The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking forward to the actual album itself. I would think on Dec. 1st that they should be able to score a number 1 or number 2 spot. Taylor Swifts album will have been out for 3 weeks and will probably have dropped off quite significantly.

Foo Fighters, which I would say probably garner about the same backing as U2 commercially at this point (aside from touring). Just went to number one with 127,000 units.

Hopefully on that October 25th date, the band gets the album up for pre-order on iTunes, Amazon, etc...

Taking the new streaming/views rules into consideration, I was thinking they most likely would get:

around 3,000 units from TBT lyric video views
around 1,500 units from the official video (depending on when that is released)
and around 5,000 or so from spotify streams
then some more from other streaming sources...

So maybe 10 to 12 thousand equivalent units to add to whatever actual album sales they get that first week.

Not sure what to expect from first week actual sales. But I would think somewhere in the 100,000 to 150k range.
Anyone have any more insight into that sort of thing??

Still think they should just do the ticket sales tie in thing like so many other artists do now. It got LCD soundsystem to number one this time around.
Would probably put U2 at the top for a few weeks.

Update for 25th September:

Good jump up on Hot AC today: up 51 spins to 493 spins total, and jumps five places to number 31 on the top 50. Also moves up to 3.142m AI as well.

Smaller steady rises on the other 3 formats it's currently charting on.

No sign of it in top 50 on AC (but this is yesterday's results really, so maybe tomorrow for AC?)

Good jump up on Hot AC today: up 51 spins to 493 spins total, and jumps five places to number 31 on the top 50. Also moves up to 3.142m AI as well.

No sign of it in top 50 on AC (but this is yesterday's results really, so maybe tomorrow for AC?)

Cool. Just a quick question for those better versed. Difference between AC and Hot AC?
I'm guessing AC is the "Hits from 90's to today" type stations and Hot AC is more totally current stuff but leans toward the more "adult" spectrum (Coldplay, Sam Smith, Adele, etc...)

Any AC update macawaca?

Any AC update macawaca?

Not charting on AC yet and still not showing on the station add chart.

I received the AC update email from Al Access(separate from Hot AC) and in the "impacting songs for 9/25" section it showed TBT.

Looks like it is still jumping in Hot AC, Alternative and Triple A but slowing on Active Rock.

Up to 1,873 total spins and 7.3 million impressions, both highs for TBT.

I found my info going back to Vertigo on most of their radio play for their singles and I'll post that later. Vertigo really was a monster!

Not charting on AC yet and still not showing on the station add chart.

I received the AC update email from Al Access(separate from Hot AC) and in the "impacting songs for 9/25" section it showed TBT.

Looks like it is still jumping in Hot AC, Alternative and Triple A but slowing on Active Rock.

Up to 1,873 total spins and 7.3 million impressions, both highs for TBT.

I found my info going back to Vertigo on most of their radio play for their singles and I'll post that later. Vertigo really was a monster!

Awesome. Thanks Cosmo.
I'm curious about what U2songs posted though about them entering the Adult Pop charts at #32. I was thinking that was the equivalent to AC...
But i guess not. Hot AC? But seems that its been on that chart already...

Any thoughts?

Yeah I don't get the difference between Hot AC and AC

Looks like video is released tomorrow, and maybe that'll help with the song's performance. I guess they're going for the slow drip method of promoting the song.

Would love to see them get a few TV spots before the last leg of the tour kicks off. But we all know Bono is drinking. Larry is injecting some new dead virus into his face, Adam is shopping for art, and Edge is creating a new mix of The Best Thing for the album ;)

Jumps another 46 spins on Hot AC in the 27th Sept update. Usual more serene progress on the other formats. Still no sign of it on AC, but Hot AC the more important format anyway.

Well, i went googling and found these definitions for AC and Hot AC...

Seems they are nearly identical with Hot AC just veering a bit younger with a higher ratio of current music...

Adult contemporary
Simply referred to as 'AC', adult contemporary music stations are aimed at people age 30 years and older. These stations offer lively contemporary music of the past decade or two without cutting edge music, rock or rap music.

Hot AC
Stations with this format have a slightly younger target audience than the ac format. More upbeat music and more cutting edge music is prevalent. Hot AC is a hybrid between pop and AC music with an almost exclusive concentration on current hits and music of the past 12 months.

I'm guessing that Billboards Adult Pop chart is pretty much HotAC.
Right now TBT enters at number 32, Higher than EBW, Ordinary Love and Invisible which didn't even chart.

Currently 22 on Alternative songs chart - Tied with Miracle, higher than EBW, Invisible, SYCMIOYO, Crazy Tonight and Stuck.

Also number 22 on Rock Airplay, which look like a newer chart. Below Miracle and Invisible, above EBW...

