this format to begin with and that it went as high at #41. Its not a rock song, its pure pop and joy and has no business on that format :lol:

The above 3 formats have been great to TBT but its going to begin sunsetting on all of them soon as its not as bright when its vanishing (see what I did there). But that leads me to the most important format and my optimism is going to shine more than my realism here but perhaps not by much:

Then there is the AC chart that has been such a conundrum to us. TBT is built for AC, Hot AC and Top 40 Pop. If its on Hot AC, it only makes sense that it would be on AC, so where the hell is it? It will never show up then, right? Well, consider these facts: Of the Top 20 songs on Hot AC right now, all but 3 are also on the AC chart. That means 85% of the songs in the top 20 of Hot AC are charting on AC. 100% of the Top 14 are charting on AC (only #15, 19 and 20 are not). Now TBT has been out for nearly 40 days but here is something else interesting… Cheat Codes "No Promises" is peaking on Hot AC right now at #17 but is only at 47 on the AC chart. I know, its on both charts but here is whats interesting and might mirror (I hope) TBT: Cheat Codes "No Promises" first entered the Hot AC chart on 08/07/17 and is currently peaking at #17. Well, it first hit the AC chart on 10/08/17 (2 months later) at #50. Its as if either the AC stations waited for this song to hit a certain point on Hot AC before playing it or the plan was to wait 2 months and then hit that format to max out impressions (Hot AC songs seem to stay on the chart longer than AC, so theoretically you could time the song release so that it is peaking on both formats). Now, that is only a guess on my part but wouldn't it be interesting if by ~11/6 (2 months after the song is out) we see TBT start to show up on AC?

Thanks so much Cosmo!! Wow, i had NO idea that SFS had that sort of shelf-life on the HotAC chart. But it actually crossed my mind yesterday, because i was noticing how long other songs had been on the chart.

Even if TBT averaged 15 spin gains a day, but did it for another month, it would get them into the range of spins that the number 17 song is getting, and that would be pretty great. It starts to get even tougher to get into that top 15. They would need an avg 25 spin adds a day for 6 or 7 weeks to crack into the top 15.

My gut is telling me the song will get about 15-20 adds for another 2 to 3 weeks and then get around 5 to 10 adds for another few weeks. Getting it to a peak of about number 17 or 18 after about 85 days, before we start to see some days of small declines.
A lot of this hinges on whether U2 releases the next single on Friday...

I'm not sure they will, especially after seeing your analysis of SFS. They might want to let TBT play out a bit longer and release something else mid November ish...

The AC thing still seems just really odd to me, especially since it seems that SFS was on there from the get go right? But I do see the point you made above, that it might take a little more time since AC is probably behind the curve a bit.

Thanks again. As always, i love to see your more in depth look at things.

Last edited:
Nr 1 on Italy radio, seen on twitter.

This is amazing! Has Italy had any particular promotion of the song other countries haven't? Or is U2 just that popular there?

I mean, U2 is popular in NZ - the One Tree Hill thing is pretty respected here - but Best Thing has barely been cited. It's on radio now and then, but no exposure other than that.

Thanks again for this amazing thread you chart-literate folk!

There seems to be a pattern we're any english speaking country U2's new stuff isn't really relevant anymore, where as all the other countries Italy Spain Germany South America etc etc their new stuff still does really well

There seems to be a pattern we're any english speaking country U2's new stuff isn't really relevant anymore, where as all the other countries Italy Spain Germany South America etc etc their new stuff still does really well

That really needs to be deconstructed. What's going on there? It's baffling and very interesting!

Lyrics from recent chart topping song in UK ..........

