The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm keeping an eye on the AC format as I see no sign of TBT there but I'm optimistic it might break through. I also am keeping an eye on the Dance format to see if the Kygo mix makes its way there....

Yeah, this is the one that surprises me. AC is the bands best chance for radio play IMO. And TBT is perfectly suited for it. My hope is that the bands plan is to push have sort of a wave of push to radio. Maybe they start with the alt and rock stations and then push hard to AC to have a build up across formats instead of it being a flash in the pan.
I dunno, but it not being on AC is really odd to me.
Any thoughts?

Yeah, this is the one that surprises me. AC is the bands best chance for radio play IMO. And TBT is perfectly suited for it. My hope is that the bands plan is to push have sort of a wave of push to radio. Maybe they start with the alt and rock stations and then push hard to AC to have a build up across formats instead of it being a flash in the pan.

I dunno, but it not being on AC is really odd to me.

Any thoughts?

I really believe there is a well thought out plan for this song.

1-release the single and lyric vid
2-perform on Fallon
3-push single to alternative and triple A
4-release Kygo mix
5-release proper video?
6-push single to Dance(assumption), Hot AC and AC (AC format confirmed "push" for 9/25)

I would be shocked if there wasn't an SNL performance or another promo somewhere in the US.

I think SNL is possible, but once the JT Tour is done. Also believing that there's a proper plan for this song. For once, they might know what they're doing.

Just a little question, were the SOI singles eligible to chart in the uk singles chart? They have no chart positions in the uk at all, does this mean they weren't eligible, or does it simply mean they were eligible but didn't make the top 100?

Starting to climb again on Alternative and slow but steady gains on Triple A and Hot AC. Also enters at 49 on Actuve Rock.

As of 9/17/17, mediabase rolling 7 day charts show ytbt debuting on Adult Rock Top 50 at #23 with 201 spins versus 0 a week ago. Chart is also called Triple A...or it replaced Triple A.

On Alternative Top 50 chart, ytbt debuts at 39. with 280 spins today versus 0 a week ago.

On Canada "Active Rock" Top 50 chart, ytbt debuts at 31

The remix is featured here and will be playing in clubs this weekend:

Finally, the song debuts on several billboard charts this week as well, highest being #11 on "Rock Music" chart.

Honestly, the U.S, music market has changed so much that it's hard to know if any chart is accurate anymore imho. At least mediabase still tracks airplay, mostly, the same way it did some 20 years ago, with all the same formats since at least HTDAAB. Just North American airplay, though.

On the U.S Top 100 Sales Chart, using I-tunes, Amazon, etc., ytbt debuts at #42 this week. That chart, along with airplay, is used to compile the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Perhaps ytbt will make an appearance there soon.

Edit...sorry that some of this is already posted...I should have read through the thread first. And Billboard still looks at Triple A Chart, where ytbt is at #9, for their version of "Rock Top 40". Confusing, no?

The song is also at #41 on HAC.

On worldwide itunes sales chart, the remix debuts at #16 after being available for 2 days: http://kworb.net/ww/

U2 & Kygo - You're the Best Thing About Me
2 16 10614 +53 0.021

Last edited:
Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 3p ET in order of Format size/importance. I know most of this has been mentioned already but Ill try and provide a summary section :)

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Top 40:
-Not currently charting (haven't in years)
-1 station added the song (only 1 station in El Paso…but it broke through the format!!)

Hot AC: #42
- #42 with 237 plays and 1.672 million impressions
-4 stations added the song (tied for 5th most added
-Up 159 spins w/w

Alternative: #34
- #34 with 505 plays and 2.029 million impressions
-6 stations added the song ( 2nd most added)
-Up 224 spins w/w (5th biggest increase)

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50
-No new stations added the song
-Up 6 plays w/w (only 2 stations playing it)

Active Rock: #49
- #49 with 105 plays and 0.563 million impressions
-No New station added
- Up 62 plays w/w (12th biggest increase)

Triple A: #9
- #9 with 384 plays and 1.161 million impressions
-3 stations added the song (2nd most added song)
-Up 238 plays w/w. (2nd biggest increase)

The story here is that it cracked the top 50 of Active Rock although it isn't being added on any new stations, so Im not sure if it is being pushed on that format. Other big news is that it is being played on Top 40 radio…okay, only 1 station played it 11 times but its something. Lastly, the song is charting on 4 formats (again, not sure how long it will hold on Active Rock) and its going up on Alternative, Triple A and Hot AC. If this song continues to get pushed on AC/Hot AC and it catches, it could cross over to Top 40. Also, the Dance charts might also pick it up….Kygo mix that is.

Cosmo Out!

U2 are timeless

Good to have you in the house beLIEve!

Thanx...I can't imagine how many people there are who feel like U2 has been the soundtrack of their life...Still have my first U2 cassette called "Wide Awake in America,"

I think it was a 4-track tape, with Bad, Sort of Homecoming, & 3 sunrises/40.

That EP cassette is so worn out that most of the ink is gone. I could not believe, back in 1985, that I had already missed Boy, October, & War. So many memories of seeing them live, starting back in 1987. For me personally, I've enjoyed watching U2 on the charts.

Whether 1985 or 2017, they really have been the only band that matters for me as long as I can remember...regardless of the charts. I have so many songs that were never released...or live versions that are even better than the original studio mix.

Hard to chart so much music outside of the official albums released. I have some 50 custom playlists, and I'm sure some mega fans have more than I ever will. The way the band has botched singles releases for so many albums no longer annoys me...It's part of their DNA at this point.

For a band so universally loved, and their desire to stay relevant, it's almost comical to try to understand the marketing plans for U2. singles. Releasing "Boots" as the lead single for NLOTH was probably rock bottom...but they are the last of the dying art of making terrific ALBUMS, & they don't need any more money or fame.