Number 5 on Hot Rock Songs - Highest chart position they've had - above OL, Invisible, Crazy, SFS, Magnificent, EBW and Miracle...

Number 2 on Adult Alt.

I think the biggest hindrance to U2 ever reaching the Hot100 ever again are the new streaming/views rules. It totally shifts the entire music game to a much younger demo. At least for the time being.

I know that people our age are busy mowing the lawn and taking kids to dance classes, and paying bills, not having time to watch the new Taylor Swift video 143 times with our friends dancing around our bedroom...

Airplay just doesn't cut it anymore. and bands older than 15-20 years or so have a much smaller streaming and youtube audience than newer artists.

On a side note, It never hurts to email the program director at your local station, especially HotAC, AC, and alt. I contacted our HotAC here in Tampa and they started playing it this week.

Sigh, I hate to say it. But Larry doesn't even look like Larry. You look at old pictures of him and I don't even see the resemblance. You can almost say the same for Bono at times, but it's for entirely different reasons that likely have much more to do with "lifestyle." Adam is aging the most gracefully.

It's purely anecdotal, but I think the song is really beginning to gain some traction. Several of the late 20's/early 30's folks in my office have mentioned hearing the song and liking it, and that it is "stuck in their heads." It's been a very long time since I remember that happening. I agree that the Hot 100 probably is not going to happen, but this could turn into a nice little hit for the band.

It's purely anecdotal, but I think the song is really beginning to gain some traction. Several of the late 20's/early 30's folks in my office have mentioned hearing the song and liking it, and that it is "stuck in their heads." It's been a very long time since I remember that happening. I agree that the Hot 100 probably is not going to happen, but this could turn into a nice little hit for the band.

It's difficult, because in order for people to hear it, get exposed to it, it has to get airplay. To get airplay, stations need to know there is interest... But how can there be interest if people don't know about it??
It's kind of a catch 22.

There is a possibility that this song could actually be a grower on the radio over a month or so. I think that was probably the plan by the band/management with the staggered video release and staggered radio format push.
If it can keep slowly gaining on HotAC, thats a great thing.
They are the slowest to add and increase spins, and slower to stop playing the tune as well..

Keep in mind that Beautiful Day was a very slow grower. This song reminds me of that one. The remix might chart reasonably on the dance charts and the song may slowly grow on the AC charts like BD did. It may take months.

I would MUCH rather have a slow grower than a flash in the pan like Boots.
But so much of the dynamic has changed. It used to be all about Airplay when BD came out. Now there are a lot of factors that skew heavily to a younger demo. We'll see how this plays out. But I am definitely not calling it dead yet by any means.

anyone have any updated numbers on Radio stations adds or spins for TBT??

Adds another 44 spins again today on Hot AC today, up to 619 spins total and moves up 2 spots to number 29. Seems to be Hot AC is the best format for TBT at the moment. Small adds of 3 spins each on triple A and Alternative. Not on AC yet.

Down here in South Florida, we have the alternative station "The Shark" -- an inferior successor to The Buzz from years ago.

There appears to be a decided bias against playing U2 on this station. When it first kicked off, you'd hear Beautiful Day occasionally. But when I called on an all-request weekend I was met with derision upon requesting Vertigo.

I sample the station while driving and never hear U2 played. They also have a live tracking of their spins and U2 is never listed. So I don't expect to hear Best Thing down here, unfortunately.

I'm in South FL, and just heard the Sci-Fi Soul Mix on "The Shark". I think they started playing it this week, cause they've been teasing it during the commercial breaks.

I'm in South FL, and just heard the Sci-Fi Soul Mix on "The Shark". I think they started playing it this week, cause they've been teasing it during the commercial breaks.

That's great news! I'm in Tampa and the alt station here, you can go on their site and vote up or down for what you want to hear. There's a huge catalog of about every artist you can think of. Except... you guessed it. U2. No songs available to even vote on.
Do you know who they are owned by? These guys are Cox radio.

I've been monitoring TBT play on the Shark and so far it's been getting 2 spins a day (usually one of them between 2 AM and 4 AM) as I'm sure you know, but hey -- at least it's getting played.

Great to hear the Soul Mix is getting their attention. Hope it gains traction.

anyone have any updated numbers on Radio stations adds or spins for TBT??

