The Best Thing - Chart Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up 63 spins again today on Hot AC, smaller rises on triple A and Alternative.

Just nudges past the 10m AI today too.

Sorry if the following has already been posted somewhere else:
U2's "You're The Best Thing About Me" Ranks As Hot AC Radio's Most Added Song
Encouraging that it states that it will allow it to keep on growing.

Thats a great number of added spins especially for a weekday. if they stick around 50 to 60 adds a day for even a week, they will be nearing 1300 spins and nipping at the top 20.

Top 20 is very important, because while there are a bunch of songs on this Hot AC chart, Stations really play much more heavily from the top 20 and obviously from the top 10. The number of spins jump exponentially from the lower half of the chart.
Just getting to the top 20 could give them more visibility and reason for more stations to add them and play them more.

Correct me if I am wrong, but based on some of the data shared a few pages back, in terms of spins this is U2's biggest radio hit since Vertigo. It now has over 2700, and I think the NLOTH singles never got above 2500, and the non-Vertigo Bomb singles never got above 2700.

And it looks like there's still a good but of momentum behind the song left to go!

Correct me if I am wrong, but based on some of the data shared a few pages back, in terms of spins this is U2's biggest radio hit since Vertigo. It now has over 2700, and I think the NLOTH singles never got above 2500, and the non-Vertigo Bomb singles never got above 2700.

And it looks like there's still a good but of momentum behind the song left to go!

Not sure about spins, but for Audience Impressions, it still has a way to go.

It has just hit about 10 million.
Still needs to top:
Magnificent (13.3 m), Boots (13.41 m), SYCMIOYO (14.64m), ABOY (14.94m) and Vertigo (41.16 m) and no that is not a typo…Vertigo was a radio BEAST (details provided by Cosmo)

Cosmo or macawaca - any info on just spins to compare??

Last edited:
I am wondering, why aren't the UK singles charts ever mentioned here?

Unfortunately, I think it's because U2 songs haven't had any impact on the UK singles charts for a long time, and TBT isn't charting in the UK at all.

Unfortunately, I think it's because U2 songs haven't had any impact on the UK singles charts for a long time, and TBT isn't charting in the UK at all.

Would help if they pushed things over here like they appear to do over in the US

Cosmo or macawaca - any info on just spins to compare??

I don't trust that 2700 number because when you add up the charting formats from both that very same site and All Access they total 2403( impressions total just a shade under 10 mil).

With that said, magnificent peaked at 2,417 spins and Boots at 2,437(although it exploded on the scene and then fell quickly)

ABOY and SYCMIOYO both peaked at about 2,700 spins and Vertigo peaked at 6,500 spins.

I don't have data on COBL or Crazy Tonight but both likely were the weakest performers of their albums.

I don't trust that 2700 number because when you add up the charting formats from both that very same site and All Access they total 2403( impressions total just a shade under 10 mil).

With that said, magnificent peaked at 2,417 spins and Boots at 2,437(although it exploded on the scene and then fell quickly)

ABOY and SYCMIOYO both peaked at about 2,700 spins and Vertigo peaked at 6,500 spins.

I don't have data on COBL or Crazy Tonight but both likely were the weakest performers of their albums.

Sorry, i was just using the number that Haywa1979 had stated. 2400 definitely looks accurate from what i'm seeing as well. So if they could do better in spins than Magnificent or Boots. That's pretty cool. Should be able to do that in a few days. If they can average an increase of about 50-60 spins across all formats for the next week, they will be around 2800 spins, surpassing the lesser HTAAB singles. Very cool.
Not sure where that 2700 number came from. Haywa?

Last edited:
Sorry, i was just using the number that Haywa1979 had stated. 2400 definitely looks accurate from what i'm seeing as well. So if they could do better in spins than Magnificent or Boots. That's pretty cool. Should be able to do that in a few days. Not sure where that 2700 number came from. Haywa?

I was looking at the "Overall AI" chart on kworb.net. Today it looks like it has total spins at 2,847, and "Aud" at 10.257.

Still going strong with adds on HAC, and up two spots on AAA as well.

I was looking at the "Overall AI" chart on kworb.net. Today it looks like it has total spins at 2,847, and "Aud" at 10.257.

Still going strong with adds on HAC, and up two spots on AAA as well.

ah cool. thanks for the info. The discrepancy is odd. They make the disclaimer that those under the 75 ranking can be very inaccurate. Which is strange since you'd think it would just be adding up the numbers on the other charts...
But I guess we're safe to say they are somewhere in between 2400 and 2800 range.

