The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1st Wave was playing a dance remix of a new U2 song? I thought they only played new wave/post punk from 1976-83...

The music world is discouraging when Nickelback, opps I mean Imagine Dragons' new song goes straight to #1. And the song is as bad as anything Nickelback has done. In fact it's horrible! Makes you wonder about the listeners out there.

First time I've heard ytbt with a good stereo system turned up loud. If this isn't one of U2's biggest hits then they just won't ever really have one again. I guess that's a stretch since I've only heard this song for a week now...but it sounded really good, especially the Channel 33 version.

Edit: Ch 33 is called "1st wave"

My first listen to the single mix, I didn't like the song. Now, I listen to it 5x a day and really like it. I hear new sounds almost every day and it's catchy as heck. The chiming guitar in the background of the chorus is beautiful and I am really digging the bass and drums. Take away the "a boy" lyric and this song would be near perfect for me (it doesn't even bother me anymore).

This mix makes me really excited to hear the studio mixes of Little Things and Blackout.

1st Wave was playing a dance remix of a new U2 song? I thought they only played new wave/post punk from 1976-83...

No they cover the first wave of alternative all the way up until about 1990 or so (no grunge or noise rock type or hardcore stuff though, mostly post-punk&new wave/jangle pop/indie/synthpop derived stuff).

It kind of rubs me the wrong way that they're playing a new U2 song though..

Is there a video clip for this song? I keep wanting to see it pop up on the various cable music channels that we have here in Australia but there's no sign of it.

Good jump up in spins today on Hot AC, where it adds 40 spins.
Slow and steady gains on the other 3 formats.

Good jump up in spins today on Hot AC, where it adds 40 spins.
Slow and steady gains on the other 3 formats.

Good news there for Hot AC. Any word on just regular AC format? Or are they not pushing that until the 22nd or 23rd?? I forget.
I would think that these two formats are where the real platform for this song is going to be.

Good news there for Hot AC. Any word on just regular AC format? Or are they not pushing that until the 22nd or 23rd?? I forget.
I would think that these two formats are where the real platform for this song is going to be.

No sign of it on the top 50 for AC, but Cosmo might know if it is beyond that?

No sign of it on the top 50 for AC, but Cosmo might know if it is beyond that?

I can't see past the top 50 but my understanding is that it's being pushed to that format next week. It was on the "spincrease" chart with 3 spins up w/w from 3 stations. I want to say the song is just outside the top 50 for this format because the #50 song has 15 spins.

Either way, the song has only been out for 2 weeks and is still gaining on all 4 formats that it's charting on. I'm of the belief that this song is going to be more successful than most think.

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 8p ET in order of Format size/importance.

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Top 40:
-Not currently charting (haven't in years)
-1 station added the song (only 1 station in El Paso…but it broke through the format!!) El Paso continues to rock out to this song playing it 24 times over the past week… :)

Just so I know, does this top 40 refer to the UK singles chart?

What time today will the official UK singles charts be released? In the midweek charts it was out of the top 100 completely :(

What time today will the official UK singles charts be released? In the midweek charts it was out of the top 100 completely :(

No, this refers to the Top 40 radio format in the US.

I would totally forget about the UK chart, no promo means no hope over here

I can't see past the top 50 but my understanding is that it's being pushed to that format next week. It was on the "spincrease" chart with 3 spins up w/w from 3 stations. I want to say the song is just outside the top 50 for this format because the #50 song has 15 spins.

Either way, the song has only been out for 2 weeks and is still gaining on all 4 formats that it's charting on. I'm of the belief that this song is going to be more successful than most think.

Yeah, wouldn't take much to get on the top 50 on the AC chart really as you say. The AC chart (and biggish AI numbers/exposure) is only a good format if you can get into the top 10 really. Outside of the top 10 is only the equivalent of top spot on Triple A.

Wonder if they are going to do any promo stuff for Best Thing (or SOE generally) in the 11 odd days they have free in the schedule between the San Diego show and the Mexico City Shows (assuming that those shows actually go ahead?).

Wonder if they are going to do any promo stuff for Best Thing (or SOE generally) in the 11 odd days they have free in the schedule between the San Diego show and the Mexico City Shows (assuming that those shows actually go ahead?).

Good question. I would think they would be crazy not to. But I don't know what they would do. Haven't heard anything about appearances. Not slated for SNL or anything. Sigh...

Kworb hasn't updated yet, but think it has jumped another 38 spins on Hot AC today.

It did. It also jumped 84 spins overall to hit 1,595 total spins and 6.69 million impressions. The spins are more than either The Miracle or EBW hit(although the latter had a leak of 8.3 million impressions.

TBT still trails the peak spins of Invisible (1,631) and Song for Someone, which hit 1,965. It also trails in impressions against both (Invisible had a peak of 10.1 million impressions and SFS peaked at 8.58 million).

Over all, ALL of these songs were failures on radio, so beating them would only bring you to the top of the very bottom.

2076 spins and 7.3m impressions now ... steady rise. Don't see kygo remix yet.

I would note SFS was a top 10 on AC chart and almost crossed over to top 40.. a number of stations started picking it up. My nieces and nephews even recognized it on the radio.

Last edited:
This is still a cool link to look at. U2 “YOU’RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME” | See and Hear What's Popular on Radio This Week

Also, this was the link that I was trying to find. Says it will start to impact Hot AC on September 25th. Still no definitive date on pushing to AC... Which is strange. I still think that would be their primary outlet for this song, since you know... they are old.
https://www.allaccess.com/hot-modern-ac/future-releases

If I'm not mistaken, this page showing TBT as an impacting song is for BOTH AC and Hot AC. If I'm wrong, we will find out this week :)

I think this song was built for AC and Hot AC, so I would find it odd if it doesn't chart high on both.

2076 spins and 7.3m impressions now ... steady rise. Don't see kygo remix yet.

I would note SFS was a top 10 on AC chart and almost crossed over to top 40.. a number of stations started picking it up. My nieces and nephews even recognized it on the radio.

Not seeing those numbers. I have about 1,730 spins and 6.97 million impressions across the 4 charting formats.

Yeah, saw that yesterday too. Wasn't sure why they had that many spins total? The total AI looks about right, but the spins look about 300 too much? Does it also count spins on a format where it is not in the top 50 somehow?

There is a note once you get past #75 that gives the disclaimer that the rest of the data is "very inaccurate".

I think it is directional but not the best source for the real numbers

So, supposedly TBT will be "impacting" AC format starting today. Will be interesting to see if we see any major change. Thanks everyone here for the great up to date info.

Back
Top Bottom