[Verse 1]
Talkin' in my sleep at night, makin' myself crazy
(Out of my mind, out of my mind)
Wrote it down and read it out, hopin' it would save me
(Too many times, too many times)
My love, he makes me feel like nobody else, nobody else
But my love, he doesn't love me, so I tell myself, I tell myself

[Pre-Chorus]
One: Don't pick up the phone
You know he's only callin' 'cause he's drunk and alone
Two: Don't let him in
You'll have to kick him out again
Three: Don't be his friend
You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning
And if you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him

[Chorus]
I got new rules, I count 'em
I gotta tell them to myself
I gotta tell them to myself

It seems not much ENGLISH is needed to get to the top of the chart in the primary english-speaking country of the world. My daughter reading in class 4 can write better and intriguing lyrics than those and her mother tongue is BENGALI.

Couldn't even tell you what song that is :) saying that I couldn't even tell you a uk number since probably Coldplay paradise back in 2011.

Just out of interest who was the last band to reach number 1 in the uk?is it Coldplay with paradise? I can remember when that got to number 1 and it was the first band to get to number one since kings of Leon with sex on fire. That was released in 2009

The uk charts are terrible

19th October update:

TBT holds steady on Triple A, Alternative and Active Rock, but adds another 11 spins on Hot AC.

Interestingly on the overall AI tab at Kworb, it lists the formats that are included, and for the first time "AC" is also included on the list, but its not in the top 50 yet on AC? Maybe Cosmo could provide some insight into that, maybe bubbling over just outside the top 50 on AC or something? Although that wouldn't really amount to that many spins!

I’m really intrigued by the info a few posts back that TBT was at #106 on the pop chart so not too far from the Hot 100.

Can one of you chart experts tell us what was the last U2 song to make the Hot 100?

You beat me to it macawaca! Very interesting stuff on kworb today.

TBT is now listed as being played on 5 different formats! AC is now officially in the line up under the Total AI section.
Looks like Cosmos thoughts that AC may still increase late in the game may be coming to pass.

Looking at total AI numbers. It looks like TBT is getting increases on other charts. Obviously one might be AC, but possibly Pop as well. Because while their total spin increase should have been around 11 or 12, it was listed as +45 on the total AI list.

Reading on their FAQ section, it does say that the Total AI is taking spins into account that are not listed on the top 50 of the specific format charts. Now that still doesn't seem to account for the fairly large disparity from what we see in spins on the individual charts, and the total spins on the Total AI. But it does seem like the truth probably falls somewhere in between.
Right now TBT just hit its peak in spins AND in Impressions. 3556 spins and 11.642 in Impressions.
And holds steady and number 160 on the Total AI chart.

If it is finally gaining traction on AC, that could be a good start for it climbing a little higher.
I still would love to know if anyone can see the Hot100 Bubbling under info, since someone at @U2 said TBT was at number 106 on the pop charts, but gave no specifics on that comment.

On a side note. The alternative station in Tampa - 97X. Who has never once played U2 in their station in 5 years of existence, added TBT last week. It is on their top 8 countdown now as well. Number 4 two days ago, number 8 yesterday, and number 1 this morning.

I got in a good email convo with their program director and she was really positive about the song. They don't even have U2 listed on their interactive app and website to vote for, which just shows how new they are to playing U2. Hopefully it will be added soon so people can actually vote to hear the song.

Just got SiriusXM back today and am hearing it on The Spectrum right now. Which makes sense since the AAA stations in the Minneapolis and Chicago areas seem to play it a little.

Just got SiriusXM back today and am hearing it on The Spectrum right now. Which makes sense since the AAA stations in the Minneapolis and Chicago areas seem to play it a little.

Sorry to be a pain, but...
Would you be able to do the SiriusXM on demand of the Flanagan interview and record the Blackout snippet??

I got a free SiriusXM trial, so i could listen to it.

Unfortunately the clip is just of the verse portion and cuts off right before the chorus which is too bad.

Not sure. Sucks having heard the raw live version first i guess. And I'm not sure if the sound quality of the streaming is a little off, but the audio sounds a little "wavy". It might just be the effect on Bono's vocals, I'm not sure.
Definitely doesnt have the big drum sounds of the live version, but that might kick in on the chorus.

Anyway, pretty cool.

Here it is to download.

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/TYGK5yT5fX

Back
Top Bottom