Hey guys. Just wanted to share this. I did a mix of TBT. I took the Sci-fi and the acoustic versions and did a mix. It gives a good build, I went with the lower register as the lead. Sorry it has a couple of tiny spots with some phasing issues, but you get the idea.

I tried to put it on soundcloud but its getting taken down right away. sigh.

Can i send it to someone and they can host it somewhere that is stable??? Pretty please. lemme know

Oohh I'd really be interested in hearing that! I love that other fan-made mix (think it was by JustPUSHPlay or some username similar to that) :D

So as of today’s reporting, “You’re the Best Thing about Me” has officially passed out the peak spins of both Magnificent and Boots! Next up are the Bomb singles.

It should be noted that “You’re the Best Thing about Me” has NOT passed out either Magnificent or Boots in impressions as both of those were in the 13 million range and TBT is just shy of 10 million, so I would not say TBT is a bigger radio hit...yet.

The song still has very strong momentum on Triple A, Alternative and Hot AC formats.

I still see no sign of it on AC, which is just strange to me as both EBW and SFS charted on that format. AC also sees a lot of common cross overs with Hot AC, so perhaps it will happen eventually.

Just a Billboard update

TBT
Drops from 7 to 15 on Hot Rock Songs chart
They move up from 22 to 19 on Rock airplay chart
They move up from 22 to 21 on Alternative Rock chart
They move up from 32 to 25 on Adult Pop Song chart

I am wondering, why aren't the UK singles charts ever mentioned here?

Mainly, radio has zero commerical effect on our official singles chart beyond enticing people to buy a song (or it did pre YoutTube) and our singles chart is based on sales and the song died a commerical death in a country where they'd always (post NYD) had Top 20 singles even up until 2009. That speaks volumes I guess. Btw - it is the first original 'for sale' song since 2013, as Invisible was a freebie and none of the SOI 'singles' were stand alones and for sale as singles, beyond later copies of the album.

In the UK we think of a hit single being measured by it's sales and (now also) Spotify type streaming services. As I said, our radio stations do not influence our chart and skew it, which I think is the correct way. A chart should be based on the public's tastes ie. what they are buying or streaming and not on the BBC or the commerical radio stations who tend to repeat their favourite 20 acts ad nauseum 24/7.

This is the US version of the UK Top 100. The main national chart sotospeak and as you can see TBT is not in it;

Music: Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart | Billboard

Last edited:
5th October Update:

Hot AC: Breaks a thousand spins today! Moves up another 50 spins to reach 1,006 spins total, and moves up to 5.612m AI.

Triple A: adds another 6 spins. Alternative: adds another 12 spins. Still hanging on in Active Rock, and no show still in AC.

Total AI looks now to be 10.443m

5th October Update:

Hot AC: Breaks a thousand spins today! Moves up another 50 spins to reach 1,006 spins total, and moves up to 5.612m AI.

Triple A: adds another 6 spins. Alternative: adds another 12 spins. Still hanging on in Active Rock, and no show still in AC.

good news again. I was hoping they would at least hit 50. and that they are still adding spins on AAA and alt. is great.

thank you!

5th October Update:

maca, could you explain all of this to me? Like whats Triple A, Hot AC and Total AI? And does this mean this is a pretty successful single?

maca, could you explain all of this to me? Like whats Triple A, Hot AC and Total AI? And does this mean this is a pretty successful single?

To be honest YBORCITY you are better off looking at some of the recent posts by the likes of Cosmo and BeLIEve who have a much better understanding of the different formats than me. Cosmo has some good commentary on how successful TBT currently is, particularly from an airplay perspective. At present it is shaping up to be the best single since the latter Bomb singles if it continues on its current path for another week or two.

To be honest YBORCITY you are better off looking at some of the recent posts by the likes of Cosmo and BeLIEve who have a much better understanding of the different formats than me. Cosmo has some good commentary on how successful TBT currently is, particularly from an airplay perspective. At present it is shaping up to be the best single since the latter Bomb singles if it continues on its current path for another week or two.

If it continues on the current path for a week or two, it will probably be the biggest since Vertigo

Here are the updates I have from Mediabase as of 8p ET in order of Format size/importance.