It's also comical that NLOTH was the album that spawned the biggest "tour" of all time. I did not think I would ever enjoy any U2 tour more than the ZOO TV shows I was lucky enough to see...but taking my daughter to several of the 360 shows blows away all those previous concerts.

Part of me wishes that U2 would have released some of the gems that will never be played on the radio like the original "Mercy"or "Chrystal Ballroom." Maybe it's better that die-hard fans get to enjoy so many excellent songs...as well as so many versions of songs after their album debuts. I am thinking of Bullet and Running to Stand Still from ZOO TV, to Streets from Popmart, all the way to Ulraviolet Rays from 360 shows.

So I will stop rambling on...and will still look up U2 singles on the charts. But it's hard to quantify all of their best versions of each song...as they are a LIVE Band first and foremost, and so many of their songs have evolved over the years. Such a treasure trove out their to choose from!

What are the views on the U2 and Kygo remix of TBT, will they be counted together for radio airplay, or shown as separate releases?

Remix in UK

UK midweek singles charts Official Singles Chart Update Top 100 | Official Charts Company

TBT is nowhere to be seen in the top 100.

I told you it would drop and not climb.

There is no hope for U2 in the uk singles charts in this day and age :(

That same website shows this for new releases today:

DEAD WOOD
TONI BRAXTON
YOU'RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME
YOU'RE THE BEST THING ABOUT ME
U2 VS. KYGO
buy
BEACH BOYS
BEACH BOYS
WEEZER
buy
listen

Do remixes do well in the UK?

Sirius XM's Spectrum station had Best Thing at #1 this morning, for whatever that's worth :applaud:

Billboard Chart in U.S. (This will be in Sept 30 print edition)

"Hot Rock Songs" Top 50:

This Week 5 Last Week 11
You're The Best Thing About Me
U2

"Hot Rock Airplay" Top 50

This Week 22 Last Week 22
U2

Alternative Top 40

This week 30 Last Week 36
U2

Rock Digital Song Sales

This week 5 Last Week 6
U2

That's pretty cool. Would be cool to get more additions on satellite stations and curated streams on Spotify and Apple Music.

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 9p ET in order of Format size/importance.

Top 40:
-1 station added the song (only 1 station in El Paso…but it broke through the format!!)

Hot AC: #42
- #42 with 266 plays and 1.874 million impressions
-2stations added the song
-Up 150 spins w/w

Alternative: #30
- #30 with 575 plays and 2.256 million impressions
-6 stations added the song ( 2nd most added)
-Up 184 spins w/w (3rd biggest increase)

AC:

Active Rock: #46
- #46 with 113 plays and 0.699 million impressions
-1 station added the song
- Up 43 plays w/w

Triple A: #8
- #8 with 409 plays and 1.194 million impressions
-Up 168 plays w/w. (2nd biggest increase)

It hits a high in both spins (1,363) and impressions (6.02) in its 12th day on the charts. For some recent context, The Miracle didn't hit this level of plays or impressions until its ~60th day on the charts. Every Breaking Wave saw a similar length of time to hit these levels at ~60 days. As mention before, You're the Best Thing will be pushing for adds on Hot AC and AC next week, so we might see an increase on those formats. I would like to see an official video released for this song and some promo performances but time will tell I guess. :wave:

Cosmo Out!

20th Sept update:

Triple A: Up 5 spins to 412 spins, stays at number 8.
Hot AC: Up 24 spins to 290 spins, and rises 3 spots to number 39.
Alternative: Up 37 spins to 612 spins total, and rises 2 spots to number 28.
Active Rock: Up 5 spins to 118 spins, stays at number 46.

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 8p ET in order of Format size/importance.

Top 40:
-1 station added the song (only 1 station in El Paso…but it broke through the format!!) El Paso continues to rock out to this song playing it 24 times over the past week… :)

Hot AC: #39
- #39 with 290 plays and 1.947 million impressions
-3 stations added the song (tied for 4th most added)
-Up 150 spins w/w

Alternative: #28
- #28 with 612 plays and 2.261 million impressions
-6 stations added the song ( #1 most added)
-Up 165 spins w/w (4th biggest increase)

AC:

Active Rock: #46
- #46 with 118 plays and 0.696 million impressions
-No new adds
- Up 30 plays w/w

Triple A: #8
- #8 with 412 plays and 1.17 million impressions
-Up 98 plays w/w. (2nd biggest increase)

It hits a high in both spins (1,432) and impressions (6.07) in its 13th day on the charts.

Cosmo Out!

Heard ytbt today thanks to you

Sirius XM's Spectrum station had Best Thing at #1 this morning, for whatever that's worth :applaud:

Had a long drive today so I tuned in to SXM Spectrum (channel 28 for me). At Noon they did a "Top 5" countdown, and the DJ was really bragging on this song.

After it played, he said "U2's new hit single ytbt has been the #1 song for two weeks now. Tune in Friday night to see if they can make it three in a row."

Now, my Sirius is at Eastern Standard time in the U.S. I don't know what each station is "named" aside from 28 The Spectrum. Too lazy to look up channel guide, but I heard VERY different versions on channels 31, 33, and 36.

On channel 33, it was a dance/club mix for sure, but not Kygo's release. Looping dance beat and well over 5 minutes. For me personally, I have never been into U2 songs remixed for clubs...however, after just hearing it once, I think it's my favorite so far...

First time I've heard ytbt with a good stereo system turned up loud. If this isn't one of U2's biggest hits then they just won't ever really have one again. I guess that's a stretch since I've only heard this song for a week now...but it sounded really good, especially the Channel 33 version.

Edit: Ch 33 is called "1st wave"

Back
Top Bottom