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 8p ET in order of Format size/importance. Scroll to the bottom for "context" and a summary of my thoughts(includes stats for singles back to Vertigo!):

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Top 40:
-Not currently charting (haven't in years)

Hot AC: #29
- #29 with 619 plays and 3.764 million impressions
-7 stations added the song (2nd most added)
-Up 334 spins w/w (7th biggest increase)

Alternative: #22
- #22 with 747 plays and 2.252 million impressions
-2 stations added the song ( tied for 2nd most added)
-Up 141 spins w/w (6th biggest increase)

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50

Active Rock: #43
- #43 with 126 plays and 0.652 million impressions
-0 station added the song

Triple A: #7
- #7 with 497 plays and 1.215 million impressions
-0 station added the song
-Up 71 plays w/w. (5th biggest increase)

Summary:

Hot AC: Continues to grow quite nicely on this format, the most important format for U2 due to its size and how closely it is related to Top 40(a song that is a hit on this format can cross over)

AC: I am still perplexed it hasn't charted yet on this format and do expect it to do so soon. TBT is built for Hot AC and AC. I just can't explain why its not there yet.

Alternative: Continues to grow on this format and being that we are still seeing station adds, I think that is a good sign. This is an important format too for U2 as its the 2nd largest (of those listed not including Top 40).

Alternative Rock: It will likely fall off of this chart within the next week or so. That isn't too much of a surprise when you consider the songs on this format and then look at TBT. This song is NOT made for this format and it falling off would not be considered a "bad sign" but rather take the fact that it even charted here as a plus.

Triple A: No more adds but it is continuing to gain and I do feel it will do so for a while. Triple A loves U2 and I can see this song hitting #1.

Now for the fun part for the chart junkies…context:

TBT today hit a high in spins (1,989) and impressions (8.34 million), so how does that stack up against other recent U2 songs?

Well,

Spins:

The 1,989 spins is more than the peak for The Miracle (1,321), EBW (1,568), Invisible (1,631) or Song for Someone (1,965). It also beats Ordinary Love, which I think peaked well under 1k. It is now entering "NLOTH" territory where Magnificent peaked at 2,417, Boots peaked at 2,436 (I don't have Crazy Tonight info). After those songs, it would start to approach SYCMIOYO (2,660), ABOY (2,715) and the champ…Vertigo (6,517)…yes, Vertigo was huge!

Impressions:

The 8.34 million impressions it more than the peak for The Miracle (6.10 m) but falls short for the moment of EBW (8.35 m), Song for Someone (8.58 m) and Invisible (10.4 m). On its current trajectory, it should pass out both EBW and SFS very soon and then begin to approach Invisible but whats after Invisible? Well….Magnificent (13.3 m), Boots (13.41 m), SYCMIOYO (14.64m), ABOY (14.94m) and Vertigo (41.16 m) and no that is not a typo…Vertigo was a radio BEAST (it was charting on Top 40).

So what does this mean? Well, TBT is performing better than almost every single since 2013 (Ordinary Love forward) with SFS and Invisible (impression wise) being slightly ahead of it. However, that bar is a very low bar and nothing to cheer at especially when you see how the BOMB singles performed. But as I and others have mentioned before, this song is a slow burner and there is a positive aspect to beating these SOI singles. See, Invisible peaked within 7 days and then fell off the charts and TBT has been going for 21 or so days and the other singles at this same point in time were all well below where TBT is.

-Invisible was the first single from U2 after NLOTH and it just died almost instantly. The impressions and spins it received were almost only due to it being new U2 and it literally disappeared within a few weeks.

- The Miracle, EBW and SFS hit their "peaks" at around the 60 day mark. That means if TBT follows that trend, it won't hit its peak for another 4 or 5 weeks and its possible it can racking up some pretty big spin/impressions in that time. In other words, TBT might just be getting started!

-Boots may have had better "peak" numbers than Magnificent but Boots performed a lot like Invisible in that it hit radio with big numbers and then dropped like a rock. Magnificent was really more successful from a radio standpoint

-The true bar for success for TBT are the HTDAAB songs as those all charted on the Hot 100 but more also were radio beasts. Think about Vertigo's numbers….41 million impressions!! thats more than the peak of all SOI singles combined and almost Magnificent too!!

Either way, reports of TBT's death on radio are greatly exaggerated and all indications are that it is just getting started. It may not end up lighting and charts on fire but its not done yet. :wave:

Cosmo Out!

Last edited:
Great update - any idea why mediabase and kworb have different spin numbers? Kworb has TBT at 2338 spins and 8.2m impressions?

How big was beautiful day?

Great stuff Cosmo, looks like it end up being the most successful single in a good while for them if the slow burn continues.

Great update - any idea why mediabase and kworb have different spin numbers? Kworb has TBT at 2338 spins and 8.2m impressions?

How big was beautiful day?

I don't but even on Kworb, if you add up the formats that it reads they are charting on, they match to my numbers. My only guess would be if there are non-charting formats that are being included like maybe a station or two on Top 40 and AC. Even the impressions on Kworb add up perfectly to what I have on All Access.

As for Beautiful Day, I don't have any info on that song for Radio play...only the Hot 100 performance.

Back
Top Bottom