You're the Best Thing About Me:

Top 40:
-Not currently charting (haven't in years)

Hot AC: #24 (Peaked #24)
- #24 with 1,006 plays and 5.612 million impressions
-7 stations added the song (2nd most added)
-Up 426 spins w/w (8th biggest increase)

Alternative: #21 (Peaked #20)
- #21 with 855 plays and 2.322 million impressions
-0 stations added the song
-Up 117 spins w/w (11th biggest increase)

AC:
- Not currently charting in the top 50

Active Rock: #45 (Peak #41)
- #45 with 127 plays and 0.674million impressions
-0 station added the song

Triple A: #4 (Peaked #4)
- #4 with 548 plays and 1.48 million impressions
-0 station added the song
-Up 71 plays w/w. (2nd biggest increase)

Summary:

Hot AC: Continues to grow very well on this format, the most important format for U2 due to its size and how closely it is related to Top 40(a song that is a hit on this format can cross over)

AC: I am still perplexed it hasn't charted yet on this format and do expect it to do so soon. TBT is built for Hot AC and AC. I just can't explain why its not there yet.

Alternative: Continues to grow on this format. This is an important format too for U2 as its the 2nd largest (of those listed not including Top 40).

Active Rock: It actually gained a spin, which to me is impressive. As I have mentioned previously, TBT is not built for the Active Rock format. TBT is a more of a pop tune and I think we can all agree on that. This format is more "heavy rock" and Im shocked it even charted considering NO singles from SOI charted except for Invisible, which peaked at #28 (quite impressive) but is not nearly as "pop" sounding as TBT.

Triple A: 2nd biggest increase in plays and we are 1 month out from its initial release, thats impressive. Triple A loves U2 and I can see this song hitting #1 within the next couple of weeks (~10 to 14 days)

TBT today hit a high in spins (2,536) and impressions (10.09 million). From a spin perspective, it has more than the peak spins count of Ordinary Love, The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave, Invisible, SFS, Magnificent and Boots! Next up on the "spin ladder" is Sometimes You can't Make it On Your Own at 2,660 spins followed by All Because of You at 2,715 spins

The 10.09 million impressions is more than the peak of Ordinary Love, The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave an SFS. It trails the peak of Invisible (10.4 million) but Invisible hit that mark on day 7 of its release and then by day 9 of its release dropped to 4.4 million impressions and then by day 30 (where TBT is now) was at 2.1 million impressions. After Invisible on the "Impressions ladder" comes Magnificent at an estimated 13.3 million impressions followed by Boots at 13.41 million impressions. You might be wondering why both of those have higher impressions than TBT when they had less spins, well its all about the format and those had more of their spins on AC and Hot AC vs TBT that has a healthy mix of the "weaker" Triple A and Alternative formats.

Either way, TBT is growing on radio at a fairly healthy rate. Its by no means a "hit" but its going in the right direction as I do believe there is a strong correlation between radio airplay and sales, which will eventually translate over to the Hot 100.

Im loving this song still for what its worth. :wave:

Is the Kygo version essentially DOA? I only ask that because Kygo's latest EP sold a mere 37 copies in the US upon release last week.

I heard this song on the radio in Pittsburght today, which must mean the song is picking up steam because I never hear U2 played on Pittsburgh radio. It's only Eagles, Journey, Foreigner, Heart...

To answer your question, Triple A = Adult Alternate (alt songs that are geared toward someone like me - U2, Beck, Spoon, Manchester Orchestra, War On Drugs, The National)

Regular Alternative stations are gonna be filled with shit like Imagine Dragons, 21 Pilots, 30 Seconds to Mars, and younger artists like Lorde and Vance Joy.

HotAC (Hot Adult Contemporary) are stations that you hear that say, we play all the hits from the 90's to Today!! They mostly play current hit songs, but tilt a bit more to the more mature side, eschewing almost all rap and R&B.

Total AI = Audience Impressions. How many people are actually hearing the songs. So more spins equals more impressions, but spins on certain types of stations like Top40 pop will reach more people because they have a larger audience in general.

Hope that helps

I heard this song on the radio in Pittsburght today, which must mean the song is picking up steam because I never hear U2 played on Pittsburgh radio. It's only Eagles, Journey, Foreigner, Heart...

That's awesome. I heard it hear in Tampa on a HotAC station during the Ryan Seacrest hosted part of the day.

6th October update:

Hot AC: continues moving up, adding another 47 spins, to reach 1,053 spins total.
Triple A: adds another 5 spins to reach 553 spins total.
Alternative: adds another 10 spins to reach 865 spins total.
Active Rock: stays at 127 spins total.

Overall AI looks to be around 10.234m impressions (but listed as 10.581m impressions on the overall AI summary?).

Last edited:
Looks like it may be sort of nearing a plateau. But as long as it keeps adding spins, even in a small way, instead of declining, that's a good thing. Would love to see it climb long enough to break Magnificent and Boots AI, and top SYCMIOYO, and All Because of You in spins.
That would be a pretty damn successful run.

Back
Top Bottom